What Are You Playing This Weekend?

This weekend I am scratching my BioWare itch by playing copious amounts of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Who needs a real social life when you have BioWare making so many virtual people for me to make friends with?

Truth be told I was not going to bother with Dragon Age: Inquisition. Don’t get me wrong I love the Mass Effect trilogy for all of it’s obvious flaws, I just never really got into either of the past Dragon Age games. The only reason I started digging into playing Inquisition was because someone on Twitter drew my attention to a character who I now really want to see in context. Minor character spoilers for DAI incoming. Nothing plot related, but there are some character backstory details coming. You have been warned.

So, trans characters in blockbuster AAA video games are generally handled pretty terribly. At best you have Erica in Catherine who is fantastic up until a point, then gets ruined by lazy decisions for her inclusion in the plot. At worst you get the trans representation in GTA V where you have male character models in female outfits moaning repeatedly about how trans they are and being entirely defined by how hilarious that is. Bring on Krem in Dragon Age: Inquisition, who actually seems to have been handled really well.

Krem is a trans man, someone designated female as birth who has decided to live as male. He’s voiced pretty superbly by Jennifer Hale and not only does he not let his trans status define him, he never becomes a victim for it. He’s a trans character who knows who is and is confident in that, having surrounded himself with a strong group of warriors who have nothing but respect for his abilities.

Also, his boss Iron Bull is a badass. Ask him a really offensive question about if “[he minds] that he’s a woman” and not only does he stand up for Krem as a man, but retorts with the greatest put-down I have ever heard.

“I don’t give a nug’s ass if it’s a little more difficult for him to piss standing up”.

Yep, that got me interested enough to push through the slow start and try get myself invested in the world. So, what are all of you lovely readers playing this weekend?

1. Gilly says:

In this age of gender politics being the go-to issue for politically correct folks, I guess having gay and trans content is a great way of selling a game.

• subedii says:

I feel like… there’s some point you’re trying to make. But I’m not entirely sure what it is to be honest.

• Archonsod says:

Bioware needing to do something to find an audience since their games sure as hell won’t cut it?

• noodlecake says:

This game is pretty fun so far. It got good critical reviews and most people I know who own it are satisfied with it. That’s all you really need to achieve to secure an audience.

• subedii says:

I think it’s fairly safe to say that people wouldn’t want to play it if the gameplay was crap, regardless of diversity.

I mean Crysis 3 having a black protagonist didn’t suddenly change it from being the weakest game in the series that basically cast away a lot of what made the first game so memorable. Certainly didn’t improve its reception any.

And my enjoyment of Walking Dead 2 or Never Alone wasn’t in-spite of my playing the role of a little girl.

• malkav11 says:

And yet Mass Effect 2 is the most popular entry in Bioware’s most popular franchise, despite having possibly the worst gameplay of any Bioware game ever.

• Archonsod says:

It’s not a question of playing it, but of convincing people to buy it after DAII.

• noodlecake says:

That’s your opinion. I enjoyed the gameplay in Mass Effect 2. I feel the gameplay was improved upon with every new game.

• noodlecake says:

I think in the case of Walking Dead season 2, playing as a little girl was a selling point, to me anyway. Not for any political reasons, I just look for lots of different experiences in games and being a little girl in a zombie apocalypse had different implications to the plot than being an adult. Being basicaly an interactive story, that’s quite a big deal. Being a character that happens to be a little girl in, say, DOTA 2 doesn’t really change the experience of the game much at all.

• subedii says:

@Malkav: Personally I felt ME2’s gameplay was way improved over 1. To me ME1’s gameplay felt like they were experimenting to find what works, caught between the old styles of RPG gameplay and something more action oriented. I felt the switch over to making it more straight up action worked in favour of the game they were trying to make. Not to say it would work for other games necessarily, but the ME series really is more of a “guns and conversations” series of games than what I’d call traditional RPG, and ME1 felt like it was straining against that legacy and the abstractions that tend to come with it.

@ noodlecake:

*SPOILERS FOR WALKING DEAD 2*

I remember reading a review of the WD2 where the reviewer basically said that the relationship between Clementine and Kenny is probably something akin to having an abusive parent. And I’d never really thought about it in that way, but when it was put like that it did actually put their relationship in a whole new context for me. The way that Clementine’s always caught between trying to keep Kenny on-side, helping him out when she can, but at the same time desperately trying to moderate the darker and more violent aspects of his character.

It’s not necessarily that they specifically hate each other, they clearly love and care for each other, but at the same time Kenny’s behaviour and interactions with the rest of the group frequently made the relationship toxic and sometimes dangerous. That you love and care for someone doesn’t necessarily prevent those things from happening, and possibly making the situation worse for the both of you (depending on how you view it).

*END SPOILERS*

It’s difficult for me to think that that kind of relationship and that context could have been portrayed without Clementine being a little girl. And it’s not something I’ve really seen in a game before.

• malkav11 says:

I fail to see how taking relatively exciting, option-filled firefights (though not, in and of themselves, great shooter material) down to one-note slogs through corridors filled with arbitrary immersion-breaking waist-high cover is any sort of improvement, but I guess that’s me.

Seriously, unified cooldowns broke powers because it becomes a matter of just spamming the most effective one (and there is a most effective one), the cover mechanic sucks all the energy out of shooting, there was no meaningful variety in weapons or enemies, allies were completely tactically irrelevant, there’s suddenly ammo again for no reason (and never enough)…

I powered through because the individual narrative arcs and characters were pretty cool (even if the main plot has continuity issues with the first game and railroads you into working with a group that’s clearly evil), but…ugh. Come to think of it, though, DAII’s combat is worse because it’s sloggier. I never turned down the difficulty in ME2 just to make the combat stop sooner. I definitely did in DAII. So there’s that. DAII had better, more meaningful RPG systems, though. The skill trees were a huge step down from Origins and a lot of the powers were underpowered until upgraded and sometimes even after that, and not being able to fully manage NPC inventories sucked, but better that than ME2’s “here are some four point trees that you will fill completely so all you’re really doing is choosing the order you get stuff and that barely matters” and “inventories? who needs those when you can increase arbitrary percentages (of a base number that’s never revealed) in a way that at no point feels like an actual increase in your character’s effectiveness”.

I can sort of see arguing that *Mass Effect 3* improves on the original’s systems, since they fixed a lot of what didn’t work in ME2’s systems and ended up with a reasonably robust cover shooter. I’m not sure I necessarily agree (in part because I just don’t like cover shooting nearly as well as the run-and-gun model of shooting), but there’s a case to be made.

