The Bestest Best FPS Of 2014: Wolfenstein The New Order

‘FPS’ can mean an awful lot of things, but for this award we’re narrowing it down to ‘singleplayer, lots and lots of bullets, moving primarily forwards.’ Does that cover our backs sufficiently? Excellent. In which case, Wolfenstein: The New Order is our Bestest Best FPS of 2014.

Warning – some spoilers.

Alec: Here’s a true story: someone from 2082 with long-harboured regrets about the premature death of the Wolfentstein series got into a time machine, went back to around 2012 and interfered with the development of an inevitably uninspired sequel to a long-running shooter franchise.

They whispered in the right ears, bribed a few staff into joining or leaving, tweaked a few design documents when no-one was looking, and if it wasn’t for that ill-judged concentration camp scene they’d have gotten away with it too. They did enough, though: a 2014 where everyone still rolled their eyes in lamentation whenever the name ‘Wolfenstein’ was uttered never came to pass. Instead, thanks to this reckless tampering with history, we now close out the year thinking “yeah, that was alright, that was.”

If I’m honest, this gets Bestest Best FPS to some degree because there wasn’t quite enough else from Shooty Bang-Bang land which truly excelled, but there’s no denying that I had a great time with it. With tricks learned from Half-life and Bioshock rather than from Call of Duty and its many pretenders, it managed to keep up the spectacle without ever quite becoming empty about it.

A hop to an outlandish or otherwise epic new environment wasn’t merely superficial, but changed how you played: the space you were in needed to be controlled in a new way, and even then it might flex further depending on your chosen skills and playstyle. Flexibility within linearity is as much as a shooter holy grail as is full sandbox, and The New Order nailed that balance. The raw feedback loop of bullet spraying or knife-lobbing felt so joyously meaty too.

This is very much qualified praise, however. My eyebrows fired off my face at the aforementioned death camp/mech suit sequence, and I’m not sure that Secret Underwater Magical Jew City Full Of World-Controlling Technology was the wisest move either. There were always going to be tonal oddities in a b-movie about Nazi rule, but for the most part Wolf didn’t fall into the crassness I feared, or to the hollow chest-thumping of so many CoDs. It managed to find sadness even amidst the outright ludicrous, which is a hell of an achievement.

Adam:

Unless I’m missing a diamond in the nineties rough, Wolfenstein 3D was the best first-person shooter of 1992 (Ultima Underworld was the best first-person GAME though). Twenty two years later, Wolfenstein: The New Order is the best first-person shooter of 2014. William “B.J.” Blazkowicz’ long war has had its highs and lows, and MachineGames latest instalment is one of its finest hours.

Back in the day, Wolfenstein 3D was laying groundwork that others built on and if the big boisterous FPS games of today have any sense, they’ll be paying plenty of attention to The New Order’s reconstruction of the linear shooter. It’s no Half Life, pushing the limits of in-game storytelling for shooters everywhere – instead of creating trends, A New Order is pushing against them.

Can we still have huge, varied single player campaigns in big budget FPS games? Yes we can.

What about sympathetic characters in outlandish settings? Sure. Despite the robodogs, mystical weapons and moon Nazis, A New Order finds time to explore Blazkowicz’ war-weary response to the horrors he sees.

It is set during a war though, right? So it’s all gung-ho? Not really! There’s humanity, even if it is in somewhat cartoonish form. Do BJ’s eyes look gung-ho to you?

This is a game about shooting things though and the combat is excellent. There are standout sequences, including the moonbase and a battle on a shattered bridge, but the action is solid throughout. Enemies react to impact convincingly and the weapons are solid, while not quite as varied as in some of the greats.

Compared to the almost on-rails nature of recent Call of Duty games, Wolfenstein is the freedom that those military-industrial complexities simplifications claim to be fighting for. While there are some sections that don’t allow for a choice of approach, the decision to use stealth or full-on assault is often in the player’s hands.

