Free Add-Ons Out For Endless’s Legend And Space

Adam reported on Endless Legend‘s free add-on Visions of the Unseen last week, but now it’s out, we know the details of what it contains, and it comes alongside a smaller but similarly free add-on for Amplitudes previous 4X strategy game, Endless Space. Visions of the Unseen? More like posts of the seen, right?

Right.

Sorry.

Endless Legend’s add-on comes with a new minor faction called the Eyeless One, who were chosen by players from a list of three possible additions via Amplitude’s regrettably named GAMES2GETHER community participation service. The Eyeless Ones have no eyes but can “sense, hear and feel all that is visible, and some that is not.” Which could either just mean that they’re blind or that they’re Daredevil, and so they’re blind but can see. The update also comes with 10 new side quests, better AI for Empire Plan, Retrofit and Military Assets, and a number of other patch-like balance tweaks.

Meanwhile, Endless Space’s Disharmony free add-on called Chronicles Of The Lost and comes with 8 exploration random events, 24 colonization random events, some new AI and artwork and a few other small tweaks.

There’s a full list of update notes at Amplitude’s forums, including exactly what those AI tweaks entail. Or you can go read Adam’s review if you want to know why Endless Legend is worth your time.

1. Gap Gen says:

Free add-on? More like Spendless Ace!

2. AshRolls says:

Great to see the dev still supporting Endless Space. Amplitude are creating a great reputation for themselves.

Endless Legend is 33% off in the Steam sale at the moment. If it goes over 50% on the featured or daily then I am going to SNAP it up.

3. Bobka says:

Ugh, I really, really want to buy EL and DotE. I’m not sure I can hold out for a deeper discount.

• Muppetizer says:

My advice is maybe don’t. Combat aside, which I think in this game is polarising at best, I’m amazed at how much of a balm this game was to Beyond Earth’s release. I think Endless Legend is the strongest game in the genre when it comes to flavour and character and finally having those two elements actually impact on the gameplay on a more than surface deep level.

And in a really weird way DotE somehow ruined BoI: Rebirth’s release for me, I’m amazed how much more I like the former, considering I have almost 300 hours in the original Binding of Isaac.

• B.rake says:

I too have played much more Dungeon of the Endless than Rebirth for whatever reason (er… probably something to do with Dungeon of the Endless being a bit slower paced- also I found the ‘normal’ difficulty in Rebirth ruins it a bit, recently switched to Hard in spite of how terrible I am, my theory is that the greater brutality is what makes the luck/randomness mechanics so compelling).

IMO Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless are kind of bargains even at full price – especially DotE- Its approx $13 normally and 9 on the current steam sale, considering I’ve probably put 20 hours into it (will Steam ever tally offline hours properly?). Then again not everyone has such a forgiving budget.

4. Sorbicol says:

Endless Legend is the best 4x game you’ll buy this year – in fact it’s the best since Civ V. At the very least Amplitude deserve all the credit they can get for creating a game like this and the continuing support it’s going to it, all Included in the offer price.

Considering what I’ve paid for Dragon Age: Inquistion it’s a absolute steal if steam have got it 33% off.

5. Tiax says:

It’s funny, I can’t remember buying a game at full price and/or in early access except for the three games Amplitude developped. And it was more than worth it.

• melnificent says:

Same here, I took a chance on Endless Space and was greatly rewarded. I was counting down the hours until Endless Legends release.
      Beyond Earth I haven’t picked up as I don’t think it will be as fun as Endless Legend.

A couple of years back I would’ve snapped up the official Civ game and held off on others.

6. mattevansc3 says:

Coincidently I just finished my first play through of Endless Space yesterday and while one of the better looking 4X games is one of my last favourite as it was the hardest to get into and had some niggling issues.

It was just like things like not being able to remove fleets from any oppositions planet after agreeing a ceasefire until I destroyed all of their fleets surrounding that planet. Invasion and trade routes didn’t have any tutorials and the information was hard to discover. Just little things.

• BisonHero says:

Yeah, that game is sorely in need of a tutorial that better explains the mechanics, or more help files that explain some of the mechanics you mentioned in greater detail.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

And I just finished my first playthrough of Endless Space to find I really really enjoyed my time with it, despite the fairly shallow gameplay. It’s no Galciv2 but nevertheless it has won a place in my heart.

7. Solar says:

Really got into DotE, such a great system for dipping into and out of, can pause and save very easily but ‘just one more door’ so compelling, even more so when a new floor is reached or dust is flowing nicely. Where so many games require constant interaction I really appreciate the cerebral planning phase between each door and the space to save and quit with very little interruption to the flow of progress. Keep up the updates!

• B.rake says:

Been thinking it’s ripe for a mobile version for those reasons (maybe even better suited than FTL). The only major hurdle I can think of is the need to scroll around the map- especially in fraught situations it can be a bit hectic, even with pause-and-play (the graveyard of heroes who have died simply because I forgot to pause is shamefully packed).

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Has anyone bought the DLC upgrades for Legend or Dungeons? Are either of them worth it?

• asret says:

I’d say the DLCs aren’t worth it for the Endless games, seems more like a way of tipping the developers. Although, if you really like Dungeon of the Endless they do offer different ships (different modes of play).

They’ve unlocked some of this content in their free updates in the past as well.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That’s what I thought, just wait it out and they’ll be released for free.

It’s really the Dungeons content I am more interested in. Extra heroes and game modes allows for a lot more gameplay in DotE. The Legend upgrades are basically nothing when compared the rest of the game and can’t affect gameplay in any significant way as far as I can predict.

9. Phantasma says:

It’s almost silly how much praise i’ve got for Amplitude recently.

Even more astounding since i was somewhat disappointed of Endless Space.
    A solid first outing for a new studio, but it ultimately lacked more depth behind the pretty interface and after a while every game played out similary.

So i wasn’t exactly hyped for Endless Legend but bought it on a whim anyway… and all my former criticisms melted away before i even finished the first campaign.

Creativity, innovation and the mere playfulness in design and aesthetics… reminded me why i love gaming so much, so thanks for that.

I hope EL and DoTe sell well.
    To be honest, i’m a bit concerned, cause the fora seem eerily quiet at times.

I wish them all the best and many more wonderful games.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

EL is on sale and top seller on Steam right now. I am thinking of buying it for my cousin as a Christmas present.

10. Joshua Northey says:

Amplitude have made some great games. Hopefully that will continue. I have really enjoyed all three for different reasons.