• subedii says:

I usually prefer run-and-gun to cover based shooting as well (Gears of was probably the best I’ve seen it implemented, and even that I think could use some work to give it more depth). But ME1 had cover based shooting, and frankly I thought it felt terrible by comparison. It was sticky and horrible and the gunplay didn’t work with it at least in part because it was going by RPG abstractions that were running up against player skill. The latter I can live with (heck, Alpha Protocol does this as well, to a larger degree), but the rest of the control flowing around it just didn’t help by feeling so awkward.

And it really was a question of spamming abilities as well, I can’t say I felt it was very tactical. Similarly the very fact of having an inventory at all didn’t really improve the gameplay to me, I don’t think it was ever really put to any good use apart picking the highest numbers, then selling off parts or recycling them for more gel (So. Much. Gel.). Like the game was trying for a more Diablo style loot drop system but the items themselves weren’t particularly interesting.

Subjective etc, but personally I can’t agree that somehow ME1’s gameplay was categorically better than ME2 (or at least, that’s the implication I got from your first post).

• ansionnach says:

@subedii: Well put. Pretty much agree with everything you say about ME vs ME2, which is surprising seeing as I usually have a different opinion to everyone else! Inventory was a pain, items were mostly “trash” (Americanism is probably the most appropriate word). There was very little chance to interact with your crew in the first game and the romance felt especially forced because you hardly knew anyone. ME2 moved the role-playing to the ship and crew, a bit like having a keep in a fantasy game. The weapons had no numbers but they were all distinctly different and you picked what “felt” right. I think there were certainly some Ultima games where there were no stats for the weapons, probably because Garriott wanted the games to be more about role-playing than min-maxing. A lot of people who prefer the first one seem to think that role-playing games are all about this. Never bothered with a “renegade” play-through but had a good chuckle at some videos of other Shepards who did very different things. Problem with the series was that while ME3 started out well and improved the combat it didn’t do enough new and fell flat. That and all the choices you made ended up getting sucked into a singularity.

• malkav11 says:

ME1 may have had some sort of cover system, but it wasn’t designed around forcing you to use cover and I never did. ME2 was Gears-style cover shooting but Gears had actual weapon and enemy variety (and was still dull until the second game, where they also changed up combat scenarios in a way ME2 never does). And yeah, ME1’s inventory wasn’t great, and it was a bit prone to powers spam. I’m not claiming it was perfect or even all that good, systemically. But the combat was more interesting, exciting and memorable, with setpieces that I still remember, unlike any of the fights (other than the horrible giant terminator boss at the end) in ME2. The levelling required actual, impactful decision-making. It mattered which teammates you brought along with you. The enemy types were distinct and required different approaches to deal with (more so than just the “three different colored health bars” approach of ME2). There was a payoff to looting and shopping. You felt more powerful at the end than at the start, and at points along the way. And an imperfect inventory system is better than nothing at all. Similarly, spamming all your powers is better than spamming one power.

On the subject of weapons: ME2’s weapons were mildly distinct, I suppose, in the sense that in pretty much any game a pistol is not an SMG is not an assault rifle is not a sniper rifle. Same goes for ME1. But in 2, assuming you even had options (I played an adept and got to use pistols and SMGs and I was expected to like it), that was all you were choosing: the category of weapon. No other decision-making involved. One upgrade midway through with slightly different parameters but it was clearly just better and that was it. And more likely, your hand was forced by ammo and the type of health bar on the enemy. (I think the weapon variety situation is somewhat alleviated by the DLC but a) that’s kind of an uncool move, and b) the DLC currently costs dramatically more than the base game, in aggregate, and never gets discounted, ever.)

Edit: In general, I think ME1’s systems had issues, and I would have welcomed thoughtful upgrade and revision of those systems. I don’t feel that virtually yanking them out wholesale and replacing them with systems I would have hated in any game was the right call.

• ansionnach says:

@malkav11: I did have all the DLC. Played as an adept on Insanity and used the Mattock and Tempest with a little Vindicator. Really liked the Mattock, especially when used with the sniper scope (although that may only be in ME3?). Some of the DLC in both the Dragon Age and ME games should have been part of the full game. You either missed out or you paid and got the damn stuff for free at the start (rather than it being a reward unlocked for skilful play). EA ripping off fans is the main problem I have with these games. It’s been a real problem since Dragon Age: Origins and ME2. Can’t understand why this kind of DLC hasn’t died a death (and there even seems to be a degree of enthusiasm for it from both the media and fans).

To comment on your post, it looks like we probably played different games (DLC, and maybe difficulty?). You can use other weapons as an adept as I did, though. I found the level of challenge Insanity threw at you was such that you really did have to think about a scene you just couldn’t do quite a lot and change the way you played. As for shooting and chest-high walls? Only other cover shooter I played was Spec Ops: The Line so it wasn’t old to me. Combat is certainly more believable than the awful combat in KotOR (D20 and Neverwinter Nights lite with zero scope for strategy, really). Played both KotOR games directly after all three MEs. Hadn’t got off the first bloody planet in my at-the-time game of KotOR as I found it so dull… and it didn’t improve much from there. There’s probably more gameplay in the first one (but with a terribly generic story) and more story and stuff that really grabs you in the second (but zero challenge when played on the highest difficulty). Would recommend people play the second with the restoration pack and maybe avoid the first one.

• malkav11 says:

I wasn’t playing on Insanity, no, nor do I own any of the DLC (except for what you got for preordering, since I was a sucker for Bioware at the time – ME2 was an important lesson in not doing that, along with Dragon Age 2…and yet I still can’t seem to learn). I’ve had a few people assure me that upping the difficulty makes the combat better but that has literally never been true in my experience unless higher difficulties actually introduce additional mechanics, which is not the case in ME2. Bad combat is generally worse on higher difficulties because it takes longer and is more likely to need to be repeated; whereas at least on low difficulties you generally can experiment and play around without suffering too much for it. Also you can often take risks that wouldn’t be possible on high difficulties, thus improving the pace and cutting encounters down to a manageable length.

I don’t consider ME2’s combat bad because I’m bored of cover shooters, you understand, although I am not generally a huge fan of the mechanic because it tends to pad out fights with a lot of inconclusive pop-and-shoot back and forth. There’s still plenty of room to make that form interesting, though, and most shooters of the type at least try to do so. I don’t feel ME2 does.

• ansionnach says:

Fair enough. I find that I really dislike a lot of games on the lower difficulty levels as there’s no challenge and I never learn to use any of the game’s systems since you can just win by using normal attacks ad nauseum. Comparing ME2 with DA2, which was largely a bit of a copycat, the balance on Nightmare is awful and veers from ridiculously easy to just lame and unfair (repeatedly dropping the waves right in behind your mages with no warning). That game was released unfinished. Not buggy when I played it but with some very obvious flaws that aren’t normally in Bioware games.

