F2P Spin-Off Total War Battles: Kingdom Announced

Fighting people.

The final round popped out as Philippa racked her Beretta M9’s slide. Clack-click ti-ting. That was it. That was them. Over. She spat blood and knew the warm wailing sirens wouldn’t arrive in time. She hauled herself to the keyboard and started to type, each letter booming like so many gunshots leading to this moment. “Warr! Huah! Yeah,” she wrote. “What is she good for?” Heh. Good…

I am grateful to The Creative Assembly for continuing to make big Total War announcements so I can continue practising my Pipfic. This time they’ve announced Total War Battles: Kingdom, a free-to-play take on battles and armies and metal hats for PC and pocket telephones.

It’s free-to-play doodad split between persistent city-building, as I understand F2P mobile-y games will have, and lane-based battles, as I also hear are popular. It’s the follow-up to 2012’s Total War Battles: Shogun, made by the same team. Where that was singleplayer-focused, Kingdom is made for online warring, complete with cross-platform play.

The Creative Assembly say it won’t be “pay to win”, as all units, equipment, bonuses for battles can be earned by playing regularly. Which sounds like “pay to not feel bored and inadequate and frustrated.” Look, you can read an FAQ to find out about all the ins and outs.

You can apply for closed beta testing on PC this-a-way, if you fancy. That’ll begin “early next year” and lead into an open beta.

From this site

1. Lacessit says:

I demand a tag for ‘Pipfic’

I also simply demand more Pipfic.

2. scumblr says:

Wow, it looks like they’ve decided they’re through implying rock-paper-scissors.

3. Zenicetus says:

I predict the most popular item in the “advance your gameplay” storefront will be torches to burn down your enemy’s gates.

No CA, we haven’t forgotten, and it’s too soon to forgive.

• SlimShanks says:

I preferred the launch of Shogun 2, where torches would just bounce off of gates without doing anything.
      That said, as with most people who complain about Total War games, I’m off to go play it right now.

• Zenicetus says:

I know, we’re a shameless bunch.

In this case, I’m safe because I only need a few lightweight games on my iPad anyway, and this isn’t the type of game I’d want to play as anything but a full-scale title on the PC.

4. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I hope the opening paragraph is from an alternate universe Philippa that doesn’t write for RPS. The only war-themed memes for RPS writers are “WARFACE”, “War… war has changed” and “In the grim darkness etc.” Otherwise you’re straying from known RPS canon, and I will lodge a formal complaint.

5. Coops07 says:

Haven’t you ever wanted a Total War game with all of the ‘back-story’ but scaled down to a point where any platform can run it?
    What? You don’t? Blasphemy…