Falling Leaves, Tumbling Prices: Steam Autumn Sale On

Yes, but what does any of this have to do with exploring?

An ache in my left hip awoke me this wet morning. This dicky joint has been reliably crying “Hey! Get up! You’re missing a lovely noise!” for weeks now, but this morning’s throb felt different. It’s been going on long enough that I could sense something special in the air. It was as if we’d moved from rainy mornings into autumn – proper autumn – and do you know that means? My hip did.

The Steam autumn sale has begun with a flurry of bargains on games old and surprisingly new.

It’s the usual routine for this bafflingly-named ‘Exploration Sale’: 5,630 games are discounted for the duration of the sale (yes, it returns regular results too – TF2 somehow being 50% off from £14.99 to free-to-play is not a special, the sillies), and many will receive extra discounts in flash sales. They’re starting off with some cracking quickies.

For the next day or two, you can get e.g. The Evil Within for £11.89 (66% off), Civilization: Beyond Earth for £20.99 (30% off), The Long Dark for £7.49 (50% off), The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for £8.99 (40% off), FTL for £2.09 (70% off), BattleBlock Theater for £1.09 (90% off), Watch Dogs for £19.99 (50% off), Wargame: Red Dragon for £7.49 (75% off),The Stanley Parable for £2.99 (70% off) [disclosure: I’m pally with one of its makers], Don’t Starve for £2.74 (75% off), and loads of other games for substantially cheaper than they were on Steam only a few hours ago.

The conventional wisdom is to not buy anything discounted until you’ve seen whether it’ll turn up cheaper in a daily deal or not, but hey, if you don’t want to watch Steam like a hawk, just buy at a price you’re happy with. The sale will end on Tuesday, December 2nd.

1. nebnebben says:

Ah, perfect to expand my steam library with games I have a very little chance to play. Wonderful.

2. Thurgret says:

I only get 30% off on Beyond Earth in Euro. Admittedly, I don’t even plan to buy it for at least a year, if I do at all, but that struck me as odd if it’s 55% off in Sterling.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Oh! How very odd. The price has… I’m sure I wasn’t looking at another game.

• Perjoss says:

I see errors like this all the time, like back when aliens: Colonial Marines first launched it was priced like a normal full priced game.

3. Creeping Death says:

This new Steam layout is… not good for sales -.- The top deals last 48 hours, the ones listed below that are 24 hours (so why they dont get top billing is beyond me) and then the stuff it loads in as you scroll beyond that is the biggest jumble of things I’ve ever seen, with some titles (look at you Wolf Among Us) reappearing much more frequently than others.

• Rikard Peterson says:

…and half the stuff it recommends at the bottom is marked “in your library”. If you know that I already have it, why are you recommending it to me?

Still, for all its faults, it probably is the best game store out there. (I like the principles behind GOG, but they’re not playing in the same league.)

• Baines says:

Maybe that is why it is the Exploration Sale. You have to explore to find anything in Steam’s godawful redesign.

• suibhne says:

It particularly impresses me that the third group, the “jumble” you describe, consists of many of the same titles repeated ad nauseum, often right next to each other – so I’ll get Game X with a medium-sized placard on one line, and Game X repeated in a small placard on the very next line. So…okay.

• captain nemo says:

yep – not a fan of the messy steam layout

• Creeping Death says:

Perhaps you want to buy Mass Effect? Or Company of Heroes? Or Mass Effect

link to oi60.tinypic.com

Really hoping more throught is put into the presentation for the christmas sale.

Edit: I think the worst thing I saw was when I decided to just pull up the list of all specials and go through it page by page I very quickly started to see things repeated. If that list doesn’t even hold to one fixed order then what is the point?

• Guybrush86 says:

The 24 hour games are at the bottom because they are the previous days offers. As today is the first day, there isn’t a previous days set so that’s why it seems strange.
      It will make more sense tonight when the 48 hour deals move down to become the 24 deals.

