Long Distance Caw: The Crow’s Eye Demo

Should have called that electrician

The title of this game made me think of 1) Captain Birdseye and 2) a ‘Crow’s Nest’, you know, that pirate lookout post thing on tall ships. So now what I am thinking of is a game where you play Captain Birdseye on a mission to go and get some tasty fish fingers and you are travelling the high seas in the Crow’s Nest to locate some fish fingers that some nasty fish finger bandits have dumped in the sea. In this scenario the fish fingers float, so you can scoop them up with a net and then put it in your treasure chest so your mum can heat them up later.

It turns out that The Crow’s Eye is actually a suspense-laden first-person ‘terror’ adventure with hints of crafting. So. I guess there’ll be no fish fingers?

You play a young man who has awakened in the long-abandoned Crowswood University, and has to craft his way to survival throughout an environment where it seems like not much electric light is available (perhaps some sort of Amish situation). You can use items to stun enemies or use them in ingenious ways to navigate your environment. It’s the first endeavour of 3D2 Entertainment, a Spanish indie studio born in Barcelona.

It’s very much the child of BioShock and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and the demo plays like it. The demo comes in Windows, Mac, and Linux flavours, while The Crow’s Eye is also on Steam Greenlight, and the Kickstarter can be found here if it sounds like your sort of adventurey-puzzley-horrory thing.

1. dethtoll says:

Everyone gripes about oversaturation of zombie games but how many times are we going to see Amnesia knockoffs before someone other than grumps like me says hey, enough is enough? How many times are we going to go through darkened rooms with only a personal light to guide our path, and hide in closets from this or that generic monster or enemy that we don’t have enough sense to pick up a tire iron or 2×4 or something to defend ourselves from?

I am so done with this particular stripe of horror game. I miss the days when Silent Hill was good and the big popular Resident Evil game was 2. And if I’m being honest, “survival horror” not only has about as much meaning as the term “immersive sim” (that is to say, none) but horror gaming itself has effectively disappeared into its own asshole, where it is currently lost and fumbling around in the dark with only a flashlight.

• LennyLeonardo says:

This asshole game you describe- does it have a Kickstarter page?

• GameCat says:

Count me in.

My biggest problem with Amnesia & Clones Co. is that there’s no such a thing as characters I would care for.
      Everyone are almost blank states. Take Machine for the Pigs. Why should I care for my children if I’ve never seen them in the game? Who they are? I don’t even remember their names and the name of my character avatar too.

Even Resident Evil with its rather laughable plots have at least slightly fleshed out characters with names and hints of personality. You can’t make good horror without good characters.

• Uncaring Cosmos says:

@GameCat – I don’t think that’s true. A good horror game is all about atmosphere. Characters, plot, and even game mechanics are secondary. The most important thing is establishing a certain mood or tone and allowing that to influence the player’s imagination. Some of the best horror fiction, for example, ignores characters altogether and instead features nameless protagonists.

• Monggerel says:

And some of the best horror is centered completely around a very specific protagonist. Silent Hill 2 would be nothing if it wasn’t an extended excoriation of James Sunderland’s damaged and regressive understanding of himself and his near-psychotic relationship with his own sexuality.

• Uncaring Cosmos says:

@Monggerel – I see what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s because of the character of James Sunderland that the horror of Silent Hill 2 exists. That might enhance the horror, but it doesn’t create it. Take away James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2, and you can still have a game like Silent Hill 1 – which was (especially for its time) a very powerful, scary game. However, keep James Sunderland and instead take away the atmosphere that the town, music, environment and monster design provided… and you no longer have a horror game.

Now, don’t get me wrong, interesting characters are brilliant and they can transform a good horror game into a great one. But they don’t make or break the element of horror. The atmosphere is key. So, I don’t think it’s accurate to say: “You can’t make good horror without good characters.”

• Razumen says:

I disagree, if you took out James and left the games as it was, monsters and everything, it would still be a great horror game (albeit the story would of course suffer tremendously). Horror doesn’t (and shouldn’t) need to be explained, in fact it’s better if it’s not.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

While I agree and find the old school survival horror stuff much better than the run and hide = gameplay stuff we see constantly, I think that the situation with zombie games that makes them more annoying is that the majority of them are still in early access and some of them such as “The War Z” (or whatever it’s called now), were just so utterly terrible and broken that there is no way it could be anything more than a blatant cash in on the popularity of the Day Z mod.
      Survival horror games, while they may be bandwagon jumping, haven’t reached the level of unplayably bad like some of the zombie stuff and at least they are being released as completed games and not as a half finished mess again designed to cash in on current trends.

2. caff says:

Gave the demo a go. Strong feel of Bioshock and Amnesia. Something felt odd with all the controls though, I felt a bit sick after playing for a few minutes. I’ll be interested to see how this turns out, but I don’t feel like throwing money at the project.

3. Vandelay says:

Damn, the comment system ate my hilarious post about the name, all because I included a YouTube link explaining the reference. It was the first comment and everything! I’ll try again and leave everyone who doesn’t get it confused. Here it goes:

The name reminds of eggs. Argh, I said eggs!

• DrollRemark says:

Your first post gets removed and yet you come back to make an obscure reference in the hopes that someone will get it. You really want the moon on a stick, don’t you?