What Are You Playing This Weekend?

You don’t need to say, dear reader. You don’t need to comment on this post. We already know. We are watching you.

But only because we care. It is an act of love. Of compassion.

Trust us.

We will keep you safe.

~

As far as I’m aware, no one is watching me. Of course, this could be precisely what they want me to think. Therefore this weekend I shall be lulling them into a false sense of security by crawling inside a dressing gown the size of an elephant or two tauntauns, drinking a cup of tea on the hour every hour, and continuing my adventures in Wasteland 2.

I just reached California, you see, and I’m having a jolly time trying to spot references to Brian Fargo’s other post-apocalyptic lovechild, Fallout. So far I’ve not run into much, which is a genuine surprise given how many other gags are packed into this otherwise moody and atmospheric RPG.

Still, I’ll be a monkey’s father’s brother if I don’t run into a bunch of over-zealous techno-religious types with heavy firepower and a hard-on for keeping the good stuff to themselves.

If I get a little bored of Wasteland – ha! – and fancy entertaining myself otherwise for a while, I’m frankly spoiled for choice. I’m sure I’m not alone in trying to work out which games I most want to wrap up before the inevitable deluge of delicious Christmas sales.

I could date more fowl-mouthed chicks in Hatoful Boyfriend. I could continue getting everyone killed in Gods Will Be Watching. I could finally get around to finishing any of the Ice Pick Lodge games I’ve started and neglected to finish. And I could even continue persuading my girlfriend that we should play Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines together, which I gather is possible. I’m a grotesque nosferatu, and in the game.

Why, I could even switch on one of the cons- ha, no, what a ridiculous notion.

~

But what about you, dear reader? What will you be playing?

You do not need to say. We will know when it happens.

But we do not know in advance.

Yet.

Love,
The Hive Mind

1. DarkLiberator says:

Been playing Europa Universalis 4 again. As the Byzantines trying to get my whole empire back. My buddy is playing as Ming. Right now we can’t really directly help each other.

Also been playing way too much DOTA for my own good. I particularly like supports like Lich and Witch Doctor.

• bewilderbeast says:

Yeah, Paradox! I started a new game on CKII as Charlemagne, got bored once I’d made all the empires, and switched over to the Petty King of Svithod to attempt to reform the Germanic Faith. It’s currently 1006 and I’ve done it, and now the Empire of Scandanavia is looking to the Russian steppes to expand the reach of the Sagas… ‘cos the empire of Francia is still going strong and there’s no way I’m even trying to break that open until I have at least half the damn map behind me.

I also got Vic II and HoI III in the *ahem* autumn sale, so I’m going to try and go for a full Paradox run with this timeline. At my current play-rate, I should be done… sometime in April.

teije says:

How very odd – EUIV as the Byzantines (although SP) is exactly what I’m obsessed with right now. In all of years of EU playing, never once tried by Byzzies and enjoying it immensely.

With Age of War (patch 1.8) EUIV has finally matured into a fantastic game, so well worth returning to if someone hasn’t tried it since release days.

2. LionsPhil says:

I am doing a New Game Plus Hard Mode playthrough of Call of JUAREZZZ, because it’s now been long enough that I can’t quite remember all of Silas’ narrative fumbles until they happen.

Such a great game.

Also probably SMAC, which has formed the kind of epic superpower-on-superpower three-way Gaians (myself)+Uni vs Miriam+Lal vs Morgan (yes, seriously) world war that Civ always felt it should do but never quite seems to form.

Who needs new games?

• Lycan says:

Amen, brother. I’m playing Darksiders 2 again (never finished it the first time due to performance issues finally getting to me – much smoother and downright pretty now with a new rig :D). The odd DOTA 2 game if I feel like being yelled at by strangers less experienced than me (at both life and DOTA :P)…

Who needs new games indeed – though I do have a couple of characters at various stages of playthroughs in Lords of the Fallen (just waiting for the next patch to see if it settles the performance issues down a bit)

• B.rake says:

Awesome. I started revisiting Alpha Centauri when Beyond Earth was announced and have since lost several days and any interest in Beyond Earth to it. Some games never die.

• Anthile says:

I love it when you talk dirty.

3. B.rake says:

Was planning to continue playing GTA San Andreas, hoping to take it in it in its (whew) original glory before I forgot to pause the forced update at every Steam reboot or switch to Online mode… except after a couple hours I realised it’s just another GTA game I fail to connect with regardless of how fantastically impressively wonderfully well executed it is.

