Feverishly Assembling: TerraTech Enters Early Access

How did TerraTech catch my attention when I first saw it earlier this year? It took a selection of Lego style blocks, strapped huge engines and guns to them, then made me fight other vehicles and harvest them of all their juicy wheels, motors and weapons. We’ve had a couple of opportunities to play the game at events since it smashed its Kickstarter goal and now you all can too, as the game has now gone into early access at $30.99 (£19.75).

If you’ve not had a chance to experience TerraTech yet, it’s a surprisingly polished experience. With the click of a button your vehicle gets caught up in a UFO-style tractor beam, hovering just far enough off the floor that you can rotate around and snap pieces into place, before dropping your vehicle back to the ground. You then find other vehicles, destroy them, collect their pieces and continue building your monolith of a creation. Blocks fly everywhere in a swirl of colour and carnage as you blast your enemies into resource management gold. Who knew Lego could be such a competitive sport?

A free demo from back in the Kickstarter days offers a taste of how it all works.

The game’s ‘open beta’ currently costs $30.99. It contains the main singleplayer mode, a handful of challenge maps, and one competitive local multiplayer mode. To be clear, ‘open beta’ in this case is that thing where you buy the game early for a discount, get updates as they put its pieces together, and eventually have the full game some time down the line. You know, like that other thing, not an open beta – early access, that’s it.

1. KDR_11k says:

Early Access really seems to embolden indies to charge more money, before that was a thing it would have been very unlikely for a game like this to cost over 30$. It used to be that indie games hovered around 15$ which kept the risk of buying a dud in this sparsely reviewed space manageable but now they’re hitting prices where you really need a review before jumping in.

• LionsPhil says:

I assume that that price is to match backer tiers again, as for PA, and the final release will be cheaper.

• SirMonkeyWrench says:

Aside from PA has that ever been the case thus far?

• KDR_11k says:

Only indirectly AFAIK, early access games will still go on sale as if they’re old already.

2. Evertoaster says:

No buyers remorse here.

3. Doganpc says:

All I see is single player Robotech with a heftier price tag.

• KDR_11k says:

Robocraft, right? Robotech is that Japanese series about transforming mechs.

• Bugamn says:

Robocraft is nice, I liked to play it, but I like to have my games singleplayer without microtransactions (not that I really see a problem with how those were made in Robocraft, I just prefer to play alone).

• ersetzen says:

I see a simple version of Rawbots that wasn’t canceled…

Robocraft always seemed very frustrating to me. I knew what I wanted to build but didn’t have the resources. Grinding for them with awful bots to build bots that are slightly less awful doesn’t sound like a great progression loop but maybe I just didn’t play enough.
      Not that I complain about their payment model but if I could have payed 30 bucks to unlock unlimited parts I would have done that. Let’s see how this one progresses.

Phasma Felis says:

I don’t think Rawbots was canceled-canceled, they just aborted the Kickstarter and paused development while taking on another project to build cash. Or something? Anyway, it’s not out of the running yet.

• LionsPhil says:

…and no EasyAntiCheat, the “anti-cheat” system that makes PunkBuster look competent.

Phasma Felis says:

It’s got multiplayer. It also has open-world mining and harvesting, base-building, and (ultimately) various AI modules with which to build an empire of fully automated scout, harvesting, transport, patrol, and escort vehicles.

Any of that in Robocraft?