Costumed Fighting: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round PC-Bound

Sure, why not?

I am glad to see more fighting games come to PC, and especially one where you can have a lady dressed as Sexy Sherlock Holmes kick a member of a Whitesnake cover band off a roof. Publishers Tecmo Koei have announced a PC port of DoA 5 Last Round, Team Ninja’s next zany person-puncher. It’s the third main version of DoA 5, expanded in the same way that Capcom revamp Street Fighter, and the first shinied up for those there new consoles.

Given that this is the series’ proper PC debut (a free-to-play DoA ran from 2008-2010), it’s odd that it’s being hamstrung: it’ll be missing online modes at launch. But look, I wasn’t kidding about Sexy Sherlock. Watch a few bouts:

Here we see Sexy Sherlock facing off against Mr. Whitesnake in a slum. What crime has caused these two to meet, and why here? What trailer of impossible clues has Sherlock followed to track him down? A Whitesnake world tour t-shirt with one city name worn out as if it were often stroked intently, perhaps. I would like to see Sexy Sherlock face Robert Downey Jr.’s Hunky Sherlock.

And here we have- hey, that’s Kano from Mortal Kombat! Kano! What are you doing here? Go back to your own game and leave that catgirl alone, you big silly.

As you might have noticed, DoA is big on wacky characters and garish costumes. It’s got over 300 outfits across its 34 characters, along with hairstyles and accessories.

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is due to launch on February 17th, 2015, priced at £29.99. It won’t be an Early Access release, yet the game won’t be finished either. As its Steam page notes: “Online modes for Dead or Alive 5 Last Round will be added in a patch within 3 months of release.” What a weird thing that is. I imagine it’ll have nasty consequences for forming an online community.

1. RARARA says:

Even if I have no interest in DOA, I’m glad to see the continuation of Japanese ports to PC. Maybe next we will get something from the only series of enjoyable fighting games – SoulCalibur.

• Duckeenie says:

Maybe I just sucked at SC but for me it always felt like a good looking button masher. I felt that in comparison DOA (on Dreamcast) was a little slower paced which allowed for a more tactical approach to play.

• RARARA says:

My friend and I mostly played with the slower characters (Siegfried and Knightmare) on the PS2; couple that with the distance involved between the players due to the range of the weapons and the time it takes for the weapons to arc and hit, I personally felt the weapon-based Souls games were a bit more slower than the up-close-and-personal hand-to-hand combat games, where attacks are more immediate. More often than not, my friend and I would start the match and wait just out of each others’ range, waiting for the other to make the first move. Mash your buttons and your opponent would just side step and grapple you from the sides or bait you towards the edge and kick you off the ring (which is always delightful). So it was much, much easier to punish button-mashers.

I’m really shit at fighting games, and the Souls games are about the only ones I enjoy.

• Tacroy says:

Sounds like you want a Bushido Blade remake

• pepperfez says:

Everybody does, but I can’t believe any major publisher would make a good, faithful one. Kinda surprising no enterprising indie has, though.

• vahnn says:

There was Kengo: Master of Bushido on the PS2 which was supposed to be a sort of spiritual successor to Bushido Blade. But holy damn that game was unbelievably awful. To this day I rate it as my worst PS2 purchase ever.

• bill says:

I loved Soul Calibur. Virtua Fighter was always my fave though.

What we all really want in terms of japanese PC ports is Vanquish though.

• vahnn says:

I would kill for SC3 to come to PC. I guess I haven’t played any of the SC games since SC4, but only briefly.

2. Anthile says:

I always wonder how they record those grunting noises for fighting games. Must be either super awkward or super fun in the studio.

• aldo_14 says:

I remember reading an interview with someone who worked on the sound effects for Shame; for some of the sex scenes, they recorded a frozen chip being rapidly dipped in and out of a wee cup of mayonnaise.

• RedViv says:

There is no either/or in grunt recording. Always both.

3. Janichsan says:

The Boob Physics™ never have been so detailed before…

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Not that they know how real breasts look like.

• Distec says:

OR OR OR

They do, but they’re making them ridiculous any way.

Crazy idea, I know.

• airmikee says:

It’s probably a combination of the two. Breast cup sizes vary greatly around the world, with Russia and Scandinavia well ahead of the pack, while China and Japan lag far behind. It’s possible a combination of ignorance and fantasy lead to the ridiculous shapes and sizes coming from artists in the Far East.
          link to huffingtonpost.com

• B.rake says:

Finally, a reason for CUDA other than Civ V terrain :P

4. Spacewalk says:

Bouts or butts?

Bonedancer says:

I used to enjoy some DOA2 back in the day, so I’m sort of interested in this. Problem is, I can’t find a controller that works properly – my cheapo Playstation-knockoff is mostly unrecognised. The old Xbox USB controller I borrowed from a friend claims to be recognised and up-to-date with drivers, but none of the Steam games I’ve tried it with – Castle Crashers, Arkham Origins, couple of others – seem to get any input at all from it.

