‘Where Is My Hammer: Destroy Everything!’ Is Its Name

Smashy smashy.

You know that bit in Red Faction: Guerrilla where you hit things with a hammer and they explode? It’s great, that bit. Where Is My Hammer: Destroy Everything! is, you might have already guessed, about bashing things to pieces with a hammer. Walls? Smash ’em. Your car? Wreck it. Your art collection? Well, you hardly seemed to be using it. If you appreciate wanton destruction, take a few minutes out, put your feet up, and smash some things in this free game.

I do like how things you smash can fracture without immediately falling apart. It’s a small touch I enjoyed a lot while studiously smashing my every possession to pieces. Well, almost every possession. In the end, it’s just us, our hammer, and the void. We can’t smash our hammer, and we can’t smash ourselves. Powerful stuff to contemplate.

No, it doesn’t accurately simulate real-world physics. Yes, the world is made of preset slabs rather than perfect procedural materials. But you get to smash things. Do you see? Smashing.

Where Is My Hammer was made by Last Knight developers Toco Games for Indies VS PewDiePie. It’s a game jam where folks are competing to have their creations played by the excitable chap who has – oh my giddy aunt! – 32,430,781 subscribers on YouTube as I write this.

The jam sets an interesting challenge, wanting games that are more silly to watch than they are necessarily fun to play. A fair few games in recent years have clearly tried to be YouTube-friendly, but rarely so wholly. I’ve had a crack at a dozen or so of these jam games and found most wacky but a bit dull. They don’t let you smash everything, that’s their mistake.

1. GameCat says:

You can’t touch this.

2. Monggerel says:

Now there’s a sma- nevermind.
    I’ll go delete every online account I ever made now.

3. padger says:

More hammers in games, please. I’d play a full game of this.

Oh wait, that was Red Faction Guerilla.

4. Igor Hardy says:

Reminded me of THAT scene in Citizen Kane.

5. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

My favourite part in Red Faction Guerilla was when I had to free a dude from a prison but couldn’t find the door so I just smashed the wall. Then I found the door.

My least favourite part was literally everything else.

6. Jakkar says:

This does not bear comparison to Red Faction: Guerilla on a technical level – RF:G simulated the entire building as an object under stress – and individual fragments of material had weight and momentum that could seriously damage the structure/other structures/entities in the local environment. The engine would run rapid refreshes to check for structural stability and tension placed upon joints, beams, walls, floors etc, with the constant risk of collapse once the structure has been destabilised.

That was the artistry of the demolition gameplay – a single well-placed charge or strike or a single beautiful accident with courtesy of a panicking civilian driver could bring a large structure down, even while guards ran around inside panicking or trying to find a good cover position to fire on you.

I’ve been killed by flying fragments striking my character’s head hitbox during an explosion, for example – a flying girder has lanced through a structure eliminating a load-bearing support and caused secondary collapse in a separate structure.

This game is just a set of shatter models with no real weight or interactions. You can levitate most of the structure by eliminating supports that don’t have any real influence upon structural stability as a whole.

Pity, you got my hopes up. I want more destructive physics simulators ;-;

• LTK says:

RF: Guerrilla got my hopes up for being like you described, but in practice all buildings were held up by a few impossibly strong support beams and things like concrete bunkers would not collapse until I hammered away the final piece of rebar. It was rather disappointing.

This game, though. I played it until a physics glitch catapulted me sideways into the void and the game froze. 10/10.

7. jezcentral says:

So, Receiver and Wonderful End of the World had a baby?