Freeware Garden: Where’s Tango?

Where’s Tango? is a game which revels in the voyeuristic observation of posh cocktail parties. It’s a tense experience that’s all about deduction, observation through a sniper rifle’s scope and remaining unseen and deadly in order to protect your client and kill their wannabe murderer. Or romantic rival – it’s never really explained, but I’m hoping for murderer.

It’s also, yes, broadly similar to Spy Party, the long in-development, long in alpha competitive spy/sniper/party-observing game, but Where’s Tango? was created by Eldritch developer David Pittman for the Procedural Generation Jam.

You perform your protective/murdering act by spying on two dozen stylized 3D people who are roaming around a procedurally generated virtual dollhouse and having fun. They are eating, drinking, talking and even flirting while you are watching and trying to deduce who your quarry is. You are following leads regarding your target’s gender, hair and skin colour, clothes, interests, favourite food and/or attractions. You right click on potential subjects to mark them and, when you are sure, you finally left-click to shoot your target dead.

So it’s a lot like Spy Party – albeit simple and singleplayer.

You’ll immediately know whether you were right or wrong in your choice of murder subject and, then, start all over again. This time though you’ll be more confident, less troubled by the ethics of the killing-people-thing and thus able to appreciate the excellent audio Where’s Tango? has to offer, as swing and lounge music are seamlessly blended with ambient chatter and party noises.

Oh, and before you go on and enjoy this lovely freebie, here’s a tip: as the game lacks an ending that doesn’t involve you firing a shot, it’d be better you gave yourself a time limit — say, two minutes to find and shoot your target. Things will be more tense and interesting this way.

1. tormos says:

I think that there have been several posts in recent days missing the “not spy party” tag. A part of RPS’ subtle misandrist campaign against Chris Hecker?

• tormos says:

actually this comment was about ethics in free indie games journalism

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

:D

• demicanadian says:

I guess you’re either sexually frustrated insecure spinster, or balding man-baby living in parents basement.
        And now you’re going to gang up your friends and twitter harass me for this comment.

• Penguin_Factory says:

*insults someone for making fun of a twitter hashtag*

Go ahead, persecute me for this! I dare you!

• Monggerel says:

*bang*
            *camera pans over smoking gun, to the mysterious and brain-dashing stranger holding it*

Well,
            *drum roll*
            the fuck you lookin’ at?
            *audience spontaneously combusts*

• demicanadian says:

I’m calling the cyber police.

• tormos says:

actually it’s about ethics and victim posturing in RPS comments

2. grom.5 says:

…as the game lacks an ending that doesn’t involve you firing a shot…

You lied to me. My client was gunned down while I wasn’t looking at him. It was quite a shock.

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Oh, my I’m so very sorry. It never, ever happened to me. I even left the thing running for ten minutes just to make sure…

• grom.5 says:

No problem. It was … well, pleasant to fail in this way.

I guess it’s kinda rare for your target and your client to be alone in one place. I wonder how does it works as your target doesn’t seem to really follow your client.

And while I got you, thank you for your recommendation. You made me try many different interesting games. Keep on the good work.

Harlander says:

Talking of jams, has anyone played anything out of the most recent 7DFPS?

(Where’s Tango? is in in the 7DFPS as well, somehow? …)