Two decades after its first-person debut, Wolfenstein unexpectedly reminded us that other shooters could still learn a great deal by following in its footsteps.

Back to the complete bestest best PC games of 2014.

From this site

1. Lycan says:

Well, Blimey! Who’da thunk?

Keymonk says:

I honeslty did not see it coming.

• Tacroy says:

To be fair, what was the competition exactly? One of the CODs? BF 4? Titanfall?

The only FPS I can think of that wasn’t based around multiplayer was Far Cry 4, and that was basically Far Cry 3 again. It’d also fit better under “Best Being Pleasantly Lost”, I think.

• BreadBitten says:

I’m quite enjoying Titanfall… :(

• DeVadder says:

Titanfall was more than solid as far as the actual game is concerned.
          It is addmitably quite limited in scope and all the stuff around it was less than stellar. Still, if there was a “Bestest spectacular multiplayer shooter.” i would certainly put my money on Titanfall.

2. ribby says:

Noticed a couple of spelling errors-

as is full sandox, and The New Order nailed tat balance

3. golem09 says:

I’m so pissed about the german version…

I could take the censoring, switched artwork or whatever, I’m fine with all that.
    But for gods sake, I’m not even allowed to play the game with the english voiceovers? Seriously?
    Kept me from buying the game on a few occasions in the last week.

• der_Zens0r says:

Seriously? We´re not allowed to play in english? I never tried Wolfenstein because I refuse to kill Nazis with changed symbols… I really don´t understand why they made a german version. Every little TV comedy is allowed to use swastikas … because it´s art…

• Anthile says:

Yeah, I didn’t buy it either because of that. What a shame.

• Zallgrin says:

If Wolfenstein wasn’t any less of a great FPS, if it had even a bit less humanity and a bit worse storytelling – I wouldn’t have bought it. But it is fantastic and even the German synchro could not ruin it for me. Biggest problem is is that the lips are always out of sync and the voices slightly stiff, but… it’s serviceable. It’s not the worst VA seen and after some time one stops noticing it.

Still, I’m rather bitter about the lack of English synchro. =(

• c-Row says:

Same here. I was tempted to pick it up during the Thanksgiving sale, but I passed.

I could have tolerated them releasing a special version for Germany but why did they even region-lock foreign versions in the first place? I was in Pittsburgh around the time it got released and there would have been no law against me picking up a US version to play back home. Adding insult to injury, console versions play just fine…

• Gap Gen says:

Can they stop you buying it on Amazon UK, or is the issue that it won’t even run if it thinks your Steam account is in Germany? I *suppose* you could register with a new Swiss Steam account or something, but yeah, faff.

• InnerPartisan says:

The latter. Buying games from outside Germany *used* to be a viable option (especially considering that it’s absolutely trivial for Germans to pick up games from foreign shops, what with so many Borders, some of them to other German-speaking countries *without* any censorship for video games and not very high shipping costs to Germany).
          But with the proliferation of Steam, that (easy) option is gone for good. It’s not *that* difficult to use a VPN and register the game with an (for example) American IP, though – because that’s usually the only time Steam checks your location.

EDIT: Uh, or so I’ve heard. :D

• physicalist says:

Apparently, TNO has some kind of additional protection that also checks the location if you start the game.
            Bethesda really overdid it with its “compliance” to German law.

• swiftshlock says:

The New order uses the (seldomly used) -prohibitrunincountries Steam flag and effectively prevents you from even *starting* it with a German IP (the game is simply listed as “uninstalled” in my Steam library, although all the files are still present). Using a VPN connection helps as it always does, but having to jump through yet another hoop just to play a game gets rather annoying.

• mrwonko says:

Yeah, and the bloody region lock means if I want to play it in English (and I totally do) I’ll have to play it on PS3. *shudder* Or wait until I’ve left Germany.