4. alsoran says:

Have the sales prices of older items crept up a bit over the years? Pretty sure I bought Dragon Age: Origins for less than a fiver previously with all the addons. Seems to be over seven squid now :(
    Not to mention with so much competition out there I find it hard to find something I like for a price I’m willing to pay on Steam. Its not just me is it?
    Still. Steam sale, keep searching!

• BarneyL says:

It looks like 90% off is the new 75% off and publishers are setting their base price accordingly.

• DrHeaton says:

DA:O being more expensive now than at any point in the last 18 months wouldn’t be a surprise, best way to make money on anyone looking to pick it up after playing/seeing Inquisition.

• Baines says:

I’m fairly certain a few games have had their base priced raised in the last year. Most likely to make a few more bucks when they are sold at 50-75% off, because so many people these days look more at the discount percentage than the actual price that they pay.

Either that, or their big sale discounts have been even steeper in the past…

boundless08 says:

I’ve noticed stuff like this happening in the last few steam sales. It’s cheaper on Origin during their current sale, 5 euro for the ultimate edition…. which is very tempting!

EA never seems to discount their games on Steam more than their own store, and most of the time not even equal, and sure why wouldn’t they?

• MacTheGeek says:

Sites like isthereanydeal.com can show you the price history of a particular game; not just on Steam, but across several competitors as well. Browser plugins like Enhanced Steam (enhancedsteam.com) can integrate that price information into the Steam storefront, making it very easy to identify when a game is at its lowest price.

• Lagran says:

Dragon Age: Origins isn’t at its historical low. Like you, I bought it for £5/75% off. Currently it’s £10/50% off. A few of the games I’ve seen have matched or exceeded historical lows, though almost exclusively new games. Older ones tend to be on 50% or 66% discounts as opposed to 75% or 85% on the main (summer & winter) sales.

Some of them will probably go on better discounts when they’re added to the one- or two-day sales.

5. Bundin says:

Too many steam sales per year have resulted in me not caring much at all. After all, the next sale is right around the corner.

• jezcentral says:

That is because you are jaded. You have gorged on games in the past, and your ravenous appetite is now sated.

Sales are the gateway drug to PC gaming. They are for the people just getting into PC gaming. I use to buy all sorts, but now even I have to say “no more”.*

* I mean, FFS, 300 unplayed games in my library? What am I doing?**

** Still bought 3 games so far this sale.***

*** I won’t play them, though. Dragon Age Inquisition will keep me exclusively busy for a few months, at least.

• DanMan says:

That’s very true. I remember when I got back into PC gaming 2 years ago, and to see all these awesome but dirt cheap games I’ve missed over the years was great. Now that I’ve caught up to the present, every sale is less special.

BlueTemplar says:

I’m now back to my policy of a few years ago that I only buy games I’ve already played and enjoyed (besides some exceptional cases).

6. jonfitt says:

I can recommend isthereanydeal.com. You can add a wishlist, or import your steam wishlist and it will email you if a game ever goes below a threshold you set. It searches a plethora of stores and bundles. Another good part is if you don’t buy a game when it goes below your threshold that becomes the new threshold.
    It also lets you search historical data to find out if it’s ever been sold lower.

• jonfitt says:

…aaand it’s dead right now. I think the Steam Sale traffic may have killed it!

• Chuckleluck says:

I believe you can set Steam to email you when a game on your wishlist goes on sale. But in my experience, it almost never notifies you. Eg 19 of the 24 games on my wishlist are on sale, and I haven’t received a single email.

• jonfitt says:

This one’s good because it tracks Humble, Amazon, and all the other places too. You can also specify that you want a good discount not just a piddly AAA game 10%.
        It’s back up again now, I tweeted them and they let me know they just did a server HW upgrade.
        I just like being able to say for certain games “I’m kind of interested in it, so if it ever goes below $10 you let me know”.

• PostieDoc says:

Only 24 games on your wishlist?
        There 273 on mine! :O

• KDR_11k says:

I too used to have a wishlist. Then I took a Steam sale to the wallet.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Either you really want a lot of games.. or you’re casting your net maybe a little wide. But I suppose it’s a good way to keep track of games you may (or may not) want to pick up at some point.

