Point ‘N’ Click Platforming In The Rain: Petrichor

Alice digs a game about a rainy forest? You don't say! -The Phantom Alt-Texter

As the leaves start to fall, so too the balance of my humours slips. My blood sinks and, as I’m naturally dry of yellow bile, my body is swamped with phlegm and black bile. I’m drawn to ponds and rainy woodlands, phlegmatic and melancholic, sighing wistfully as I drift in cold water and tread carefully across wet litter.

Oh, it’s a lot more pleasant than it sounds. Look at Petrichor (the smell of rain on dry earth – a great word, that). The free point ‘n’ click platformer’s visit to a rainy forest is delightful.

Do put on earphones or crank your volume to play, and maybe turn the lights down, as being surrounded by the drip-dripping and tap-tapping of forest rain eases one into the right spirit. Petrichor’s slow and deliberate, and you should be too. While technically it’s a platformer in that you jump and run from platform to platform, it’s not twitchy. Jumping, climbing, and your other movement tricks are all at preset points, with buttons to click to perform them, you see. It can feel frustrating at first, but it’s forcing a careful pacing.

Puzzles are fairly simple, with a fair bit of backtracking, but hey – it’s not a race. I do enjoy how you learn new moves by collecting wet pages then sitting by a fire to dry them. Pacing! Tone! Right-clicking to pop open an umbrella is possibly my favourite game command of this year too.

Made by Sundae Month, Petrichor is a pay-what-you-want download on Itch.io with no minimum.

1. Ayasano says:

Slightly confused SPOILERS below: (No way to spoiler tag?)

I just played through this and I’m not sure if I reached the ending or if the game simply crashed. Upon reaching the glowing yellow square at the top of the mountain and collapsing, the game zoomed in on it and then simply exited, no message, no credits, nothing. Does everyone else get that, or is it a bug?

If that is the ending, I have to say it wasn’t handled very well. The trek up the mountain at the end felt like they were trying to get a similar feeling to Journey, except they didn’t have the long build-up before that that Journey had, or the section after, which I won’t spoil here. (Seriously, if you own a PS3, play Journey. It’s amazing)

Also, does the glowing yellow square and the sound it makes remind anyone else of Fez?

• Alice O'Connor says:

I believe that’s how it’s supposed to end. That bit didn’t do anything for me, but I enjoyed the rest and the climb up the hill, so sure, whatever, that cryptic blast didn’t ruin the game for me.

2. Joey Queen says:

I’ve registered to share my experiences. The controls are god awful, the game is bugged and after about 20 minutes I got a bug, I couldn’t reload the game, there are no autosaves for that matter and then I promptly deleted this lousy thing. Seriously RPS, how about some quality control or are you going to give 5 minutes of fame to anyone who kindly asks?

Next time if you want to advertise free games just link us to Newgrounds or Armor games or something, there’s absolutely zero need to advertise the first buggy shit that someone asks you to.

John Walker says:

How about you unregister again until you can communicate with a degree of civility?

• Joey Queen says:

How about you learn to take criticism from someone who was following you since PCGamer?

• Alice O'Connor says:

I posted it because I found it, played it, and enjoyed it. I’m sorry to hear you encountered a game-breaking bug though.

• Gamexcb says:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Joey. While I am not sure of the exact circumstance you encountered, I believe I have fixed the bug that you were referring to! I am sorry you ran into problems, hopefully this new version will prevent that from happening again. Thank you for playing! <3

3. Gamexcb says:

Wow thank you so much Alice! This was very unexpected! I am glad you enjoyed the game!

4. El Mariachi says:

Just in time for rainy season here!