In lieu of that I expect to disappear down the ususal Teleglitch/Dungeon of the Endless/Rebirth/Spelunky shaped hole :D

4. someloser says:

I’m playing The Spatials, and enjoying it immensely. I might see if I can dig up my copy of Space Colony later on.

5. Spacewalk says:

I’m hanging out with me mate Rod Faction the Third toppling towers and watching buildings fall over

particlese says:

Ooo, fine choice. I saw Steam downloading the big update last night (the one which removes GFWL, fixes a bunch of other stuff like keyboard-and-mouse vehicle control, and adds new multiplayer maps and modes or something) and was tempted to play through it again, but I’m trying to finish another game right now. You can’t dig tunnels with a rocket launcher like you can in The First, but The Third is still my favorite gratuitous destruction game by a long shot.

• Shaun Green says:

It’s a good time to revisit good old Rod Faction!

Anyone know whether the recent Steam re-release has fixed some of the game’s PC bugs? Specifically the way that buildings periodically disappear.

It didn’t make the game unplayable, far from it, but it was a lot tougher to demolish something that I couldn’t see.

• Spacewalk says:

I haven’t come across any naturally disappearing buildings yet.

6. Anthile says:

Still galloping through the wild west of Orlais: link to i.imgur.com

7. grimdanfango says:

Well that’s deeply disturbing. This happens to be precisely the weekend that I finally got around to starting Wasteland 2, it having sat in my Steam library unplayed since it was released.

It’s almost like you *are* watching me……

Jiskra says:

Its going to be DA Inquisition for me. Yeah I know …. had to buy X360 controller, but its not a bad game :)
    And if controlls in DA:I piss me off too mutch i will let off some steam in Shadow Warrior.

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Just a bit of Scrolls, I expect. Otherwise, occupied with Sinterklaas festivities.

Oakreef says:

Got through the first episode of Telltale’s Game of Thrones. Top stuff. If I get any more opportunities to play over the weekend it’ll probably be Styx: Master of Shadows.

11. Recurve says:

I’ll be trying to finish King’s Bounty: Dark Side. I’ve always been a sucker for this series but they’ve all been padded out to last far too long. I’ve sunk over 100 hours into this and it’s really starting to drag. I think the finish line is finally in sight though.

• Shaun Green says:

I never did finish the first King’s Bounty for that very reason! I liked so many things about it, but plodding away through fight after fight got a touch old.

I’m guessing you’ve played through the entire series – what’s your take on the games after the first? Should I consider trying again?

• mouton says:

I did finish the Princess one because you get a flying mount and can skip a lot of fights. Attempted the first game twice, got mired in dragons somewhere.

• Shaun Green says:

Oh good lord flying mounts. Okay, if I try another of these games, that is the one I shall try. Thanks!

• Recurve says:

There’s flying mounts in all of them. In fact they’re all pretty much the same game and every single one of them lasts over 100 hours. You get the flying horse much sooner in Warriors of the North compared to the other games though if that makes a difference?

If you want Armored Princess then it might be worth getting Crossworlds instead as it has that game plus some other content too. That just stretches the game out even more though of course but there’s no saying you have to complete it all in one go.

Dark Side is fun as you play as the evil demons and undead this time. Makes a nice change to be evil for once.

• Shaun Green says:

The extra mobility would be a big help, I think. Next time I have an itch that needs scratching just so, I’ll look at Warriors of the North. Thanks!

12. Gonefornow says:

Using my holidays productively playing through the massive GOG back catalog I’ve accumulated over the years.

Currently playing: Call to Power 2, Redshirt, Jade Empire, Fragile Allegiance.

My favorite being DROD. I’m still on the first one, as they take long to complete. It’s a perfect game when there is half an hour to spend.

13. dethtoll says:

I’m mostly playing little things to pass the time between now and my annual celebration of Doom on Wednesday. So far it’s mostly been Half-Life mods (just wrapped up Heart Of Evil) and things such as that — I’m about to see what the fuss over The Stanley Parable is about.

(yes, fellows, demo included — I’m too much of a Kentucky Route Zero fellator to forget that!)

14. noom says:

After first hearing about it on this site several years ago, I’m excited to see Dead State finally going gold. Unfortunately this weekend is mostly going to consist of scrabbling to hit deadlines on monday and tuesday… so it’ll have to wait ’til next weekend.