• Lagran says:

I’ve got 80 games on my wishlist, and I recently trimmed it. A large number of mine are games to keep an eye on rather than actively wanting, and the new ‘follow’ option means I’ve been able to shuffle a lot of games over to that tab instead.

I probably still have an excessive amount.

7. apa says:

Which one of the Wargame series is the best (and simplest)? European Escalation’s setting is the most interesting but is the mentioned Red Dragon better?

• jonfitt says:

I’ve heard that there’s a pitched battle between Air Land Battle, and Red Dragon. Apparently Red Dragon’s boats are better, but something else (campaign?) is worse. I think I believe the verdict from the 3 Moves Ahead Podcast was that if you’re new to the series go with Air Land Battle.
      So I did in a previous sale…. but haven’t played it yet :(

• Vandelay says:

Unless they changed it since I last played, naval was pretty shit in Red Dragon (new to the series with that game.) It has no real tactical depth and mostly comes down to who has the most numbers. I recall hearing about one side having a particularly overpowered ship that made them pretty much unbeatable too.

The rest of the game is aces though, even if I never dared to go online with it, as none of friends have it and the community seemed a bit scary. I’ve seen far worse things said in the general chat in the main menu then I ever have in my hours in DOTA.

• Thurgret says:

Ignore the naval stuff in Red Dragon, because you can, and it’s awful. The remainder of the game is hands-down better than AirLand Battle.

• hamilcarp says:

jonfitt, don’t go around spouting things about games you haven’t played. Naval in Red Dragon is an afterthought and the vast majority of multiplayer matches are non-naval. Red Dragon is the game to get simply because that’s where the multiplayer community is. Single player Wargame isn’t terribly fun, because the AI isn’t nearly clever enough to make use of the game’s immensely deep systems.

• FriendlyFire says:

You sure are making the Wargame community look nice and friendly there.

• hamilcarp says:

Excuse me, what? What did I say? I asked him not to say things about a game that he hasn’t played, as that would run the risk of misleading potential players, and I did so in the least confrontational way possible. Perhaps you are a bit too touchy, my friend. Besides I wasn’t even talking to you.

• jezcentral says:

Yes, using the word “spouting” is definitely the last confrontational way to speak to someone.

• hamilcarp says:

That’s it? Spouting? That is my grave offense? All right, I’ll avoid using that expression in the future around these parts, but my point my stands.

• Asurmen says:

While OI think they’re somewhat overreacting and I get your basic point, your response does come across slightly aggressive.

• hamilcarp says:

Well crap, I learned my lesson, but I hope my poor choice of words didn’t get in the way of getting my point across. If anyone here is interested in Wargame, get the newest one, Red Dragon. And play multiplayer because the AI is not very interesting to fight against.

• SuicideKing says:

No boats in AirLand Battle.

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

I’ve only played Red Dragon, and it’s pretty cool! I just wish the AI was a little more interesting. The campaign is fun for a while but after the second one (there are 4) you kind of “get it”. Each campaign is basically the same, just with different units, and the poor AI doesn’t really help either.

The game’s still great though, and it’s awesome to play online/lan games, with, and against friends.

Also, deck building is perhaps the best part of it!

• hamilcarp says:

Don’t play Wargame for the single player, the AI is shallow and stupid. The reason to play Wargame is the multiplayer, plain and simple.

• All is Well says:

I’ve tried to write something multiple times now but it all comes out too long-winded, so here’s my attempt at brevity:

European Escalation: Linear string-of-prefab-missions campaign, fewer nations and unit types, has helicopters but neither fixed-wing air nor naval units. Definitely the simplest one, for learning the base mechanics.
      AirLand Battle: Somewhat simple boardgame-type campaign map, with battlegroups (groups of ground units, contain varying degrees of infantry, armor, AA, AT and air assets) that you can deploy and move around at will. Will fight skirmish-type battle when in same region/province/square as enemy. You can deploy abstracted strategic resources, too. Has fixed-wing aircraft! Only embedded into army units though. No naval units (except as abstract strategic resource).
      Red Dragon: Basically the same core design as ALB, but evolves it a bit. More complex campaign maps. ALB’s battlegroups are broken up into different unit types that move independently on the campaign map, allowing for more player choice and strategy. Naval units are introduced. Air units are now strategically independent, but can only be used in support of ground or naval units. Naval battles are a bit shit but using ships for support in land battles is fun.

