Far Cry 4 Is Out And Some Other Quick Thoughts

I’m only a couple of hours into Far Cry 4 – we didn’t receive any pre-release review code – and it is very Far Cry so far. In just that little play time I’ve scaled radio towers, ziplined down from radio towers, hang-glided off mountains, driven jeeps off mountains, delivered packages under a time limit, stabbed people in the throat with knives, shot people in the throat with arrows, baited a bear into killing a guy, and hunted and skinned different kinds of animals in order to make a fetching bag.

Are you playing it? Hop below for some very brief thoughts, and to leave your own impressions in the comments.

I’ll have a proper review to come later this week, but here are my first impressions:

1) It took me two hours to get it to work.

Because I had a HOTAS flight stick plugged in, and apparently that causes Far Cry 4 (and previously released Ubisoft games?) to hang on launch. This is obviously an easy fix, but it took me a while to work out that this was the culprit. Dashed were my dreams of piloting an elephant like a fighter jet.

2) Bloody heck, it’s pretty.

From the first scenes it sells Kyrat as a paradise, and does much more successfully than any previously visited tropical island. Maybe that’s simply because I’m more inclined to enjoy verdant forest thrust alongside tall snowy mountains instead of beaches and palm trees, but I’m enjoying the crisp blue skies and the increase in opportunities to fling myself off high ledges.

3) I’m not really sure what my character’s motivation is.

Pagan Min seems like a bad bloke, but I’ve instantly fallen in line with a rebel army looking to take back the country. What are the bets their motives aren’t pure? And what are the bets this only derails the reason I’m supposedly here: to scatter the ashes of my dead mother. In fact, as I crawled through a wolf den, firing arrows at explosive barrels to help an old lady in turn to help a young lady, I feared I might already have been derailed.

For a game about a civil war, right now both sides seem weirdly apolitical. Trailers have already established Pagan Min as a dictator, an indiscriminate murderer, and the intro to the game makes clear he’s using torture, so perhaps he’s simply in it for power and money. But what do the freedom fighters stand for beyond “not this guy”? The liberal application of bunting perhaps, but I think they ought to maybe have given me a pamphlet with their manifesto. Something to suggest that I should join their case.

This is all made worse by the overarching scatter-the-ashes quest reminding me of this Louis CK bit every single time I have to snap a dislocated wrist back into position.

4) At some point Far Cry turned into Skyrim-with-guns and I didn’t realise.

I think this was an observation people made about Far Cry 3, but it never gave me the feeling that Bethesda’s open world RPGs do. Far Cry 4 already has. I’m hunting deer, picking flowers, crafting potions, levelling skills and at regular intervals the game sings about “NEW ACTIVITIES” that have just been unlocked. It’s a big, pretty, adventuring playground, and the whole experience feels more like Oblivion-with-guns than Fallout 3 did. So far it feels more like Skyrim-with-guns than it does Far Cry 2.

5) I’m having fun.

I liked Far Cry 3 a lot and so far this is that exact formula but in a place that feels fresher and more immediately varied. I will have analysis of systems and missions later, and I’m curious whether the repetition wears me down as I make my way through it, but for now I’m looking forward to playing more.

1. padger says:

Argh, I forgot this was today. Downloading!

• razum says:

ACTIVATION PROBLEM! Many people on steam who buy it Can’t play! No Activation code – no option to see it on menu on steam! And support of Steam and Uplay don’t anwser!!! Please help!

• Raztaman says:

It’s not on steam… Is this a troll?

• tmw says:

It is on Steam, but I think it might be region-locked. I’m in the US, and it shows for me.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Only UK is locked down as far as i know, probably because they have some laws that might screw with Ubi’s recent… “efforts”.

2. Penguin_Factory says:

I’d love to play this, but I’m experiencing a gigantic host of debilitating graphical glitches (shadows too dark, shadows not showing up at all, no lighting, if I try to turn the anti-aliasing down to improve the inconsistent framerate everything goes completely bonkers). Also the mouse movement seems really jerky and weird for some reason. I had hoped the new Nvidia driver would fix things, but nope.

I do most of my gaming on my PC, but there are times like these I severely wish I had bought something on a console so I could just stick the disc in and have it bloody work. It’s only happened a few times where a game has mysteriously refused to play nice on my hardware (as opposed to widespread problems a la Battlefield 4) but every instance makes me want to throw my PC out a window.