Sure I’ll find time for a game or two of Binding of Isaac Rebirth though

15. PsychoWedge says:

I think I’ll go with a couple of rounds of StarTopia again. Although I also could finally finish a couple of games that’ve piled up over the last weeks but we all know how it is… xD

16. melnificent says:

I was intending to start with a clear through of my backlog.

But I realised that one game a day I could play for almost two years, where do you start on something like that? Alphabetical? Reverse order? Meta critic rating? Lower to higher dev costs?

So instead of playing I am paralysed by what to play.

• Truck_Rockpec says:

This is exactly why I still have stuff from last winter’s Steam sale waiting in my queue. Choice paralysis.

Carra says:

Start with those that you can actually finish in a day.

• Shaun Green says:

I have done this in the past. howlongtobeat.com is our friend.

I have genuinely got games sitting in my library from the first big Steam holiday sale that I have played for maybe twenty minutes.

Sometimes, the shame becomes overwhelming.

• Lagran says:

Seconding this idea. Working on shorter games gives a sense of accomplisment as it means you can see your backlog reducing exceptionally quickly at the start and should motivate to keep on going.

• Granitas says:

Make a spreadsheet and then use random.org to select your game.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Hmmm could be handy to put together some kind of randomiser for this task… I suppose if one is logged into the steam site, games list could be scraped from there. Fire up the app, hit the ‘Chop my Backlog!’ button, and when it presents a game, you either have to play it, or hide it in your games list.

• B.rake says:

I’m starting to make progress by random pick, the vagaries of mood, and finally learning that I don’t need to complete a game I don’t find utterly compelling in order to have fully enjoyed it- In fact, abandoned at least two games in the past week in spite of a couple decent hours in either. Life as a videogame tourist isn’t bad overall. Perpetually entertaining games are now The Enemy, however, yet I can’t help myself from sinking at least a few hours a week in FTL, Binding of Isaac and their fellow randomised permadeathalikes :(

• Zetetick says:

Yes indeed man !
        I just started playing ROGUE LEGACY after having it sit about on my unplayed category for months….WOW!!
        Now there’s a G R E A T Roguelikey, presently blowing my socks off with old school Joy Gaming :D
        (Cannot Be-leeve I let it languish whilst I played OK-ish bollox for ages!)

17. Truck_Rockpec says:

Dead Island: Epidemic just went into open beta, and replaced their dull-as-dishwater PvE mode with a delightful bubble bath of a PvE mode, so there’s that. Also, Payday 2’s Christmas event will likely get some of my time, and GoG some of my money for their winter sale. Divinity: OS is what I’m most looking forward to from there.

18. revan says:

Made a new Iluminati character in The Secret World. Haven’t really played this game much before and found it on my hard drive the other night. So, Shaun, don’t be so sure nobody is watching. The Pyramid has her Eye on you.

Incidentally, I’m just about done with Arizona in Wasteland 2 so California here I come.

19. Kefren says:

Deus Ex, again. Every time I think I’m done with it I end up downloading it again from GOG a year later for yet another playthrough, and it always feels fresh.

particlese says:

I will be continuing with Mass Effect 3’s main story. The first ~hour of the Omega DLC was dull, wonky, and unlikable enough to make me look up a couple reviews (I heard it was a lengthy mission), and I’ve decided to just load up my last save and skip it altogether. I liked Leviathan and loved Citadel, but Omega is just… Well, I’m looking forward to playing the game proper again, at any rate. Look out, Asari homeworld — Shepard’s coming to borrow your thingy!

I’ll also be dabbling in both Get Christmas Presents for Everybody and Try Not to Get Squished at Christkindlimarkt. Thanks for caring and keeping me safe.

Bluerps says:

I am going to inquisit the hell out of the Dragon Age.

22. Taerdin says:

I started Hearthstone a couple weeks ago and I am hopelessly addicted. So far I’ve had a 9, 8 and 7 win arena run, and my average is nearly 4 wins.

I want to collect all the cards but out of the 21 packs I’ve opened so far I haven’t gotten a legendary yet. Very excited to see what my first one is (probably Lorewalker with my luck).

I’ve been toying with the idea of streaming it even though I’ve never streamed anything before. That’s definitely what the world needs, another subpar Hearthstone stream :P

• Discosauce says:

I got my fourth legendary today after ages without getting any. (Aside from the ones you can easily earn in Naxrammas) And it was… one of the three I already had! AND, it was the worst of the three. Tinkmaster Overspark. Come on Blizzard, make it impossible to draw a Legendary you already have, thanks. The other two I have are equally regrettable. Hogger, and Van Cleef. Rogue is my least favorite class, so of COURSE I have the class legendary. May you fare better, ser!

