Bang Boom Pow Pop: Fireworks Simulator Released

Ooooooh!

“Developed by certified pyrotechnicians” declares the launch trailer for Fireworks Simulator, and I am excited. While some people dream of driving trucks or ploughing fields, I’ve always wanted dominion over colourful explosions. But it’s too expensive to get into as a hobby, and surely too niche a profession for a chancer to slip into, so here I’ve been waiting for Fireworks Simulator. Picking my own music, selecting my favourite fireworks, and timing them all together for one building celebration of combustion sounds wonderful.

I mean, obviously I intend to recreate one of my favourite things in this world – when a fireworks display in San Diego went wrong and 7,000 fireworks that were intended to be launched over 17 minutes went off in about thirty seconds, as seen in this extraordinarily loud video.

Once my computer recovers from that particle-o-rama, gosh, the possibilities! It’s basically one big sequencer, where we drag-and-drop fireworks to go off as we please. And firework shows are careful choreography – with colours, sounds, music, and patterns, they rise, they fall, they crash, they roll. A careful fireworks show is a beautiful thing to behold.

And yes, of course I want to reinterpret songs I like as fireworks displays. I’ll not bore you with my plans, with thinly-veiled boasts of “oh look at how cool and eclectic my musical tastes are”. This is about fireworks, not me.

A launch discount brings Fireworks Simulator down to £5.94 on Steam

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Time to break out the Jean Michel Jarre CDs from the attic.

• tumbleworld says:

I saw Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds set to fireworks once, at a racetrack in Hampshire. It was surprisingly awesome.

That video, on the other hand… Given all the possibilities, it seems a shame that the main take-away is “They have a staggered-fan-of-sprays firework that they really, REALLY love.” Well, that and they have absolutely no promo music budget.

2. Gap Gen says:

This seems like such an obvious idea in hindsight, given that fireworks are a staple of graphics demos.

3. bstard says:

Now with free Scare the crap out your pets DLC.

4. Heliocentric says:

Want a burns unit tie in DLC for Surgeon Simulator 2012.

5. binkbenc says:

As a resident of Lewes, I say ‘hmmf’.

…and then ‘ooh!’

6. c-Row says:

Now if that would let you export your creations as screen savers…

• vlonk says:

Employees everywhere will waste dozens of hours of worktime to optimize what their computer does during their downtime. Also the fireworks screensaver old-economy will crash immediately under the pressure of a socialmedia firestorm of creative sharing. Can this poor economy take the hit of the fireworks simulator?

When the chinese invented blackpowder, they used it only for fireworks. And now – a thousand years later – the destructive power of fireworks will rival the destructive impact that blackpowder had in the west a thousand years ago.

7. WarKiel says:

Is there an “Official Simulator Game Title Font(tm)” That all simulator games MUST use? Because it sure seems that way.

• KDR_11k says:

I believe they’re trying to ape Microsoft Flight Simulator since that is the biggest simulator of them all (in terms of shelf space, whole shelves get devoted to MFS add-on packs!)

8. Yargh says:

Many years ago, when I was still actively playing the niche MMO A Tale in the Desert (good grief, it’s still running!), I had a lot of fun crafting and the presenting firework displays in the game.

I wonder if this one is anything like that (minus the crafting effort for the components of course)?

9. Alfius says:

I need to show this to my sister Katherine wheel have hours of fun!

10. kyrieee says:

The crappy royalty free rock isn’t doing it for me.

11. SuicideKing says:

This might be a great way to combat Diwali and Bonfire Night pollution.

12. Pich says:

Music-generated games! My only weakness!

13. captain nemo says:

sign – years ago I bought a PS2 just to play Fantavision
    link to youtube.com

Wisq says:

They seem strangely obsessed with the fan-style sequential radial flare launch — to the point of not showing any other kind for the first half of the trailer — yet I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen that IRL. Ours are almost entirely the high-up boom-boom types. But maybe that’s just us.

• mwoody says:

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Those things wouldn’t work that well in real-life shows; not enough altitude. I wonder if that’s something unique to that company’s real-life fireworks company, and they’re trying to sell them?

15. Daarck says: