Elite Dangerous Launch Video More Dangerous Than Game

Oh, the casual disregard for meaning that forms the backbone of marketing. This Elite: Dangerous launch trailer doesn’t mark the launch of the game, because that happens next week on December 16th. It’s game-like footage doesn’t actually show the game, since it’s all pre-rendered. And it’s not representative of the activities you’ll perform in the game because you can’t walk about on foot and while it’s certainly capable of spinning frantic space battles, it’s mostly a game about being an intergalactic courier.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the game that way and I don’t mind a bit of a light show for its own sake, so watch the trailer below.

For balance, now watch Brendan’s video of what most of your time in Elite: Dangerous will look like, taken from his diary series:

Frontier’s trailer isn’t untrue, it’s just that the reality of Elite is that it has more in common with Euro Truck Simulator 2 – more the start of Phantom Menace, less the end of Return of the Jedi – than a camera swooping after dogfighters suggests.

As noted above, I like that. I loved Euro Truck Simulator 2 and I am looking forward to bumming around spaceports like a scruffy-looking nerfherder, listening to the radio, and eyeing the news board. That’s more my cup of space than whirling around in circles while firing lasers at the tail in front.

Still, Frontier should get Sean Bean to narrate a second launch trailer.

Top comments

1. setnom says:

Now with added honesty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZeO-4F45WM
  1. wondermoth says:

“And She Was” is a very strange Talking Heads song to use as a soundtrack. I’d recommend “Don’t Worry About The Government”, “Found A Job”, “Life During Wartime”, or “Air”. “Road To Nowhere” is too obvious.

• SigmaCAT says:

I found that Poni Hoax’s “Images of Sigrid” is one of the best songs I ever heard inside a spaceship.

I was playing FTL at the time, and found the melancholy suited the game very well. link to youtube.com

I should really buy ED.

• Smashbox says:

“The Great Curve,” obviously

2. karnak says:

Where’s the initially promised, offline single-player mode, mr. Braben?

• Asurmen says:

Not happening?

• Keiggo says:

Haven’t you heard? Etc.

• Nasarius says:

By the way, I’d strongly urge anyone to check out the Kickstarter comments and the “refund experiences” thread on the support forum, if you’re interested in what kind of company this is. Frontier’s behavior regarding refunds continues to be completely despicable.

• Amatyr says:

I certainly think those threads show how patient Frontier are with a screaming minority.

• airmikee says:

By ‘screaming minority’ you mean the people that were lied to with a bait and switch tactic by a sleazy developer?

• Humanji says:

It’s hardly a lie when they planned offline single player, and then later discovered that it just wasn’t viable. It sucks, yes. But it wasn’t an evil plan to steal from people from the start. Instead of having hissy fits, if people calmed down and acted a bit more reasonable, then refunds would be a lot more easily obtained.

• Horg says:

”Instead of having hissy fits, if people calmed down and acted a bit more reasonable, then refunds would be a lot more easily obtained.”

Are we victim blaming over this now? How a consumer acts when asking for a refund is largely irrelevant. If the company is obliged to offer a refund (which Frontier irrefutably are), then they need to hand over the money regardless of weather the consumer is the nicest human alive or the biggest jackass alive.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The ones who really needed an offline mode and genuinely would never have purchased the game are indeed a minority.

Wanna know why i said “purchased” instead of backed? because a very big slice of those who want a refund are still perfectly willing to consider a later purchase, they just want their backer money back now that they’ve used their “benefits”.

I could be wrong, but i totally think such people really are a big bunch, mostly because the rest of the world is not a cozy place like RPS filled with reasonable people with sane ethics.

I’m in no way defending Frontier there, they are the ones in the wrong.

• Stellar Duck says:

People have been victim blaming this from the start.

Having said that, after a lot of hassle (feels like a months worth of back and forth but I’m not sure), I literally a few minutes ago got my refund wired to my paypal and sent it on to my account. At least the 40€ for the game. I was willing to settle for paying for beta access but I can understand if some are not. I just couldn’t be arsed with a legal fight with a multimillion dollar company in a different country. They’d outlawyer me in a moment.