• BlackAlpha says:

The shadows issues should’ve been fixed by the day-1 patch.

The mouse issues are still there. It might be fixed eventually, as the mouse acceleration option is broken (it doesn’t do anything) at the moment.

• cafeoh says:

Without the day one patch (version 1.3.0) switching to the lesser SSAO fixed the problem for me.

When it comes down to the mouse, well… There is mouse acceleration (aiming gets extremely slow when you’re trying to aim slowly), negative mouse acceleration (the mouse speed is capped, I’ve heard, as I play with a pretty low sensibility anyway), input lag (I’d estimate around 100ms, which isn’t the worst ubisoft has ever done, but combined with the mouse acceleration makes aiming really unprecise if you’re used to raw mouse input games). Input lag is probably partially due to the fact that Vsync can’t be turned off (not in the options, not in the .xml file, not even on AMD Catalyst), even when trying really hard (jerking my mouse horizontally when looking at vertical patterns like bars or posts) I can’t get any tearing at 40-50fps on a 96hz monitor.

Looking at the changelogs it appears a lot of patching has been done, but far from enough. I’m afraid that none of those problems have ever been patched on any recent Ubisoft games (far cry 3, blood dragon, watch dogs, call of juarez I believe) so don’t get your hopes up if you’re an I/O nazi like myself.

• fish99 says:

Unbelievable that developers still can’t program a linear mouse in 2014. It’s less work than an accelerated curve. I wish they’d just get it through their thick skulls than no one wants a non-linear mouse in a game.

• mukuste says:

It’s generally the OS which imposes mouse acceleration on the input (on the desktop it’s generally a useful feature). So you have to do some extra work to circumvent that.

• fish99 says:

That’s not actually true. Yes there’s a mouse acceleration tickbox in windows, but DirectX takes direct raw mouse input and bypasses that setting (I’ve just tested this with one of my own programs which had nice predictable linear input even with that setting ticked).

(I only tested it briefly btw)

• ffordesoon says:

Half-baked conspiracy theory I’m not sure I believe: Ubisoft intentionally hobbles PC ports to drive players to consoles.

• Baines says:

Possible, but then you get games like Assassin’s Creed Unity where every version acts hobbled.

• Buuurr says:

“No, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but Ubisoft’s decisions rarely make sense, so.”

Examples?

• ffordesoon says:

I normally hate it when people just link to videos instead of explaining shit themselves, but I’m tired and a hypocrite, so I will let Jim Sterling explain it for me:

PC ports
          Diversity
          Framerates
          Collector’s Editions

Apologies if you don’t care for Sterling, but I feel he explains why Ubi is stupid for doing these things rather well.

• Ztox says:

Awesome, thanks for linking Jim. I haven’t heard of him before but just like Croshaw, he really tickles me.

• smeghamr says:

Christopher Biggins has let himself go

phuzz says:

More likely they’d rather spend money on the consoles, and they know people will buy it on PC even with bugs. Er, like you have.

• ffordesoon says:

Heh. That would be a good point if I had bought it. I didn’t, and I’ll probably get it on PS4 when I do. Because of the bugs and uPlay and all the bullshit that a Ubisoft PC port entails. Which kind of feeds back into my point, semi-facetious as it was.

EDIT: Though I’m probably giving Ubi too much credit and assigning malice to simple apathy.

• BlackAlpha says:

Well, apart from the mouse acceleration, it’s running pretty smooth for me.

• HothMonster says:

They make more money per copy on PC sales than console, no licensing and certification and patching fees and all that faff. And surely the easiest way to drive people to consoles is to not spend millions of dollars making a PC version, if it doesn’t release on PC people are pretty well driven to consoles.

• ShadyGuy says:

Try setting Ambient Occlusion to SSAO instead of another more demanding form of AO. That helped fix the Shadows of Darkness issue for me.

Qazinsky says:

I am glad that the mouse problem is mentioned early in the comments since that’s actually a big problem that people considering buying it should be aware of. It really is terrible if you’re more of a “wade into the fray and quickly hip/ADS people”-type rather than picking them off at range, since your precision wont matter much when you mouse decides to skip several pixels or slog behind in a critical moment.

