Game Dad: Resident Evil Rev 2 Barrying Up February

Thanks, game dad!

It’s not easy, being a game dad – a gruff, burly, bearded figure whose parenting technique is heavy on slitting throats, kicking teeth in, shooting faces, and shouting. I can’t imagine how this works with mundanities like homework, chores, and teenage rebellion, but it seems to work out all right in apocalyptic scenarios. When your daughter/daughter figure is in trouble, a game dad’s gotta do what a game dad’s gotta do. Resident Evil comic relief character Barry Burton has been a dad all along, but a new Resident Evil Revelations 2 trailer shows he’s promoted to the gritty role of game dad. This also brings word of release dates for the episodic game’s chapters.

Yes, Bazza’s back in Rev 2, searching for both his real daughter and helping a newfound daughter figure. Given that his daughter figure has psychic powers and his actual daughter’s not only on a monster island but gone a bit punky too, his double dad duty is sure to be a headache! The game will be split between bits with Claire Redfield and Moira Burton doing their own thing, and Barry doing his game dad routine with new character Natalia Korda.

The game dad is a funny creature. Games like Telltale’s The Walking Dead and PlayStation exclusive The Last of Us have shown games can tap into the vulnerability of children and the responsibilities of parenthood for unexpected emotions in surprising places, and others are keen to follow their lead. The problem is, without tenderness and subtlety – something many games have proven is awfully tricky – your father character becomes just a game dad, a shouty armed beard who’s less relatable than an 8-foot space marine. Call me a horrible sceptic, but I’m not sure Resident Evil can pull it off.

Anywho, Capcom also announced the release timetable for Revelations 2. The first episode will arrive on February 18th, 2015, then the other four will follow at weekly intervals. They’ll cost £4.99 each or come as a ‘Complete Season’ with two extra spin-off episodes for £19.99.

1. amateurviking says:

BARRY BURTON

2. Eight Rooks says:

If the game actually looks like that then the visuals might be a step up from Revelations, at least, but God, that voiceover. It’s giving me PTSD. Capcom, if anyone actually thinks the script, acting etc. from the original games were worth preserving, they’re bad people who should feel bad. Stop it. Revelations was mediocre enough as it was without dialogue like… some godawful Z-list giallo from 1972 or something.

• vorador says:

It’s called, “going back to the roots”.

RE1 live acting and dubbing was beyond awful.

• welverin says:

The original game was a 3ds exclusive that got ported to consoles and PC, so the sequel being made for them to start should result in a better looking game.

3. lowprices says:

There go my hopes for a game in which Barry makes Dad Jokes at everything that happens. Sadface.

4. FreeTom says:

Ladies, gentlemen, Barry-Burtons…

5. Kefren says:

Bah, from the quickly-scanned title I thought it was a revisited (updated) version of Resident Evil 2. “STARS!” (Bazooka to face).

6. LennyLeonardo says:

Didn’t Barry die in RE1, or am I remembering wrong?

• lowprices says:

I think you could save him on a Jill playthrough. If I remember correctly, the “canon” ending isn’t actually possible to get in the game, since it involves Chris, Jill, Rebecca and Barry surviving. It has been a while since I played it though, so I might be wrong.

• felisc says:

Nope, he didn’t. You thought he threw that rope down the hole and flew away, but nope, good ol reliable Barry. … I’m sorry, I like this game quite a bit.

• Jalan says:

He dies in one of the films (because who needs an iconic character when you’ve got Skeletor… I mean, Milla Jovovich running around killing things – right?) stylishly (I guess) but dies all the same.

In the games he’s survived, to the point where he helped start up that wacky tactical unit Chris is part of in RE 5 (BSAA or MSAA or 3xAA or *insert other anti-aliasing acronym here*).

7. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I read the second paragraph in the voice of a too joyful narrator for a children’s family comedy trailer. It was glorious.