• InnerPartisan says:

Well, full disclosure: I bought the German version, never even installed that, and acquired the US original through, ahem, other means. I can’t say that I had any moral qualms about that.

oggnogg says:

I got around that by buying a key at cjs-cdkeys.com. Then close Steam, start VPN client, login to Steam and apply the key. Note that you can only download and play the game if Steam was started with VPN enabled.

• zlate42 says:

I’m from Austria and I also get heckled by Steam. Why do we have to suffer because our neighbour’s stupid laws. Didn’t buy and acquired it by other means and don’t feel bad about it.

4. markside says:

How about Bestest/Worstest Foley Artists? Seriously, that cutscene near the end almost saw a recurrence of my dinner.

5. Volcanu says:

Here, here! Hope it did well enough that we get to see another FPS from Machine Games

6. KeeperKrux says:

I guess I’m the only one who thought it was just okay? Trying to replay Wolf is incredibly tedious. The terrible story is everywhere! There are so many sections in Wolfenstein where you only have the illusion of choice. You think you can alternate between shooting and sneaking but that’s not really true for large chunks of the game. Metro manages to strike a balance which provides enough situations to experiment with both playstyles.

I’m also not too sure how I feel about the perk system. Unlocking new skills automatically through play is awesome, but you can reload checkpoints, and since your experience carries over whether you die or reload, you can unlock around 85% of the skills by the end of chapter 3. Some will love that you can do that, but for me, its kind of broken.

The forgettable homebase interludes are a torture. I hate how static TNO’s world is., the slow movement speed, the wimpy sounding weapons, and the underbaked setting. Then there’s the transitions between gameplay & cutscenes, how inconsistent the presentation and level of interaction is presented throughout the game. BJ can jump over objects but only when the game wants him to. In some cases even a medium sized box is an impenetrable obstacle. Wolf breaks new ground for horrible melee AI movement, reactions and pathfinding.

Ugh, the story (I wanted to skip just about every scene – LOL at the Tarantino comparisons). I can’t believe this is the same team that made me care about Riddick and Jackie. I honestly felt nothing for the characters. It’s not that I hated them. They simply meant nothing to me. Like the Wyatt or Fergus decision. I mean, I don’t know those guys! Maybe BJ does but I don’t. I don’t care which one of them dies. Just because it’s gruesome it doesn’t mean I’ll feel connected to those people. I don’t feel like any of the characters were really fleshed out in the game world itself.

This problem is also true for antagonists. We see Deathshead in the first level and then… in the last. He has no screen time whatsoever, no interactions during the events of the game. Talk about terrible pacing.

To be fair, the ‘cinematic’ approach doesn’t always work for me at all in first-person shooters. I still think the storytelling in TNO is really poor. It probably works for people who can view cinematics as an extension of the game but I’m not one of them.

It was a poor year for shooters in general, especially compared to last year (Shadow Warrior, Last Light, Gunslinger). I probably had the most with Titanfall, as moving through the world felt fast and fluid. The slow movement speed of Wolf is quite a turn-off for me.

• Holysheep says:

Disregard actual excellents FPS like insurgency. You know, the ones that are good FPSes, not bunches of cutscenes, with slow gameplay to adapt controllers.

Oh, I didn’t want to reply to this post. I thought F5ing would make me post a reply to the article by default.

• wengart says:

I would hardly call Insurgency “excellent”. Its a schizophrenic mix of Red Orchestra and Counter-Strike that does neither very well.

• Synesthesia says:

Oh, i think it’s quite good. The gunplay is excellent, and playing like cs will get you nowhere fast. Squad tactics actually work wonders, and the coop module is not shabby at all.

• Boosh says:

I also thought it was just ‘ok’, and agree with most of what you’ve said. I was loving it up to the Fergus/Wyat decision point, and briefly that, until I realised that was about as innovative as it got and the remainder was a ponderous on rails typical shooter journey. I struggled to maintain interest towards the end, and the mini-hub kind of sections with the ‘go fetch’ tasks were tedious.
      Lavishly produced though, but my takeaway from this game is perhaps I’ve outgrown this genre.