Overall I’d say RD is the best game, as it incorporates most of what came before it and makes it better.

• DrollRemark says:

I’m tempted by Red Dragon, if only to see whether its pause option actually gives me the chance to understand what’s going on.

I bought ALB a short while ago and I feel completely overwhelmed by it. It throws a ridiculous amount of numbers at me, with almost no explanation, then pitches me into a battle where all I can do is point some units in a direction and wait for the result to shortly follow. Of the handful of maps I tried, it never seemed like really I had enough control over the action.

I’m can see that there’s a good game in there, I’m just struggling to find it.

• Thurgret says:

The good game is in the multiplayer, if anyone’s still playing AirLand Battle multiplayer, at least.

• DrollRemark says:

But surely some basic level of competency should be useful before plunging into an online game?

I know it’s not LoL, but I still dread to think how frustrating it would be for other players if I’m not able to hold my own.

• SuicideKing says:

Well I tried Red Dragon, the first Wargame i’ve tried. Couldn’t win the second campaign after multiple tries. Played online once, and all my team mates deserted me within the first few minutes without any apparent reason. Haven’t got time to play since.

• apa says:

Thanks everyone!

8. All is Well says:

Let’s recommend each other stuff that’s both cheap and good!

Trine 1&2 are joyful things and 1,94 & 2,54€, respectively
    Darkest Hour: AHOIG is about forgetting about what you should be doing because you’re busy winning the war for the Nazis (and 1,99€)
    Analogue: A Hate Story is 3,39€ and makes you depressed
    Botanicula is 4,49€ and also lovely
    Shelter is 3,99€ and makes you care about low-poly badgers
    Theatre of War 2: Africa is 3,99€ and is about getting your troops killed because you didn’t think there’d be a Tiger tank on the far side of that wadi.

• KDR_11k says:

Well, to cross-post what I just listed on GAF:

three games I like to harp on about are 50% off ATM:
      Bunny Must Die (Metroidvania)
      From The Depths (vehicle construction game with high complexity)
      Revolver 360 Re:Actor (Shmup with Fez-style screen turning)

• Krag says:

Cloudbuilt is -80% off.

• Frosty Grin says:

Kairo and Retro/Grade are very good and super cheap.

• Lagran says:

Contraption Maker is 90% off/£1.09 and comes with two copies. If you know the original The Incredible Machine, it’s made by the same people. Fun, Rube Goldberg puzzles where you fill in the solution to a (complex) puzzle to achieve a (simple) task.

9. Ignis says:

Aaand I bought The Long Dark!

10. theslap says:

All I want for Christmas is Endless Legend @50-66% off.

11. DrManhatten says:

So when Steam has a sale on this is of course covered on RPS with an own article but when GOG had one going two weeks ago there was not a single word not even in the Bargain bucket!

Sleepymatt says:

Of course, if you are going to be a gigantic prick about something, it helps to be right….

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Fakedom says:

Calm down. I’m not entirely sure what his point is, but you can hardly miss a Steam sale, what with Steam being so massive and most people using the client. GOG on the other hand is smaller and doesn’t require you to constantly use it’s store service to play it’s games, so it is easier to miss. On that basis I’d say there is more reason to write on a GOG sale, as RPS are likely to reach more people who aren’t aware of it.

With that being said, it’s hardly a crime to write about one and not the other. We can all have opinions about what makes more sense to write about and how it’s presented. This doesn’t make anyone a gigantic prick. I’d say you were veering towards prick status with that rude comment, but I don’t think even that reached gigantic prick proportions.

