Rowy Horror Show: Saints Row IV The Musical

What is evil anyway?

Demonstrating an impressive refusal to stop being absolutely ridiculous, Saints Row 4’s about to offer up a standalone expansion named Gat Out Of Hell, in which the gang come to bust you out of Satan’s pile. This much we already knew, but getting to witness the heights of its divine (or quite the opposite) madness first-hand is something else.

GTA V might have had a fancy-pants high-def remake, but Saints Row 4 has a full-length musical number. Pretty sure I know which one’s got my vote. Ready yourself for this: they’ve not done this thing by halves.

Splendid stuff, in a “we can do it, and there’s no longer anyone to tell us we shouldn’t do it, so therefore we should do it” sort of way, even if it does owe a debt to the South Park movie.

In case you’re now concerned that the entire game will consist of warbling and awkward rhymes, the footage we saw a couple of months ago suggests the meat of the game will be SR4’s now-familiar drive’n’murder’n’superpowers setup, albeit with a demonic theme. I’m still hoping there’s a musical theatre rhythm action minigame in there too.

Oh, and if you’re in the mood for a giggle/moment of utter despair, the outraged YouTube comments on that video are Quite The Thing.

Gat Out Of Hell is a standalone Saints Row IV expansion, due out at the end of January. Which sounds like ages, but in fact 2015 is only weeks away, and I am FREAKING OUT about that.

1. Drake Sigar says:

Are ‘fans’ STILL moaning about how things should go back to Saint’s Row 2?

Qazinsky says:

While I don’t really go around moaning about it, I personally wouldn’t mind if the series went back to SR2s Over the top GTA style.

• LionsPhil says:

Style aside, the gameplay’s been on the decline since 2. 3 has less of it (although a better port makes it so, so much more playable), and 4 made half of it pointless while introducing awkward, sluggish superpowers, then made most of the main storyline “oh, uh, do these side missions while we play a voice-in-ear audio clip at you because we couldn’t be bothered to have characters act any more”.

• PopeRatzo says:

Saints Row 4 was one of the greatest games of all time, in any genre, at all levels.

I cried at the end, after the credits during the Soul Train line dance. Cried real effing tears because it was a game with a human heart. One in which I get to drive and shoot and kill and…love. And create a non-hero looking hero who looks like the lady at the toll booth and jump over tall buildings and go back to a 1950’s virtual reality.

And everybody calls me, “Boss”. Are you kidding me? It’s like someone drilled a hole in my heart and went looking for the ingredients for the game that would cause me to want to stand on a chair and sing my heart out (except it’s got a hole drilled it where the game went in and got the ingredients, so that sentence went awry).

And Saint Row 2 was really crappy. I would send the people who made Saints Row IV a blank check right now, except I wouldn’t know who to make it out to.

• derbefrier says:

nah your wrong 4 was a great game. I know this because i actually beat it and I don’t beat a lot of games because i usually get bored halfway through 99% of them and move on to something else. The story was silly and fun, the super powers were a lot of fun , there were quite a few weapons that were a lot of fun to play with. I am someone who generally regards the GTA series as decidedly average and over rated and i had an absolute blast with SRIV.

• Bimble says:

Another vote for 4 here. One of the few games I’ve 100%ed. Flying around the city is just so fluid it fills me with joy.
          Gunplay, pacing, bonkers story (but I gave a shit about the characters so just let it wrap me up and go where it wanted and it wanted weird) all top notch. If anything, I hope SR5 leaves last gen and sorts the draw/interact distance/traffic variety and adds some more space (assuming superpowers remain.)

Honestly one of the best games I’ve ever played and I started on the Aquarius with Macho Man. I’m as pumped for more SR as I am for GTA, maybe even a tinsy bit more (hush now.) It’ll be pennies come Christmas and if you’ve not played and don’t buy it you need a slap (with a giant dildo obviously)

• PsychoWedge says:

Dunno but the first comment on the video is about how real fans don’t dislike anything the thing they’re fans of does so everybody should shut the fuck up if they’re real fans. xD

• quarpec says:

yeah, as your ‘ ‘ implies, these people aren’t saint’s row fans, they’re off-brand gta fans

• Emeraude says:

From a narrative standpoint, I’m glad they went away from the putrid elements present in SR2. From a pure game design standpoint, I do think there’s a lot they could take from two that would make three and four a lot better.

2. padger says:

This is the best thing ever.

APPROVED.

3. Caelyn Ellis says:

Saints Row games are the best at being video games. I wouldn’t want every single game to be as gonzo as they are, but I wish more devs would go “Fuck it, this is a video game. Let’s turn it up to amazeballs and have some fun.”

• bee says:

Yep, that’s why I love SR

• Kollega says:

Insomniac Games kinda did the same thing with their released-a-few-months-ago Sunset Overdrive, but it’s… *hushed whisper* …Xbone-exclusive. *back to normal voice* But they do own the IP, so the sequel might show up on PC too.