• malkav11 says:

You’re probably the only one, yes. But regardless, it’s certainly far better than Yet Another Wolfenstein Game had any right to be, particularly after the rather naff last couple even if you don’t like the story and worldbuilding. And I really, really do.

7. djbriandamage says:

I’m making my way through this game and am enjoying it a lot. It’s got perhaps the best graphics in any game I’ve ever played, the action and weapons are fun, and although the story is ridiculous and vastly exaggerated it’s still well told with some clever dialogue. It’s way exceeded my meagre expectations.

8. udat says:

I enjoyed this game more than I expected to. After essentially giving up on fps games after modern warfare 2, I was intrigued by this after the RPS review. I picked it up in a steam sale and I am glad I did. It was fun, funny (ish) and had some humanity. Would play more like this.

9. montorsi says:

Most surprising thing for me is the game looks great and isn’t a dog. It is actually surprisingly well-optimized. I thought we quit doing that a few years back.

But yeah, damn, I need to find time to play this more. Busy lately, but it’s definitely on my to-do list.

10. Artificial says:

It’s a good game, and I enjoyed playing through it, but the fact that this was such an obvious choice is very indicative of the FPS genre right now, and perhaps the wider gaming market. It just didn’t blow me away in any manner, and there’s nothing particularly memorable about it.

• captain nemo says:

It was satisfying like pop-corn; nice at the time, but completely forgettable later on.
      Graphics were good, but the dialogue made you wince.

Now un-installed

• Turkey says:

Well, I think we’re getting even closer to the point where only a handful of publishers can afford to make these things. Especially with the new consoles upping the production value requirements.

• Chrysomore says:

The AAA boys certainly didn’t have much to say for themselves, but Tower of Guns did a nice mix of FPS, rogue-a-blugga, and bullet-hell shooter, and Shadow Warrior turned out pretty great, so there’s that. Still not much to go on though, the clever kids were too busy playing with other genres this year.

11. Ham Solo says:

Honestly, I don’t care about them changing swastikas to black crosses in german game versions.
    What I DO care about, however, is the disgusting habit of allowing only sub-par german dubbed versions of the games. And that is why I will never buy this game, good as it might be, german dubs are ALWAYS horrible and immersion-breaking.

• El Mariachi says:

How does it break immersion to have Nazis speak German?

• Anthile says:

Perhaps they’re Nazis from the Ländle.

• Distec says:

If it’s a sub-par dub?

• Eggman says:

Same reason English dubs of anime with anglo characters can be immersion-breaking. The acting is so horrible you end up bashing your head into the fourth wall.

• golem09 says:

I wouldn’t say it’s immersion breaking, but I want to play/watch/read stuff in the original version, because that’s the one the artists actually made.

12. Jahooba says:

It was good, but in terms of gameplay there wasn’t all that much gunplay, which is the entire point. I’m on hour 40 of Far Cry 4 (only half-way through the story) and I must have killed 8,000 dudes and countless wild animals.

Wolfenstein is only a better game if you’re a big Tarantino fan. Tarantino movies do not impress me.

• vecordae says:

It’s entirely possible that FC4 is on the list in another category.

Besides, FC4 isn’t an FPS. It’s a first-person open world sandbox elephant warrior simulator (FPOWSBEWS).

• phanatic62 says:

“‘FPS’ can mean an awful lot of things, but for this award we’re narrowing it down to ‘singleplayer, lots and lots of bullets, moving primarily forwards.’”

I think the “moving primarily forwards” qualification disqualifies Far Cry 4 due to its open world nature. I could be wrong, but that’s how I would interpret it.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I think the mechanics of Wolfenstein are fun enough that it’s worth playing, even for people who don’t like the story. I mostly enjoyed the story bits, disjointed as they were, and I liked a lot of the characters as well. You’re correct with the Tarantino comparison as well. The devs were clearly fans of Inglourious Basterds and all the bizarre tonal things that movie was doing, so anyone who hated that movie is going to hate this game. I liked the movie, so I had no issues.