• aleander says:

But it wasn’t an evil plan to steal from people from the start.

And we should care about the quality of their business plan exactly why? Do I look like the EU innovation fund or something?

In case you wonder, one of the things you can insure yourself is the impact of unexpected situations like this — and “hey, could they have expected it before” would be a totally right thing for the *insurance company* then. But the businesses viability is not the consumers concern, and most definitely not when dealing with anything larger than a small restaurant.

• airmikee says:

RE: Humanji

“But it wasn’t an evil plan to steal from people from the start.”

Maybe not from the very start, but this couldn’t have been a brand new revelation to them. I find it hard to believe that a game could even get halfway done before knowing that it would be ‘all server side calculations’ or ‘offline single player possible’.

The quotes from Braben about offline play, and how annoyed he finds it when companies make games that rely upon a single server connection suddenly dried up MONTHS AGO, and yet blatantly all over the Kickstarter page and their forums multiple representatives from the company (other than Braben) expressed that offline play would still be possible.

At some point, MONTHS AGO, people at the top knew offline play would not be possible, and they did nothing about it. They continued to advertise the product as including a feature they knew it did not contain, and would not be able to support.

You’re welcome to disagree, but to me, that’s bait and switch. It’s no skin off my teeth, I like that Early Access programs exist so I can see games as they’re developing, but there’s no way you could pry a quarter out of my cold, dead hands to put toward an unfinished video game. And that’s specifically because of things exactly like this situation, where a developer makes promises for months, and then flipflops better than any politician after raking in the cash.

• karnak says:

I wonder how the “agreeing majority” will react when FD closes the servers in a couple of years from now (stopping people from playing the game ever again).

Perhaps there will be plenty more screams then.

• jonfitt says:

Well yes. That would be the appropriate time.

• Smashbox says:

Your outrage is boring. Don’t buy it. If you bought a game that was in development, don’t be shocked. OR just get a refund.

Bush bash bosh, they’re not evil.

• Horg says:

”OR just get a refund.”

You realise that Frontier are being obstructive over refunds, and that’s why people are angry, right?

• Smashbox says:

No I didn’t

The angry DID buy a game that wasn’t finished.

i don’t feel particularly sympathetic. We’ve all had time to come to terms with crowdfunding and early access at this point, right?

• karnak says:

Another reason for my outrage is due to the fact that all this mess has led some people to promise to never support any Kickstarter projects again, due to feelings of having been duped by Braben.

Sometimes it just takes a couple rotten apples to rot the entire basket.

Kickstarter, as a support platform for creative ideas may have loosed some strength because of this story.

• Stellar Duck says:

Smashbox, it’s not just about backing and early access. I purchased the game on their store after spending a considerable time making sure there would be an offline mode.

Had the game sucked when I got to play it that would be a shame but not really a big issue as that happens. But when they strip the feature I based my purchase on, and in a way that makes it clear that they actually knew it’d be going for a long while and still took peoples money, I certainly feel I’m entitled to a refund.

We can argue if I’m right in calling it a scam (selling the game billed with offline even after knowing it’d get cut) but the product certainly wasn’t the product I purchased any longer. Happily, I got my refund just half an hour ago so I no longer give a toss about Frontier, aside from voicing my support to the unfortunates still fighting a shitty company for their money.

• derbefrier says:

I finally got a refund this week after about 3 weeks(well its not in my bank account yet but its settled). Not a full refund though. I did not get the whole 75 bucks for beta access but only the cost of the game which is 50 bucks. I figured that was fair. It did take a long time but since they were under no obligation to refund me at all in the first place I am walking away happy and harbor no ill feelings towards them.

• Smashbox says:

So wait until games are finished before buying them!

• P.Funk says:

Jeeze. Don’t buy an unfinished game. Whats so hard about that?

