Seasonal Lies: GOG Launch “Winter” Sale

What a frosty DECEMBER scene! Yes, AUTUMN is often snowy in places.

Now look here, GOG. I like what you do in the gameosphere, what with getting the old retro re-release ball rolling and that DRM-free jazz you’ve got going on and all, but let’s not get carried away. You’ve gone too far and I won’t let you do this. Yes, I’m calling you out: it’s not winter round here until December 21, and you don’t get to decide that it is. I don’t care if you do have 800-odd games on sale and flash sales and free games, you can’t launch a “BIG Winter Sale“. Grow up.

The BIG Late Autumn Sale includes almost 800 games and expansions and bits of DLC. Before diving into that huge list, though, you might want to hit the front page to grab a free copy of Age of Wonders then browse the daily deals and flash sales.

The sale will run until December 15th at 1:59pm, with oodles of temporary big discounts between now and then. It’s kicking off with 48 hours of flash sales – with 30 running at any time – and mercy me I do not have the patience to check on in that. Folks with the time might pick up a nice bargain, though.

Casting a quick eye over the flash deals with longer durations (so some of y’all might actually get to buy them), for the next three hours you can have the pleasant Vanishing of Ethan Carter for £8.99 (with £1.30 in store credit thrown in too), or Far Cry 2 is £1.59 (and still the best in the series), and all three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are £7.97 when even one provides oodles of miserable fun.

Those discounts are all fleeting, though. But then, isn’t everything? This is autumn, when the last few leaves are almost – but not quite – gone.

1. TehK says:

it’s below 0° Celsius here in Germany. I call that “winter”.

Wisq says:

Yeah, honestly, the actual season change dates mean very little these days if you’re not sitting near the equator. We had our first snow over a month ago, it’s -16ºC outside, and there’ll be snow on the ground until sometime in April or even May, long after “spring” has officially started.

• TehK says:

Come to think of it… I actually demand winter sales as a recompensation for my suffering!

• eggy toast says:

same its been 0c for at least a week, its about as wintery as it gets here

also st. nickelous day is this Saturday so

2. DrollRemark says:

All I know is the scarf, hat and gloves I wore this morning make it totally winter, so there.

3. Razumen says:

The -19˚C (and worse) weather and piles of snow outside beg to differ on your definition of when “winter” starts, sir.

4. Lanfranc says:

Pfff. You Britishpeople and your silly ideas. Winter begins at Martinmas, that’s just a fact. :-|

• jezcentral says:

Don’t blame us. Winter starts in December, therefore it is winter now. I have no idea where this 21st came from. To Wikipedia!

EDIT: Yup, in the northern hemisphere, winter is December, January and February (there is some gubbins about the solstice for US and Canada and SOMETIMES Britain, but this is not the British way). Gog, you may continue.

EDIT EDIT: Unless Alice is a Yank! (Or Canuck).

• Cockie says:

Actually… (astronomy inbound, this is your last chance to run)
        You have “meteorological winter” which starts Dec 1 and ends Feb 28/29, and you have “astronomical winter” which starts on the winter solstice (around 21-22 Dec, varies from year to year) and ends on the vernal equinox (around 20 March, also varies).

• PeopleLikeFrank says:

Be very suspicious of any Canadian who doesn’t tell you that winter starts in mid-November and ends in April (maybe, if you’re lucky). Incorrect people can go on about the solstice all they like.

• FriendlyFire says:

I still remember that one year we thought winter might’ve ended in mid-March. We even hit the high 10s for a few days.

We got a 30cm snowstorm in early April.

• Razumen says:

Unfortunately, sometimes it even “starts” earlier than that… :'(

• Lanfranc says:

I stand corrected.

• Sleepymatt says:

In Scotland, Summer is usually one nice week in May. The rest of the year is classed as Not-quite-winter, Winter or Is-it-still-winter?….

