Hearthstone: Goblins Vs. Gnomes Clanking Out Next Week

Chums.

That’s a nice-looking Hearthstone deck you’ve got there. What’s that, a wolf, yeah? Cool, cool. And some dogs? A load of forest friends hanging out? Great, great, lovely. Here’s a thought: why not replace them with bombs and robots? Those are cool. All the cool kids do robots now.

The free-to-play card game’s technowizarding expansion Goblins vs. Gnomes will launch next week, Blizzard have announced. I hope you’ve been saving your dust to brew up new cards, chums.

Hearthstone’s first expansion (they technically call Curse of Naxxramas an “adventure”) will launch on December 8th in the Americas then on the 9th in Europe and Asia. Goblins vs. Gnomes adds over 120 new cards based on the rival schools of tinkering, as well as generally rounding out the pool. As gnome and goblin tech often is in the world of Warcraft, a fair few have unpredictable random effects. Blizzard have dumped images of the cards into this gallery if you fancy a look.

Hearthstoners will be able to win cards from the expansion as usual, craft them, or buy them.

Blizzard are also rebalancing a few cards after seeing what the last expansion did to the game, they said yesterday. A future patch will increase the casting costs of Soulfire, Flare, and Gadgetzan Auctioneer by one. Blizzard explain their reasoning on each in the forum post, but it boils down to “’cause they were too powerful.”

1. Jorum says:

Soulfire going from 0 to 1 is a massive change to point where I’m mildly shocked.

2. GHudston says:

Is anyone else taken aback by the fact that Blizzard announced this at Blizzcon, said “it’s coming out next month!” and it actually is? And EARLY in the month, too!

More game releases like this, please. It’ll be nice to play something while the hype is still fresh!

3. Gothnak says:

I’m a little sad with all the furore about RNG mechanics that the release date isn’t something like 8 + Random (1-7)th of December.

4. Arathain says:

I almost have enough dust to craft a legendary. I likely will have by release. But my current collection has some huge holes in it- no Ragnaros, no Ysera, no Thalnos, that sort of thing. So should I fill in a gap I currently have, or save for something big and shiny and new? Sneed’s Old Shredder is looking mighty tempting for my fun Shaman deathrattle deck.

• Gothnak says:

I think Ragnaros is the only Legendary i crafted, he does go in pretty much every deck i play, and as long as you have a decent amount of creature removal that first turn 8 damage is usually brutal.

If you have a fave deck though, i’d suggest going for a new card to add to the specifics. You’ll likely have that card before a lot of people are used to playing against it.

• Arathain says:

I think I have convinced myself thus: I lack quite a lot of Legendary cards. Sneed’s Old Shredder is all the Legendary cards. Therefore that is by far the most efficient way to spend my dust. Particularly in the deck I’m running, that card should be 2+ other Legends every time it’s played. Reliability be damned.

• Gothnak says:

I also used to lack all the Legendary cards, so i assumed my opponent would have them and therefore built a Priest deck to steal them or copy all off them. One game i had 4 x the 5/5 that steals an opponent’s creature when she dies, that was a fun game.

It was how i used to well at MTG, fill a deck full of steal spells and wait for my opponent to play something expensive.

• AngoraFish says:

I’m in a similar situation, but with the release of this expansion caved in and filled some essential gaps. I figured that most spare gold would be going to the new expansion cards rather than the basic set for at least the next couple of months, so my likelihood of filling any remaining gaps from a random pack are now virtually zero.

5. Cockie says:

I really look forward to this coming out on Android (yes I know, heresy and all that, but my desktop doesn’t fit in my backpack)