• Taerdin says:

I actually really like Rogue, so I’m kind of jealous.

Just opened pack 23 and got a golden Bloodsail Raider. I like the shinies :)

23. Vandelay says:

Picked up Arkham Origin last weekend, so will likely continue with that. It’s fun, but nothing greatly different from before. It definitely feels like the b-team worked on it, particularly with the level design; even the city can be a bit of nightmare to navigate and I’m thankful for fast travel. I do like the way they have done a better job of making Batman a detective. It is still mostly about biffing, but they definitely tried to mix it up a bit.

Also got Walking Dead Season 2. Only played about 30 mins, but certainly less enamored with it than the first. It It’s still early days, but it is lacking the connection that the first game created and is just a series of miserable events at the moment. I hope a little more narrative kicks in soon.

• Kefren says:

I thought season 2 was good, but suffered in comparison with season 1. Or it could be that I was less forgiving of sometimes artificial limits (when I would sit here wanting to do or say X when I was given artificially limited choices of only Y or Z – both games suffer from it but it does wear down some of your goodwill at times).

• Csirke says:

I’m playing Arkham Origins too, with the same opinion. The enigma datapack tagging doesn’t work (it seems to be a bug that not many cared about), so in the end I might have to punch those data handlers too, instead of going through the city with a fine comb again when I have all the gadgets :( But it’s still kinda fun.

24. Llewyn says:

Painting the walls, ceilings and dogs, and occasionally logging into WoW to catch up with friends while trying to resist the tyranny of garrisons.

Sadly probably won’t be time for actual games this weekend.

25. Perkelnik says:

Assassins Creed III. I didnt expect much after the reviews but it is a surprisingly fun game and it looks great. Sure, not the best AC game there is, but still a very solid experience.

26. Fomorian1988 says:

Taking a short break from Dragon Age: Inquisition to check out the first episode of Telltale’s Game of Thrones.

27. a-ghost-fart says:

As is tradition, I will now pack away Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Dragon Age: Inquisition to play Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines because of two reasons.

1) Someone mentioned it
    2) It has double the amount of colons in it’s name than any of the other games.

Also, yes, yes your girlfriend should play it. And play it now. Right now. Do it.

• Shaun Green says:

Fancy seeing you here!

First I need to buy her a copy, admittedly. And then patch the devil out of it. But these are not insurmountable challenges.

28. skyturnedred says:

It’s Finland’s independence day, so this weekend will consist of large quantities of alcohol being consumed. Which means online games!

29. DompR says:

Despite my upcoming exams, Dwarf Fortress. Waaaaaay too much of it, if my past binges are any indication, but you just can’t say no to a devlog that reads “Today saw the addition of an oft-requested feature — the ability to geld!”.

30. Jericho says:

For the last several months my weekend free time has been devoured by the Long War mod for XCom, but I picked up ALL of Civ 5 in the recent Steam sale for $12 so I’m hoping that will tear me away. I already gave the Beyond Earth demo a try and the game seemed very lifeless, but in playing the full tutorial and a small first standard game of Civ 5, it seems MUCH more interesting. I love how much character each Civ has, from their AI to their custom units and buildings to their leaders all speaking in their appropriate languages rather than just accented English. It’s no XCom, but it DOES have XCom troopers as a unit type, so that’s cool.

31. rally_point says:

Elite: Dangerous for me, thank you! Tho OP has me thinking about Wasteland 2

32. Laurentius says:

Tie Fighter/ X-Winga Alliance / Super Hexagon

33. Myrdinn says:

Playing through Neverwinter Nights: Storm of Zehir. Fun times.

34. SpacemanSpliff says:

Turned on Diablo 3 for the first time since 2 weeks after initial release. It’s a lot better. Probably spend this weekend playing some Blizzard stuff for nostalgia’s sake. I never did try HoS.

35. Mud says:

Arma 3 which I had since alpha release and never played untill last week with the DUWS mod.
    It was a blast, atleast for me.
    That is what I was looking for in a war game.

36. fish99 says:

Just finished the first Assassin’s Creed (in stereo 3D) which was ….. good but had some of the most annoying and unreliable game mechanics I’ve seen in quite a while. Dunno what to play now …

37. wodin says:

The sublime Wings Over Flanders Field with expansion pack2.