I’m sure RPS staff aren’t so sensitive that they can’t handle criticism on what they cover when it comes to video games sales. What with all the nonsense and hate people throw around sometimes about the more contentious issues, calling someone a gigantic prick because they have a different opinion about sales news coverage is extremely petty.

• HopeHubris says:

They did cover it though, that is what he is saying

Sleepymatt says:

Don’t worry Fakedom, there was some self-awareness of the prick-level in my comment (re-read it, bearing in mind I was right). Well, I say re-read… ho hum.

• Dare_Wreck says:

And to add to sleepmatt’s comment, the GOG sale was the very first thing listed in the last Bargain Bucket! Seriously, DrManhatten, what’s your problem?

Sleepymatt says:

To be fair to the RPS-are-anti-GoG conspiracy theorists, the week before last the Bargain Bucket didn’t contain any mention of the GoG sale, until at least, ooh, the very first comment. Because they posted all about it three days earlier. But, y’know, journalistic ethics blah blah blah…

• DrManhatten says:

Only after people pointed it out the week before as it was already going since a week.

• Targaff says:

Which wasn’t at all because people also complained that sales on bigger sites such as GOG and Steam shouldn’t be included in the Bargain Bucket since everyone knew about the bigger sites, oh no. Even the happy medium Cassandra clearly aimed for last weekend in an attempt to satisfy everyone met with complaints from some quarters. It’s obvious that trying to appeal to all quarters is a fruitless exercise, but at least she and RPS are doing something more productive than acting sanctimonious in the comments.

12. Goodtwist says:

Such underwhelming
    so sales
    much ignore
    wow cluttered

13. baozi says:

Lords of the Fallen just came out and it’s already 40% off, pretty amazing.

• Blackcompany says:

Its…honestly not a very good game.

I know I say this a lot. I really hate to do so, but there is a reason. Namely, that I know a lot of Souls fans are very passionate people who desperately want more games inspired by their favorites. And I know a goodly number of those same folks were looking to Lords of the Fallen as the first in a line of Bastard Children spawned by the Souls games and furthering their mighty legacy.

This isn’t the game you want it to be. It really isn’t. I was offered that same advice but I was so passionate and desperately searching for somewhere – anywhere – that wasn’t more of Lordran or Drangleic that would offer that same or a similar feeling. And so I ignored a plethora of advice – including from RPS – and my own common sense and took the full price plunge.

I don’t even have the game on my Hard Drive any longer.

Its that bad.

It crashes even on stout PC’s. The bosses are gimmicky and enormous damage sponges. They even tend toward “phases” like some real-time JRPG. Very jarring. Very frustrating.

Combat is…well, it isn’t terrible, maybe…but its not good, either. One handed weapons swing with the speed of Ultra Greatswords. Two handed weapons swing like the Dragon’s Tooth. And both barely scratch early bosses, forcing you to hit them time and again – expect more than a half hour per each of the first two bosses alone.

Moreover, enemies have extremely short recovery times in which they transition – jarringly – from attacking to defense. Shield bashing barely offers an opening during which to strike, given player weapon speed. Every roll is a ‘fat roll’ compared to Dark Souls. And the camera…where it was pretty well neutral in the Souls games – wonky but not actively an enemy – here its pitted against your success as strongly as any boss. Constantly shaking, making the player vanish in corners or too close to a boss – aka, right where you need to be – and generally getting in your way at the worst times.

Honestly, I wish none of this were true. I wish I could tell Souls fans to have at, we finally have our first spiritual successor. Alas, that may well have been the developer’s intent – and with generous patching and effort, the game may still arrive on that lofty shore one far off day – but as of now…take the advice of RPS.

Don’t buy it.

Andy_Panthro says:

There’s also a Blizzard sale:

Diablo 3, expansion = £16.49 each
    Starcraft 2 = £8.49 each

Dunno how good a price that is, but they have fewer sales afaik.

15. Vandelay says:

I played Company of Heroes 2 way back when it first came out. I quite enjoyed the single player, but only played a few multiplayer games. I was then put off ever really getting into due to lots of complaining about balance. How is it now and is it worth picking up any of the DLC? If so, which ones?

