Die With Pals: Take On Mars Adds Multiplayer & Survival

Go on, take your hat off. I dare you.

What’s the point of going to Mars if we can’t asphyxiate beneath beige skies? Where’s the triumph if we’re all invincible? If I am not allowed to burst my own head by removing my helmet, I don’t even want to go to Mars. You might as well send a robot instead.

Arma makers Bohemia understand the need for peril, and for people to share that peril with. With the latest Take On Mars update, they’ve added “survival” bits and multiplayer to their Martian roving simulator. Is space-scurvy a thing? I guess we’ll find out.

Marsonauts can now build self-sustaining colonies together, piecing together buildings, farming food, recycling waste, and generally trying not to die on a planet that’s wholly barren and would kill us within minutes unprotected. I don’t know how harsh Take On Mars is, whether it goes for realistic slow asphyxiation and a pleasant slide through hypoxia, or if it’s all a bit Total Recall. I honestly couldn’t tell you which I’d prefer.

Anyway, on the survival side, Bohemia say Marsonauts will need to balance “oxygen, food, water, vitamins, and more.” This includes taking your protein pills, one imagines.

Multiplayer’s using a save system which gives every player gets a copy, so presumably you can continue your Marsbase with other folks if you have a horrible space-falling-out. No one wants to be stuck millions of miles from home with a load of jerks.

The update also adds loads of other stuff, from atmospheric processors and player sounds to a VTOL aircraft and The Chuffing Moon. Check the announcement and this video for more:

1. Ansob says:

Oh, damn it. This is exactly what they needed to do to get me to buy it. Here’s hoping it goes on sale in this week’s Thanksgiving sale, and that it will let me recreate my lifelong dream of RPing Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars trilogy.

• Joshua Northey says:

I am desperately waiting for Red Mars the game. I want every version of it. Grand Turn Based Strategy, Base Management, RPG, RTS, Walking Simulator, I want it all :)

• Gap Gen says:

Seems like it’s ripe material for something like Wurm on another planet. I do like the idea of the game branching out once you establish a small base, or even a full-on colonisation game where you have competing factions and construction projects.

2. slerbal says:

I bought this when it first appeared on Early Access and they have added an impressive amount of new features over the development. It’s not been fast development by any means, but still nice to see it moving along. Adding MP was a good move! :)

3. SlimShanks says:

If you’re going to Mars, make sure to bring some yodeling music. I hear it helps with the natives.

4. Notelpats says:

Guess it’s time to reinstall this.

5. Ergates_Antius says:

For anyone who likes the sound of Mars based survival, I recomend reading “The Martian” by Andy Weir.

• Congo says:

Right on. I actually just got this book a few days ago. I’ve only read the first few chapters, but it’s got me hooked! Can’t wait to read it more, but responsibilities keep getting in the way.

• gi_ty says:

Oh my goodness I bought this after reading your comment then looking it up. Wow I haven’t been able to put it down yet! Thank you so very much.

• statistx says:

Nice, I was looking up comments to see if this was allready here or i would have done it myself.
      Great book, finished it yesterday and if you are one of those People (like me) that only have time to read on their way to work and get puke-status sick from reading on Trains, you might consider the audible audiobook, read by R.C. Bray who handles the characters wonderfully.

6. Joshua Northey says:

I wonder if developers track how many people have a game in their wishlist? This is definitely something I will buy whne it is done unless the reviews are atrocious, likely at full price. At any time I have probably 20 games sitting in the queue like this waiting until I think they are far enough along to warrant purchasing.

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

Anyone know if this is going to have rift support?

8. studenteternal says:

I think I have to support any game that adds suit donning And doffing!

9. Chuckleluck says:

Never heard of this before. I wonder, is it built on the same horrid engine as Arma and DayZ? I love you, BIS, but your engines are garbage.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

As far as I know, Take On Mars does not use the same engine as Take On Helicopters, ArmA, and DayZ.
      It’s made using a different engine and possibly a different team.

BIS has acquired at least a couple other small game developers that it operates as subsidiaries, and I vaguely recall reading somewhere that most of the Take On Mars dev team and codebase comes from one of those.
      (correct me if I’m wrong)

• uajii says:

You are wrong. They don’t operate as subsidiaries anymore. Majority of those developers works on Arma and DayZ now. However you are right that Take on Mars uses Enforce engine.

10. Kerr Avon says:

I could be wrong, but is the idea of a growing permanent Mars colony (with the ultimate aim of terraforming?) rather a BAD idea, since there isn’t really any working magnetoshpere? I mean, I thought the core in Mars was DEAD, therefore no magnetic field protecting human life on the surface from solar radiation for any significant length of time (human lifetimes). Perhaps it was once active in the past, but not now. On Earth we have of course a working magnetosphere with a liquid outer core of magma moving around a solid iron core creating the field, which we can visibly see as the Aurora Borealis. I’m sure I remember Professor Brian Cox saying just this. Unless humans are planning to live deep underground the surface of Mars in caves to escape the radiation?

• farrier says:

Kim Stanley Robinson probably has some workaround for that in his Mars Trilogy. I don’t remember what the explanation was since my eyes would glaze over for several pages at a time before they got to setting up the colony. But it’s actually a fantastic set of hard scifi novels. He can get a bit too absorbed in the details, even for hard scifi, and some people think his dialogue is a little wooden on occasion, but usually the detail is great if you’re into that sort of speculative fiction. And the intrigue and politics that take center stage about halfway through the first book are pretty gripping.

• Kerr Avon says:

Thanks for the recommendation, farrier. Not read any KSR as yet and I was searching for some new hard sci-fi recently too, thanks! Oh and as far as Mars colonies go, yes aleander I wouldn’t be surprised if there is already some form of “secret” base(s) on Mars for some time, very likely underground as the main living space with short trips to the surface. Only for the select few “Elite”, naturally. I think if ever there was a human mass-exodus to Mars for whatever reason though, the radiation-poisoned masses would likely be strictly confined to the surface in some form of slavery by the Feudal overlords (underlords?), Royal families and politicians living below in the caves. Of course the dumbed-down masses would never be informed about the harmful solar radiation publicly, their illnesses would likely be diagnosed as “space flu” or something like this to prevent riots. All the while being kept docile and obedient by suppressants in the water, “flu jabs” and microwave burst transmissions via their smart-phones… oh wait. ;)

• aleander says:

You’d probably want your permanent structures underground, and not leave them a lot. So no, not a great holiday destination.

11. Psychomorph says:

Hold a sec. Does this actually mean this thing is enjoyable without multiple community mods that improve animations, sounds and mechanics and fix game breaking bugs?

Shame I clicked away as soon as I saw the BIS logo at the beginning.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

Take On Mars is developed by a different team and does not use the same engine as ArmA or DayZ.

It doesn’t even come from the same codebase as ArmA, the codebase came from one of the small developers BIS acquired at some point.
      Take On Mars cannot even share assets with ArmA directly, despite several players wanting that as a feature.

(Random interesting side note: If I recall right, one of the guys who used to contribute to The Dark Mod (“Dram”) is project lead for for this game.)

12. Monggerel says:

Es ist nichts
    Es ist nichts
    es ist nichts
    es ist

13. Chaz says:

I haven’t tried the multiplayer yet. Still too busy trying to land Mars rovers in the single player game. Although I haven’t had a look in on it for a while though.

14. SuicideKing says:

No female voice actors in the game, I’d assume?After all, it’s BIS.