RE5734L3R: The Clue’s Probably Not In The Name

Don't mind our wonky resizing. Pixel art is a tricky thing.

RE5734L3R. I’ve been staring at that name for a while now. How the hell is it supposed to be pronounced? Resealer? Nope, sounds like a Ronseal product. Reliever? Nope, that’s what happens after queuing too long for the toilet. Restealer? …actually, that sounds like it might be legit. And here I was thinking we’d left the 1337speak behind in the late ’90s.

However the name is actually pronounced, this new RE5734L3R trailer is a nice little teaser for the game’s visuals. I’m rather partial to the synth soundtrack, which sounds straight out of 80s science fiction thrillers, while the pixel art visuals are quite accomplished.

On the downside it’s not hugely suggestive of what the game itself is about, although you can probably figure out some of that for yourself with the handy equation robots + bullets + 2D + interacting with computer terminals. The game’s developer bills it as a platformer with a focus on “atmosphere and exploration” with a cinematic focus, and the trailer certainly manages the latter. RE5734L3R’s is an all-robot world, too, which hopefully will involve Actual Gameplay Ramifications rather than being purely an aesthetic choice.

The game’s little robot star reminds me of the Stealth Bastard, though there’s not much stealthy about rocking up in an enormous spaceship. Mind you, King of Stealth Garrett used arrows to make things quieter, so go figure.

1. DavishBliff says:

“Restealer”. Someone who steals a thing back, I guess. Also maybe a pun with steel, since there’s a spaceship and robits.

• Gap Gen says:

I think it’s probably a far-distant future sequel “Resident Evil 5734: Los Tres Robots”

2. lowprices says:

The music was great, but Devs, PLEASE, make trailers that actually communicate what will be happening in the game you’re trying to sell. That was almost as bad as No Man’s Sky for leaving me with an overwhelming feeling of “Yes, that’s nice, but what will I actually be doing in this game?”

• Caiman says:

A C64 input interface with a ZX Spectrum loading effect? That’s like anti-matter meeting matter, isn’t it?

Whoops, meant to post that further down.

3. Tiax says:

What the hell, no mention to what this game actually is ?

link to rockpapershotgun.com

I’m so freakin’ happy it’s being made after all (hence the name, the original was called STEALER so it makes sense this one would be called RESTEALER) !

• noom says:

Thanks! Knew I’d seen this before on here but that tag wasn’t going anywhere. Had kinda assumed this would never be released. Nice to see it’s still about.

• LTK says:

Wow, it was two years ago already? I definitely remembered the first article, I’d have gone to look for it if you hadn’t already made the connection. Wish there was a newsletter or something.

Harlander says:

Did Stealer actually get released then?

• LTK says:

No, if you look at the 2012 trailer, it refers to a moddb page that’s the same as the link on the current website. Looks like they went through some iterations with the name: STEALER, 5734L3R, RE5734L3R, but it’s the same game.

• Shaun Green says:

Dang. I did rummage through the archives to see if the game had been covered previously, but I didn’t think to search for it under that title. :/

4. Shadowcat says:

“Trioptimum security forces apprehend the intruder.”

5. LTK says:

Oh that’s clever. The text on the computer console in the trailer:

**** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****

64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE

READY
    LOAD"*"
    SEARCHING FOR 5734L3R
    READY.
    PROGRAM ABANDONED BY 08--n7r6-7984

That’s the designer’s name, so I guess he’s indicating that some earlier version of STEALER/5734L3R was abandoned and the RE- prefix indicates that this is a rework. It’s impossible to tell really, the description of both games is roughly identical. The developer is no longer going by Winged Doom either. Who knows what’s been going on behind the scenes.

• oyog says:

“I guess he’s indicating that some earlier version of STEALER/5734L3R was abandoned and the RE- prefix indicates that this is a rework.”

I think that’s exactly what’s going on. After a year of silence he bumped his old Stealer thread on TIGSource.
      link to forums.tigsource.com

6. Kaeoschassis says:

Well, as a trailer for a game, fairly useless. Still, the visual style is utterly gorgeous, so there’s that. Also robots. I love me some robots.
    The presumably-an-introductory-sequence bit gave me serious flashbacks to Metroid…

• Kaeoschassis says:

Also gives me Metroids to Flashb… wait no that won’t work. Dammit.

7. klops says:

Horrible name but beats Sesevenen the movie.