The RPS Bargain Bucket: Bucking the Trend

It’s here. It’s finally here. Black Friday weekend. The capitalistic orgy to end all capitalistic orgies. Not even Christmas is so shameless, so ruthlessly focused on the material. It’s .. it’s glorious, really. If you’re not otherwise busy with turkey comas, this is an excellent time to stalk the various online distributors for deals because it looks like they’re coming in fast and furious.

The Big Deals

Nuuvem: Astonishingly, it looks like Nuuvem may actually have better selections than Steam so make sure to trawl through the 200-strong catalog of discounted stuff.

Steam: Three words. Steam Autumn Sale. You really didn’t need me to alert you to that, did you?

Green Man Gaming: Like everyone else, GMG has a score of games on sale. However, there’s a bit of a difference. The best deals, it seems, are gated behind VIP access. If you fall within this elite crew, you might want to keep an eye on this.

The Regular Stuff

Note: Black Friday seems to equate to “flash sales” friday too. Move quickly, if you like any of the offers. There’s a chance they’ll be gone before you know it.

Alien: Isolation
$15.55/£9.94/€12.49
I wish I wasn’t too chicken to play Isolation in, er, isolation. Because it sounds marvellous, because it sounds like the game Alien fans have been waiting for. Because it sounds bone-freezingly perfect, really. Actually, here, have someone else’s Wot I Think. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Dark Souls II: Collector’s Edition
$51.83/£33.13/€41.64
Dark Souls II is a game that needs no introduction, really. At least, that is if you’ve been on the Internet for any amount of time. Hailed as the grimdark saviour of hardcore gaming (not really,) it reprises the idea of the original: you’re a mysterious stranger in a world that wants to kill you dead. Screw up, and die. (Also, this game lets you be such a wanker in multiplayer.) P.S: This was originally 60% off, but is now 31% off. Because bloody flash sales.

Torchlight
Free! Free! FREEEEEE
Am I excited about an old game? Yes. Why, yes, I am. I’m somewhat less excited about the fact you have to install another client to pick it up. Nonetheless, if you’re okay with that idea and you’re in the mood for some old-school ARPGing, this isn’t a terrible deal. I mean, it’s free. You know?

Call of Duty: Ghosts
$11.99/£7.66/€9.63
Call of Duty is one of those franchises that I could never get into. Partially, I guess, because of the prevalence of sullen teenagers, all of whom seem hellbent on being as tawdry as possible with their insults. But, that’s not to say it’s a horrendous game. It’s popular for a reason. Fans of sweet, sweet military shootiness should consider nabbing this one. Make sure you don’t forget your GAMEBILLET-HELLYEAH code.

Epic 15th Anniversary Promo
$7.96/£4.79/€6.39 for it all
This holiday, give the gift of unreal MONDO SHOOTING EXCITEMENT to your loved ones. GOG.com has epic discounts on Epic’s Unreal franchise. They might be old news to you, but a niece or nephew may find epic enjoyment with these once epic — okay, I’ll stop now. Don’t hurt me.

Choice of the Deathless
$1.97/£1.26/€1.58
Full disclaimer: I am currently working on an IF piece for Choice of Games. (It has hungry ghosts, Southeast Asian mythology, and hell money laundering) Yes, them being a routine presence on Steam will probably be to my benefit. No, promoting this doesn’t net me any monetary returns. Or Doritos. That aside, let me squeak at you about Choice of the Deathless. It’s written by an author named Max Gladstone, who is famous for his Craft Sequence books. The franchise is set in a world where godly energy is the property of bureaucracy, where necromantic lawyers argue over religious misconducts and strange magic is as common as toast. This little piece was the reason I really, really got into Choice of Games’ product line-up and also my gateway into Gladstone’s writing. I love it. You might too.

Dungeons of the Endless – Pixel Pack
$6.49/£4.15/€5.21
I was completely obsessed with Dungeons of the Endless for a time, up till the point the bugs became intolerable and I got distracted by Pokemon. It’s a strange little chimera of a game. There’s a little bit of RPG, little bit of tower defense, little bit of roguelike squashed into its genetics. The pixel art is glorious, its sense of humor understated but winningly sly. I clocked more hours than I thought I would, a testament to how charming this little darling is. It is, however, as is often the case with these things, best with friends. (Endless Space is reputedly quite good as well and is, I believe, at a historic low right now. I am most likely wrong.)

Also of note:

My Little Pony Comic Bundle– $15/£9.59/€12.05
I … what? That is a lot of pink.

1. prostetnik says:

The nuuvem sale is indeed quite amazing. I just got Shadow of Mordor for € 16,35, which is basically half of what Steam wants right now, and I doubt very much that any flash sale or even the inevitable christmas sale will match that price.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It’s impressive. But they don’t have Xenonauts, unfortunately, which is the only game I’m holding out for right this minute. Ah well, back to watching the Steam Sale.

• mhcastrillon says:

In Nuuvem you get a key you can later plug in Steam, right?

