Resident Evil Remaster Arreiving In Janreuary

Now with more guts than ever.

Resident Evil’s Spencer Mansion mansion is looking better than ever in a new 1080p 60fps trailer for the Resident Evil Remaster. It’s come along way since is first appearance in 1996; other parts of Resident Evil haven’t. After chatting with a prettier-than-ever Barry, passing through a prettier-than-ever door, and exploring prettier-than-ever corridors, the prettier-than-ever Jill gets bitten by a prettier-than-ever zombie she couldn’t see because the fixed camera retreated back around a prettier-than-ever corner. Plus ça change and all that. But maybe I’m being a big grump; you’d want it to play the same, wouldn’t you?

The trailer comes alongside word from Capcom that they’ll release the RE Remaster “starting from” January 20, 2015. That might be for one of the console versions but look, it’ll be around then. And they say it’ll cost $19.99.

The RE Remaster is a prettying-up of the Gamecube ‘REmake’ of the original. Capcom say they’ve touched up the combat and added a new non-tanky control option too but, well, it all still looks a bit of a mess to me. The shiny look and fresh scent of Mr Sheen only make its other clunkiness look jarring and unpleasant. Which is dandy for a game released in 1996, or a game which looks like it was, but the disconnect… it’s not one for me, I suspect. But for you, possibly? Have a look:

1. RedViv says:

Yeah, if I want to go clunky horror, I’ll at least want to be entertained by the QUALITY of ACTING in the original.

Lexx87 says:

I couldn’t finish the Cube REmake. I accidentally ensured one of the super zombie things was lurking in a corridor I had to pass through rather a lot.

That corridor stressed me out so much I ended up giving the game to a friend :-(

• Synesthesia says:

Yeah, that’s a common occurrence. I just ran through it, sometimes I got tagged. It’s a fantastic remake.

• Jalan says:

I loved that they finally put the Crimson Heads into that game. That element really helped sell the fact that just pissing away ammo killing regular zombies who already moved slow enough for a player to avoid with relative ease in most situations was a dangerous effort.

Then, of course, upon finishing the game they threw Forrest at you and the reality of firing off a stray shot that would detonate the entire area sank in on top of that.

3. NailBombed says:

something something MASTER OF UNLOCKING something something. Hope that the dialogue is kept up to it’s usual standard.

4. Eight Rooks says:

Nope, not one for me. I’m sure it’ll make a lot of people very happy, but… no. I tried the Cube version again a little while ago, and ditched it in minutes – the moment the first zombie shuffled forward from around a corner where I couldn’t see it coming I didn’t think OH MY GAWD, THE TENSION, SO SCARE I just thought “Jesus, how the hell did we ever put up with this nonsense?”. Ditching tank controls and fixed camera angles was the best thing the series ever did – give me 6 over this any day.

• Anthile says:

Indeed, some game concepts age like fine wine and others, well, age like a steak.

• Hyoscine says:

So stealing that “age like a steak” line.

• Kitsunin says:

Weird, I always go back to the ol’ Resi or SiHill games and think “man, this feels good, I’m fine with them not churning out more of these, but they are classics.”

• XhomeB says:

For me, it’s the exact opposite. The moment fixed camera angles were abandoned – replaced by third person shooter type of camera – the series went down the drain.

• faelnor says:

Same here. I recently played through the RE1 remake + RE0 bundle on Gamecube and it felt so much more intense, pleasant and refreshing than anything that came after. I still can’t get over tripe like RE6.
        The Gamecube version is a very fine remake and I’ll be happy to play that new remaster on PC.

• Synesthesia says:

Yep, same here. 4 was a gem, but it was not RE. I loved fixed camera angles. Tank controls could be easily done without, but didn’t bother me particularly. Still waiting for the RE2 remake, the dual shock version was terrific.

• golem09 says:

I still like the fixed camera angles and clunky controls a lot because it forces you to play completely different. It’s not an action game, and it never wanted to be. 4-6 aren’t simply on a higher quality level, they are basically a different genre, the old ones were almost puzzle games (when it comes to combat, not because they have a lot of puzzles)

• Xantonze says:

You can choose your control model in this remake, “tank” or “modern”.

5. Kefren says:

This’ll do me! Even on my Playstation when it came out I found the original hard to look at. I’d love an update of RE2 and RE:Nemesis too.

6. Oakreef says:

So excited to finally play the REmake! I wonder if this does well would they port RE0 as well? I suppose if all else fails there’s always Dolphin.

7. SkittleDiddler says:

Yay! Now I have a chance to replay the dumbest game ever made! In HD!

• rcguitarist says:

No, they haven’t remade your Call of Duty: Ghosts yet kid.

• aerozol says:

Ah, some well-placed and constructive criticism! Well done sir!*
      *not really

8. rcguitarist says:

I have the original RE 1-3 still and play them from time to time on my old PS2. Classics! A remake would be fine if all they did was update the graphics. Redoing the cutscenes and voice acting kills it for me.

Andy_Panthro says:

Where’s my fancy remake of Alone in the Dark, eh?