A Ranger In Far Cry 4 – Part Two: Elephant Fishing

I’m attempting to play Far Cry 4 without using any guns. Because maiming people with arrows is noble. It began here.

To live the ranger lifestyle, it’s essential that I forage for my own food. And by “food” I mean “animal skins”, and by “forage” I mean “slice off”. My fashionable outer garments aren’t going to make themselves. So as I continue trying to play Far Cry 4 with only a bow and arrow, it makes sense to focus on the wanton destruction of local wildlife populations. Except for elephants. Elephants are my steed. From which I can kill other animals.

I knew FC4 had elephant riding. But I didn’t realise it had elephant-riding fishing. Which is how I’ve spent a good proportion of my morning.

This began when given the task of catching a particularly big fish for Chiffon, the local fashion designer. Hey, I didn’t write this game. And at the same time, I spotted my first elephant since unlocking the skill to ride them. A moment of universal synergy, cosmic harmony. I can’t swim while firing an arrow, but I can sure do it if an elephant’s doing the swimming for me. It works like this:

As the video progresses, you’ll see I move beyond aimless (quite literally) attempts to set fire to things that are currently underwater, to a whole other realm of fishing: using explosives. And with a bit of alligator murder along the way. And yes, it’s perhaps not exactly wholly true to the ranger-life to use explosive-tipped arrows, but if it’s good enough for Oliver Queen, it’s good enough for me.

Shortly after, I entered one of the sections where my gun avoidance gets paused by the demands of a mission. And indeed, the game itself had me fishing with explosives too. Sadly not explosive arrows that time. (Much credit is deserved by the game for requiring such things.) But how have I done otherwise in my endeavour? Pretty well, actually.

I confess, I did take down an eagle with a mounted machine gun. The bastard thing tried to eat my face, and caused a baddie convoy to get away. Since my bow skills aren’t yet quite up to picking swooping birds out of the distant sky, I admit I let revenge get the better of me, and BLAM-BLAM-BLAMed the flying git.

Otherwise, I’ve stuck pretty hard and fast. Missions are certainly a good deal trickier when you can’t unleash bulletty mayhem, and the game’s supplies of ammo are certainly not in favour of men in tights. Destroying all the propaganda materials in a base, as increasingly large waves of enemies show up, is a tough fight. I completed it by perching on rooftops, setting an awful lot of people on fire, and – oh, okay, lining the entrance to the base with explosives. Explosives aren’t bullets! It still counts!

Oh, shush you’re complaining. Calm yourself down with my taking out a charging rhino with a bow.

Wisq says:

Is there any problem with all the skins being “damaged”? Is that due to the use of explosives, or just weapons fire in general?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Explosions and fire, while most weapons are fine and, while i didn’t try all of them on animals, i only had problems with a shotgun. I’m willing to bet the huge anti material sniper will make too much of a mess aswell, but ironically 100 high caliber bullets of a PKM were fine.

Elephants are another story and they’re not “supposed” to be hunted, you lose karma even with the bow and you get nothing useful, plus there are no recipes for that.

• try2bcool69 says:

The only difference is that if you don’t kill it with a bow or knife, you get one skin instead of two. That’s it. It’s just a time saver, that’s all. It’s not like the place isn’t absolutely overrun with animals, all the time.

Kirrus says:

Is it bad I can’t think of any explosives-related puns?
    I can’t think of any explosives related puns. Sorry.

The real question is, can you resist the temptation to use an elephant against a camp?

Wisq says:

That rhino sure did go out with a bang.

Glad to see you’re warming to the local wildlife. Wouldn’t want this playthrough to get snuffed out just because bow-hunting doesn’t light your fire.

• Graves says:

Hm, most of those puns were fire based, not explosive based. You really bombed that comment. I do hope this one is less of a dud.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

What did the man say when Ian the hotel owner incorrectly tried to charge him the day rate for a motel room?

Nothing, he just had A Moan: “Ian, NIGHT RATE”

3. sinister agent says:

He doesn’t spend the whole game going “EEWWW, GAAAH, FUUUCK GROSS OMG” like Jason Brodouche, does he? Because that got a bit silly after the 478th animal. And human.

I approve of exploding the crocodile, though. All crocodiles in Far Cry must die.

Ridiculous Human says:

Far Cry animals are pretty much a metaphor for modern UbiSoft games. Superficially different (sometimes damaged) skins, all yielding the exact same meat.

And like the Far Cry protagonists, I hunt them all down making disgusted noises every time to hide my secret enjoyment.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yes and no, there’s only the “EEEWWWW” now.

Well, i guess it’s an improvement right?

• Monggerel says:

If I remember right, your guy in Blood Dragon (CYBORG SERGEANT REX POWERCOLT) ripped the hearts out of other cyborgs instead and was all like “FUCK YEAH” and “I LIKE” and “GIMME DAT”.

Sometimes I wonder if somewhere someone at Ubi knows. But then I’m pretty sure they were fired for that

4. SuicideKing says:

Why do eagles attack you? EAGLES DON’T ATTACK PEOPLE. Usually.

But then again, there’s nothing like a “Demon Fish”, so whatever, I guess.

• suibhne says:

The wildlife is crazy aggressive. Just as in FC3, it strains the bounds of disbelief and frequently slips into ridiculous irritation. Every two minutes while running across the landscape, I hear people screaming about being attacked by eagles. It’s absolutely nuts and has essentially no analog in the real world. (Nor, for that matter, do the constant attacks by dogs, wolves, leopards, tigers, etc. There could be some aggression, sure, but not EVERY SINGLE TIME.)

edna says:

Whilst camping in Zimbabwe an eagle swooped down and stole the bacon out of my sandwich.

Maybe the protagonist in Far Cry smells of bacon?

• thekelvingreen says:

Have you seen the seagulls in Brighton? I saw one carry away a small child once, and “seagull” is just “eagle” with an extra S.

Sort of.

• ThePelican says:

Goliath Tigerfish. Look it up. They got the size of it about right too.

5. FlatBat says:

I’m impressed that you’ve got a bag big enough for an entire Rhino skin. Unless it was a pygmy Rhino? Say it wasn’t so!

6. Scandalon says:

Fun fact (didn’t watch the whole video to see if they simulate it or not) but when bow-fishing IRL, you have to aim below where the fish appears to be, due to refraction.

7. racccoon says:

Awesome shit this should of been a survival game.

8. WiggumEsquilax says:

“taking out a charging rhino with a bow”?

Yeah, he was charging right at that patch of grass! Good thing you heroically lit that monster on fire in time to stop him from grazing. Who knows what horrors could have been wrought.

9. CookPassBabtridge says:

Played Far Cry 3 using Vorpx and the Rift DK2.
    Went in sea with sharks about.
    Needed to… craft new pants IRL
    Stopped playing.