Its not like there’s a factory that produces finished versions of Elite Dangerous to kickstarter spec and they said “Sorry, the tooling for the offline single player has worn down and we won’t be making anymore”. Software is not a manufactured product. Its basically a service wrapped in packaging.

Most consumers don’t pay for services up front, they pay once the service is delivered. If people looked at game development in the kickstarter sphere like they’re supporting the service of a game being designed rather than paying up front for an as yet unrealized game then maybe they could get their tantrums in order and just ho hum through a sober and unemotional refund. I don’t flip tables when I eat an overcooked steak, I just politely complain. I worked in a restaurant too. Those people who get belligerent about overcooked steak look like idiots too.

You’ve all had a bad consumer experience, the product won’t be what you expected or were promised. Work the system, get your refund and walk away. Internet tantrums are unbecoming the seriousness of the tone.

• Horg says:

”If people looked at game development in the kickstarter sphere like they’re supporting the service”

UK consumer law does not recognise kickstarter products as a service, therefore consumers should not feel obliged to consider them so.

• vlonk says:

@ P.Funk software IS treated as a manufactured good from a legal perspective. Maybe that is not true on your side of the planet, but in the EU this is the legal opinion. There is a reason why all the legal theories (in Germany at least) about software law where originally taken from architecture and construction law…
            There are strong forces working on undermining these principles of accountability and responsibility with ASP and SaaS in the age of cloud computing. But where consumers are involved and lumps of money are handed over up front you can rest assured that promises need to be kept.

• Nasarius says:

They’re “screaming” because Frontier is taking 3+ weeks to respond to a refund request, and then denying them for absurd, trivial reasons.

If it’s such a tiny minority, then they should at minimum be responding much, much quicker.

There’s no way in the world that the few thousand pounds they’re insisting on keeping from unhappy customers outweighs the massively negative PR this is causing. Even from a purely practical business perspective, this has been an awful decision.

• Astaria says:

Sooo many industry shills and hateful fanbois in these kickstarter launch threads. Why can’t people just be happy that there are new games coming out all the time?

Muussst… destroy… other games…………..

• Kempston Wiggler says:

…Because we’re not lobotomised morons?

• vlonk says:

link to youtube.com
            I love this speech, I really do.
            @ Astaria: Why did I post this video?

• Astaria says:

No idea. You have a grandiose opinion of yourself?

• vlonk says:

Are you against liberty or against order my friend? Who is oppressing and who is the oppressed in your opinion?

You are campaigning against “this nonsense campaign”. Maybe you can find some sense with a different point of view. Here have another on this topic link to youtube.com

• jrodman says:

*plonk*

3. Anthile says:

Those poor people who buy this now and expect something Star Wars-y from it. Fits right in there with Dead Island and Dragon Age Origins when it comes to bizarre and misleading trailers.

• farrier says:

Or a WoW trailer. But I think with WoW, people are conditioned to it by now…? I think this trailer could lead to more sales than a trailer of actual game footage, but also so many disappointed buyers.

If you haven’t been involved in the beta/gamma, for your own sake do your homework (as you should before buying any game). Personally I think the game’s OK, the universe doesn’t feel lived in, but it’s fine. If you want a game like this trailer though, stay away.

4. Llewyn says:

Following the discussion started by Alice in her post the other day about trailers, I’m ever-so-slightly disappointed to see RPS posting advertising for this of all games, at least until Frontier resolve their refund process in a satisfactory manner.

• Laurentius says:

You shouldn’t be b/c RPS despite admonishing a lot of games, never stops from doing their PR part.

Graham Smith says:

If this was about doing PR, would I have opened by explaining that the trailer is misrepresentative and then embedded a directly contradictory trailer below it?

I posted about it anyway because I liked the video. Is it a lot like the normal experience of playing the game? On the whole, no, but it /can/ produce similarly fighty moments, I like the thing it does the rest of the time, and I enjoyed the video for its own sake because spaceships woosh.

• Laurentius says:

Nevertheless, trailer is here like they are always are.