13. tangoliber says:

My favorite FPS of the year in order:
    1) Ziggurat, 2) Fancy Skulls, 3) Titanfall, 4) Tower of Guns, 5) Lovely Planet, 6) Heavy Bullets, 7) Wolf New Order

14. jezcentral says:

Yes, not the greatest year for FPSes, but, by Jingo, this was the most fun I had this year shooting things. (I did think this might get picked instead of Far Cry 4 when I saw there was a Best Being Pleasantly Lost prize, or maybe the Best Exploration, which seems to fit better with how RPS enjoyed it).

15. Blackcompany says:

Must have been a really bad year for shooters. Linear levels, annoying bosses. Forced stealth sections full of doors you couldn’t open, paths you couldn’t choose, that lead you right by every guard and dog in the place. Unlockable skills tied to doing things in game even worse than the tripe Ubi shooters hide their skills behind.

I mean, visually the game is stunning. And its probably a decent if not really innovative shooter if you can overlook all its faults. But RAGE is more innovative, the world more interesting, the gadgets more entertaining and the game just more fun to play. Published by the same group, Wolfenstein feels like backsliding. Like a regression.

Must have been a bad year for shooters. Frankly, though, I would probably pick Far Cry 4 over this. For lack of better options.

16. Sardonic says:

I don’t see what Alec is so aghast about, I thought the concentration camp levels were tastefully done, and the Daa’t Yehud stuff was great as well. I hope direly for a sequel.

I mean overall, this wasn’t a game that seemed very problematic at all to me.

• malkav11 says:

I’m with you on this. I thought the camp was a very well done level that fit perfectly in what New Order is doing, and while the Da’at Yehud was…not a plot element I was expecting, I do think the idea is neat and well handled.

• Guvornator says:

Well, as a half Jewish person I thought it was a bit iffy. The long standing myth amongst both racists and conspiracy theorists* is the Jewish people are Secretly Up To Something, usually World Domination. To say they are, but it’s ok because it’s good feels a little clumsy. I don’t think it’s anything more than that, not least because the game is pretty Jewish friendly (it’s pretty much the only action series I can think of where the hero is Jewish), but the fact it’s tying into established myths about the Jewish people isn’t great.

*and also racist conspiracy theorists, natch

• Razumen says:

Hmm, I never really connected the Da’at Yehud secret society to be mainly Judaistic in nature, since the game never explicitly connected the two (besides through the use of Hebrew I guess). The way the game described them was just as highly religious scientists and I figured anyone could be a member if they were smart enough and shared most of he same ideals.

17. MuscleHorse says:

This was unexpectedly wonderful, and i’m just about finishing a 2nd play through on Uber mode. Genuinely moving, with excellent music – and of course the actual gunplay is great.

18. welverin says:

One of the Bestest games of the Year for me.

19. gibb3h says:

The soundtrack is also rather fantastic.

20. plugmonkey says:

Ah, good. Something I’ve already played. That’s like getting a bye.

21. PopeRatzo says:

Loved this game. A little bit surprised RPS would honor it, but great.

I hope the sequel is Blazkowicz liberating the Palestinians in Gaza with the help of honorable Da’at Yehud.

• Razumen says:

There’s so much wrong with your suggestion I don’t even know where to start…

• big boy barry says:

liberating Palestinians!!!!, from who exactly??. the stone age murdering, terrorist thieves who run the country or saving them from themselves for voting in a terrorist Islamic government.

• Volcanu says:

From the stone age murdering, former terrorist Israeli state and the IDF who routinely bomb schools, hospitals and houses and shoot little children in the head without sanction. The same state that has forced an innocent people from their lands and into a ghetto, forcing them to live with no hope and no prospects in one of the most densely populated tracts of land on the planet.