As you said, there are certainly issues with all of the games. For me, ME2 got away with its being a cover shooter by doing everything really well. It was the first one I played and it certainly feels stiff going back to it after ME3. I’d say that predictability of the controls is important… and ME2 certainly has that. Spec Ops: The Line doesn’t. When you run into a wall in ME2 you get behind it but in Spec Ops the game doesn’t always respond as you’d expect and you can die a lot because of it. I’d call that bad control. On Insanity there are some difficulty spikes (the Horizon boss and the Collector ship bosses), especially for adepts. ME3 was easy all the time, especially for adepts. Long story short (or is it already long?) one of the reasons I didn’t like ME3 other than the ending was that it needed to inject more variety into the game than just being ME2 with some improvements to the combat, a less engaging campaign and optional missions that were almost all obviously multiplayer survival maps. If they’d gone back to both of the preceding games and tried to make the third one in some way an improvement of the best parts of both then it had the ambition to be more than a passable game. Citadel DLC was great, though, and probably the only essential DLC. The respeccing you get from ME2 Shadowbroker should have been in the full game. As it is, ME3 is more: “Remember ME2? Well some more, similar stuff happened but we did it so half-heartedly that you’re best off just making up your own story”.

Enjoy your gaming weekend!

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Meh… Try harder.

• waltC says:

Well, I think it is surely fair to say that the following quote has absolutely no point at all:

You know, I don’t either. So wtf is a line like this doing in the game?…;) Games would be so much better if the things none of us gives a nug’s ass about were simply left in the cutting room. But I forgot: EA is a bastion of LGBT politics, and is trying to do to computer games what ESPN is doing to sports (Fortunately, I don’t think either developers or customers will put up with that–nobody likes propaganda shoved down his throat…uh, that was unintentional, I swear…;)) It’s like being lectured by Nancy Pelosi on “The Joys of Heterosexuality.”

• notenome says:

You do realize that you’re lecturing about not wanting to be lectured, right?

• Crane says:

Why yes! Certainly, the bonus sales you get from the Social Justice Warrior brigade outweighs the sales you lose from people who won’t buy a game featuring “them thar queers what pervert against the will of God what with all their sickness”! And your game will never get banned in some countries because depicting homosexuality is illegal!

Hoo boy, it’s just PURE PROFIT to have the queers, yes sir-ee!

• brgillespie says:

Calm the fuck down.

Gilly’s remarking on the notion that the author is dropping $60 solely to see a tertiary character (apparently) because they’re being portrayed as transsexual. (Or paid to see one minor character and stuck around for the rest of the show, perhaps.)

To each their own, but…

• noodlecake says:

No. I think the original point was disdain towards the fact that a game represents transgender and gay people in a sensitive way, and because they don’t have those views it must be some kind of cynical attempt to make lots of extra money. The response was a very logical one. You’re far more likely to alienate the reactionary “anti-PC” or fundamentalist hoards than to draw those who are sensitive towards people’s gender and sexuality.

• leeder krenon says:

actually it’s about ethics in games journalism.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Or in other words, tokenism.

Except that when it’s handled well it’s not tokenism anymore, and it comes from a studio that always tried to pioneer that.

Let’s also remember that poor old Bioware with their LGBT love almost singlehandedly made EA be elected as the worst company of the year. I hope nobody really believes that a mere gaming company could achieve such a feat if political forces weren’t involved.

This actually equates to more lost profits than anything else, but they’re willing to risk it in spite of that.

• notenome says:

uh…. EA is the worst company because EA does a lot of douche bag things. Framing that as being a backlash against progressive LGBT depictions was EA’s marketing spin.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

No matter how you spin it, it’s completely impossible for a gaming company to be the worst of all only for it’s bad policies. The competition is way too strong and most of them actually affect, you know, real problems.

• apocraphyn says:

What the hell are you on about? EA were releasing tonnes of inherently flawed games during the time(s) they got elected worst company of the year by The Consumerist, as well as continuing their shady DLC practices and kindling the general disdain of Origin that is apparent even here on RPS, and each time they were effectively swarmed with troll votes by the sillier areas of the internet, such as SA and 4chan. Take off your tinfoil hat and look at things in perspective for a second.

As for Bioware being champions of all things LGBT – yeah, this has been the case for a good long while. They know a significant portion of the louder parts of their fanbase are part of that community, so they sensibly placate them with exactly what they want to see. Nowt wrong with targeting niche audiences – representation is representation, after all – and it makes perfect sense; it certainly turns a profit, as proven by the author of this article.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, this can’t possibly have anything to do with the actual writers having a passion for that sort of stuff, it needs off course to be a deliberate marketing stunt. Allright.

I have no tinfoil hat, you simply have to open your eyes and realize that we are nothing, gamers at large might be a huge demographic but not those like us, and it really doesn’t matter how many individuals are on 4chan, a truckload of random people and average joes ( the 90% of the rest of the world ) have no actual clue that EA does anything more than sport games and maybe some kind of FPS game that wanted to beat CoD.

A gaming company can’t get a result even remotely close to that out of invested gamers alone, and even if it does it simply means the world is really done for considering how many other companies are responsible of far greater damage.

Also, i’m in no way defending EA nor i am trying to claim they didn’t deserve at least a very bad title.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

Ah, attracting the PC brigade with trans and gay content, truly the new money well now that there are too few bigots to make “attract the bigots with sexist and hypermasculine content” worth it.

Poor show.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeeeah…no. I don’t think you’re the target demographic for RPS.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Who is the target audience for RPS? A bunch of people who read a guys comment and based off their own bs conjecture decide he’s a LGBT-phobe? FFS. This is what is wrong with the internet.

• BigBadB says:

Obvious troll is obvious.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Not sure, i’m pretty sure he’s really honest.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Dear lord, please no. I cannot handle that much cynicism being completely straight-faced. I seriously need a hug right now.

• Lobster9 says:

I often see the suggestion that it’s just a cash grab, or an attempt to be shocking or controversial in some way, but until these characters become normal and everyday in games, it’s always going to get that flak no matter what your intention is. Being the first will always win you criticism. So it’s better to just shut out the noise, and take the damn risk, rather than sit around quibbling over how it will be perceived by people who don’t matter.

LGBT people exist, and the fact that it is viewed as unusual, unique, or controversial for them to appear in these games, speaks more about their broad absence in triple-A, than it does about the motives of those adding them. If it’s a cash grab, then who the hell cares? At least they are being represented.

Even if it’s because of some evil corporate reasoning, then it’s still better than total invisibility. If anything it’s nice that they are being considered a potential market at all.

I am really enjoying the game. I think it’s a massive improvement over the fairly dull DA2. I’ll admit the hinterlands is far too big, and gives it a false MMO feel early on, but once you’re out amongst the wider world, that feeling goes away. There is so much companion story content to explore, and the main act missions are big and punchy. Also, yeah, the fact that it made my trans friend super happy was a nice bonus, not gonna lie.

