Walking Simulator With A Gun: Ultimate Pâté

How tranquil!

Ultimate Pâté is a free walking simulator with a gun. It’s a big gun too, a double-barrelled shotgun. You can use it to kill exotic and whimsical animals like flamingos and unicorns. To process into cheap pâté. And yet… I do think it’s a walking simulator rather than a hunting game. We wander around low-fi woods, follow skittish animals, and listen to soft music in sterotypical walking simulator ways, so I feel a giddy transgressive thrill whipping out a shotgun to blow away a magical horse.

It is a pretty valley we explore, crammed with trees turning red, lush grass flecked with flowers, giant spotted mushrooms, and flitting insects. The sun glares in a bright blue sky. The low-res filter makes it difficult to see far, but we can hear footsteps from far away and chase distant moving pixels hoping to find animals. Spotting these goofy creatures and crouching down to hide ourselves and watch them mosey about is lovely. And then we can shoot them. We shoot them real good.

Oh, it’s a silly little joke, but as someone who plays a lot of walking simulators (you have no idea how many I’ve chosen not to post so I don’t overwhelm y’all) I enjoyed it a lot. My understanding of hunting is that it’s mostly an excuse to swan about in the woods anyway.

Marine Desmolin and Clément Duquesne made Ultimate Pâté for this past weekend’s Ludum Dare 31 game jam, where the theme “entire game on one screen” inspired 2,637 games. Crumbs. I imagine we look at a more of those as we come across them.

It’s free and short and playable in your browser, and I think might give you a few minutes of fun.

phuzz says:

Ah, but can I hunt animals from the back of an elephant?
    No? Back to FC4 for me then.

2. RARARA says:

I love how RPS has turned the previously derogatory term ‘Walking Simulator’ into an endearing one. And now calling an FPS a walking-simulator-with-a-gun is going to make arbitrary arbitrators of what counts as games sooo maaad.

3. Shazbut says:

Played for 20 seconds, saw nothing, and fell into an inescapable crevice. Hmmm….

4. Monggerel says:

♫ These guns are made for walking and that’s just what they’ll do… ♫

Harlander says:

In the comments about another game from the One Screen LD, someone said “Pixels are gaming’s impressionism”.

This seems like another point in favour of that idea.

• GameCat says:

Not always.
      Look at almost any arcade game, Metal Slug for exaple. These pixels are so detailed that they hardly count as impressionism.

But then there are so called “8bit indie games”…

Serrit says:

Enjoyed that, very peaceful and lovely (well at least until I got wind of some prey and, somewhat guiltily, lined up my shotgun). The zoom effect worked well for spotting distant things too (which more often than not turned out to be mushrooms rather than unicorns – such is life!).

7. cardboardartisan says:

“you have no idea how many I’ve chosen not to post so I don’t overwhelm y’all”

POST THEM ALL

IN A BULLET POINTED LIST

POSSIBLY ACCOMPANIED BY SHORT DESCRIPTIONS

8. Ejia says:

There ought to be a companion game where you hunt ambulatory fruit to turn into wine.

I wonder how flamingo tastes when braised in a wine sauce…

9. donkeyspaceman says:

Anyone have a link to the LD entry page? I’d like to rate it.

10. Charles de Goal says:

Un jeu qui envoie du pâté.

11. Cloudiest Nights says:

Found this beaut of a walking simulator. it’s all still images, but it evokes a Myst vibe.

link to tfurmanskigmailcom.itch.io

Phasma Felis says:

For the record, a black sheep, two foxes, a flamingo, and a giraffe produces “Pate Discount,” while two flamingos, two giraffes, and unicorn (and an awful lot of sternly ignored foxes) produces “Pate Exotique.”

That’s all I’ve tried so far. I’m wondering if there’s more tiers.