3. Ansob says:

Given how phenomenally bad the writing in FC3 was, I’m not sure how self-aware this is, but this is what happens if you decide “sod this whole rebel army deal, I’m going to do what I came here to do” and just stick around when Pagan Minh asks you to instead of running away: link to youtube.com (some very minor spoilers, obviously).

• Koozer says:

That’s great.

• Great Cthulhu says:

Awesome even. Just knowing that that’s in the game gives me an increased feeling that my actions actually matter.

All you have to do to win is just act like a normal person. Brilliant!

• SuicideKing says:

Hahaha! Brilliant.

• Ross Angus says:

Excellent. That’s sold me the game more than anything else I’ve seen.

• P.Funk says:

Its like a big FU to all those single player campaigns these days that murder you for being out of sync with the scripted sequence.

Makes my day that.

• Martel says:

That was great, thanks for posting it.

4. SIDD says:

I’m sure I will enjoy the game immensely … you know … as soon as I can connect to uPlay to validate my serial number….but guess what … “There seems to be a problem with your internet connection” …. eh No, Ubisoft…there seems to be a problem with YOUR internet connection…

Oh well…
    Good thing I wasn’t planning on playing until the weekend.

(Edit: Anyone out there that know if I can register this in offline mode? Still installing from discs so haven’t quite gotten that far yet)

• ElDopa says:

Just crack it if you have problems activating it.
      You bought it, so I don’t see a reason why you shouldn’t be allowed to do that.

• ulix says:

I’d wait with cracking. The cracked version (at least for some cracks) still has several issues, like not bein able to save certain kinds of progress, or not being able to save at all…

5. Creeping Death says:

Watched a video of this earlier in the week and the moment I saw it was “just” more Far Cry 3 I immediately knew I’d be picking it up at the end of the year. My one question though, for those that have played, do the character models in this game have a weird halo of black around them like they did in Far Cry 3? Because that always bugged me a bit.

It was like Jason could read everyone’s aura, and everyone was a miserable prick.

• Zeriel says:

That’s caused by ultra shadows. Try turning them down and see if it helps.

6. ResonanceCascade says:

That Louis CK bit came to mind for me as well, as did the penultimate scene of The Big Lebowski. My family also has had some major ashes scattering fails on my wife’s side of things.

If I ever die (geez, why did I type it that way — of course I’m going to die, we all are), I want my ashes scattered next to the dumpster outside the crematorium. No need to be a nagging pain in the ass from beyond the grave.

• Jad says:

Don’t sell yourself short, ResonanceCascade. I have faith that you will become the first immortal human being.

TightByte says:

Well, since you asked; no, not playing this. That entire uPlay thing is still offputting enough for me that I struggle with getting excited enough to make a purchase at the current price point. Not entirely unlike when someone pees in your cereal; what previously looked inviting can now comfortably be ignored until there’s literally nothing else to eat in the whole house. There’ll come a time when this is cheap as chips, and that’ll be the time for me to come back and answer this question with a resounding maybe.

• khomotso says:

I’m with you. This one’s for the bargain bin. Too many other, better games out to get sucked up into this one upon release. FC3 was fine, but not worth paying full price. And after just jumping through Origin hoops for DA:I, my patience for proprietary publisher platforms has worn thin.

8. Freud says:

They should streamline it and you just go around killing 3D icons.

9. Michael Fogg says:

I feel weirdly uncomfortable with the notion of riddling a big old elephant with machine gun bullets…

10. Gap Gen says:

Take up the White Man’s burden, put it on your PC,
    Gun down the foreign people from the mountains to the sea,
    Rampage in with elephants, blood splatter on the walls,
    Make a picnic basket from a hundred leopard balls

• MrUnimport says:

If fighting in places that aren’t the war-torn streets of Europe during yet another Russian invasion is imperialism, then call me Jingo.

• commentingaccount says:

Does White Man’s Burden count here? You don’t play as a white guy…

• GenBanks says:

If FC3 perpetuates the notion of the White Man’s Burden then so does Heart of Darkness or Apocalypse Now. It’s more about white people getting in above their heads and screwing things up (although that’s probably over-intellectualising it).