Maybe some Combat Mission BN and Red Thunder

Some Tigers Unleashed beta testing

38. Garibaldi says:

Gonna play alot of Red Faction guerrilla now that the multiplayer steam servers are up. Im currently at work trying to tear through Space Rangers HD, and god is that a good game. Later ill probably do up some Deus Ex revision with shifter and biomod on it(HIGHLY recommended). Ive been stuck on Crysis with blackfire mod for a while as well, worth a look too especially if youve got the goods, And last but certainly not least is Star Trek Armada 3 mod for Sins of a solar empire. They are going to be releasing a huge version on the 15th and it is going to be Phucking EPIC. Any scifi fans should check it out, its a must.

• Shaun Green says:

Space Rangers 2 was splendid! I’ve not yet bitten the bullet for Space Rangers HD. Tell me, does it fix my one major problem with SR2: the ridiculously long grind toward the endgame?

• Garibaldi says:

I thought that was the appeal of it, in that its a really good singleplayer game masquerading as an mmo. I think the only thing that gets tedious for me are some of the text quests, its pretty much just guessing and then restarting 50x over until you get it right, though some of them are legitimately fun. The strategy battles are the shit, though. Not a huge difference from 2.

• Shaun Green says:

Ah, it is horses for courses I suppose. I’d seen what felt like the majority of the game’s content and I was only about 5% toward the required number of points needed to defeat any of the three big bads. (Nb. it was some years back, so I can’t remember the exact ins and outs of how it all worked.) I didn’t really fancy playing for another 200 hours to get where I needed to be, especially since I’d run out of RTS and text adventure levels to change things up.

Some of the text adventures were a real pain, but I remember enjoying some of them. The RTS levels were a lot of fun too!

teije says:

The best thing about Space Rangers is the quirkiness of the quests, which is immensely improved by the bad translations they used to have. Still like to fire that up for a quick jaunt, but no interest in going through the whole plot again.

• Josh W says:

You’ve already got Deus Ex revision?? I though it wasn’t finished yet.

39. Wonderboy2402 says:

Been totally engrossed in Dead State!

40. EyalLan says:

I took advantage of this year’s BF sales to add more games to my otherwise-dull Xbox One backlog. So my time is mostly split between Forza 5, Titanfall and the latest Geo Wars. I also got Diablo III, but am slowly realizing I won’t have enough time to devote to it in the next few months.

41. EkoAzarak says:

Firefall… just as i did all week…

and will next week… and the next..

(addicted)

42. Barberetti says:

I shall be playing Ultima Underworld for the first time ever, thanks to GoG’s sale the other day. I may play some Elite: Online later with my cousin, if I can be bothered with the hassle of its shitty grouping system.

43. airmikee says:

STO’s Winter event just started and the prize this year is a Breen carrier ship, the first free T6 ship made available so far, so I’ve been playing that lately. I’ve recently started Endless Space as well, which turned out to be a pleasant surprise, and will probably lead me to pick up Endless Legend soonish.

44. Cinek says:

Pillars of Eternity, War Thunder (still), possibly Banished or The Long Dark (I haven’t played since 3 patches, so got a lot to catch up and somehow I never can get around it).

45. Tiltowait says:

Elder Scrolls Online I purchased on sale on steam. I love it so far except for the crashing and occasional glitches. It won’t run at all from steam but if I run the launcher from my program files with admin privileges it works most of the time.

46. Boult Upright says:

Lego Batman 3 : Beyond Gotham with my six year old son. I get frustrated with the game from time to time but he loves it. It took us 75 hours to 100% Lego marvel Super Heroes. it could be the same timeframe for this one.

47. Niko says:

I’m playing Divinity: Original Sin interspersed with Xenoraptor and Nuclear Throne.

48. Severian says:

Diablo 3: ROS. Bought the expansion on sale over Thanksgiving and have been dipping back into this world for 30-60 min at a time. Perfect mind-relaxer after the long days of work and 3-year-old-daughter-infused insanity I’ve been suffering through lately. No reason to hate, it’s just silly fun.

49. PhilKenSebben says:

Far Cry 4 – Loving it.
    Skilltree Saga – Looked good. Haven’t fired it up yet.
    Lone Wolf – Awesome
    Freedom Wars (Vita): Awesome to play in bed or while the kids watch TV.
    Spelunky (Vita): Whoever thought it was a good idea for me to have a portable version should be shot.

50. running fungus says:

Geometry Wars 3, and now that everything looks like Tamriel, I will probably start a new playthrough of Skyrim.