Some Odd Gentlemen Are On A King’s Quest

Looks like Graham went looking for trouble in all the right places

Trailers don’t always turn me into a shrieking teenybopper, but I’m not ashamed to say I made high-pitched noises — think long, loud “EEEE”s of raw and immeasurable glee – at the King’s Quest announcement trailer. A joint production between The Odd Gentleman and the newly resurrected Sierra Games, the upcoming reboot is all about a doddering King Graham going, “In my time – ” at his granddaughter Gwendoyln while he shakes his cane-sword at shadow bunnies.

It feels like there’s a little bit of Telltale Games in the design of the characters, but that’s about as far as resemblances go. This new King’s Quest seems to moving beyond point-and-click controls, although it’s unclear where exactly it’s ended up. There’s jumping, it seems – platforming, even – and ways of preventing your death outside of the old-school “don’t click on anything stupid and make sure you toss boots at cats” method. Which could be great because more dynamism in interaction might breathe new life into the setting, or it could also be appalling because… Well, because. Modernising old favourites is a perilous business.

That said, it looks like the lads at The Odd Gentlemen scored empathic thumbs-ups from Roberta Williams herself so I’m going to err on the side of generous optimism. Who knows what the future holds? (Not a word about that mirror, damn it.)

P.S: That dragon’s a bit handsome, ain’t she?

1. SpacemanSpliff says:

I would do horrible things for a new Space Quest.

• BreadBitten says:

Even buy hundreds of copies of Destiny for everyone you love…and hate?

• Turkey says:

Yeah. Space Quest would make a pretty sweet puzzle-platformer.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

That alt-text is the God’s honest truth, because we all know that Graham Smith of RPS constantly looks for trouble and is good at finding the right places where it lurks

3. emptee says:

I have no nostalgic relations with the King’s Quest series, so this trailer does nothing for me.
    There is nothing here I can leach on to. It all look very bland and boring.

4. Nasarius says:

Yeah, I’m not thrilled about the platforming. The early King’s Quests did have a few arcade segments, but nobody liked them. If you’ve made a really good adventure game, it just seems superfluous at best. If the platforming is going to be a major component, then well…my skepticism deepens.

5. Myrdinn says:

I have no nostalgic relations with the KQ series either but I think this looks positively amazing, graphically speaking that is.

6. Sucram says:

The trailer reminds me a bit of Dragon’s Lair (the laserdisc game)

• Chaz says:

I was thinking that too. Lets hope it’s nothing like though hey.

• alms says:

Same, and I thought it looked fantastic. No, wait: FANTASTIC.

7. Turkey says:

I dunno. It seem lacking in the crate puzzle department. It’s not a King’s Quest game unless I can pick up my x-box controller and push the x button to push a crate near a ledge so I can reach it.

• B.rake says:

The devs made The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom, which is a quite good puzzle platformer in the vein of Braid. If anything is to replace the absurdist illogic humor of instadeath inventory puzzles, why not a “braid-alike”? I did find its overall attractive ‘old timey’ aesthetic overworked, which does give me some fear about the beautiful but gloomy art in the trailer here, but heartened by the sense of humor in evidence and the support of the Williamseses.

• Razumen says:

Gloomy? Certainly the colours aren’t in YO FACE EXTREME, but I wouldn’t call the trailer gloomy by any extent.

8. Hex says:

Huh, conversely to much of the preceding sentiment, I would prefer to play this game as a puzzle platformer, without any adventure game elements.

Whee!

9. B.rake says:

So glad that this is not another retro-revival Kickstarter project… s’long as it doesn’t become a console-exclusive cover-based FPS, that is.

10. Ekpyrotic Fan Fiction says:

Why is Gandalf narrating this?

Also: “Look out Graham! It’s a poiiiiisonous dragon!”

11. Cinek says:

That dragon is great. Really nice design.
    Don’t care much about the rest, though. ;)

12. Bugamn says:

I have a bad feeling about this trailer. Being King Quest (specifically the sixth) one of the first games I remember, I would rather they let it dead than revive it as a platformer.

By the way, it looks like they are going for a remake of the first game from the scenes in the trailer.

13. LionsPhil says:

That is the weirdest looking dang Sir Graham.