• Ostymandias says:

well heart of darkness is quite obviously an intentional criticism of colonialism. can the same thing be said about far cry? no idea about no 4, but from playing a bit of 3: well most definitely not. despite the silly claims made by that script writer post-launch.

but you don’t actually play a white guy? “The player character is Ajay Ghale, a Kyrati-American”
        ok so what was the need to make the character guy made up ethnicity-american other than a contrived (according to article above) backstory about mother’s ashes yadda yadda?
        well: Identification

the problem with “The White Mans Burden” is that it actually advocates imperialism and racism. Far Cry’s and most videogames are simply too lazy to care and just subscribe to whatever existing order of things that lets them ship more copies. In this case (surprise) white male power fantasy

some postcolonial analysis here yes please (and feminist, and LGBTQ, and so on and so on!) but mostly I would just like game developers to stop being so predictable.

If you really must have a main character be white and a mr dudeguy, set your civil war simulator in 17th century Scania and let me play as a danish insurgent fighting the swedes
        or in Donbas on either side of the Ukrainian conflict
        or just stop it

• Spider Jerusalem says:

I love you.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Well, Far Cry may not be a good criticism of imperialism, but it god damn tries, bless its heart.

You do hit the nail on the head – the MC isn’t a “white guy” but, culturally, he is. It’s the same thing.

• Techne says:

well: Identification

I’d say the necessity is introducing a character having little knowledge of the area or its history but who has a reason to be there, so you can teach the player the surroundings without dissonance – and as to why Kyrati-American as opposed to Kyrati-Eskimo/African/Chinese/Polynesian/Whatever is due to a (perceived) need to be relatable to the primary Western audience, yeah identification. I’m not far through the game enough to say if that’s addressed at all by narrative. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

I was a bit off-put actually in the opening hours to find it so similar in gameplay and (subtly improved) graphics to Far Cry 3 (which I enjoyed a lot) but it’s growing on me.

• toshiro says:

What a nice comment. I come to this page for the articles and I stay for the comments, this is oasis like really, in relative terms to the rest of the web.

I think that since the male power fantasy is a norm in video games all AAA games will do it because to some degree these companies are run by quarterly minded economist types, with as much interest to change anything about the world as a high ranking nazi officer had back in the day, But as Tarantino among others have showed us, few concepts are more under-developed than the “no empathy killing machine, but a girl”, and vice versa.

11. Michael Anson says:

While I purchased, Far Cry 3, and played completely through the story, even completing a good portion of the game in the meantime, and had a great appreciation for the story and characters, I won’t be playing Far Cry 4. The game is very well characterized as a conflict between very unpleasant people, and while such stories are important, and the game was worth playing, I’d rather not play through it again.

• stringerdell says:

seems a little strange to focus so much on the plot of an FPS game where you ride a rhino into battle but fair enough

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Well, the plot is unavoidable. At least to a degree. Much of the game is locked behind story progress. I’d probably enjoy it a lot more if, like in Skyrim, I could fuck off right from the beginning and do as I pleased.

• apa says:

Quite my feelings exactly. I recently finished FC3, even the not-commonly-appreciated plot + characters kind of grew on me by the end but one game of the same is quite enough. The last one took almost 2 years and mostly I played it to enjoy the scenery. Now I like the old FC2 even better, with its well-known problems.

It’s the same thing with this as with GTA5: years of development, millions of cash and the result: same-o with a few improvements. Really? That’s the best we get?

• fish99 says:

Compared with GTA4 I’d say GTA5 improved on quite a lot of stuff. There’s a ton more stuff to do – let’s face it outside of the story missions there was nothing worth doing in GTA4. 5 also has a much bigger map, 3 protagonists and character switching, heist missions, significantly improved visuals (IMO at least), the new multiplayer mode, planes, jetskis, tons of activities, buying property, better shooting mechanics etc. Really I don’t know what you were expecting. At it’s core it still has to be a GTA game.

• apa says:

Yeah, I know I feel the way I do mostly because of my own expectactions. In both GTA and FC the open world is so well created and immersive I’d want to live there but the missions and plot rip me out of my own little bubble. I’m expecting to play something that isn’t a part of the franchise :/

• fish99 says:

I can understand that. I spent my first few hours in GTAV just walking everywhere (i.e. not driving) and admiring how real the world feels, and it is amazing at first, but of course there isn’t the depth there to sustain it.

