A Little Extra Darkness: Dark Souls II Revamp Coming

Heeey there buddy.

Gawd bless the new generation of consoles and the revamped re-releases of recent games publishers are putting together to take advantage of them. This gives us the nice knock-on effect of our games getting better, prettier, and generally fancier. Dark Souls II is the latest getting the revamp-o-release treatment in Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, a bundle including the DLC.

More than that, it’ll also improve graphics, add new NPCs, improve matchmaking, boost performance, raise the playercount, and other fine things. Some of those features will come in a free update, but others I’m a little hazier on.

Here’s the new stuff publishers Namco Bandai say is coming to the base game in that free patch:

• Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience.
  • Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.
  • Augmented item descriptions.
  • Improved online matchmaking functionality.

A DirectX 11 version adding this other stuff is also coming with Scholar of the First Sin, though Namco Bandai are a little less clear about whether this’ll be in the free update or if folks will need to pay for it. “We’ll have lots more info in the next month regarding PC versions/upgrades/etc. so stay tuned,” they’re saying on Twitter.

• Additional upgrades to graphics, sound, performance.
  • Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).

Fingers crossed that this fancying-up includes updating the lighting to look more like those moody early trailers, with those dark shadows that became all washed-out by the time the game launched. The announcement trailer certainly seems to have a few dark-dark places:

Scholar of the First Sin is due on April 7th, 2015 – in North America, at least – so presumably the patch is arriving around then too. I’d been planning to finally start on Dark Souls II over Christmas, but might hold back now. Hmm!

1. Anthile says:

My first thought: Ugh, I have to update my guide yet again.

It remains to be seen just how free it actually is. The press release is a bit vague on that.
    Some notes:
    -There seem to be much more enemies in the trailer than there should be. Hard to say if that is just trailer hype or if they have some horde mode going on.
    -Guardian Dragon in Heide’s? Perhaps we finally see the Dragonrider riding a dragon.
    -Definitely some new stuff in the trailer. I hope we can get the coveted barrel armor at last.
    -The upgraded graphics bit sounds promising. Maybe we get to see the promised lighting?

• Prolar Bear says:

I didn’t see this coming at all, to be fair. I have the season pass and I actually feel entitled to get the revamped features for free.

Economy aside, this revamp could be all DS2 needs. It’s very close to being as great and memorable as the first one, and some slight tweaks like improved area transitions, more NPCs and item descriptions there is potential to improve one of the best games of the year.

• lordfrikk says:

You need to improve your reading comprehension then, because the Season Pass never claimed to provide you with every bit of post-release content, it always said it’s only a glorified and convenient package to get all the three announced pieces of the crowns trilogy, nothing more.

• zentropy says:

This was obviously planned all along. Was actually waiting for this to happen to even consider purchasing this again, now just to wait for the inevitable sale… ;)

• Anguy says:

Might I ask where one could access your current guide? :)

2. Spacewalk says:

In fact the announcement trailer is so dark-dark it has fifteen seconds of black screen at the start of it.

3. Eukatheude says:

Good, will have my new pc ready by then and hopefully with enough time to enjoy the game BEFORE the update and realise what has changed.

4. Penguin_Factory says:

Hmm. I had been planning on checking out the DLC at some point, I might wait for this instead.

5. skyturnedred says:

If developers keep this up, I might just have to properly upgrade my PC soon. And I just upgraded to GTX470! (As a temporary boost in performance, it was so cheap I felt dirty for two weeks.)

6. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s all rather confusing to me, the PCG article seems to suggest that the standard DS2 will receive some extra content that might be different from the one found in the revamped edition ( aside from graphics and previous DLCs ), but it might be just some unclear wording or me being on a mushroom trip.

In theory the extra content should be the same for both aside from the newer one getting also all the DLCs by default and the graphics, that’s what common sense tells me at least, but then the elephant in the room is still unaddressed: will the new version be heavily discounted if i own both DS2 and the season pass?

I’d surely pay, say, 15+ euro on the upgrade, make it 30 if they implement Inquisition’s character creation!

PS: i hope that trailer is very early stuff that has nothing to do with the possibly upcoming DX11 update because better god rays alone can’t fix the lighting and the shadowing, and that’s all i’m seeing so far.

7. Memph says:

It seems the Steam community discussions (who’re referencing Neogaf translations and the like), are claiming confirmation that dx11’ll be a seperate entity and not a patch/upgrade by way of DLC. Characters untransferable between dx9 and dx11 versions and on seperate servers, splitting the playerbase.

Namco best have it’s Jester’s coat on then, for the quite possible back-lashing on this’un. Particularly after the previously endured silent, but nasty downgrade to globally illuminated skankovision.

8. Lobotomist says:

Please please please – add darkness (dynamic shadows and light) all the pre-release previews had !

That alone would make it NEW game completely !

9. Monggerel says:

That there drake seems mighty out of place. Or maybe the interchangeability of Heide’s Ruin and the Dragon Aerie is the joke?
    Hm.
    I should give this further consideration and then post a video discussing the fucking lore in the fucking videogame. Grumble. Grumble grumble swirls and tumble on my drunken cranky arse.

10. Voqar says:

“Gawd bless the new generation of consoles”

No thanks. Nothing has had a more negative impact on PC gaming and PC game design than the existence of the major consoles.

I’d be fine with consoles ceasing to exist and ceasing to bring down the quality of PC games.

• Asurmen says:

That’s all well and fine, but you simply have to cope with reality: Consoles exist. Man/Female/Gender neutral pronoun up :P

New console generation = boost in capalbility = better than no new console generation at all.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Seeing as how this current gen of consoles has had little to no influence on the PC realm outside of crappy ports and anti-consumer policies, I have a hard time believing we’d be worse off without consoles.

• montorsi says:

Ah yes, if only people who develop crappy console ports would have devoted themselves to developing crappy PC only games. Gosh, what a better place the world would be.

• zentropy says:

If only… :'(

11. SkittleDiddler says:

This. This is what the latest “Next Gen” has brought us. For-profit proto-remakes.

Thanks, console plebs.

12. supachigga says:

The WORST part about this is that this splits the community. The original DKS2 and remastered DKS2 will have separate matchmaking and servers. WHAT!? Characters, achievements, and saves DO NOT carry over.

It just goes to show that Scholar of the First Sin is being made with a “console” mindset. Of course Bamco has to make the new version appealing to new console owners with new features, especially if they owned DKS2 on the older consoles.

However, on PC, this is the absolute worst way to implement a remastered version. There should never be 2 different versions of a game on the same platform. Scholar of the First Sin should be applied to the base game of DKS2 so it DOESN’T split the community. It’s so obvious that Bamco can’t be bothered to implement these changes to the base game on PC and are instead just porting the new version from Xbone and PS4 to Steam.

WELCOME TO 2015! ENJOY YOUR NEW GENERATION OF CONSOLE PORTS.

13. baozi says:

I guess DaS games are like TES games, buy them after a year when all the DLC is included in a GOTY edition.

14. dfuse says:

Being a few years behind in my backlog seems to pay off! I was waiting for Dark Souls to migrate to Steamworks, when that is finished I can buy the revamped DkS2 in a sales and after that one I can pickup a used ps4 and Bloodborne for a few pennies.

15. statistx says:

For a Company that stated before release that they will make no DLC, they handle their DLCs pretty good :p