Order From Chaos: Loop Released

Have you heard the theory of the Möbius? I'll tell you later.

Loop is, from what I’ve played, a fine and calming little puzzler. Rain hisses quietly and we add plips, splashes, pangs, and chimes as we swap tiles around to untangle jumbles and complete coloured loops. It is gentle. Then we find ourself on a puzzle with a rotating tile which clicks and creaks like a horrible handbrake. But please, don’t mind that noise too much. Perhaps it provides balance to the calm, reminds us not to get lost in this world of rope and rain. Do download the demo and give it a go, now that the game’s released.

The game presents you with a jumble of hexagonal tiles, each containing a short section of coloured rope or thread or look it doesn’t matter it’s not real anyway. They’re in a fixed shape that’ll reveal a beautiful interlocking knot once you’ve sorted the jumble, which do you do by swapping two tiles anywhere on the board. Some tiles are special, like that fixed rotating nightmare, or contain several colours.

Tile by tile, snips become threads become loops and it’s quite pleasant, like untangling a sewing box or pairing socks. Order from chaos. Pleasant.

Loop is $5.00 (£3.20) on Itch.io. It’s trying to get through Steam Greenlight too. Creator John Cullen tried to raise £250 on Kickstarter earlier this year to pay for a few fees and licenses, and ended up with £1,299. Probably ’cause it’s nice. Look:

1. padger says:

I’d give this a go, but puzzle games DRIVE ME LOOPY.

Eh? /high-fives empty space

2. P4p3Rc1iP says:

This looks EXACTLY like a board game I played a few years ago…. Can’t remember the name sadly but it was pretty fun!

• tnankie says:

Tantrix.
      link to tantrix.com
      More or less a copy.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Loop’s played with similar pieces but quite a different game.

• tnankie says:

it LOOKS a lot like puzzle mode of tantrix in the video, where you take say all the white pieces and make loops….but I take your word for it that it plays differently. I just love the feeling of the bakelite tiles, but loop has the ambient music…

Get loop and tantrix, Play loop on sound system while using the physical tiles to solve the problems of both games….solution using all the strengths :)

3. Llewyn says:

“Ask me about LOOP™” – John Cullen

4. daphne says:

Probably inspired by Entanglement, then. Might be worth a try if this appeals.
    link to entanglement.gopherwoodstudios.com

5. Eukatheude says:

Looks a lot like this game: https play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twoshellko.tangled&hl=en
    Haven’t seen the video though, can’t now.

6. thedosbox says:

This is a perfect description of the game. It’s a great game to play with a beverage in one hand while winding down from a long day.

• Bart Stewart says:

For the most part, I agree.

I swear I can feel my brain being drenched with pleasure chemicals every time I hear the literal “ding” of a completed puzzle. In most cases (I’m up to #30 so far) this only takes several minutes.

But I hit one puzzle — the diabolical #15 — that was two hours of frustration and how-did-I-suddenly-become-stupid. As you play, you can discover heuristics, but they didn’t seem to work on #15; it felt more random, more trial-and-error to me. It may not have been, really; maybe I did just miss the clues and do things the hard way.

Just be aware: it’s pleasant when you can solve the puzzles, but some of them may challenge your zen. ;)

7. meepmeep says:

Just in case anyone else is as dim as me, it transpires you can swap any two tiles, not just neighbouring ones.

8. vahnn says:

I just tried the demo of this and it was pretty fun. $5 of fun? Depends on how many puzzles there are. Is there any kind of procedural or randomized puzzle feature? Because 40-60 puzzles may not be worth it to me. I’m liking what I’m seeing so far, however.