12. Puppaz says:

I’m playing Farcry 3, from the sounds of it there isn’t so much difference.

• pancakeru says:

You’re not wrong. I just watched the first 30mins on youtube, and it is almost identical. You still need to climb up towers to synchronis- i mean liberate that section and unlock that part of the map. You still have all the same activities/quests. Even the animation for skinning has been reused from Farcry3. The only thing I got was that this was a re-skin/expansion of Farcry3 packaged up as a new game.

Ubisoft seem to have just stopped trying at this point. All their games use exactly the same fucking mechanics. Its ridiculous.

13. SuicideKing says:

I hated the story in FC3, but I’m tempted to play FC4 because of the location (close to home) and how good it looks. After all, I did have a lot of fun with FC3’s open world mechanic. Probably wait for the 5th patch lol.

14. CookPassBabtridge says:

Oh this is out is it ok ok fine I will buy it now where are my slippers I have a nice cup of tea and a repeat of The Avengers is coming on

15. neofit says:

Is it the same “not quite persistent” world that we had in FC3? As in you can save anywhere, but will only reload at prearranged locations, and every item, corpse, animal or NPC would have respawned/disappeared/regenerated?

• Csirke says:

Yes it is. Did that bother you?

I think it’s because this way you have to do a whole Outpost in one go. I mean, if normal quick saving/loading was available, I know I’d load as soon as I screwed up my stealth. This way, I usually improvise, and I probably have more fun.

• neofit says:

“Yes it is. Did that bother you?”
        Obviously, if I’m asking. I have no patience for this non-persistent crap. I was only fooled about FC3 by the reviewer here, who coyly said “yes” when asked about a save-anywhere feature, knowing full well that by this people also meant proper “load where saved” functionality too, but FC3 was just a GTA in a jungle.

16. CookPassBabtridge says:

Also does this run at Cinematic Frames Per Second, like another Ubisoft title?

17. Syra says:

No Steam, no sale.

• Monkeh says:

link to store.steampowered.com

Or was that meant as a joke? :P

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I DEMAND THE INCOVENIENT, BARELY DISGUISED DRM I ALREADY USE INSTEAD OF A DIFFERENT INCONVENIENT, BARELY DISGUISED DRM THAT’S PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING

• foop says:

Personally, I find Steam to be a barely-disguised DRM that works rather well and meets my needs. Origin is a bit rubbish but fairly robust. uPlay is a steaming pile of ordure that rarely fails to bugger around with my game in some way. From automatically putting saves in the cloud and then corrupting them, to failing to authenticate the game in the first place, it’s done it all.

I know I will have to have uPlay to play FC4, but I don’t want to encourage Ubisoft by actually giving them money through the thing.

Harlander says:

The amount of inconvenience is different!

Also, if you got it on steam, wouldn’t you end up being saddled with both IBDD mechanisms?

18. Marclev says:

They want _£49.99_ on it on UPlay for the standard edition.

_£49.99_

Did I mention _£49.99_

?????

That’s outrageous, does it come bundled with illicit drugs or something for that price? £29.99 is to be expected, £34.99 would just about fly for a 10/10 game. But _£49.99_? Who do they think they are?!

Time to wait a while for the price tag to come down to a reasonable level, I think!

• fish99 says:

So don’t buy it on uplay. I can find it for under £30 without looking too hard.

• foop says:

Entertainingly, in the first few places I’ve looked online the boxed limited edition version is significantly cheaper than the standard digital download. They’ve abandoned all pretence of sanity in game pricing, haven’t they?

• Marclev says:

Interesting, the implication being that buying it straight from the publisher digitally is more expensive than buying it from reseller boxed, i.e. the pricing is such that they’re allowing their direct to consumer distribution channel to be undercut by quite a wide margin.

I guess direct purchases aren’t very high on their agenda at all for some reason!

19. Monggerel says:

One of the characters (Pagan Min’s magic friendgirl) is called Yuma and I felt really weird about that. Maybe it’s a real name (sounds more Japanese than Chinese to me but I’m no expert on such matters) but hearing it not long after rereading Blood Meridian in a game about slaughtering people for not being white enough somehow does not sit very well.