As for the terrorist government point , yes Hamas are an utterly loathsome, deplorable group. But let’s not forget that the state of Israel has awarded various honours and ‘ribbons’ e.g. the Lehi Ribbon to members of the various terrorist groups who perpetrated much the same atrocities against civilians as Hamas, to further their goal of establishing a Jewish state.

EDIT: The situation in Palestine/Israel is a true tragedy, and my fervent hope is that one day a viable two state solution will be achieved and Muslims and Jews can live in harmony as they once did (as faint a hope as that may be).

But to be clear, I find your inference that the Palestinian people somehow ‘deserve’ their current situation to be deeply unpleasant and disturbing.

• Rakombo says:

Why the fuck do you need to liberate Gaza from the IDF? Shouldn’t you liberate them from Hamas first? If the latter would happen the IDF and Israel would probably fuck off as well.

I’m quite sure the schools they are bombing contain enemy combatants and ordnance and I never read of a child being shot in the head,can you provide a source?

I think the voting was,if you can even call it that was probably rigged but big boy seems to believe it was. Let me try and make a more agreeable statement: Fuck Hamas and the Palestinian people that support them. I think none should feel pity for both of those groups.

• big boy barry says:

Amen sir. It really grinds my gears when people support terrorist organisations over the only liberal democracy in the middle east.Why the hell should the world belong to the Muslims.Jews were there for a thousand years before Islam was even invented. My Mrs could go to Israel and no one would look at her twice. If she went to Palestine she would be kidnapped, gang raped and murdered within an hour. Fuck Hamas and the Barbarians who continue to support them.
            I’m deeply atheist but Israel gives so much to forwarding the development of the human race with science and learning, while Palestinians want us to live by 7th century desert culture and will murder anyone who disagrees with them.

• Volcanu says:

If you never read about a child being shot in the head then it’s because you clearly havent read enough newspaper articles about Gaza over the years. You want sources:

link to telegraph.co.uk

link to theguardian.com

link to haaretz.com

There’s 3 to get you started. If you still need convincing then how about the IDF soldier who riddled an unarmed and terrified 13 year girl dead with a full magazine and declared on radio that even 3 year olds were to be shot dead.

link to theguardian.com

As for the point about shelling schools, hospitals and UN shelters packed with civilians (many of them children), something the UN secretary general has utterly condemned – no, the UN dont allow Hamas to store weapons in their shelters and operate out of them. I’m sure Hamas do deliberately launch mortar attacks from areas near these shelters, a cynical and despicable practice, but is bombarding the area wholesale a proportionate response? There is nowhere in Gaza for civilians to go. If you tell them to leave their homes and go to shelters and then proceed to shell the very same shelters, how is their fault? Since 2005, 168 Israelis (mostly IDF) have sadly died in the conflict. But for every Israeli who has died 23 Palestinians have been killed (vast majority civilians, not militants) – thats over 3,800 dead. That speaks clearly to the fact that Israel does not do enough to minimise ‘collateral damage’.

To big boy barry – who are these people who support a “terrorist organization over the only liberal democracy in the Middle East?” I assume you aren’t referring to me as I have clearly stated that Hamas are a nasty, vile group in my previous post. But way to deploy the logic of George W Bush of “you’re either with us or against us”.

To be clear, there isn’t a binary choice between supporting the actions of the state of Israel OR Hamas. It’s perfectly possible to condemn the actions of both. So stop offering up lazy false choices.

As for “why should the world belong to the Muslims”. Don’t be so silly and melodramatic. As for the question of Palestine, well it’s been a majority Muslim place for the best part of 1,300 years -over 5 times longer than the USA has even existed. Whilst a small Jewish community has persisted there for a very long time, the vast majority of Israelis emigrated post 1882, and most of those after 1948.

