Where Do Zombies Come From? Dying Light Explains

Give grandma a hug.

“Where do zombies come from?” my little niece asked the other day. As The Cool Aunt, I thought I could handle this. “Well, small child,” I said, “when two zombies love each other very much, and want to… ah.” Sweat poured down my brow. I started over, “The thing about flesh is… no, no. Okay, so, you may have noticed that people…” If only Dying Light‘s cinematic intro had arrived in trailer form a little sooner, I might be welcome at this year’s family Christmas dinner.

Dying Light’s the next open-world zombie shooter from Dead Island creators Techland, this time with parkour, grappling hooks, and rushing to get things done before the sun goes down and the real nasties come out. Dead Island is continuing at other developers, fragmented into sequels and spin-offs by publishers Deep Silver, who own it.

[Psst, hey, can we sidebar a bit? This is one of the sorts of posts I struggle to write. Yes, it’s a fluff trailer, but it’s a game I know a fair few people are keen to play, and one folks might fancy discussing together. We haven’t posted about Dying Light in two months, so a “Hey this video exists anyway wanna chat about it with your fellow lovely readers?” post is a nice thing to have, isn’t it? Perhaps if my introductory lie was more entertaining. Oh, I don’t know!]

Dying Light is due on January 27th. If you watch this intro now, from your very first play you can confidently mash Escape while the game loads to skip the inevitable half-dozen splash screens.

1. Dan Griliopoulos says:

[RE: The sidebar. Yeah, it’s a problem. The huge marketing dollar spend on AAA means that we’re all familiar with the bigger titles, so the press are obliged to cover these titles at the expense of the often more interesting small titles. I think as long as you don’t post every bloody trailer though we’re okay with it.]

• Melody says:

I agree. On the other hand, I really wouldn’t mind if RPS ignored most AAA trailers, or grouped them up in one big post, one per game or perhaps one a week.
      Maybe I’m saying this just because my taste doesn’t align with AAA gaming anymore (for the most part), but I also have issues with the concept of building hype and the hype industry as a whole*, as opposed to simply letting people know that a thing exists or describing a particular mechanic that characterizes a certain game. (The difference can get blurry, I admit)
      On the other hand, with AC Black Flag the amount of trailers was beyond ridiculous, and I’d have really liked RPS to stop making a post for each and every one of them.

In short, I don’t think you *have* to post big AAA trailers just because “a fair few people are keen to play” it. Especially if you’re not enthusiastic about the game yourself/yourselves.

In other news, your lies are great, Alice. Please, do lie to us more, we like it a lot :D

* The hype industry being that thing that tries to convince you that your iphone 6 is worthless now that 7 is out, and it has all these features you don’t need, and that you aren’t really living unless you buy the iphone 7 NOW. In gaming it often manifests itself as “I have 100s of games, but I can’t game anymore unless I get this new game that is coming out today and that will make all my previous games worthless and irrelevant!”

• Xantonze says:

This. No more useless trailers please. We can find them anywhere, they fill up the front page and make me miss better posts.

I dunno, maybe you need clicks or whatever, but as a supporter, I would’nt mind an option to hide this kind of posts entirely.

Cheers

• Ansob says:

I’d absolutely love it if RPS just did a single weekly AAA press release/trailer roundup post and otherwise didn’t bother posting them. That’s a fantastic idea.

• plugmonkey says:

Amen.

• DanMan says:

Yeah, this. But not embedded please – think of the load times and the poor, little, sweaty Internet goblins that have to transport all the videos across the Internet Oceans.

I don’t care about this particular game, nor its trailers. But the intro made me click it, so there…

DuncUK says:

I came here to post this. “AAA trailer roundup” seems like a good name… dedicated posts seem daft if all you have to say is “there’s a new trailer”.

Then again, if you get page clicks and ad revenue from the current system, I can’t begrudge you keeping things as is.

Henke says:

The problem with rounding a whole bunch of trailers up in 1 post is that it discourages discussion of individual trailers/games. 1 post for 1 trailer is likely to spark more discussion than if people have to wade through a bunch of other stuff just to find comments about the one game they’re interested in. I like that RPS mixes AAA and indie titles as freely as they do, and hope they keep doing so. I think we can leave it to the writers’ discretion to choose what gets posted about and what doesn’t.

• Buffer117 says:

RPS is a news outlet to me, and although I may care about the subject matter more, I treat it like any other. If the preview of the post doesn’t interest me, I don’t open it.

In my mind there’s always a place for content that may interest people, just because it doesn’t interest me, I have no issue with other peoples needs being served.

• plugmonkey says:

Oh, no. There’s no room for other people’s interests. Just mine.

(I thought they were probably polling what people’s individual interests were, in order to gauge what the need was. We’re all tolerant, big people too, but if nobody cares there’s not much point posting it.)

• Buffer117 says:

I wasn’t replying to the article, but the post I replied to saying “I don’t think you *have* to post big AAA trailers just because “a fair few people are keen to play” it. Especially if you’re not enthusiastic about the game yourself/yourselves.”

• Neurotic says:

I think one solution could be to do a once-a-week post collecting all of that week’s AAA trailers etc, and push it out on the weekend when content is scarce because everybody is, as the wisdom goes, Outside. That way you can fulfil your obligations to the industry and to those readers who like to see such things.

• Timbrelaine says:

Pfft, the introductory lie was great. Perhaps too great; I really don’t even care about Dying Light, yet here I am. For trailers though, I agree with other suggestions of collating them into fewer posts.

Qazinsky says:

I kinda agree with Alices justification here, it was a long time since this particular game was posted about, sure, toss in some new fluff trailer to give us a “Hey, this is something to look forward to” to talk about, but there is really no reason to post EVERY trailer if they’re released as often as some game trailers are.

As long as you make sure to slap all the actual gameplay or gimmick presenting trailers in a post, feel free to skip all teasers and nongameplay trailers imo.

(Also nice to see that Alice can come up with new interesting introducing ‘lies’ when she seems to write so many of the day to day posts, keep up the good work, ENTERTAIN US!)

2. satan says:

You could have killed two birds with one stone and told her that zombies are a horrible Christmas experiment gone wrong in Santa’s workshop, the zombies killed Santa and all his elves and now the undead march on humanity, and only thanks to the combined efforts of the northern nations do we prevent the zombie apoc- … wait, when did I start talking about Game of Thrones?

Bluerps says:

Zombies are, of course, delivered by stork. No one knows where storks come from, though.

I think posts like this one are fine, as long as there aren’t too many of them. Which has never been the case, so far – I never thought that RPS posted too many trailers, or anything like that.

4. Turkey says:

We’re all zombies. Wake up, people!

9/11 was an inside job!!

5. plugmonkey says:

It pretty much comes down to whether you are brought up atheist or Christian (other religions are available).

That’s what determines the choice between the accidentally (or is it?) released bioweapon and the classic When There Is No More Room In Hell

(Sidebar: I pretty much come to RPS for exactly the sort of things in the Bestest Best list. Stuff that’s more than the run of the mill. When a AAA game does something to stand out, like Wolfenstein, then I want to know about it. If it’s just the latest marketing fluff, I don’t much care.)

6. Hex says:

Hey, that’s clever, they shaped the city to spell out its own name.

Whee.

7. Monggerel says:

… that it is so frail, it’s hardly more than a dream?