• Blackcompany says:

I love Cormac McCarthy’s writing. His words paint pictures. Sure they are often bloody, violent, depraved pictures of the absolute worst humanity has to offer. But the art style itself is pretty, right?

After No Country for Old Men and the The Road, I always intended to read Meridian as well. And immediately afterward, I will probably launch into that extended Discworld marathon I keep putting off.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Keep in mind that Blood Meridian is nowhere near McCarthy’s best writing. Too many “The sky looked like…” and “The bodies looked like…” and “The tree to his eyes looked like…”. The background of the story is fantastic, but the writing is uncharacteristically stale. You’re much better off going to one of his other books.

• Monggerel says:

Well, Blood Meridian is not really meant to be enjoyable, stylistically or otherwise. Actually reminded me of the Bible quite a bit.
          As for repeating phrases; yeah, he does that all the time on purpose. That’s kind of a thing across his other works as well.
          My personal recommendation, I’d say go and read Outer Dark and Suttree (assuming you are physically able, in the latter’s case. it manages to be more difficult than Blood Meridian).

None of this is relevant to Far Cry though. The only part that matters is how fucking stale and horrid these games really are once you look even slightly beyond the surface. Their messages are muddled, confused and trivial. All they know is your own voyeur supergod status as merciless player-archon.

• unit 3000-21 says:

That’s good to hear. I started with Blood Meridian and found it magnificent, if his other books are even better then I’m in for a treat.

• Phendron says:

He says that he will never die.

• Monggerel says:

And the day that day was as beautiful as any day that ever was and he was riding an elephant to its death.

20. Gwilym says:

What you describe in the opening paragraph isn’t ‘very Far Cry,’ it’s ‘very Far Cry 3.’

21. PopeRatzo says:

3) I’m not really sure what my character’s motivation is.

Why did nobody ever say this about the main character in Hotline: Miami?

• Monggerel says:

Because Hotline Miami told you straight up without mincing any words.

“I’m here to teach you how to kill people.”
      “Why are we having this conversation?”
      “You people have wasted enough of my time already.”

That’s about as short a summary of the game as I can give.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Because the main character’s motivation in Hotline: Miami is to kill all the dudes in the room, then walk out of the room. That also happens to be the player’s motivation. In FC4, the main character’s motivation might be something about his mom’s ashes but the player’s motivation might be to arse around and ride elephants. At some point the player gets tired of arsing around and tries to remember what the main character wants to do but the player’s already forgot it. You don’t have the luxury of getting tired of arsing around in Hotline: Miami.

• Wowbagger says:

And this is why arse is a better word than ass, assing around just doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Harlander says:

True, but calling things “bad-arse” just sounds stupid.

There’s a place for both in our wide world of words.

22. zat0ichi says:

“Far Cry 3 … this is that exact formula but in a place that feels fresher and more immediately varied”

My thoughts exactly

23. Monkeh says:

Regarding your fourth point: the things you mention are almost exactly the same in Far Cry 3.

24. Buuurr says:

So… going by what I’ve read here and filtering out all the first-world-problem bullshit – it seems like a pretty awesome game. Thanks, guys. It’ll be on my list for next week.

25. Jimbo says:

Get to choose between this and AC: Unity (or some driving bullshit) with that Nvidia ‘Pick your Path’ promo. Quite relieved that at least one of them seems to have turned out ok and not intentionally vandalised by the developer.

26. scannerbarkly says:

Game launched 25 hours ago and I still cant get it to run. It seems that either my mouse or my keyboard is causing it to crash everytime I try and load it. GG Ubisoft.

27. Gordon Shock says:

Gee, the first paragraph sure don’t make it tempting to pick it up…been there done that.

28. Csirke says:

For those complaining about the game being about “hunting down symbols on the map”, well, if you don’t like that, don’t play that way. This is now an option, because you can filter what your map shows, and even turn off the objective markers or the minimap from the options.

I personally always turn off all the collectibles and loot chests on the map, so if I want to find them (and I do want to find them), I have to look around the beautiful world they have created, and imagine where loot can be hidden. It’s great! I also enjoyed Far Cry 3 that way, but I had to install a mod to remove those symbols from the map, now it’s built in.

