Write ‘Em Up: Elegy For A Dead World Released

'butts', 'buttlessness,' and 'butts came'.

“Wander around weird worlds looking at stuff then write about that” sounds like my job, but it’s also Elegy for a Dead World. Trapped on distant and dead alien worlds inspired by Romantic poets, our intrepid explorer wanders around, wondering what happened there and how they once were. Then we write little notes for other players to read, sharing our visions. Our John quite liked the build he played back when it was Kickstarting. Elegy launched today, costing about a tenner.

The three very different worlds are inspired by Keats, Shelley, and Byron, weird landscapes covered in alien buildings, mysterious machinery, and strange sculptures. Or are they all sculptures. Or all machinery. Or. Who even knows? It doesn’t really matter. Trapped there, all we can do is explore and describe what we’ve found.

At certain points, the game prompts you to write, and that’s what matters. It might have you complete a sentence, starting you off with perhaps a prompt about the landscape, or give you a big empty space to fill. Later, other players will get to read what you write. As John said:

It’s lovely to write your own short tale, but it can be even more fun to then read how many other people interpreted the same material. Just how diverse it can be, how vividly different from your own their imagination might be.

Elegy for a Dead World costs £9.89 on Steam, including a launch discount, or $15.00 (£9.50) via Humble. The Humble way will give you a Steam key now then a DRM-free offline version in March 2015. Hey, here’s a weird thing: it’s made by Dejobaan Games, the folks you might know best for their fall ’em up AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! series.

1. Jockie says:

Was momentarily confused why RPS were reviewing the newest Smashing Pumpkins album.

tigerfort says:

Surely AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! is a fall-em-down? Falling up is called flying.

3. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

This is out already? When I hear about Kickstarter projects I just file them into long-term storage. I just might take advantadge of that launch discount.

4. Synesthesia says:

This sounds pretty good. I hope people don’t ruin it as always.

• Ross Angus says:

Depends upon what you think of the alt text. Can you ruin a ruined world?

Sorry – I forgot where I was for a moment. This is the internet.

Arnvidr says:

Whaaaat? I’ve had this on my wishlist for a while, and I checked in just a few days ago. It still said it was to be released Q1 2015. Oh well, I’m not complaining!

• strangeloup says:

Yeah, they released it a few months early, though the Kickstarter update gave no particular explanation for this other than it being done sooner than they expected, which might be a KS first.

I haven’t played it yet because I’m not sure I’d be able to resist filling in the blanks with rude words. I am terribly mature.

6. Cinek says:

*after the trailer* sometimes I have an impression that real scientists do the same.

This vase sagnify their hubris. They believed their king was immortal.

7. Randomer says:

Anyone know who did the soundtrack for this, or where a person could pick it up (independent of the game)? The music in the trailer is awesome!