• pepperfez says:

I wish more developers realized that “best at being video games” isn’t a backhanded compliment at all.

4. jezcentral says:

Up with this sort of thing.

5. KirasiN91 says:

I just logged in after years (I forgot I even had an account here) just to say, this was absolutely brilliant! I hope the story is a big musical!

6. squirrelrampage says:

I can only imagine how the board meeting went:

“…and after all that, then we will do a musical trailer!”
    “That is completely insane. Let’s do it!”

7. Kreeth says:

Just got round to buying SR4 and now I’m going to have to buy this as well. Great stuff.

8. Eight Rooks says:

Eh, the writing’s noticeably not as good as something like the South Park movie (which had awesome songs as well as being funny), but still, yes, this put a smile on my face all the same and I wouldn’t mind at all if they threw some of it into the actual game. (The howls from YouTube commenters and their ilk are just the icing on the cake.)

• Jalan says:

Being the uncultured swine that I am, I found myself disliking the South Park film solely because of how often it broke out into musical numbers. I don’t know what it is about musicals, I just can’t enjoy them. Even the supposed “cool”/”hip” ones.

• Eight Rooks says:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I didn’t mean everyone should like them – I’m still not hugely fond of musicals as a genre myself. Just that the South Park movie has some genuinely fantastic songwriting (how the melodies/the hooks work, how the lyrics scan etc., the La Resistance medley is absolute dynamite) and this trailer isn’t really that… eloquent? But Bigger, Longer & Uncut does set a pretty high bar, and I do still admire what Volition are doing here. Shame if musical numbers would put you off the game – assuming you liked Third and IV – but I’d quite like to see them happen.

• PopeRatzo says:

The South Part Movie made me re-evaluate musicals. Now, I’m a fan of them. I don’t care if it’s Golddiggers of 1933 or South Pacific or friggin’ Jersey Boys. I can actually enjoy musicals and even will seek them out when I’m by myself (because my wife still hates them).

• Jalan says:

Understood. Personally I just found the musical element of the South Park film to be its main deterrent in my enjoyment of it. I get that it’s basically a key element in joke delivery for it but all the breakouts into song just kill it for me. Parker and Stone aren’t strangers to musical-based comedy (Cannibal, etc.) and I can appreciate that they’ve found a way to make it work for themselves but that’s as far as I can go.

On the other hand, things like the opening title song to Orgazmo or the montage sequence song from Team America I found to be hilarious.

9. Guvornator says:

(Saints Row 3 Spoilers)

The only bad thing about this is, now they’ve teased it, my jaw won’t hit the floor in the same way it did when Bruce Reynolds just showed up in SR3.

• Skeletor68 says:

Do you mean Burt, or is this a genetic splice of Bruce Campbell and Burt Reynolds?

(I’m lying I know it is Burt, but the combination amused me)

10. Xocrates says:

Welp, this just went up on my buying intentions.

*marks calendar*

11. melnificent says:

I get strong Devils Carnival vibes from the trailer. Which is definitely a good thing

12. Fanbuoy says:

Dat pop-in at 2.05, though…

13. PaladinGunn says:

I love those guys. Seriously.
    SR has to be at the top of my “funniest games ever” list.

14. thedosbox says:

Damnit, this isn’t coming out until January?

15. Kollega says:

Well, I can’t say I’m a big fan of musical numbers, and I also wish that Volition just wrapped up Saints Row already and did something new, but I might still be buying Gat Out of Hell because of how gloriously bonkers it is.

16. RARARA says:

I see that the father/daughter dynamics recently set off by Booker & Elizabeth, Lee & Clementine, Joel & Ellie, Conrad & Lara is being carried on by… Satan & Jezebel?

Ninja Dodo says:

The daddification of games is probably due to more game developers now being old enough to more often be parents, and specifically the father/daughter dynamic due to game developers still being predominantly male. Provided quality of life improves enough to keep devs from leaving en masse when they become “too old for this shit” I predict more grandparents in games a couple of decades from now, and obviously more varied characters in general if/when diversity improves.

17. Niko says:

This is amazing.

18. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

This is brilliant, but now I can’t stop thinking about how, when Jezebel lies on her side, her horns should be tearing through her pillow.

19. CMaster says:

Interesting that despite “not wanting to marry that Saint”, Jezebel is already in the Saints’ colour scheme of Purple and Gold.

20. jonahcutter says:

Looks like fun. Though I’d hoped they be truly daring and have the Saints storm Heaven to overthrow God.

Maybe next game.

21. Spacewalk says:

Hell, if they chuck in a few more dance numbers then I’ll have to pre-order this pronto.

22. Rufust Firefly says:

This is the best musical number since the cut John Lithgow sequence from LA Story.

23. Haborym says:

Didn’t you mention this before? I could’ve sworn I saw something about this on this site before.