• prostetnik says:

Exactly. The game shows up in your nuuvem profile where the steam-key is also displayed. For me it works without problems so far, I’m downloading the game right now.

• mhcastrillon says:

Excellent, ta!

PS – Sadly, not all games are available to buy, some are region-locked. But it lets me buy Shadow of Mordor, Thief and Panzer Tactics. Well, that’s something at least

• Cut says:

I am on a PC in Spain right now. Sadly it won’t let me buy Alien Isolation (but will sell me Shadow of Mordor…)

• Drew says:

And there don’t seem to be any regional restrictions in terms of activation or available languages?

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

As castrillon found out, some games do have destriction. I know for a fact Saints’ Row IV only activates for Brazilian users; no other game is flagged as such, but there might be restrictions. No restrictions as for language AFAIK, once activated the game is like any other.

Also if you love Steam (weirdo) double check the store page, some games that aren’t Steamworks exclusive don’t give Steam keys.

• Drew says:

Thanks for the info! I grabbed Shadow of Mordor at a lovely price and with no problems (unless you consider having to use Steam a problem, which I feel like I should but honestly generally shamefully don’t).

• In Zod We Trust says:

Does anyone know if Origin keys will work this way too? I’m looking at DRInquisition and paying about $50 AUD is better than $60US (Green Man) which is better than $90AUD or whatever if I go to an Australian storefront. I’m just wondering if anyone has experience which region locking on Origin as opposed to Steam, which I haven’t had any trouble with previously.

2. mezron says:

Can’t say I’m a big fan of the Steam sale layout this year. I liked the flash sales and such, even though I pretty much have all the games worth playing. The sale achievements were kind of fun too. Do they even have that this year?

The layout this year feels like wading though the same 5000+ pool of icons to try and see which prices have changed daily.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Pretty sure you’re thinking of last year’s Christmas sale. This is not the Christmas sale. Chill, bide your time.

• mezron says:

Hmmm… now that I think about it Christmas is just a little over 3 weeks away. To have another Steam sale that soon, has Valve had 2 sales that close to each other before?

bsplines says:

Last year was the same if I remember correctly, with the Autumn and the Christmas sale having very similar discounts for most games.

• Baines says:

He’s thinking about the Christmas sale, but it is also that Steam has had its godawful redesign since last year. The redesign makes it more difficult to navigate and harder to find both sales and games that you might be interested in.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yeah, you’ll get no argument from me there. I’m 90% sure the layout for this sale is not functioning how they intended – at least I HOPE it isn’t.

• Jalan says:

I think Valve’s intent was for users to “find their own deals” as it were, by combing through the queue they have lined up. Unfortunately they failed to consider that, not unlike standing in an actual line in a store, most don’t want to take the time to do that and would much rather have deals in a more palatable format.

Of course, there’s always the regular search and filter by lowest price method, but Valve has even mangled that a bit and it doesn’t quite work as it should.

3. clorex says:

Last I checked, Alien Isolation keys from Nuuvem are region-locked to South America.

• All is Well says:

I’m happy to report this is not the case any more. I bought it and it activated without any problems on Steam. It’s true that Nuuvem won’t let you buy it unless you have a Brazilian IP, but this can be circumvented using the Hola extension or similar.

Edit: The DLC for the game seems to be region locked though, at least that’s what Nuuvem tells you.

• Colonel J says:

hmm..I’d looked at this site link to steamlocks.tk to check region locks – and it says Alien:I from nuuvem is locked (as do nuuvem themselves) – good to know that you’ve proved that wrong.

• MirzaGhalib says:

Can anyone confirm this?

• malkav11 says:

It appears that the site actually tells you on the game page whether that game is region-locked. Some stuff is. Alien: Isolation is not and I can confirm that although I had a really hard time creating an account and getting logged in, once I did I successfully bought Alien and registered it on Steam. $15 is at least $10 lower than any American site has had it so far and Steam doesn’t seem to be beating the competition on pretty much anything so far, so I wouldn’t expect their daily deal on it to be that good either.

• clorex says:

Thanks, I didn’t realise they had a warning on the pages of region-locked games. Managed to snag Alien Isolation myself. For anyone wondering, it’s treated as a Rest of World key when activated on Steam.

4. DanMan says:

There’ll be a HD version of Dark Souls 2 next Spring, so you might want to consider that.

• malkav11 says:

It’s not clear at this point, so maybe still worth waiting, but the graphical improvements might be coming to PC as a patch, or at least as part of DLC, rather than making previous owners rebuy the game. Obviously it can’t work that way on consoles since the graphical updates are specifically to take advantage of the new consoles’ superior hardware.

5. Tiktaalik says:

Choice of the Deathless is excellent. As is Max Gladstone.

• malkav11 says:

Very much so. Just such a fantastic (in multiple senses of the word) setting, and very skilled writing to boot. I would make sure to steer far, far away from the Heroes Rise series that is also on Steam, though. Choice of the Deathless is one of the best titles Choice of Games has to offer. Heroes Rise is one of the worst.