• Fomorian1988 says:

I wish there was a way to give “thumbs up” to comments on RPS – this post definitely deserves it.

• CKScientist says:

Everyone in this thread seems to be assuming the Gilly is implying that this is bad, that it’s bad for something to be a cash grab. Why should that be? This is the market at work: If economic forces push companies to be inclusive in their content, they will be inclusive in their content. The company doesn’t have to be inherently moral or immoral for its actions to be moral or immoral. Financial incentives are a much stronger motivator than some ephemeral social movement.

• Archonsod says:

Going by Thedas statistics, around 25% of the population is homosexual, 25% heterosexual and 50% bisexual. Krem is also interesting; rather than the Chantry where gender actually has real significance, they place him with the Qunari, who see caste far more important than gender or for that matter species. Can’t help but think you’ve gone wrong somewhere when you’re using a Maoist fascism as a progressive example.

The problem isn’t that they’re included, cash grab or no. It’s that Bioware shovel them into places that make little sense within the context of the world. As a result rather than a mature or even semi-realistic portrayal we’re stuck with something that jars the suspension of disbelief, does a disservice to those it actually represents and feels a lot like it was written by a bunch of 14 year olds wanting a pat on the head for demonstrating how progressive and understanding they are more than anything else. Although I suppose a sensible approach is probably not on the cards when they regularly use the number of people your character can sleep with as a selling point.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Bingo. Bingo. Bingo. We have a winner here folks

• Noc says:

Yes. With the magic and the monsters and the darkspawn and the elves and everything, the terrible, immersion-breaking sin is the fact that you don’t expect so many people to be gay.

• benzoate says:

Why doesn’t it make sense though? There are lots of places where non-straightness ‘doesn’t make sense’ like pro sports but that certainly hasn’t stopped ‘those’ people from partaking, for a long long time.

It’s not like it’s shoved down your throat, there’s something like a dozen characters that end up on your team, you are certainly free to go all hetero if you choose.

• MisterFurious says:

Yeah, it’s sad. Some day bigots won’t have any games to play. sniff

• aleander says:

Yeah, that. I mean, everything else has been said, but let’s even say the troll is right, and it was done for profit. Then, it’s like, oh noes, under social pressure the corporations bow down to the outrageous demand to be decent to people. What next? T-shirts made in humane conditions? Oh, the humanity!

2. dethtoll says:

The Evil Within, picked it up for a twenty the other day.

So far it’s silly as hell, just as I’d hoped. It reminds me of The Suffering, Manhunt, Condemned and Outlast; all games I enjoyed to some extent, coupled with the classic silliness I’ve come to expect from Japanese survival horror that isn’t Silent Hill 1-3.

• subedii says:

It is very silly, and I agree that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Like all the games you mentioned, it takes itself seriously, but as long as you accept the basic idea of “it’s all in your, or someone else’s head, or something, maybe” you can basically roll with it.

• JimmyG says:

This comment comes like a splash of water to the face after reading the thread above it.

“Wait, what post is this? Oh, right.”

3. Fontan says:

My main gaming PC is still in a box, but I might as well return to Shadowrun: Dragonfall on my notebook this weekend, hopefully.

4. Vandelay says:

Super Smash Bros. Wii U. Sorry PC.

Although, having not played a Smash Bros game since playing on friends’ N64s, I have discovered how absolutely terrible I am at it.

• subedii says:

Fantasy, but I’d like to see Blizzard make a try at a Smash Bro’s style game some day. I mean Sony already have (whether it was all that good is a different issue).

Either Blizzard or Valve, but I think Blizzard has a better cast of characters for something like that. Heroes of the Storm is already the basic idea in a different style of game.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I once read somewhere that it takes on average 4 years to learn how to play SSB.

5. Renato84 says:

Felt like I needed to say this: Mass Effect 3’s writing was a horrible pain from start to finish. Compared to the brilliant first and second iterations, the third one was a tedious bad joke. Didn’t even bother playing DA2, loved DA:O though. Now I’m surprisingly anxious to play Inquisition, with people all around saying great things of its writing and overall atmosphere. Let’s see…

I’ll be playing more Divinity: Original Sin this weekend.

particlese says:

Guess I’ll jump in here and say I’m still working my way through ME3 this weekend. I think I may have built up an immunity to its lazy writing, as the dialog had me wincing frequently for the first 10-20 hours, but i just finished and completely loved the Citadel DLC. My lord, the fanservice*. So glorious! So copious! I can’t quite tell if the writers wrote better because their overlords were too busy giving each other high-fives for the tropefest of a game they delivered**, or if the self-referential, tongue-in-cheek nature of the mission pack just cast the same writing in a different light, or if the game has finally found my brain’s “let’s just enjoy this superhero movie, okay?” switch, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

*Not that kind of fanservice, thankfully.
      **which I’m nonetheless enjoying muchly, all told

6. Vurogj says:

One-Way Heroics, which I just picked up in Steam Sale (TM). A delightful JRPGish pixel roguelike, where you travel to the right, chased by lethal darkness caused by the Demon Lord you must reach and kill.

I’ve just checked the price again, and it was 57p. FIFTY SEVEN PENCE?! It’s one of the nicest things I’ve played in ages.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Thanks for pointing this out! I was looking for something supercheap to add onto whatever I end up grabbing from this sale, and this one looks like a winner.

7. SooSiaal says:

Mechwarrior online, started playing again yesterday after months of ignoring it, have to say, it is pretty fun (at times)

• Cinek says:

In the same mood (re-trying older online games) I got back again into War Thunder last weekend and will play it this weekend as well. It’s a really good game, especially with a new damage cam – you actually can tell what’s going on (shame that replay system is still broken, so you can’t really use them to judge anything other than tanks positioning). I feel like they corrected plenty of complains I had with it while trying it out originally. Right now I dare to say that it’s more fun – and in many ways: grown up game – than World of Tanks.

8. noodlecake says:

I’m playing a little of DA: Inquisition too. It’s not blowing me away, but it’s not boring either. I’m not hugely arsed either way about the transgender character, but it’s nice that he’s there. His inclusion makes me no more or less inclined to play it, as in a heavily story driven game it’s the strength of the plot and the characters combined with good world creation, character design, interesting decisions for the player and interesting environments that I’m looking for. The combat is something to be endured more than enjoyed.

I finished the Telltale Borderlands game yesterday, which was SO GOOD! I wish I could erase the memory of it from my mind and play it again.

I might play more Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Dungeon of the Endless too, both of which I always have a fantastic time with.

