27 Million Viewers For LoL Worlds Final

Samsung White and then HUGE SAMSUNG WHITE ON MASSIVE SCREENS

27 million tuned in to watch the League of Legends World Championship finals between Samsung Galaxy White and Star Horn Royal Club, Riot have announced.

That number is down 5 million from last year when 32 million watched SK Telecom T1 defeat Royal Club at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Peak concurrent viewers (that’s the point where most people were watching at once) was 11.2 million, up from the previous year where it was just over 8.5 million. During the finals, average online viewing time was 67 minutes as opposed to 42 minutes in 2013.

What that basically means is that this year’s Worlds had a higher spike of interest at one point and that fans were inclined to watch the show around 25 minutes longer, but the overall audience was smaller.

The audience live was about double last year's what with the max capacity of Sangam Stadium being about 40,000 for this event.

“It’s awesome to see fans enjoying Worlds as a community, ” was what Riot had to say on the matter in their official statement, “whether it’s with 40,000 friends cheering together in Sangam Stadium, or as a group staying up late at a local viewing party halfway across the world. We’re honored by your passion and participation.”

Riot will be unveiling some of its 2015 plans over the next few weeks bt if you’re after some competitive LoL to watch there’s the Expansion Tournament. In case you have no idea what that is, previously the North American and European League Championship Series consisted of 8 teams but are now being expanded to 10. The tournament is seeking to fill those extra spaces and will comprise teams from the Promotion Tournament, the Challenger Series playoffs and the ranked 5s ladder.

1. padger says:

That is a lot of millions.

I used to love watching Starcraft, but I have to admit that now I don’t play, I don’t care to watch. (Which is weird, when I don’t play football either, and I am happy to watch that.)

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

On the other hand, I never bought a copy of Starcraft 2 (dabbled a bit with the free trial version) and I still think it’s one of the (if not the) most interesting e-sport to watch. Especially with good commentators.

• PseudoKnight says:

I’m the same way. While I did play Brood War, I never bought SC2. Yet I’ve spent countless hours watching pro games. Both BW and SC2 are excellent spectator games, and perhaps the best. LoL and DOTA2, on the other hand, can’t grab me at all. The lane pushing is fun, but in the end there’s too many heroes, items and chaotic unparsable battles. I enjoyed CS 1.6 years, but not so much now. Quake is semi-interesting as a ballet with rockets, though it can be dizzying. Recently I’ve been enjoying some Age of Empires 2 matches. The RTS genre really lends itself to spectating.

• Reapy says:

I’d have to agree here as well, watching those CS:GO matches as someone who hasn’t played since cs 1.6 years ago, I had no clue WTF was going on, every time they click the button to show the a new perspective it takes me just a moment to figure out which team I’m looking out from, I have no clue where on the map they are, and while the halo’s through the wall are interesting, it’s really confusing what the player is looking at. Before any of this can be processed BAM 3 headshots and the round is over. I’ve never liked watching pro CS, no matter it seems how much they add to it.

SC2 and to some extent DOTA/LOL can be followed a lot better due to the nature of it being RTS.

2. Meat Circus says:

That’s about the same as an episode of a shit soap opera.

3. SooSiaal says:

Very curious where these numbers come from, and from what part of the world

• Mr Chug says:

Likely to be some kind of educated guess based on talking with Twitch/Azubu/Youtube and their global comparators who hold user level data (hence the precise stats on how long the average viewer watched). The western stream sites managed over a million simultaneous viewers for the final, but I’d bet the largest portion of the audience was Chinese, particularly with a (majority) Chinese team making it to the final again.

4. Moraven says:

Note that this year was in Korea, which is not ideal watching times for NA and EU.

• P.Funk says:

You would think by now that with streaming of pre-recorded video it would allow us to do away with the need to get up early to watch anything.

• Eggman says:

True, but sports are not the same when you’re not watching things happen at the time they actually happen.

5. grom.5 says:

I see the tags

link to hydra-media.cursecdn.com

Back on subject. I should add that, while the number of individual watchers has diminished, there is a good chance that it’s quite higher than that. It took the number of connection, however, it is now more usual to bring some friends to watch together on your television.
    In some places, there were cinema rent to watch the finale on big screen after all.

It’s just a supposition. No numbers to back me, but I just wanted to add this.

6. coppernaut says:

I feel like with all the eSports and reality TV hype and coverage lately, our world is definitely heading for some incarnation of Running Man…

7. Coops07 says:

Le sigh… what is the world coming to…