Hot Loot: Torchlight For Free

FREE SPIDERS! A SPIDER FOR EVERY READER! WHERE WILL YOU DISCOVER YOURS... OR WILL IT DISCOVER YOU?

You’ve played Torchlight by now, right? Y’know, Torchlight: fine little action-RPG released in 2009 by Runic Games. Y’know, Runic: founded by the Diablo-co-designing Schaefer brothers and Fate chap Travis Baldree (at the time, anyway – Erich Schaefer and Baldree have since moved on), bringing along Diablo musicman Matt Uelmen. Given how many times it’s been on sale or offered as a freebie to entice folks to register for something or other, I imagine you have. But if not, hey, it’s a nice action-RPG I think you might like, and one that’s again being offered for free.

This time Torchlight’s free to entice folks onto Runic owner Perfect World’s own store, Arc.

You’ve got until Sunday to nab it from Arc. You’ll need an account, which you might have already from playing something like APB Reloaded or Neverwinter but takes about 20 seconds to register if not. (And we all have an e-mail address we use to register for stuff anyway, right?) You’ll also need to use the Arc client, which appears to be yet another typical game store client thing. With this joining the billion other things installed on my PC, I still have 391GB of free space, and nicely the installer itself has an option to disable auto-start.

It all seems a reasonable enough amount of time and effort to expend to get a nice game for free.

1. somnolentsurfer says:

Has there been any news on the Mac version of Torchlight 2 yet?

• jodi says:

I’m pretty sure it’s not happening now. I swear I saw that written somewhere but I’m having trouble digging up the source.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’d be a shame. Last time I looked for any answer I could only find promises they were still working on it, but thatw as quite a while ago.

Also seems a bit strange since they did manage to port Torchlight. Not sure why Torchlight 2 would prove to be more difficult to port, but then again, I’m not a programmer.

• baozi says:

According to the forum, they’re still working on it. Here’s an official tweet:
        link to twitter.com

• jrodman says:

They may think they’re still “working on it”, but at this point I don’t believe their definition and mine align sufficiently to consider the statement accurate.

2. Cinek says:

First time I heard about that “Arc” thing. Looks like a Steam clone. Amount of similarities is just amazing.
    Somehow I don’t feel safe giving them any of my details, even an e-mail…

• BockoPower says:

And how did you get those amazing “similarities” if I may ask? ARC is just a game client from the publisher Perfect World Games only. Most games are free and you don’t even need it to run them.
      Steam is a Store Client where you purchase games, DLC’s and stuff. ARC has only a little bit from the interface of Steam. Saying they are same is like saying the apple is same with the orange.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I remember when every company had a launcher like that. The fishier it looked the safer it was.

• SpacemanSpliff says:

Pretty sure you have to make an account to play multiplayer anyway.

3. Nim says:

Question!

What exactly is Runic Entertainment doing these days? I believed they would follow in Diablo 2’s footsteps and release an expansion pack to the game but that hasn’t happened.

• skyturnedred says:

I’ve been wondering that myself, Torchlight 2 came out two years ago. I know the MMO thingie was canned, so I’m hoping they’re working on Torchlight 3.

• rusty5pork says:

All we’ve heard about whatever they’re working on is “it’s not an MMO,” and, surprisingly, “it’s not an ARPG.”

4. Kaeoschassis says:

So as someone who loved diablo 2 as much as the next guy but has never tried either torchlight – is this really worth dealing with ANOTHER steam-a-like for? I swear I already installed Origin and I’m not keen on another one.

• Xocrates says:

Honestly, the game has been discounted, on bundles, and given away so often that you might actually be better just waiting for one of those that does not require even more clients.

Though if you’re willing to endure one extra client even if just for the duration of playing the game, it’s a very solid, and flashy game, though it’s amazingly thin on plot and tends to become rather repetitive.

It’s a really good game when you just want to biff stuff and pick up all the phat loots, though given that a Steam sale just started you might consider waiting for it to be a daily deal and picking the sequel instead.

Andy_Panthro says:

I got Torchlight a while back, and just didn’t like it at all. Not sure why really, but I guess it was probably due to all the diablo comparisons. Barely played it, and decided to move on to other things.

Much later, I picked up Torchlight 2 in a steam sale and while it still doesn’t impress too much in terms of plot and things, the gameplay seems better. The music and environments are rather good too, it does have a lot of Diablo 2 about it (but lacking the gothic look).

• baozi says:

I liked it. The atmosphere isn’t as dark and it’s not as varied, but the mechanics are solid and the music will make you feel right at home: the composer (Matt Uelmen) worked on Diablo 1 & 2.