9. Kefren says:

I prefer the term sex to gender. link to karldrinkwater.blogspot.co.uk

As to games: playing through the HD version of Resident Evil 4. I’d completed it twice before, but it is so good it’s worth another playthrough (despite such silliness as Leon not even commenting the first time a body dissolves into jelly). The HD version does look a bit better, and the other tweaks are subtle rather than overwhelming. It still has issues e.g. I redefined my keyboard controls, which is fine, except when a quick time event occurs they revert to XC or LMB+RMB. So I walk forward with the arrow keys, and have to hover my other hand over either the mouse or the XC keys, which means half the time I guess wrong, die, try again.

• subedii says:

I’m waiting on the RE4 texture project before going back to it.

link to re4hd.com

Funny thing: I actually played the original PC port, which was atrociously bad. But the good thing is that it had a very dedicated modding community, and once you modded it, it actually looked really good (and played quite well as long as you used a gamepad and had the appropriate mod for button prompts)

When I played this remake, I was confused that it looked worse than I remembered, until I realised that the modded PC work those guys had done had made it look a lot better than the quick-fix up-res job the studio did here on most of the original blurry textures.

So to the RE4HD mod, and I have to say the work those guys are doing is seriously impressive. Every texture’s getting replaced by the look of things, either with reworks that try to adhere to the original textures (something which funnily enough, the new release didn’t adhere to all that strictly), or often times with hi-res reworks of the original source textures. Apparently a part of the crew lives in Spain and has been able find and snap photos of a lot of the familiar doors, textures and other miscellaneous bits and pieces that were used to create the original game.

IIRC they’re even fixing some of the misaligned geometry from the original game.

• subedii says:

Some examples:

link to twitter.com

Search for “look familiar?”

• Kefren says:

That’s really interesting, thanks! My first two playthroughs were the original PC port (I had it on DVD), I remember it well. I love the attention fans apply to HD mods; I followed the System Shock 1 and 2 mod scenes for years (particularly through the TTLG fora).

• aleander says:

And I prefer the term liquid propellant to the term soggy pizza, but what does that have to do with anything?

10. Pich says:

trying to stop Skyrim from crashing every 10 minutes. still no success.

11. montorsi says:

Inquisition playthrough two for me. There is this issue at the beginning of cut scenes where the FPS dives and the audio stutters for a moment that I could really do without. That and the occasional CTD (the game mercifully autosaves like no other so rarely lose progress, but still…) Otherwise, fabulous fabulous game.

In retrospect, I don’t think I knew what to expect when they said it wasn’t true open world but the areas were huge. I mean, I’ve played every Bioware game. When they say huge areas, I figure we’re going from a normal hall closet to something like a walk-in. But no, the scale here is enormous, and each is packed with a variety of things, companion banter and observations, quests that often link to various things you wouldn’t have suspected.

Anyway, fun times. And I didn’t even take a look at a couple areas my first time through. Hopefully this playthrough is a proper 100%ing.

• Eight Rooks says:

It really cannot be repeated enough how big each level is. And they just keep getting bigger. It’s Monster Hunter/Dragon’s Dogma turned up to eleven and then some. More than once I’ve wandered around a bit going “Ooooo…” and then actually checked the map, seen how big the level really was and just been left speechless. They’ve got obvious walls and tricks to make you think they’re more expansive than they are, sure, but still, they’re really, really, really big.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Seems almost as they overreacted to fan feedback, there was a point it almost felt too much to take. Bear in mind that i’m quite compulsive when it comes to this sort of stuff, the first thing i did in FC4 was completing all the towers and camps i could.

So yeah, for someone like me this kind of approach is the worst enemy to pacing, to the point where i felt stupid doing the next little step of the mainquest 3 days after, which was rather weird for immersion. Not that i’m really complaining though, it’s just me being unable to resist stuff, and to their credit such stuff is actually well done.

So i guess it’s a thumbs up.

• amateurviking says:

I’m in the same boat, I can’t resist hoovering up everything. Although I’m trying to use my first playthrough as a way of maybe addressing that desire and suppressing it more effectively. Getting better at leaving rifts that are a level or two above me for example, rather than just banging my head against them until I get annoyed and quit the game.

Helps that the map marker system is actually fairly refined – it marks locked doors that you can’t open yet for later for example, removing the ‘I won’t remember this’ fear.

Loving it so far, and it really ramps, which is nice. Things just get better and better.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Aye, and now i need to spend my first specialty points in something i don’t like because i can’t stand the idea of not having the ability to open that stuff :(((

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Might be related to the game abruptly resynching to 30 fps for the cutscenes, rig X might handle it gracefully and rig Y might not. Try this as launch options:

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

SoundDust says:

It was pretty nice to find out that, at one point when I thought the game was about the reach towards the end, it was just about to properly start.

Don’t see this mentioned much, but to be fair, this is one really good looking game. A lot of my game time goes to admiring the scenery.

12. Eight Rooks says:

Still Inquisition and Unity, though I’m not using Iron Bull (currently Cassandra, Sera, Dorian). I’m liking Inquisition more and more as I go on. There’s a lot to criticise; it doesn’t have the character development of II and its writing isn’t really as good (certainly not consistently). It’s kinda bloated, and it feels as if Bioware struggled to balance all this content (problems with pacing, lots of throwaway MMO-lite filler, some brilliant voice acting, some shockingly bad). They’re still struggling to produce a good GUI, not to mention the overhead view is of limited use and the combat is sort of… clunky (it really feels like a slower, more awkward Dragon’s Dogma).

That said, the sheer scale of the thing is awe-inspiring, it’s more good than bad, and when it’s good it’s often really, really good. It’s Dragon’s Dogma with a proper HD graphics engine, at least, and some of the areas are absolutely magnificent. Combat is simplified but there’s still scope for different playing styles and mixing things up. There’s a lot of busywork, but at least it’s fun busywork. The story wobbles along a bit, as Bioware games so often do, but the cast keep it going – they’re not up to DA2 but they’re miles better than Origins. It’s not my game of the year, I don’t think, but I can certainly see how someone else might feel it was theirs.

13. Agnosticus says:

Seems like it is going to be Verdun (please be good!) and Wreckfest, after having watched the tech demo and played and loved Flatout 1+2. Both early access unfortunately, but they seem very fleshed out and I’m trusting Bugbear on this. But Verdun…anyone played it yet?

14. jezcentral says:

Dragon Age Inquisition for me. Still in the Hinterlands on my first play-through. :)

• derbefrier says:

same here though i think i am about ready to move on to other areas not because i have finished the area but because after 20 or so hours in one area i am ready for a change of scenery…

15. melnificent says:

Mainly trying to play Inquisition single player, especially now I know there is a superbly written trans character. It’s nice to see games portray the reality of friends by things like iron bulls response.

But I’ll probably end up playing the multiplayer portion instead as I don’t have to try and remember story when I get 30 minutes play at a time.

16. SuicideKing says:

I’ll probably play a bit of Borderlands 2, as I have been for far too long. Easiest game to fire up, shoot random people and shut it back down.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Utter lies!