• Martel says:

Glad to hear this is good as it piqued my interest looking at the steam store page. Thanks for posting that one Cassandra, looks like it’ll fit well with the “being a parent and need a game that isn’t realtime” gig I have going.

• malkav11 says:

I replayed it enough to get all the achievements. (Not that that’s hard, admittedly.) I never do that.

• mlaskus says:

I would just like to add that many of the Choice of Games are also available on iTunes and Google Play, so you can have them on your phone or tablet. I’ve had plenty of fun with them when travelling.

6. thedosbox says:

Love the odd-couple plushies today.

7. Mr. Anderson says:

I don’t have that much time to play games right now, but I’m very tempted by Shadow of Mordor especially for that price. Do you guys think it will be significantly cheaper in the next couple of weeks?

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

If not cheaper, it’ll definitely hit the same price more towards Christmas.

8. CookPassBabtridge says:

Cassandra, is there any way you could see your way to including flight sim bargains, if such things exist? I am talking like cheap aircraft or scenery deals. Its very niche and I don’t know if they even bother to discount (if bus sims are anything to go by, I have never seen OMSI 2 go cheap), but we do have our dedicated Flare Pathers here who would love some cheap shiny new wings :)

• All is Well says:

This would be nice. To date I’ve relied on word of mouth (yours, actually – retroactive thanks!) and accidentally visiting webpages during sales, but I feel like this system is a bit unreliable, if only just a little. I’d hate to miss out on a discounted MiG-21 :(

• Hammerzeit says:

Rise of Flight is having a 60% off sale until December 2.

• Shadowcat says:

I wish I knew when Third Wire’s sims went on sale. I basically never fly a sim nowadays, so they’ve always been just a bit pricey for me, purely on the basis that I know damn well that in reality I’ll hardly touch them (if I was convinced I’d put more time into them, they’d be fine value for money). An affection for classic British jets always has me eyeing up SF2 Europe and Expansion Pack 2, though.

9. malkav11 says:

I’m not sure of the exact qualification to be a “VIP” on GMG, but I think it’s just having bought a game from them. Or at least, having done so recently.

• BarneyL says:

I have access to the VIP section and haven’t bought a game from them in well over a year so it’s probably any purchase ever.

• Llewyn says:

Likewise – I haven’t even bothered to look on there for ages. Glad you mentioned this though, £3.85 for Enemy Within certainly got my attention.

• lomaxgnome says:

The qualifications are… have an account on GMG. That’s it. If you’re logged in, you can use the VIP section. That said, the deals there are generally not better than the main page + discount voucher prices, and seem to be intended mostly for use by people with GMG credit (which doesn’t work with the vouchers).

• Jalan says:

Some deals on the VIP side seem to block both the voucher(s) and credit use. I tried to use what little credit I have left on Civ V: CE and it just encircled the credit box in red.

10. Kefren says:

Freebie: my Desura/Indie Royale account. Just email me at aquapotator [symbol] gmail.com, or via my website contacts. The account has the following:
    Breath of Death VII & Cthulhu Saves the World (fun little adventures)
    Corril Slayer (horror platformer, I enjoyed it)
    Darwinia, Multiwinia, Defcon, Uplink
    Eufloria
    Hoard
    Lume
    Really Big Sky
    Runespell: Overture
    Serious Sam games: Double D; Kamikaze Attack; The First Encounter; The Greek Encounter; The Random Encounter; The Second Encounter
    Shadowgrounds & Shadowgrounds Survivor
    Soulcaster & Soulcaster II
    SpaceChem
    Trauma (short little adventury game with an interesting atmosphere)
    Trine
    Zeno Clash

11. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I don’t know if this is anywhere but North America, but Square Enix have a sale on the Steam Final Fantasy games, on their website, all of them for about $5 a piece – 7 and 8 slightly less, 3, 4, 13 slightly more.

• Samuel Erikson says:

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been wanting to grab FF13. Shame it’s a 50 gig download.

12. Shadowcat says:

Cassandra: Indie Game Stand also has a big sale on right now:

link to indiegamestand.com

13. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Heed my words: buy nothing! Christmas sales are coming!

If you don’t want to heed my words, heed these other words: Spintires is 40% off on Bundle Stars, (by itself because the word ‘bundle’ has lost all meaning) and Roundabout is 34% off on Humble (and on Steam, but buying through the Humble widget gives the dev the most money, you horrible monster).

• Jalan says:

I bought the re-release of A.R.E.S. through Steam, since at its current price it’s as close as anyone who owns the original version will come to getting it for nothing/gratis but have thus far felt fairly good in not buying anything else despite temptation (passing again on Kingdoms of Amalur was rough). Some of the deals have just been total crap.

14. nemryn says:

It’s 45 issues worth of pink!

15. Shadowcat says:

“Bucketing the Trend”, surely?

Velocibox looks like fun, if you’re the sort of person who enjoyed Super Hexagon, but found it a little on the easy side :)