Not An Adventure Game: Witcher Adventure Game On PC

Adventures!

To recap: CD Projekt RED’s RPG series The Witcher is based on Andrzej Sapkowski’s short stories and novels. The Witcher Adventure Game is a monster-hunting board game adaptation made by CDPR with Fantasy Flight Games, which was also being made into a virtual board game by Can Explode. Both cardboard and cyberspace versions launched yesterday, so you can see how a video game interprets how a board game interprets how a video game interprets the adventures of a mutant monster-hunter and pals romping across a fantasy world getting into scrapes.

Playing as monster-hunter Geralt, bard Dandelion, sorcerer Triss, or warrior Yarpen, folks roam around the world completing quests. You might be killing monsters, engaging in diplomacy, charming folks, or otherwise getting involved in other people’s business. You know: quests. All of this is represented by, and resolved with, cards, dice, counters, and tokens. It’s got online multiplayer and local hotseat play, as well as AI if you fancy it.

As for how it all actually plays, well! It’s tricky. I can say “This video game is an RPG with turn-based combat” and you’ll broadly get it, or “It’s a first-person shooter.” Board games are somewhat beyond my expertise. Fantasy Flight have put together an explanation in five parts – count ’em: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 -and you can see what the lot at BoardGameGeek make of it.

The Witcher Adventure Game is out on GOG for £6.39, though you’ll get £0.80 of store credit too because of GOG’s regional pricing refund policy, and is £6.29 on Steam.

I am, by the way, delighted by the ‘As Seen On TV’ commercial-style voiceover in this trailer:

1. djim says:

Really liked the beta. I will definately buy the cardboard version.

basilisk says:

Yes, I want to see a world where a goat can buy both life and death!

3. BuboNulus says:

Let’s hope someone writes a book about that game that gets made into a movie…

• mgardner says:

Now that’s a movie tie-in video game I would love to see!

• vlonk says:

I remember seeing a Lord of the Rings book that told the riveting story of a LotR movie. That was not the J.R.R. Tolkien book and not a “making of” book, mind you. It was a book that retold the story of the movie (which is based on a book series…).

So I guess my message is: If The Witcher media hypetrain gets large enough ALL variations of media are greenlit. Therefore the book about the movie about the game about the original book series might well become a real thing.

Rublore says:

I kept expecting the voiceover to tell me what Stanley thought of the game.
    Nice to know he’s getting more work.

• Hauskamies says:

I couldn’t concentrate on what was happening in the trailer because The Narrator made me smile so much.

5. Gothnak says:

I bought it on iPad. It’s a nice little game but feels like it should be co-op when it is actually vs.

6. Shiloh says:

Fantasy Flight make some great boardgames – me and my mate play Eldritch Horror (with the Forsaken Lore expansion) at least twice a month.

PS They should have got Alan “Deadly” Dedicoat to do the voiceover for this – “Will Geralt of Rivia and Dandelion please step onto the game board”

7. montorsi says:

Games don’t save. lel

8. Hensler says:

I played the board game version of this with one of the developers at GenCon – and had no idea why it existed. There was no real fun involved, but they were so enthusiastic about it that we kept playing until the demo ended.