You can’t really quit the game until the legendary drops.

• SuicideKing says:

Ah but now I need a lv 59 Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold to replace my lv 55 one!

17. Duke of Chutney says:

I’m trying to play elite but I cannot work out from the tutorials or control listings how to land once inside a space station or how to hyperspace jump and trying to open the sector map just seems to lock every control apart from the escape button :). And I though X3 had a terrible interface.

Also the Elite forum won’t let me register because i cannot pass its turing test. We are having a dispute over whether 9+4 really does equal 13.

• jonahcutter says:

Perhaps you’re an AI and just haven’t realized it yet.

• Duke of Chutney says:

this is quite possible. Though who ever designed the interface for this game seems to be an AI. It is worse than X3.

18. Jeroen D Stout says:

Continuing my play-by-e-mail Alpha Centauri game. It is a great way to play the game… just not having the feeling that doing something wrong is reversible is good, but having another human somehow adds to the atmosphere tremendously.

19. Gargenville says:

I’m assembling hella Ikea this weekend and can’t actually reach my PC but intend to sneak in some Project Diva F2 on the Sony Computer Entertainment Playstation Vita Handheld Gaming System.

20. melnificent says:

The most important thing I’m doing this weekend. Preparing court paperwork for my elite dangerous refund.

2 weeks no response beyond “we need time”

• Duke of Chutney says:

that bad eh

• melnificent says:

Yeah, that bad.

I got a message on the 19th saying, thanks for contacting us about a refund. Then nothing. I emailed their enquires and called them and it was looking like it was going to get sorted. Then the COO (who emailed me first), went silent and that was the last I heard from them.

I’m now just biding my time until the 14 days is up and then link to imgur.com

21. LionsPhil says:

C&C Generals: Zero Hour.

Yup, still as good as I remember.

22. cpt_freakout says:

I started Valiant Hearts yesterday and will probably finish it later today since I think I’m near to the end. Pretty good, but I do think it’s one of those cases in which the music is too commanding – it is always telling you how you should be feeling right now. Then again, it has a straightforward ‘evil bad guy’ in the German officer, with maniacal laughter and everything, so it’s pretty heavy-handed in general. Still liking it, though hopefully, if they do another VH in another war, it will be a bit more subtle with its cartoony side.

MonkeyMonster says:

I will be leading the Norn zerg through Tyria as part of RPS does Battle of the Five Armies on it’s way to squish tequatl. 6pm for those who do have gw2 and fancy a quick (long) rumble. 5 race based zergs wandering through the verdant landscapes before joining together for a Royal Rumble.

24. Lagran says:

Setting up an old laptop with games to check out if they’ll run without overheating the thing/running better than 2FPS. I’d like a newer portable computer to take around with me, but the games I’d want to play would necessitate an £800+ purchase and I can’t justify that.

It’s brilliantly specced to play any mainstream game up to ~2002, and a fair few newer indie games. My GOG collection is almost perfect for it.

25. MrThingy says:

Elite Dangerous : Gamma. Not looking forward to the next data Wipe before release, but I understand why it’s necessary. Found a great trade run on the Federal border between 2 systems. Planning to head straight there after the release date and trade there for a decent head start.

26. Ignis says:

I’m playing Dragon Age: Cis-Inquisition

27. DarkLiberator says:

Europa Universalis 4 as Bohemia. Very interesting so far.

28. Brosecutor says:

Just finished Inquisition after 74 hours. Bloody brillant game, but the ending sucks big time. Mass Effect 3 at least tried.

• malkav11 says:

Did ME3 really try? I’m not so sure.

• Brosecutor says:

Trust me, compared to DA:I, it did. REAL hard.

• malkav11 says:

That’s…ominous, considering that Mass Effect 3’s ending was basically fifteen minutes of completely left field leadup to an arbitrary choice and then the most perfunctory closing cutscene possible, including virtually no meaningful difference between the endings, from a presentation point of view. (Theoretically there are huge differences from a story perspective, but the original ending cutscenes present none of the ramifications of the choice whatsoever.)

• Rolento says:

Glad I held off buying it. ME3 ending really pissed me off. Thanks for the heads up.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Eh, I’ve more or less given up on videogame endings. How many of them have actually done it even close to right?
      I tend to just accept the ending will probably suck, and get as much enjoyment as I possibly can out of the journey leading up to it.

• malkav11 says:

Neverwinter Nights 2 lets you join the big bad and rule for a thousand years of darkness. I call that getting an ending right.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Wasn’t NWN2 Obsidian?
          I should have said, Obsidian games don’t count, because, yknow, it’s Obsidian.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, you’re right. You can expect quality from Obsidian in a way you can’t most other games.

• ansionnach says:

Sounds great. Getting through the first NWN now in co-op and am really enjoying it, NWN2 is lined up after that. There should be a rule that RPGs must allow you save or enslave the world (or universe) in the end. If they don’t do this they’d better have a very good reason for it. That reason can’t be “Sorry, we wrote ourselves into a corner. Thanks for all the cash!”.

• Wulfram says:

I didn’t mind the ending. I mean, the final fight and the post-victory stuff is merely OK – unlike ME3 it doesn’t screw things up – but the broader ending running up to that is good.

29. malkav11 says:

After having spent every day since the launch of Warlords of Draenor playing pretty much nothing but WoW, I’m trying to diversify for the holiday weekend (US holiday, that is. Seems to be nothing special for you UK folks.). So far so good. Yesterday I got in about four levels worth of CoD: Black Ops II, which based on my play so far has not gotten nearly enough credit for trying new and interesting things (albeit still loosely within the usual CoD blockbuster theme park ride framework), even if the Strike Force part doesn’t really work for me. I also checked out Endless Legend, which looks promising, and Dungeon of the Endless (about four runs worth), which is clearly going to be an obsession but man, I really need to work on my exit plans. And I played probably half of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which I intend to return to and finish off later today. Gorgeous, with some surprising sequences and way more gore than I was expecting. I think it could probably use slightly more guidance, and there are places you can run around for a while that don’t seem to have any purpose at all but I get paranoid about missing stuff, which is not a great combo for me. But I feel like I will probably enjoy it enough to have been worth the $11 or so I spent on it.

Gonna try and spend some quality time with Inquisition, too. We’ll see how that goes.

30. Jamesworkshop says:

Yes dragon age inquisition, for this and probably the next 5 years worth of weekends

31. Jonfon says:

Divinity Original Sin for me, it finally went ‘click’ for me a couple of weeks ago.

DA:I I’ll get to eventually. I was going to get it yesterday but the Steam Sale ambushed me on the way and stole my monies for on Lego Marvel Super Heroes and Kerbal Space Program. But Lego Marvel is horrible on a keyboard so that’ll have to wait until I nab a cheap Xbox controller for my PC.

