Super Wolfenstein HD Relives Classic In Ridicul-O-Vision

Killed right into a wall.

The last time I tried to play the original Wolfenstein 3D was a few years back, on a netbook. It seemed like a good idea at the time. About half an hour later my contorted, shrivelled fingers revolted, crawled out of their sockets and attempted to end me.

They failed, of course, because fingers detached from hands cannot exert significant pressure. So it is that today I am able to play Super Wolfenstein HD, a free game created by Broforce devs Free Lives for the Indies vs. Pewdiepie jam. You may already have encountered Where Is My Hammer: Destroy Everything from the same jam. Super Wolfenstein HD is loosely similar in concept, except everything is Nazis. So much Nazis.

It’s kind of brilliant. Tackling these Nazi soldiers is a little like fighting an army of weebles that someone’s attached machine guns to. Alternate metaphor: it’s like you’re playing a multiplayer FPS in which everyone else has the controls of QWOP (nb: precedent). What I’m trying to say is that they are inept, hilarious and fall over a lot. The game’s walls are destructible and chunks fly around everywhere as the Nazis generally succeed in shooting everything but you.

There are also dogs. The dogs are brilliant. It’s especially good when they get stuck in the level geometry. Seriously, folks: playing this was a great start to the day.

There are two versions of the game; the original was finished within the jam’s timeframe, whilst the second was buffed up a bit later. It includes a shovel, something id’s original vision was sorely lacking, along with “realistic physics” – ha! The updated version also has a boss with chainguns for arms, who’s probably supposed to be Hitler. He managed to kill me, but only because I ran out of bullets. If only I could get him stuck in the level geometry somehow…

1. Ashrand says:

You can use the spade to remove throwing knives from dead bodies….. and they are much more fun than shooting for reasons i haven’t worked out yet

• Shaun Green says:

I hadn’t realised that! Damn,I bet I can beat mecha-weeble-Hitler now.

• hieronymus bonk says:

Also, you can shoot guns out of enemies’ hands! I just completed my half-pacifist run by shooting everyone once, knocking the gun out of their hands with the shovel, and leaving them to weeble harmlessly. Still dead in this approach: dogs, bosses.

• LionsPhil says:

Is it possible to just speedrun to the exit while they still live?

You can tap dogs with the shovel to dissuade them (by causing them to forget how to operate their legs). I think everyone is susceptable to being bowled over by simply running into them, but you risk injury.

• Ravey says:

Non-hitscan, weapons that are arc are almost always the best. Proof? Throwing knives, grenade launchers and bananas.

2. LionsPhil says:

Procedural, physical NPCs and terrain deformation? It’s like Christmas came early.

This is actually really quite good. I love how the shovel changes up running around pressing space on all the walls trying to find secret doors.

Also, if you hit a dog in the face with a shovel, it turns into a crazy whirling dervish of rage.

3. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Your fingers usually stay in sockets?

4. Gonefornow says:

Voxelstein 3D did this quite sometime ago.
    link to youtube.com

Well, it doesn’t have gameplay per se, but the tech is more suitable for environmental destruction.
    It also lacks zany ragdolls, it only has the ordinary kind.

5. John O says:

It’s really quite amazing. It makes me wish there was more of it.

6. Spacewalk says:

This is pretty sweet. They should do one about Quake because the mental image of an Ogre rolling around wildly swinging his chainsaw arm about whilst lobbing grenades at all angles that I just got is hilarious.

• neckro23 says:

The drunken Shamblers would be something to see.

The zombies would remain exactly the same, of course.

• Spacewalk says:

Unless the zombies were allowed to rip off actual parts of their own bodies to throw at you instead of it being just an animation and a separately spawning projectile.

• Shaun Green says:

Oh hell yes. That needs to happen.