Call Off The Dogs: The Witcher 3 Delayed Into May 2015

Easy, boy.

It’s good when a game is delayed, isn’t it? Unless your calendar already lists something that’ll render you unable to play games at a certain point, surely it’s better to play a game finished nicely rather than one rushed out to meet a deadline? I wish more games were delayed; too many are presented as finished but shoddy at launch, slightly spoiling that first play.

So sure, CD Projekt RED, please do delay The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt if you think it’s necessary. Again. After you said you wouldn’t, you big sillies. Previously due on February 24th, Geralt will now be riding out on May 19th, 2015.

CD Projekt explained in their announcement:

The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production. Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio’s history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly.

We owe you an apology. We set the release date too hastily. It’s a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.

Fine, fine. Sure, sure. I’ve got plenty of other things to do and goodness knows there are always a squillion other games to play. One could happily fill three months of recreation time with free games alone. I’d rather a lengthy single-player campaign be in decent shape when I set out on my adventure than need to return three months later to see what it should’ve been like all along.

In other Witcher 3 news, RED have announced something vague that you might still consider a spoiler, so don’t click this unless you want to know. Here’s a new trailer too:

Okay, any one of us might die during those two months of delay, but we’d probably have greater concerns than not getting to play The Witcher 3. For starters, where does one even find a white sheet and some jangly chains?

1. jasta85 says:

I’m fine with this, got dozens of other games that have accumulated in my library through various sales that I need to work my way through and I know the witcher 3 is going to eat up several weekends worth of game time. It’s better to get a great game later than a half done game now.

2. Cinek says:

Sounds good. Hope they’ll have a good release, I loved Witcher 2, and by all means W3 looks to be worthy a successor. The more time they have to polish it the better.

3. Orija says:

A delay is an ephemeral disappointment, as long as the end product is decent enough.

4. rustybroomhandle says:

Making games is hard. Also grammar.

5. Rymdkejsaren says:

Will give me time to get a computer that can run it. :D

6. Anthile says:

Good, I’ll probably have Inquisition played through by then. Game’s huge.

• Xantonze says:

My thoughts exactly.^^
      Better leave a few months in between two enormous single player campaigns!

• BobbyDylan says:

And GTA 5

Serrit says:

Hah yup that was my first thought on reading the headline. 125 hours into DA:I and while I *think* I’ve unlocked the final mission, there’s still a lot of quest-log cleanup I’ll faff around with first – hopefully I’ll be done by May in time for Geralt and co.

Mungrul says:

I can’t help but wonder if this is in part due to Dragon Age Inquisition and how stupidly massive it is.

• Myrdinn says:

I don’t think that CDPR is that concerned with DA:I. Everyone who was a fan of the Witcher 2 will buy this, no matter if they also dabbled in Inquisitive business.

• Anthile says:

I imagine it’s more because of the recent Ubi debacles. People are currently not very receptive for yet another buggy release. Enhanced editions are nice but it’s better if you don’t need them in the first place.

• Cinek says:

You didn’t need an EE for Witcher 2. I completed the game twice before EE came to the daylight and haven’t had a single problem with it. Though to be fair: Witcher 1 was a miserable disaster at the release date though and that one game really did need an enhanced edition to even be playable in a first place.

• KenTWOu says:

My experience with both games tells me it’s the other way around.

• Stepout says:

I’m hoping they’ve decided to implement Shadow of Mordor’s combat system. I would like to be able to do shadow strike chains in ALL games from now on.

8. Laurentius says:

Who in the world is responsible for these horrible trailers for Witcher 3 ?

• Asurmen says:

No one, because I haven’t seen a horrible trailer yet.

• SMGreer says:

Was just about to say. This may be one of the weaker trailers they’ve put out but it still oozes atmosphere and character as well as a lot of teasing for fans. That music too. Not to mention a very impressive bowl cut.

9. Wulfram says:

While it’s better for a game to be delayed that it not be, a delay often seems to be a sign that a game has issues

• Laurentius says:

Of course it has issues, also it is a first multipatform premiere for CDP so I blame consoles.

• Asurmen says:

Why “of course”?

• HothMonster says:

Because “issues” is why a game is delayed. Rarely do games get delayed because they are finished and perfect. Unless some publishers wants to change what fiscal year they make the money in.

So of course a delayed game has issues that is why you delay a game to have more time to address issues. So you don’t release a game with issues.

I feel silly saying issues this much. issues issues issues.

I have issues.

• Asurmen says:

Hoth, Laurentius is a known Witcher 3 hater who comments of every single W3 thread to remind us that he dislikes W3 which grew tedious about 10 articles ago. This isn’t “obviously has issues so needs a bit of fixing so a bit of a delay” sorts of issues. When Laurentius says issues he means more the game needs scrapping and rebuilding from the start.

10. Pich says:

Obligatory Polish joke.

11. Krazen says:

That’s okay with me. I may have a chance to finish Dragon Age: Inquisition by then .. maybe.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I know, right? When i killed my first dragon after many tries and a lot of hours spent in the game in general, a quest shown up with something like “Dragons killed 1/10”.

I guess they were serious when they said you’re not just killing 10 rats though.

12. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s alright for me, although the previous release date was very near my birthday and as such my GF at least knew what kind of present i would have enjoyed.

Thanks CDPR i now risk getting yet another hoodie or something.

13. Kreeth says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO! I _just_ ordered the great big upgrade I needed for this game because some money turned up and I figured there wouldn’t be any newer kit coming out prior to release. Curse you gods of eternally-progressing technology!

14. PopeRatzo says:

Why do they even use release dates? And why even report them?

15. sonofsanta says:

Clever of ’em to release the trailer alongside the delay announcement… with the original date intact. Whoops.

Does give me shivers, though. Must… resist… pre-order…

16. Fomorian1988 says:

Okay.

Downside: I just lost a perfect Birthday present for myself and have to wait longer for this particular very promising game.

Upside: more time for Dragon Age: Inquisition and other this year’s games (Alien: Isolation and Shadow of Mordor)!

17. BlacKHeaDSg1 says:

Anyone who own ATI GPU, please consider boycotting this game. Read more here about it:
    link to games.slashdot.org

18. Suopis says:

I bought GTX 970 specifically for Witcher 3 last week.

Should have waited for the price drop or new revisions witch are bound to happen in March =|

At least I can play Unity at 60 fps.

• Zenicetus says:

You’re not alone. I bought a GTX 970 a couple of weeks ago to replace a 560ti. I was thinking it would be nice to run DA:Inquisition and Elite Dangerous at higher settings, but it was really aimed at Witcher 3.

I could have waited til next Spring and bought it for a bit less money, or get something a little better. Although this is probably in the bang-for-buck sweet spot for GPU’s for at least a little while. Right?….. Right?