5. DrollRemark says:

Are ridiculous flash sales like these just the way GOG reaps from its own “whales”? I mean, for the average user who’s unlikely to check the site more than a couple of times a day, these hourly discounts are silly – I don’t have the time or inclination to sit obsessively checking prices, but then I’m not particularly bothered either.

It just seems to me like they’re made for people who must sit there, buying up stuff that appears each hour, keeping the balance ticking over nicely.

Wisq says:

I get the feeling that GOG’s catalogue is much more amenable to sales, being old games that aren’t going to pull in a lot of money anyway, and so they can afford to be running sales a lot more of the time.

On more than one occasion, I’ve seen an article praising some old game and linking to it on GOG, and oh hey, it’s on sale and just a couple of dollars, and I pick it up. It’s true that, as far as my own buying is concerned, none of their other hundreds of sales had any impact — but, that one discount did earn them a sale.

So maybe they’re just taking the scattergun approach here, and it seems to work.

• DrollRemark says:

Yeah, see that makes sense for the general sales they always seem to have on, I was just a bit more cynical about flash sales like the hourly ones. Although, after looking at the site (and as mentioned below) and seeing that you can actually see well in advance what the upcoming sales are, I’m feeling less grumpy about it now.

• MisterFurious says:

They have quite a lot of new games now, though. They aren’t just ‘Good Old Games’ anymore.

• cpt_freakout says:

The beauty of it all is that you don’t have to sit through the whole thing. Why would you, anyway? If you catch a good deal on something you’re interested good, if not, it’s not like there’s not a super big sale for one reason or another every couple months, mostly with exactly the same games on offer.

• pepperfez says:

I assumed it was supposed to be sort of festive. They can’t make a sale and event just by the volume of games, so they do other things to keep people’s attention. Even if you’re not checking every hour, maybe you’re thinking about what’s on sale right now.

• Koozer says:

The hourly deal nonsense is why I buy nothing at all from GOG. My bank charges £1.50 for each transaction with currency conversion, so buying one thing at a time is just terrible. If I could bundle everything I wanted up into one order I’d certainly buy many of the things, but alas I can’t.

• Zafman says:

You can select your currency at the bottom of the page now. Conversion charges are a thing of the past.

6. bad guy says:

Witcher 3 is on sale, and it isn’t even out yet.
    I find that silly.

• Brinx says:

That discount has actually always been there. It’s just a pre-order incentive.

• Jalan says:

And a clever way of drumming up sales on the previous two games, in case anyone gets a raging hard-on for the third and wants it at a slightly lower pre-order price.

RaveTurned says:

Obviously this is a sale to stock up on games *for* the winter months, before the internet pipes ice over and we’re cut off from digital civilization until next spring.

8. bad guy says:

It’s the backlog for winter …. 2016

9. Llewyn says:

Although for some reason it claims 30 flash deals every hour, each deal actually runs for 6 hours and we get three new ones every 40 minutes. It’s not quite as onerous as it seems to keep an eye on them – just remember to refresh the tab three or four times during the waking hours. They also repeated pretty frequently during the Fall sale.

10. Rich says:

Nuts to the saultice being the start of winter! Meteorolgical winter, the only meaningful winter for people, starts on 1st December.

Hurrumph, I say!

11. Haplo says:

Typical Northern Hemispheric oppression. Where are our Antipodean Summer deals, eh? EH? It is -stinking- hot here and the idea that somewhere else on Earth, people are -cold-, makes me so angry.

• jezcentral says:

I think the Steam Sale will have you covered. (Was it last year, they did that Winter Sale/Summer Sale upside-down?)

But yes, we are cold here in the mother country, so your burning anger gives us warmth and comfort.