Graham Smith says:

No, they are not always here. I skip over three dozen trailers a day, but post the ones I like for the games I like. You are welcome to dislike either, but it’s not PR.

• SuicideKing says:

And I watched it and I liked it like I sometimes do when my brain says “hey i’m interested to see what RPS think is interesting here”.

Other times I just go about my business, like one would normally.

• jonfitt says:

I liked it too. It’s a fun bit of fluff. I remember when many games had intro movies that were in no way representative of the game, but they get you into the fiction. Watch the Mechwarrior 2 intro and the game back to back it’s the same sort of thing.

I don’t complain when a TF2 video shows a slick game of TF2 being played that looks like nothing I’ve seen in my 100s of hours there. I say “cool” because it looks slick.

I don’t know if you’ve seen any TV adverts for Xbox games, but they’re largely the same level of unrepresentative and they can be fine too.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I think millions of (aware) consumers would agree with me here: misleading ads are not the way to advertise a product, ever. You just sound like you’re used to the Video Game Marketing Hype Machine and its crusty ways.

• jonfitt says:

How is it misleading? It says in block letters “Not actual game footage”.
            It is on the more comical end of inspirational trailers because it’s so far from the real experience of the game, but it’s only misleading if you want to be mislead.
            Also if “millions” of aware consumers get steamed up by this sort of thing, then I guess they’re just constantly PO’d about the last 100 years of advertising. I’m afraid Axe body spray will not make you attractive, giant hamsters do not drive Kia’s, and puppies and ducks do not play with toilet paper in the snow.
            Since when did anybody decide that advertising should only be produced by Werner Herzog explaining that the product will only partially distract you from the inevitably of your death. Geez, lighten up. Spaceships, woo!
            Spaceship!

• aleander says:

It says in block letters “Not actual game footage”.

In tiny type, during a sequence that looks like prelude to actual game footage? Are you for real?

Geez, lighten up.

I have this idea where everyone has an implant that will set them on fire whenever they say that to someone.

• Yargh says:

I too enjoyed the trailer, not because it represented expected gameplay but because it was all about the spaceships zooming around prettily and showing how lovely a craft those ancient 3D line art space ships can make when rendered in the modern day.

• Zenicetus says:

“Is it a lot like the normal experience of playing the game? On the whole, no, but it /can/ produce similarly fighty moments”

No, it can’t, and that’s why it’s deceptive advertising. There are flight maneuvers shown in that trailer that are impossible in the actual game, like the Cobra pilot throwing his joystick over and doing that cool-looking 180 degree flip in one second. Try doing that in the game. It’s not even remotely similar; it’s like turning a barge. Which is intentional game design, and it works okay within the context of the actual game, but it’s not what they’re showing here.

If this was a car racing sim, and the trailer showed cars doing things that were outlandish and impossible in the actual game, would RPS care? Or is that just “business as usual” for game trailers, and everyone gets a pass now?

• Cinek says:

On the whole, no, but it /can/ produce similarly fighty moments” – it actually can’t. Like: Nowhere near anything shown in this trailer.
          Want some few samples? For a beginning – your “character” doesn’t exist. There’s no such thing as walking anywhere or anything of that sorts. Secondly: Stations are no-fight zones. Third – ambushes like that one under the station? Not gonna happen, you’ll see them long before any chance of getting trapped happens. Flight model? Sorry, that’s not Elite, it’s some random arcade shooter. And so on, and so on….

• Asherie says:

You can’t correct every person who’s wrong online, so just ignore them all and save yourself the stress. Your frequent readers know you don’t do anything shady, so essentially you’re giving the naughty kids/trolls all the attention and encouraging it. Ya get me?

• Chorltonwheelie says:

I’ve been playing the Combat Tutorial Demo and it looks pretty much just like that.
        I hope the game isn’t all like that as I’m looking forward to lazily bumming around space in a drunken fashion.

