Dragon Age: The Ferelden Scrolls #6 – Pockets

Continuing a Dragon Age: Inquisition diary. Spoilers once again.

The kleptomania’s out of control. In any new location, my first activity is to raid the place. Sure, sure, I’m the Herald of Andraste, I’m here to rescue you, blah blah, but first – what’s in your cupboards? There’s also a special spell I can cast to tell me whether there’s anything of value in the nearby vicinity, and I cast it incessantly. Even in the middle of a pitched battle I’m feverishly hoovering up any loot left by the fallen or casting my spell to check whether there’s anything hidden in the corner. People die because I’m rummaging through some spook’s innards in the hope there are a few coins or a piece of cloth in there somewhere.

What’s worse is that I have no specific agenda for everything I stuff into my pockets. Decent weapons and armour haven’t been hard to come by, either found or crafted, so I’m not exactly in need of upgrades. It’s the fear that I might miss something much, much better that drives me. Why can’t I just get on with saving the world and worry about getting better stuff if and when I need it? Why do I need everything?

And why are my goddamned pockets so small? This would be a whole lot easier if I was able to carry everything without having to teleport back to Inquisition HQ (which is now a ruddy great castle, which was one of the more positive outcomes of an unspeakable evil returning and very nearly murdering almost everyone at our old base) every half an hour. It seems a party of four can only carry a few dozen battleaxes and full armour sets before it all gets too much for them, the useless weaklings. The trouble is that our collective pockets are stuffed with items that while on incrementally better than what we already have are too high level for us to use, and there’s nowhere else to stick it all in the meantime. So I wade into battle carrying about four staffs I won’t be able to use for at least a week. I should just sell them. I’m sure I can find a decent new staff when the time actually comes.

But I can’t. I can’t let stuff go until I’m absolutely sure that I don’t need it.

If only it was just weapons and armour that I was so precious about. Alas, this world is also rife with plants, fabric and metals that I can use to craft new things. I have to have it all, just in case I need it. The thought of going out on a specific errand to find a piece of Drakestone or some Ghoul’s Beard if a particular recipe called for it is just the worst. That’s too much like an errand. So instead I cast my spell, time and again, picking up every single mineral or vegetable it identifies.

Every adventure takes four times as long as it should because of this – partly because of the time spent searching and collecting, and partly because of all my trips back home to sell what I don’t need. It’s got worse now we’re in our sexy new sky-castle. For one thing, I keep forgetting where the selling point is – so many doors! For another thing, the sky-castle also has a load of stuff it wants upgrading – everything from the massive throne I get to sit on now I’m officially leader of the Inquisition to what the flipping windows look like. Surely, surely deciding what the windows look like should be someone else’s job. There are patterns and parts out there in the world somewhere. I must have them all, because if I don’t some of the options will remain crossed out and I just can’t bear that knowledge.

So here I am, scouring every inch of the land for things to pick up and take home. Why am I doing this? Why do I need all these things? If only there weren’t so many of these things. If only there weren’t all these recipes and quests telling me that I need these things. Things! Too many things! Just let me be!

Help me. Help me to save the world without having to also collect every part of it that isn’t glued down. There must be a better way.

1. tumbleworld says:

Spoken like a true adventurer, Sir.

2. Myrdinn says:

So I take it you’re not a big fan of the looting range or animation :p.

EDIT: Also, probably VERY IMPORTANT for those playing this on the PC and wanting to have somewhat of a resemblance of the older cRPG (IE engine) camera… get

link to forum.cheatengine.org

it zooms out the camera a lot more so it looks more like
    link to i.imgur.com this

• Snidesworth says:

That looks lovely. Is there any chance of Origin having a shitfit if you use it?

• Myrdinn says:

I must admit not personally having the game. But my buddy is playing it and I will probably try to mod his game with this tonight or tomorrow night. Seeing how this was only released today I can imagine it not being quite optimal yet. Not sure about Origin interfering with it either, though I suspect this won’t be an issue as every copy uses Origin and the mod creator hasn’t mentioned anything about this interfering with the platform.

3. Lakshmi says:

That giant keep and no vault or bank anywhere. Bad design.

4. Shockeh says:

I want to love this game; I really do, but it’s begging for some mods to give it quality of life features.

– No, I don’t want to Press Search every few seconds to check I haven’t missed something. If Searchables are going to glow, just make them glow. If they aren’t, don’t. You just end up pushing the button ever 2.4 seconds.
    (Especially when the difference between a lootable bag and a non-lootable bag is at a glance, absolutely nothing)
    – Why, when I’m browsing the Inventory do I see items they’ve equipped (so, filter by user) but then all other items, including ones they can’t ever equip? (So, filter by all) This makes no sense.
    – Why is the Tactical Camera functionally useless, when it’s so zoomed in you can’t get a picture of the battle anyway?
    – Why is the Carrying Capacity so low?
    – Why is it totally unexplained about what does/doesn’t affect carrying capacity?
    – Why is the UI for Crafting such a total fucking clusterfuck?
    – Why do I need to press a button twice to get it to firstly show the stats of an item, then compare it to the item I’ve got equipped? There’s no other option, so I’m guaranteed to do it, so why make it do it?
    – Why when I’m in the menu, make me do that per item, and reset the decision when I scroll to the next item?
    – Why don’t I seem to be able to sort the order of the items in the list, and any order there is appears to be utterly undiscernable? Is it value? No. Alphabetical? Nope. Class use then Alphabetical? Nope. Items then mods? Maaaybe, except when it isn’t. Argh.
    – Why is Scout Harding not in every Bioware game ever, and part of my party?

It’s CLOSE to being glorious, and all this minor crap really is annoying me moreso because it’s spoiling it for me.

5. Krazen says:

With all the possible potions, tonics, grenades, weapons, armour, runes & of course all the Castle upgrades available you cannot collect too much! I never though I’d be in a situation of running out of Elfroot.

6. Zenicetus says:

The looting is a chore in this game, and it could be easily fixed with just a few changes:

1) Add a walk button, so looting can be deliberate instead of a Keystone Cops animation.
    2) Lengthen the pickup range.
    3) Reduce the font size on the PC version, so lists don’t take so long to scroll.
    4) Give us a goddamn storage chest for weapons and armor that are higher level than we can use. And another one for storing crafting items.

• amateurviking says:

Yeah the lack of a walk button was a big factor in me switching to the xbox pad. Actually works really well, almost like the whole GUI was built around using it in fact. Even the tac cam works better – placing PCs and having them stay put is a challenge though.

• Sorbicol says:

One of the Inquisition Perks that can be unlocked at the War Council table gives you a bigger pickup range when looting. Feels like a waste though compared to some of the other bonuses which are, you know, actually helpful.

7. gorgonaut says:

I actually went ahead and parted with a bunch of my money for this game- and the thing that bugs my most, is the looting. Oh, and the minimap is close to useless for me- if I can’t see anything other than icons, it’s not a minimap, it’s a radar. Apparently, a magical radar, or something. Show me roads, damn it!

P.S.
    I’m really enjoying the game. So much stuff!

8. racccoon says:

SO cant wait for my i7 rebuild hurry up please :)
    rebuild cost 600 bucks lol