Introducing The Brucemobile: Batman – Arkham Knight

Batman’s taste in cars has changed over the decades. The new trailer for Batman: Arkham Knight shows Rocksteady’s integration of the Batmobile into their particular brand of urban exploration and fisticuffs. The driving sections aren’t relegated to minigames or interludes, the vehicle is right there, in the thick of the action. In the scenes below, Batman uses his car to fight some tanks because, for reasons that I don’t understand, he is beating up a sci-fi army. It’s a good thing his car is the most advanced piece of military technology on the planet. He used to drive a Sedan.

This is the first part of a trilogy of trailers, with the next due on December 1st. Based on this early evidence, Arkham Knight will prove that Batman’s mission to clean up the streets of Gotham has failed. Within the continuity of the Arkham games, his quest for justice has seen an uprising in the asylum, the conversion of the entire city into a mega-prison and now occupation by an army of robot ninjas, or something. This is the opposite of clean streets, Bruce. This is a goddamn mess.

Here’s the trailer.

No no no. Here’s the trailer.

Things sure have changed since the concept art.

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

The Batmobile looks like the very definition of “shoe-horned in” in this trailer.

• jezcentral says:

Just what you need in a non-lethal fight against crime.

• Timbrelaine says:

I was thinking about that when he broke the fuse box with somebody’s face. Like… I don’t think that thing was set to stun, Batman.

• mechanixis says:

Yeah, it makes it look like you use it exclusively to drive back and forth across one bridge. Guess there’s not much hope this time around for a freewheeling open-world Batman game where you can drive around Gotham looking for crimes.

2. karthink says:

This would be improved 47% with POW and BIFF annotations.

3. MuscleHorse says:

Not to sperg over this, but it was only an already rubbish part of Gotham that was walled off and prison’d, not the entire place. That would be silly. As would turning a part of the city into a prison.

4. jonahcutter says:

It looks like it flows well, but bat-tank gameplay seems so out of place with the style of the series.

Shadows of Mordor gave us its nemesis system, which is far more Batman than blowing up robots with a tank. I wish Rocksteady had done more something that seems Batman-esque as this game’s big evolution. Some real detective gameplay would of fit well, instead of the hollow “crime scene analysis” it has been so far.

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are two truly great games. I absolutely love them. Rocksteady has earned a lot of trust from me at least. But man… bat-tank vs robots really puts it to the test.

• Dilapinated says:

I agree with all your points. Better detective mode (Not sure how that’d work, tbh. LA Noire’s would certainly be a step in the right direction) and the nemesis system (has EA copyrighted that?It seems like a logical extension to the sheer amount of hype they pushed into it. If so, how far will devs be able to stretch it?) are both natural Batman fits. I’d like to see more combat complexity, too, I found Asylum/City to have a kind of sleepy, mostly-watching flow to it that while it works, pales in comparison to other 3D beat ’em up titles (MGR:R, Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta/anything from Clover/Platinum). Still, the sheer crowd-focused aspects of it work well with the increasingly large, arena-style level design they often go for.

• KenTWOu says:

EA? Both games have the same publisher – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

• aleander says:

Maybe it’s my inner Burton > Nolan, but I agree so much – I generally like batmobiles the more they go tank-ey. Turbine with an afterburner? Sure! Turrets and stuff? Nay!

EDIT: oh. And nemesis. Please introduce the nemesis thingie. Everything needs the nemesis system. Even pac-man. *Especially* pac-man.

5. SuicideKing says:

It’s a car! It’s a mech! NO! IT’S THE NEW IMPROVED ARMED TO THE TEETH BATMOBILE!

CATCH-A-RIDE!

6. Turkey says:

I think this is from the part in the game where Batman gets sprayed with the scarecrow’s gas and has to face his greatest fear of being stuck in a generic video game filled with sci-fi soldiers.

7. grechzoo says:

why is the game sooooo ugly, it should look better right? i mean is “current gen”, i have seen unreal engine games look great, this looks horribly dingy. even as an art style choice its so god damn unappealing.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

I said exactly this about all three Nolan bat-films.

• Asurmen says:

Can’t say I agree. Think it looks fantastic, but all of them so far have so maybe I’m biased.

• KenTWOu says:

I guess, it looks a little bit outdated cause its rendering method and materials are not using modern techniques.

Phasma Felis says:

I’m looking forward to seeing (a) how they manage to justify a high-tech army where roughly half the soldiers are armed only with fisticuffs (b) how crippled they have to make the Batmobile to ensure that you can’t shoot or run over any human baddies with it.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I read somewhere that it automatically tazes pedestrians, which launches them safely out the way. Obviously. Better that than “Desynchronised: Batman did not kill civillians”, I guess.

Ninja Dodo says:

Those sure were some non-lethal takedowns.

Maybe it’s unavoidable but the insistence on the “no killing” Batman rule gets to be sort of comical beyond a certain point.

– You just electrocuted that guy in the face.
    – No no, he’s unconscious.

Game looks spectacular though.

• drinniol says:

I wondor how many he’s killed through concussions and broken bones being left unattended in the last two games?

• Asurmen says:

There were some goons who, after being strung up and losing conciousness, were totally cut back down to a drop of at least 2 metres on their head/neck in front of their mates. I did that for roleplaying reasons rather than gameplay of freeing the gargoyle for more stringing up. However, given the above description it probably means I killed/crippled a few.

Opps.