60 euros for DA:I seems excessive, screw you Origin.

Incidently the fabulous Endless Legend is 50% off on Steam which is well worth it (hell the 100% price of 30 euro was well worth it)

32. katinkabot says:

At my parents for American thanksgiving. Booted up my childhood pc and have been playing titanic: adventure out of time and shivers. Also found the terrible sim copter which I will also probably play for hours.

33. fish99 says:

Since I own no less than five Assassin’s Creed games I figured it was time to actually play one, so I’m currently half way through the original game. It’s fun enough to keep me playing, and the cities look great, but some of the game mechanics are badly designed, while others malfunction regularly enough to add significant frustration. The story/protagonist aren’t great either and the modern-day sci-fi stuff adds nothing to the game but padding. It’s a repetitive game too – saving citizens, climbing towers and lots of sword fighting where counter is the only move worth using.

It is still fun overall though. Looking forward to finishing it and moving onto the 2nd game which was better reviewed.

• melnificent says:

One shows the potential and is rough and ready. As you noticed the systems and controls can be a bit lacking in certain areas. Such as no running when there are people about.
      Two was far better control and system wise and I think also allowed you to run without penalty. Ubi must’ve given the budget for the game after the success of the first one.

From there it was more defrag the map of icons and the addition of multiplayer. Multiplayer is surprisingly fun, but brotherhood was the first iteration and like AC:1 was rough. Revalations was the high point for me, with engaging story and fun multiplayer.
      From there it was a terrible fall into AC:3, if you own it I’m sorry for you.
      Which was immediately followed by the superb Assassins Creed Presents PIRATES… Sorry AssFlag…. Assassins creed:Black Flag.

Then there is a huge bugfilled monstrosity that is Unity.

• fish99 says:

Thanks. I avoided picking up AC3 after seeing review scores, and won’t consider Unity until it’s fixed. The first game is still fun, but as the difficulty ramps up (I’m on contract 6 of 9 I think) the mechanics are getting more annoying so it need to be played in short bursts. It’s a while since I’ve swore at a game this much :D

• malkav11 says:

For a dissenting opinion, I’m finding III really enjoyable and have found the series just keeps improving game to game. Revelations has been if anything the weakest of the five I’ve played to date because although it makes some mechanical/design improvements, the story’s kind of nonessential and many of the new features are equally disposable.

• fish99 says:

Well TBH the fact that the game looks to involve mostly killing Brits would put me off anyway, even without review scores. Plus I have enough unplayed AC games in my backlog to keep me going for a good while (2, rev, bro, flag).

• malkav11 says:

I am told that there are Templars and Assassins on both sides of the Revolutionary War but I confess I haven’t gotten that far.

• fish99 says:

Ok thanks, if I continue to enjoy the series through the other games then I’ll give it a try. I can probably pick it up in the xmas sale for under £5.

34. ansionnach says:

I’m going to play some more Civ2. Love its simplicity. Never tried the third one or the fifth one but 2 and Alpha Centauri are good enough to keep me busy. The graphics and slowness of IV really put me off. Might look at it again sometime, it certainly seemed to have some interesting ideas.

• MrThingy says:

I miss Fundamentalism (from Civ 2 in later games, I mean… not Fundamentalism as in the real thing!). But the Civ 2 fanatic units were quite cool, didn’t need any support, you could throw them against the walls of enemy cities near continuously… and they had a cool sound effect as well. :D

• ansionnach says:

I’ve never used them, to be honest. Played Civ2 mostly circa 1996 – 2002 and just enjoyed a chilled-out game on easy. Maybe I like messing around with the settlers and engineers without being hassled by annoyingly aggressive neighbours more than everything else. Probably played Civ2 the same way I played the first one, with the same rules where I could change them. Playing it on Prince for the first time and it’s not that hard. Opponents are very aggressive (even in classic 2.42) so I’m currently stomping on the Egyptians, Germans and Babylonians at once (Greeks just bought it). Since I’m more into science I have never even tried fundamentalism. That, and I guess it doesn’t appeal in real life either (as you said yourself). That unit does sound cool, though – sounds like you can use them like zerglings, sending them merrily to their doom to soften up the enemy? Probably reasonably true to how vulnerable people are used by such groups in real life! Anyway I go straight to monarchy, then communism (if some of the neighbours need to learn some manners)… otherwise republic and democracy. If there’s one thing they need to do in a new civ game (if it hasn’t been done already) is to let you put the senate up in front of a firing squad when you go back to communism because they keep on allowing the enemy to build up forces around your cities before they attack!

While I’m being mildly controversial I can even throw in a gender roles anecdote: was sixteen when I got Civ2 and Syndicate Wars for Christmas. Was looking at Tomb Raider in Game, and a couple of guys I knew said it was really good, but I took a look at the box and said to myself that I wasn’t that stupid. Thought it was insulting my intelligence that this tarted-up Prince of Persia rip-off was cynically aimed at young guys like me. Of course, it turned out to be a very good game and I enjoyed the first two when I got a lend of them. Civ2 and Syndicate Wars were and are vastly superior in my view, though. Even though I loved and finished the first Syndicate and I really enjoyed Wars, I never finished it because I was playing so much Civ2 (on easy).

35. EyalLan says:

I’ve been playing The Witcher. I’ve never touched a game in the series up until now. Well, I like its deep story and how even side-quests are story-driven.

What I don’t like is having to run around the map to complete them. Even investigation quests play like fetch ones, and there are certain areas with infinite respawning of enemies like the swamp. It makes the whole thing even more tedious.

• B.rake says:

Oh god, I just finished the first Witcher… it only took me two years! Not that there is so much content in the game (though I did get a bit OCD with sidequests for some reason) but I found the only state in which I could enjoy the endless backtracking around its convoluted maps (no jumping, WHY?!!?! and that f*ng Swamp) were the liminal minutes before sleep. I did enjoy the world/setting, characters and the Polish voice acting where most sound like angry drunkards. Even kind of liked the rhythm clicky combat, at least when it wasn’t so laggy that my character sometimes instantaneously jump from full health to dead (I believe its the same engine as Dragon Age Origins in which I’ve had no similar issues). But the fetchy quests and travel were so horrible, its not a game I would ever recommend (the little bit of Witcher 2 I’ve played suggests that its significantly better).

