Robots In The Skies: Project HON

Project HON is a game about mechs dropping out of the sky to have a block party. In the trailer below, you’ll see one plucky fellow rollerblading along the seafront and two clumsy chaps taking part in a breakdance competition, which takes a turn for the worse when they accidentally clobber one another with their giant flailing feet and fists. Oops! The party doesn’t stop though – everybot involved is happy to laugh it off and carry on with the festivities. One gargantuan guy takes a ride on his motorbike, which is contained within his pelvis, and the fun only stops when two lairy chumps who’ve had one too-many gallons of crude oil beat the ferrous faeces out of one another.

NCSoft are behind the game. It’s a PC exclusive, for now, running on Unreal Engine 4 and due out sometime next year. More details should be available soon, as the game is appearing at the G-STAR event that starts today, and hopefully we’ll find out something about payment models and the like. Piloting a mech that can pick up a cargo container and slap a tinier machine half-way across a city should be a blast but it won’t be quite such an attractive proposition if every piece of kit costs a few quid.

The melee combat does look great though – cables launched into opponents so they can be reeled in and clubbed into smithereens, using a nearby bus as a weapon. I’d be surprised if any singleplayer mode was available, beyond some basic training, but the surprise would be a pleasant one.

Here is a pointless thirty second bit of fluff to go along with the footage above.

NEXT CHALLENGE

1. Noxman says:

I await actual gameplay with anticipation. Pretty clear that 98% of that trailer was in-engine concepts for gameplay and not the game in action.

2. demicanadian says:

Meh, looks like CoD without blood (is there even blood in CoD?), not like big machines.

• Makariel says:

1.) Giant robots would be a nightmare in terms of balance and force distribution (all that mass on relatively small foot surface area? to beat such a robot army you only need a bit of rain in the English countryside)
      2.) I would have understood if someone said “looks like hawken” or “looks like heavy gear” or “looks like mechwarrior with smaller mechs” or “looks like armored core”, but CoD of all things?
      3.) yes there is blood in CoD

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I can sort of see the comparison. I think it would be more apt to say that it looks like a COD *trailer*. Everything is exploding and moving in slow motion, sometimes simultaneously, but never for very long before it cuts to the next scene.

3. sonofsanta says:

TRANSFORMERS: robots in de skies!

4. lowenz says:

Project HON? Project Nimbus Twin? :D link to store.steampowered.com

5. NinebreakerN7 says:

So it’s Armored Core meets Exsteel? May be worth watching.

6. Moraven says:

Robotech Cyclone armor? Sold!

7. Hex says:

These giant mech slugfest games always make me want a proper successor to Front Mission 3.

Mmmm, turn-based mech goodness.

• dannyblackeyes says:

Hex, you made my day with your Front Mission 3 comment. Took me a half hour to remember my damn login just to say, thank you, it is easily one of the best tactical games I’ve ever played, with a ridiculously stylish plot and atmosphere. The mechs themselves were just perfect too, the mechanics of building your team and their equipment in tandem, evolving them along with your tactics as the game progresses… just brilliant. The character roster deserves honorable mention, too.

• Hex says:

:D

I’m glad you agree. The game is certainly fertile ground to be used as inspiration not just for future turn-based tactical fare, but for any game wanting the explore the nature of a deep story with a wide cast of characters with unique personalities.

Not to mention games which desire to include an element of internet researching. I loved the way the implemented the nets in that game.

They just did so much right. It’s a shame that the follow-up was such a disappointment.

EDIT: And really probably my favorite thing about the game is how well-realized and interconnecting the two plot-lines you can choose to follow are. When I played the game about 15 years ago, I expected this to be the New Big Thing that show games’ superiority to other media for story-telling purposes: you can have a player live through every thread of a story, experiencing, owning, and digesting the actions of the protagonist.

And yet.

8. communisthamster says:

Looks like a poor mans armored core, with QTE’s and ugly floaty explosions

JiminyJickers says:

Looks good, but yeah, I’d be surprised for a single player mode too.