Granted, it’s not perfect, I have to set up these filters every time I start the game (I left a post on the Ubisoft forums about this, but I’m not holding my breath). Still, it changes the game from symbol hunt to real exploration, and that is what some of you want, right? :)

• Gordon Shock says:

Glad to hear there is an option to hide icon, because why bother exploring when it’s all there in the map. Was there a mod for FC3 than made the plants rarer? Because you couldn’t make 3 steps without fumbling upon one. Needless to say I felt that FC3 was always holding my hand and would not reward me for exploring it’s rich a vast setting. I sure hope things are better this time around

• Csirke says:

I don’t think there was a mod that made plants rarer, but there were mods that made the crafting recipes more expensive, so you didn’t always have all the plants you need.

(It’s much easier to edit the dozen or so recipes than edit the whole world :) )

• apa says:

Oh? That, switch off the quick travel and add dialogue with the non-plot NPCs and I would’ve liked FC3 much more! (I complained above about the franchise)

• Csirke says:

You can turn off the fast travel icons on the map, which disables fast travel. The only problem is, as I said, that you have to do this every time you start the game, sadly.

In Far Cry 4 there is dialogue with non-plot NPCs! Well, they talk at you, and you can prompt them to talk at you a bit more, Ajay doesn’t say anything to them, but oh well. They comment about current events and stuff, it’s better than nothing.

Also, “apa” means “dad” in hungarian, so to me, your nick sounds very parental :)

• apa says:

I heard that in swedish “apa” = a monkey, so don’t go calling your dad that :D

29. Jimbot says:

Pretty interesting thoughts on the story. But I’d take muddled motivation over that white power fantasy horseshit from the 3rd game. That crap just made me feel uncomfortable and I really came down on the game, despite me enjoying the gameplay.

30. onodera says:

I am not happy that buying the game on Steam in Russia doesn’t give you an option to play in English. Do they want to avoid people gifting cheaper games to Americans and Brits?

31. abrokenchinadoll says:

The one thing I hate about this game..is the f’ing birds. I hate those Black eagles. They hurt..and I can’t shoot them down half the time. Otherwise I’m loving the game (for ps4) I’ve enjoyed every bit of it minus the ridiculous tough animals..i sometimes feel really underwhelmed. I kinda wished the guns were a bit MORE customization .I wish it wasn’t just cut and dry (some weapons have this and that..you can buy earlier or wait to unlock.) I always have such a large amount of money left..i end up buying stuff because you get money far too quickly :/

Qazinsky says:

Yeah, the suprise birds and three wolf-lite packs that just suddendly bites you in the arse while you’re trying to stalk your prey is really annoying.

I never got the cliff racer complaints in Morrowind, but these birds…

• abrokenchinadoll says:

Money management in this game needs to be fixed. How can a piece of gum be worth 1200(whatever their money type is) lol..

Matchstick says:

While the mechanics are the same Far Cry 4 > Far Cry 3 as it has both controllable Autogyros and Elephants.

The Autogyros in particular make it a lot easier to zip all over the place unlocking the towers for free guns.

33. PoulWrist says:

It’s funny how “Very far cry” is no longer about killing giant mutant apes :(

34. cunningmunki says:

Can I switch off the minimap? Yes/No
    Can I switch off the button prompts? Yes/No

Oh, and is there a quicksave option? Yes/No

• Csirke says:

No. (That’s a bit stupid I agree, because so much of the interface can be customized.)

35. Shardz says:

Personally, I am awaiting Just Cause III. The graphic bells and whistles are nice, but nothing beats a true open sandbox realm to thrash around in. Now that is a story every second waiting to happen.

36. AsianJoyKiller says:

Wow. Mouse acceleration you can’t actually turn off regardless of the setting. Serious input lag no matter how many settings I turn off or turn down, and despite a stable, reasonable framerate. Keybinds that when rebinded cease to function, and other keybinds simply aren’t labeled correctly. And for some reason I can’t figure out, half the bushes and trees I run across appear to be 2D planes…

What the Hell is this?

I’m not asking for much. Just that basic fucking shit works right.

37. Toupee says:

Nobody mentioned co-op yet. Once you finally get it working (seriously, screw uPlay’s horrible, horrible system — why can’t they just support steam invites natively?) (oh, and you both have to get about an hour into the game before “unlocking” it) it’s AWESOME. So much fun.