12. rabbit says:

Anyone who hasn’t played it already and has an interest in isometric RPGs / action RPGs / Diablo type things / whatever – or just fancies something new (old) – I REALLY recommend NOX. I just saw it listed for about two pounds on there – it was probably my first ever ‘favourite game’, way back when. Really, really good game and totally undeserving of the criticism and labelling it got as a ‘diablo clone’. It’s got three seperate, intertwining storylines, each with a vastly different style of play – Warrior, Conjuror, Wizard. Essentially: Melee / Tank, Ranged / Pets, Glass Cannon.

Used to have a ton of fun with the multiplayer too – I wonder how much online action there is these days – think I remember reading that fans had managed to get some sort of server network running again.

13. Person of Interest says:

There’s an auto-updating tracker of GOG flash sales at link to birdiesoft.dk. (The author also tracked the summersale and fallsale; you can probably guess the URL’s for those.) It’s not a great way to see what’s on sale right now, but once a few days have passed you’ll see GOG’s flash sale rotation repeats. Then you can search the tracker to find out whether your preferred games are in the rotation, and maybe predict the next time they’ll be, uh, flashed.

• Jalan says:

The one game I wanted to buy (Clive Barker’s Undying) was flashed so much during the Autumn sale. Each time I attempted to buy it, the site rejected both my Paypal and credit card. I got so pissed off I just blew through my games budget for the month on other crap and cried myself to sleep when the sale ended.

14. Barberetti says:

Oooh, Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 for £1.99. Thanks GoG!

15. bhauck says:

The idea that the shortest day of the year is the start of winter is lunacy. I understand that minimum temperature lags behind minimum sunlight, so there’s no reason why the solstice should actually be considered the exact midpoint of winter, but it sure as hell isn’t the beginning of it.

16. Continuity says:

Wait what.. December is in autumn?

Madness.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yes, I’m not entirely sure what Alice was thinking. Maybe it’s a British thing?

I, for one, am hoping we’ll get to experience even a whiff of true winter rather than a prolonged autumn. At least temperatures have started to bend towards 0ºC.

17. Eagle0600 says:

It’s summer here, so you’re all wrong.

18. RedMist says:

Lies. It should be summer sale. Couple weeks ago we had 34 degree C and others 45. Ouch.

19. Kaeoschassis says:

What good is a winter sale that ends BEFORE Christmas?! Jeez GOG, way to drop the ball.

20. alms says:

I can testify that Vanish of Ethan Carter is so powerful even the most Grumpy Old Ghoulish stain will disappear like it never existed in the first place

• Jalan says:

alms confirmed to be RPS posting account of Vince Offer

• Shadowcat says:

You can then use the Varnish of Ethan Carter to make things shine like never before!

21. apa says:

I like GOG better than any of the other stores: completely DRM-free! The games WILL work with no tricks or cracks even after they have closed the company. I’m already saving games up for my retirement days :D

• Shadowcat says:

For a while there, RPS seemed to report on every little thing that Valve did while GOG seemed to get ignored as often as not. I’ve been quite pleased to observe that RPS have upped their game over the past year or two, and seem to do a much better job of covering the GOG goings on for the DRM-free crowd. Good work, RPS; keep it up!

22. Czrly says:

Hmm… I bought the “Dreamfall Chapters Special Edition” on Steam a few weeks ago and now I see the “Season Pass” on GOG on this special for another few hours. Is that the same thing or is this some-how a good thing to buy again?

• B.rake says:

I have the GOG version (though haven’t played it yet), made sure it’s the same game before I bought it. I think they just call it the ‘season pass’ to make it clear that there are more chapters coming? The sale just looks like it’s just the Special Edition for the price of the regular game (SE refers to the inclusion of soundtrack/concept art etc.. afaiu).

23. tonka_92 says:

winter starts in november and lasts until february
    some places are weird

• Cake Dispenser says:

Here in West,Texas we been getting mild weather. Tho it’s slowly picking up.

24. Zafman says:

Okay, who hasn’t got Terraria yet? It keeps popping up on a flash sale (80% off!) for £1.29 / $1.99. Holy cow, just get it already!