16. TechnicalBen says:

With the high standard on RPS, I'[m surprised they don’t give an ASA warning they are pals with the human race before presenting games made by fellow humans. Don’t want anyone getting any ideas, do we?

17. Truck_Rockpec says:

So, is this the 2014 version of the holiday sale? Last year there were special snowglobe cards, DOTA items, etc. This one seems like less of an event.

Sleepymatt says:

This is just the Black Friday/Cyber Monday/keeping-up-with-the-Joneses Sale. The Christmas Sale will be in all of about 4 weeks. Probably followed by the New Year Sale, Valentine’s Sale, Easter Sale and the we-just-felt-like-we-haven’t-had-a-sale-for-a-while Sale…..

• DanMan says:

…the we-just-felt-like-we-haven’t-had-a-sale-for-a-while Sale

My favourite sale. Such surprise!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This is a Black Friday/Digital Monday sale.

• SuicideKing says:

Wait for Christmas.

18. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Joint pains already, Alice? You’ve hardly joined RPS and already become old men.

Sleepymatt says:

The downside of melding with the hivemind is having to deal with the aggregated hivebody’s ailments. What else can account for the demise of Kieron, Quinns and The Hair in such rapid succession?

• DanMan says:

I’m sure it’s all the swimming. Yeah, that must be it.

19. Morte66 says:

If I’m going to look out for one X3 title cheap to put a toe in the water, which one should it be?

20. Borodin says:

Hips, as we have all heard, don’t lie. But anthropomorphising them (I wish I hadn’t started this post now, as using eighteen-letter words make me look pompous (and doubly so, now that it’s clear that I’ve counted them)) is a little odd.

There. I did all that to make a trivial point. I could suggest that a poultice and some steam may help your joints, but no, that doesn’t work either.

I’ll try to recover the worth of this comment by saying that if you hold down the Windows key and hit Break it takes you to Control Panel / System. It’s my favourite way to get to Device Manager.

Thanks for all of your writing Alice

21. Hedgeclipper says:

[disclosure: I’m pally with one of its makers]

I know you probably need to do this because of all the stupid at the moment, but oh god all that stupid.

• LionsPhil says:

I thought she was just SHAMELESSLY NAMEDROPPING.

You know, er, except without the specific name part.

• Zekiel says:

Um actually isn’t this just journalistic good practice, never mind anything to do with GamerGate? She’s advertising a game so it feels entirely reasonable to disclose some personal interest, even if it is minor.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Journalistic good practice? Its the game’s name and discount in the middle of a list of other game’s names and discounts, she doesn’t even express an opinion that might influence you – I mean seriously we need disclosure for just mentioning a game now?
        And then there’s the ‘pally’ what does that even mean that a games writer is friends with someone? Are they sleeping with the programmer’s brother or just shared a cab to the airport from a recent show (and before you say that’s silly I’d bet good money there’s a tantrum of self important asshats who’d make it a huge thing if they could). Do you want a list of everyone who shared cabs everytime someone tells you there’s some games on sale? If not how friendly is friendly enough for a disclosure, should we hear about everyone they had a drink with or should it be a full meal, is it after they’ve met 10 times or based on their subjective feelings (should I be offended if a journalist doesn’t list me when they’re doing their disclaimers)?
        Finally who cares anyway? Really? I follow people who write about games because they say interesting things about games. It might be nice to know if they’re taking money or sleeping with the developer but in the end I’m more interested in what they have to say and if they’re being influenced to say something I don’t care about often enough I read someone else.

22. Ergates_Antius says:

Seems to be a lot of “Early Access” stuff in the sale – maybe that’s what the “Exploration” part is about…?

23. Csirke says:

If someone cares, most stuff on Origin is also on sale. Except DA:I. (Or the DA2 DLCs, stuuupid Bioware points… ARGH!)

But, for example the whole Mass Effect trilogy can be had for cheap, and that’s a lot of game for that price, for any people who don’t have them yet. (Even cheaper through some trickery courtesy of SavyGamer if you like.)