(when I say pretty much I mean..errr….a bit…if you squint)

5. setnom says:

Now with added honesty: link to youtube.com

• 2late2die says:

Haha, that’s brilliant! :)

• airmikee says:

That trailer makes it hard for me to distinguish ED from X or Evochron, aside from one of them requiring me to be online in order to spend most of my time traveling between objectives. I agree with what 2late2die says below, Star Citizen is still looking to be what this misleading ED trailer shows.

• farrier says:

Flying feels parsecs better in ED than it does in X3. But the universe is empty in comparison. Particularly with the mods that are available for X3. And, of course, ED won’t support mods.

• Cinek says:

Sad truth.
          X3 has some really dense moments and it’s universe is packed with content. You seen this scene around the asteroid in this trailer? I had somewhat-similar moment when pirates attacked my asteroid mining base. It was full of… stuff! My fighters chasing the enemies, warship spraying space with shells, and me swinging between the structures hoping to catch enemy fighters… sure, graphics weren’t as great as in the trailer, but still – X3 provided me with moments that were so much closer to this trailer than anything Elite can possibly do.

And mind you – I was playing vanilla Terran Conflict, so it’s not thanks to the mods. Vanilla X3 still provides you with some amazing experiences if you are there to challenge the AI and dig into the game!

• Horg says:

They had me at ”faker than Top Gear”.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Meh, it’s not like YouTube isn’t full to the brim of ED’s gameplay videos. I say let’s allow them a harmless Top Gear trailer for once.

But hey, people probably shouldn’t listen to me, i backed both this and SC and as such i’m some kind of a weird alien in there.

• stoopiduk says:

Came here to post Jag’s video, am happy to see it here already!

RPS has some very creative giraffes.

• SuicideKing says:

Hahaha that was awesome. And yes, Star Wars with rock music is a very apt description of this trailer.

• Psychomorph says:

This is exactly my thoughts when I watched this stupid and offensive trailer.

The indie revolution is dead, guys.

• phelix says:

The comments on that video, oh dear.

• Cinek says:

Elite: Fanboys Strike Back!
        Buahahaha. Seems like the more Frontier screws up the more aggressive fanboys become.

6. 2late2die says:

Hmmm, I have to say, it really is a misleading trailer. I’m enjoying the game, but people buying it based on what that trailer shows probably won’t.

Incidentally, while I do like ED, I’m kinda loving the fact that SC will be looking, in-game, like this rendered trailer does – down to the pilots walking up to the ships. (and I don’t want to get into the whole ED vs SC thing, I think there’s a place for both games, and I like them both for different reasons)

• Humanji says:

Yeah, I really got the feeling from the trailer that they were looking directly at Star Citizen and trying to win over fans of that, instead of advertising the actual game they made.

• karnak says:

Likely.
        If Chris Roberts manages to fulfill his promises “Star Citizen” will obliterate “Elite 4” in a record time.

• Horg says:

Now there’s an ”if” that can be seen from space. I hope he pulls off even half of what he’s got planned but I sure as hell wont be putting money down in advance.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

“In a record time”. You mean in a year or two’s time? (Maybe more for some features.)

Sorry, sorry, couldn’t resist, I do genuinely hope both games are good.

• SuicideKing says:

Nah actually that was exactly what I thought. It’s releasing at a different point in time altogether, so “record time” is like…quite a long playing record (tried a pun, yes).

• Zenicetus says:

I doubt that Star Citizen will put much of a dent in Elite’s popularity, because a significant portion of that popularity is due to the singleplayer and private PvE group options. Elite is essentially a singleplayer game with optional mutliplayer if you want it.

Star Citizen if a full-on MMO, with an optional walled-off, scripted singleplayer game in Squadron 42. The priorities are reversed, so they can each attract different types of gamers.

• Cinek says:

FYI: Star Citizen will have a full, proper single-player offline mode unlike Elite. With player-owned servers and it’s own modding community. It’s not “full-on MMO” to any degree (you don’t even have a massive amount of players in a single instance). It’s more like a clan-oriented multiplayer game.