Can anyone recommend a decent reliable controller? Or tell me about the secret “controller start working=1” setting I don’t know about yet?

• manio22 says:

Get joytokey . It recognizes lots of gamepads with a very easy interface to setup / alter any buttons. I have even manage to turn my crappy old Logitech Dual Action to mouse , to control the cursor from my bed, you now for those VERY LAZY days…

• Viroso says:

I think the best most reliable is the xbox controller, yo. Maybe yours specifically isn’t working. I dunno.

• Beard_Arthur says:

This is the one I have:

Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter

Works really well with the Xbox 360 Wireless controllers and I’ve never had an issue with games not detecting input.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Just an FYI, if you own a key emulator like the Logitech G13, the wireless device for the Xbox 360 gamepad will sometimes conflict with the drivers, resulting in mangled or nonexistent controller input for a whole host of games (the Dead Space series being the biggest example). You actually have to manually disable the G13’s drivers in order to get a working gamepad in those cases.

• iainl says:

I don’t have any problem with either my wired or wireless 360 controllers. Unfortunately, there’s something about my GameCube-to-USB adaptor that means when I use it with my Soul Calibur II arcade stick SSFIVAE (and Ultra) don’t recognise light, medium and heavy punch all being pressed at once, so I can’t do Ultras on it. Which is a bit rubbish.

• welverin says:

I’d recommend an Xbox One controller, if you want a pad. A 360 pad will work just as well, but I prefer the buttons on the XO pad more, they’re flatter and thus don’t cause soreness the same way the 360 ones did. Same goes for the lack of bumps on the analog stick, though the circular ridges aren’t much better.

Though for fighting games I’d suggest you do the right and proper thing and get an arcade stick. I got this one for my Ps3 back in the day it it works perfectly with my pc and the fighting games I have for it. Whether you can find one reasonable priced or not now I know not. Though Mad Catz did have a number of differently branded sticks (SF, MvC) which were all the same, so that may make it easier.

• B.rake says:

I second the XBONE recommendation if you want an all-around gamepad- fixes the 360’s dpad which is a blight upon mankind games requiring directional precision. It’s recognized as a 360 pad in games that support xinput and there are various key binding workarounds for games without controller support. Important to note that it does not work wirelessly (console proprietary nonsense), only via micro USB (also, the shoulder buttons are weirdly placed). Only issue I’ve had so far is having to disable it as ‘Human Interface Device’ in Device Manager in order to get Dark Souls to recognize it properly (also BoI Rebirth says it does not recognize- but it still works fine).

If you prefer other non-PC specific controllers such as Wii U Pro (which is quite nice imo) or PS3/4 there are various workarounds including hacked drivers and 3rd party dongles that convert them into dinput and xinput – recommend searching Neogaf forums for info on that sort of stuff.

• vahnn says:

The Xbox 360 controller seems to be universally recognized as the most reliable, easiest to plug in and play controller for PC. But the Dpad is AWFUL. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL for fighting games.

I have three friends who use their wired PS3/4 controllers and use a 3rd party program to make it functional on the PC. Free and easy to use. Now if I could just remember what the hell it’s called…

• baozi says:

I agree that the Xbox 360 D-Pad isn’t very useful for fighting games.

Granted, I always played on a low level, but I did actually liked playing fighting games using a keyboard.
        Don’t stone me.

• pepperfez says:

Someone entered Evo last year with a controller composed of four direction keys on the bottom right (in an inverted-T shape) and QWE-ASD on the upper left.

6. Monggerel says:

WHEN WIL YE PORT FAKIN DEMONS’S’ SOULSE JAPANA?! HUH?!

…oh, never? Yeah, that’s… that’s such a Sony thing to do innit. Technically Microsoft as well but I can’t think of an Xbawks-only game I actually wanna play.

• RARARA says:

Personally I wouldn’t mind Phantom Crash, Crimson Skies 2 and Steel Battalion.

7. pepperfez says:

So…there’s also big PC fighting game news today with Street Fighter V being announced as PS4 and PC exclusive. Maybe the PC-FGC golden age is really coming?

• welverin says:

Depends on whether Namco gets on board, hopefully they will. I’d love to be able to play Tekken and Soul Calibur on PC along with SF and DoA.

• pepperfez says:

Tekken 7’s already confirmed. I’m just waiting on Arcsys for GG Xrd and French Bread for Undernight Inverse (which might be the most thoughtfully designed fighting game out there right now despite its comical name).

8. WALLS says:

im astounded. this is normally the sort of thing that gets a portentous windbag rant about games innate sexism, and a link to a sarkesian video.

9. Jalan says:

I guess when Itagaki left Team Ninja, he took the heart and soul of the studio with him.

10. baozi says:

Somehow the PC fighting game situation is getting better and better!

Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Dead or Alive – what’s still missing in the 3D fighting games genre? Soul Calibur (yes please!) and Virtua Figher (never played a recent game)?