And then there was that moment I was handing out raw wyvern steaks to hungry homeless elves and somehow ended up in a sex scene… gee, thanks?! If you haven’t read this it’s hilarious and/or depressing (much linked in these parts) though a bit spoilery – link to fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com

• ansionnach says:

I’ve got a Witcher game on the go. Actually like it for all its faults. It’s quite rough around the edges in the way a lot of old-skool RPGs used to be. I hear what you’re saying about the cards, it’s pretty much the main turn-off for me. I don’t particularly have a problem with people being allowed be a dick in an RPG but there’s pretty much no way to have a normal relationship. Both Dragon Age: Origins and this were released around the same time, promising “mature” stories, but it was mostly just blood and sex done very childishly (although DA:O did have a lot more going for it beneath the surface). Triss and Geralt having a difficult chat about where their relationship is going and whether she’s happy to just adopt if they’re to have kids (considering he’s sterile) is crying out for some real “mature” treatment (maybe it has been?). If she wanted to conceive naturally, how would Geralt and Zoltan get on afterwards should he be the man to lend a helping… hand?

All that and the dialogue and voice acting is awful, feels unnatural and hastily patched together (think the game was rushed).

• notenome says:

Triss is sterile as well. Witchers and sorceresses are both sterile.

• ansionnach says:

I see. My main point was about the quality of the writing. I’m expecting everything to be much better in the second game. I find the gamplay and traipsing around fun, though… even in the swamp. Appreciate the ambition of any game that tries to create a big single-player world and immerse you in it. Wasn’t very far in when I stopped playing for no real reason last year (think I finally finished Ultima Underworld). Am in some town where you start in Triss’s house.

• Jonfon says:

The Witcher 1s engine is the same as Nwn2 I believe which was also a horrendous mess. I think both derived / forked from the original Nwn one.

I think Dragons Age used a newer engine. On Craptop (my beloved elderly laptop) both ran like pants, although I remember one Witcher patch improving things drastically for me.

The Witcher 2 uses their own Red Engine which was lightyears more impressive (by that state Craptop had been superceeded by a desktop so id no probs playing it)

The Witcher 2 uses t

• malkav11 says:

The Witcher and NWN2 are not on the same engine, exactly. They’re both based on NWN1’s (terrible) Aurora engine, but they’ve done a lot of building on top of it in both cases, to different effect.

• Jonfon says:

That was it. I knew they both derived from one initial source. Both ended up as their own terrible, awful mess (which probably shows how bad Aurora really was).

• B.rake says:

Oops, thanks for the clarification! My own pantstop was equipped with “switchable graphics” from onboard to discrete gpu- adding an incredible 10 minutes to the already amazing 30 minutes of battery life – which switched off whenever I’d start Origins (and only Origins)… amazingly It still ran, albiet resembling stop motion abstract pixel art with nonsensical lighting effects.

36. CookPassBabtridge says:

I’m playing “waiting for DPD to stop lying about when they are going to deliver my new motherboard”, rather than last weekends “fuck you, motherboard manufacturers” which also grew tiresome very quickly. Before that i was playing “ASUS why have you screwed up so badly with X99 Deluxe, give me a refund” as well as “Amazon why are you incompetent and now being economical with the truth”.

Seriously guys, buy a computer. Don’t build one. Its a massive fecking hassle.

37. bleeters says:

A whole lot of things that aren’t Dragon Age Inquisition. Not that I don’t plan to, my copy’s been sat on a shelf for two or three days now. I just wanted to get a re-run of the first two done first, and given that a full playtrhough of Origins plus Awakening takes approximately fifteen billion years it’s going to have to wait.

38. Okami says:

I’ve been playing Inquisition, but I find myself exiting the game and switching to Binding of Isaac: Rebirth all the time. Not that Inquisition is a bad game, but it’s trying so hard to be EPIC and all it mostly manages is cheesy. The fact that all the epicness happens in badly edited cut scenes without any of my input doesn’t help much. Still, it’s a fun game and I’m sure I’ll put some more hours into it this weekend, but I really don’t see myself finishing the game.

BoI:Rebirth is brilliant of course.

EDIT: I’ll probably also throw in an hour or two of Curious Expedition. What an excellent little game!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Ugh, can we stop acting like Jennifer Hale doesn’t have a god awful annoying voice?

I will be trying to finish Crysis, if I can stay awake during this boring floaty section long enough. I will also getting a play through of Kane & Lynch Dogs Days done, which shouldn’t be too hard with its 4 hour play time (so probably closer to 6 hours for me.)

Bought Titanfall last night for $5. Had I known it was a Source Engine game I may have dove in sooner. I love Source FPS games. Hoping it might replace TF2 as my go-to online shooter. Managed to get Crusder as the free game on Origin too. I have been eyeing that thing up on GOG for months.

• ansionnach says:

The Crusaders are fun. Not sure which one I played (maybe both?). They’re very similar anyway but worth a blast. Think they use a modified version of the Ultima VIII engine. I really enjoyed that one, too, but you’ve got to look at it as a stand-alone game and not expect a “worthy” sequel to Ultima VII. A lot of people still give out about the jumping even though that was largely fixed by a subsequent patch.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I played No Remorse when I was a kid. I used to play with God mode and unlimited ammo. Then I would blow everything up in the level.

I also remember the principal from The Secret World of Alex Mack being your commander.

40. racccoon says:

Having not been able to play this yet till my i7 is in place.
    I find this crazy if its for real, Also lost for words were in this fantasy time set world has this evolved as its only a “thing” of today’s modern materialism.. seems a bit odd to place something like this into a game that really does not have such a thing for its time. ok cyber punk or today punk but not old school fantasy.
    Still I will soldier on & hope to play this game no matter..

• Rwlyra says:

racccoon – you mean the trans character? Read up on albanian sworn virgins. There were many groups like this throughout history so I don’t know why you see it as cyberpunkish.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Right, but people with horns, dragons and immaterial horrors from beyond the veil of this mundane reality are perfectly believable…

41. Josh W says:

I’ve been enjoying Pid, weirdly, in preparation for playing Smash Bros. The movement is really well done and familiar, some mix of doctor Mario and Ness. There’s also something about the feel of the game that reminds me of the subspace emissary co-op levels, just made into a physics based puzzle platformer.

Anyway, strange associations aside, it’s a lovely game.

42. Rwlyra says:

And in previous games Bioware put “awkward” drag queens and prostitutes. Why can transmale characters in games be serious, while “transfemale” exist only as a bad joke/crossdressers working at brothels? One-sided as fuck and everyone’s praising them for it :P

43. SpacemanSpliff says:

Bioware made the game they wanted to make.
    Now go play the game you want to play.
    It is really that simple.

44. Gibster says:

Distant Worlds: Universe! I’m finally finding an enjoyable way to play the worlds greatest and most complex 4x ever made. I’m playing as the Sluken and have everything on advisors that can be and then have fleet and troops off automation (all the other non-combat stuff on automation).

45. Joote says:

From a life long Bioware fan. Inquisition is one massive load of garbage. And that would be if it was created by some other developer, but with it being Bioware it’s doubly a massive load of garbage.

There is not one thing that is good about this game except the text that reads “The END”