I’m led to believe a lot of Americans love their country, and y’know consider it to be their land maybe even pointing to how there great, great grandaddy settled in such a place. By your logic if Mexicans decided to annexe Texas and the Cherokee, Apache, Blackfeet evicted all Americans not of native american decent from their old lands, that would be only too fair.

22. samsharp99 says:

I finished my first playthrough (i.e. not completed both sides) last night and thought it was great. Like others have said it was very OTT and exaggerated but they managed to combine that with some more thought provoking and comedy moments to offset it.

The gameplay was great and probably some of the best I’ve played this year and it was difficult enough that I had to turn the difficulty down in places (playing on hard difficulty) because it was such a challenge. When I found a little secret passageway so you could sneak behind the enemy it felt great but then in other similar situations I just went in guns blazing – it didn’t feel like the sneaking around was forced in the slightest.

Also felt the pacing was pretty good, going back to the hideout after each mission broke up the endless shootification of things and they managed to throw in a few surprises/curveballs in there as well!

23. Rakombo says:

I already thought this year sucked for pc gaming but I didn’t realize PC shooters had it this bad. I thought the game sucked. Unskipabale cutscenes, below average level design, stupid story(only a problem because of the unskipabale cutscenes),some of the worst stealth and rpg elements I’ve ever seen in this type of hybrid shooters, all of that stupid shit and the devs still have the audacity to say that it has some old school elements just because it has medpacks.And the fucking dual wielding that was really blown out of proportion. It’s cool sure but who the fuck cares, it barely does anything if you play on the harder difficulties.You die so fucking fast you have to play it like cod.

Honestly I think this pos got the praise that it did just because the aaa shooter market is so stale,if you aren’t trying to be like cod you are pretty good before the game even starts.

One of my favorite games this year was Ziggurat. It is by far the best roguelike fps on the market,actually that’s not really saying much. It’s a good game,the first roguelike shooter where the shooting is actually fun.

24. dfuse says:

I just finished this, didn’t know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. One of the best shooters I have played ever (I did stop playing shooters after MOHAA, only The Darkness 2).
    I see a lot of comments here that the story was over the top, well, that is kinda the point of wolfenstein..
    There is an awesome interview btw with the guys from Machine Games about Wolfenstein: link to deadendthrills.com

25. activity_coordinator says:

I would love to read an RPS article about Wrack now that it’s been released. I haven’t played it, so I’m not saying it should be RPSBESTFPS but it seems pretty rad in the same way Wolfenstein was.

26. JustAchaP says:

Ya know, it was good to play a game where the guns felt great.

27. skyfire322 says:

I thoroughly enjoyed playing this. Although the ending was a wee predictable, I thought everything else made up for it. Not a perfect game, but it definitely redeemed the series!

28. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Playing it right now, and while the gameplay is definitely second to none, the amount of time you have to spend NOT shooting things in the face is high, and every minute of it is excruciating because Machine Games has no concept of mood, subtlety or taste.
    I don’t even know what Alec means by “that” camp scene, because there was nothing in the camp that even stands out. To me, this whole game is “that” scene. Like, do those guys really think you have to try that hard just to make the audience miffed at goddamn nazis? They even took the effort to make all major nazis queer or facially deformed or both.
    And how much do you have to rub those lame protagonists in our face trying to get the audience attached. I can’t wait till they all inevitably croak in hilariously overdramatic fashions.

29. Stevostin says:

Also: probably the best villain(s), both in character, introduction to the player and in some case, chain of event – possibly ever. I never thought I’d find a villain scary especially in a wolfenstein game, but even with decades of “fantasy Nazis” in movies and games I found Totenkopf utterly terrifying, especially (spoiler). Und die Fraulein… Mein Gott.

It’s also worth noting what’s strangely similar in nazi’s world to our. In a way I find this kind of low key politic sub text in game more interesting than the IMHO dishonnest gameplay of Paper Please.

All in all what I’d really like to have now is a fallout-like RPG in W NO’s world.