• Hedgeclipper says:

Its American Thanksgiving weekend when they commemorate the moment when the native Americans revealed to the colonists the sacred and ancient spiritual practice of mass consumerism that has guided their nation ever since. Everything everywhere in the US will be on sale this weekend. (traditionally; Friday for physical goods and Monday for online but that doesn’t stop lots of places stretching the orgy out)

24. SuicideKing says:

I like that Steam know lets me know what DLC I already have.

25. Armante says:

For once I have no plans to by a single game or piece of dlc.

Any and all game time I have (which isn’t a huge amount anyway) is spent playing Elite : Dangerous.

Those hundreds of games unplayed and waiting in my steam account will have to gather dust for the foreseeable future..

26. disconnect says:

You can tell John didn’t write this post because it isn’t just the words “THE HEXCELLS GAMES ARE ON SALE, BUY ALL THE HEXCELLS” over and over.

Incidentally, THE HEXCELLS GAMES ARE ON SALE, BUY ALL THE HEXCELLS

27. Kerr Avon says:

Thanks for the info, Alice! Speaking of Steam-oh WTF happened to Raven’s Cry? According to the Steamy ones it’s supposed to be released today but nobody is able to download as yet. Worse, nobody knows what’s going on and the publisher and devs are silent as if they fell off the planet… Oh well, I suppose we can expect their silence to mean it’s yet another delay? Or God forbid, cancelled for good? Here’s the page: link to store.steampowered.com So, could you ask the man himself, Derek Griffiths for us next time you see him to give us “More Steam”? Thanks.

28. Mags says:

Holy pricing weirdness, Batman!

Darwinia + its soundtrack: 99p

Darwinia + Multiwinia: 10p more

Introversion complete pack: The princely sum of £1.49

And Darwinia itself?

£6.99.

What.

• iainl says:

Some Kudos is due, however, to whoever it was that made Steam pick up that the Criterion edition of NFS:MW is in my wishlist, and rather than list the game I bookmarked at the £14.99 they still want, automagically shows me the £13.74 bundle pack with Shift, Shift 2, Undercover and Burnout Paradise instead.

Although I don’t even want those games, so bought NFS Rivals for £6.99 from Amazon instead.

kencube says:

It would be better if there is an option to hide the games I already have on the sale page.

And GreenManGaming is having a sale on the Steam sale. The Evil Within is 80% off ($16.10) just one and a half month from release.

• Jalan says:

GMG’s desperately attempting to stay relevant now that their competitors are practically pricing them out of the game.

30. Synesthesia says:

Worth noting Total War Rome II is 15 dollars in the humble store, with a steam key, while it’s 30 bucks on steam. Not much longer to go!

31. fish99 says:

Picked up some good deals so far – Stanley Parable for £3 (Steam), XCOM Enemy Within for £4 (GMG) and Europa Universalis 4 Digital Extreme version for about £4 (nuuvem).

BlueTemplar says:

Civilization : Beyond Earth released only 5 weeks ago already -60% on Amazon… Gah!

BlueTemplar says:

Spy Chameleon > DOTA 2 (and how Steam is ordering games by User Reviews) :
    link to steamcommunity.com

link to steamcommunity.com

This amusing situation is happening because of the (relatively crude) way Valve is dealing with games which don’t have a statistically significant number of reviews :

Games below 520–458 (500?) user reviews aren’t considered “Overwhelmingly positive” (95%–100%) even if they have more than 95% positive reviews, but are considered just “Very Positive” instead – pages 9–14/160 (=94%–91%).

The same thing happens with games below 52–44 (50?) user reviews that are considered ” Positive” instead of “Very Positive” (80%–95%) even if they have more than 80% positive reviews : pages 61–86/160(=62%–46%).

(I haven’t seen this happening with games with lower user review %)

And since Steam doesn’t consider decimals in user review %, and when that % is the same, orders games by the number of user reviews, you end up with relatively unknown games (with barely more than 50 reviews at 95%) like Spy Chameleon being located just over the most popular game with 94% in user reviews, which happens to be DOTA 2, the most popular game on Steam by far.