What I think you are trying to say is that online component of Elite isn’t oriented on a clans and large groups of players – which in deed is something attractive for many people and I doubt they will leave Elite for something that’s much more focused on socializing people and playing in a groups.

• airmikee says:

You have that all backwards, ya know?

Elite is an MMO, requiring an internet connection and being online to play. Single player is possible, but it’s still online. Elite does not offer private servers, otherwise I’d buy the game, set up my own offline server, and play the game offline that way. Not possible though, in order to play Elite one MUST be connected to Frontier’s server.

Star Citizen, from the Kickstarter page itself, IS NOT AN MMO.

“Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.”

• Kaeoschassis says:

Elite isn’t really ah MMO… It’s more of an O. It’s not “massively multiplayer” in any traditional sense and doesn’t even have to be multiplayer at all.

On the other hand you just used Star Citizen’s Kickstarter page as a reference for what the game is or is not which, considering the article you’re commenting on, is sort of ironic, y’know?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I think that learning to never trust a game by its pre-rendered trailer is a lesson all gamers need.

7. karl.mai says:

Although the trailer is misleading, I must say in my experience with the game I’ve had some epic space battle moments that made me wow. I get the vibe that allot of the player base for this game have the same mentality as the standard EVE carebear and would rather have the game being more about exploration, trade, mining and hauling cargo more than about combat. I enjoy those other aspects of the game as well but believe as in any multiplayer game with ships that go pew, eventually you are going to get groups of people doing combat on larger scale (especially as the consequences of losing a ship aren’t as steep as in EVE or other games).

8. Astaria says:

Calling this launch teaser misleading is pretty close to a slur. If you want to talk about misleading, have a look at that latest EVE video. Like that scene is EVER going to happen in that game, lol.

• TechnicalBen says:

I’d argue certain genres require “imagination” or more abstraction. A pen and paper game or an RPG with text based or a game with FMV. They do push out the boundaries, as it’s about what the player imagines the numbers and text actually represent.

This is a flight sim. It’s not abstracting away the flight with “You arrived at Alpha Centuri after 50 years of travel, your family grew on the colony ship…” point and click adventure.

As others have said, car games do similar with cut scenes. But it’s rather unfair if said car game showed a race with 15 cars, and in game had 4. People would be slightly concerned. Similar here (though not in number of players, more in specific fidelity… it’s not “in games” which is really sad!).

• FireStorm1010 says:

If you mean link to youtube.com , its very truthul to the game, just at its best. I ahve experienced nearly exactly same stuff that was shown in the video. Ofc it doesnt happen every day, just once in a week or 2 weeks, if you play nearly every day…But it was imho a true and great trailer to show poeple hwo Eve is at its best.

• Cinek says:

“its very truthul to the game” – I wouldn’t go overboard with that. But it is much closer to the actual game than Elite trailer. Heck: these days almost every single trailer I seen is closer to the actual game than Elite trailer. lol

9. ironman Tetsuo says:

Would someone like to point me in the direction of a CGI launch trailer that is exactly like the game itself? This article just seems like an echo chamber for the whiny kids on the FD forum…

Assassins Creed Untiy has a trailer featuring assassinations and CoD:AW trailer has an actual plot! Shock horror. It’s almost like these things don’t come with a big disclaimer reading “Not InGame Footage”, oh wait…

Harlander says:

The article seems like an echo chamber?

Where only one person’s talking? What, so Graham’s words seemed to have an unusual amount of reverb or something?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Maybe he posted it so all the butthurts would come out of the woodwork for our amusement.

10. Arithon says:

Apart from the “walking around” at the start (which will be in a later expansion) the combat, mining and space stations shown, are all in the game and have been since the BETA.

Graham, to say “it’s mostly a game about being an intergalactic courier.” tells me either you haven’t played it much or you didn’t try any bounty hunting, combat or exploration.

Get a kill-warrant scanner and an FSD Interdictor and go hunting. Courier! ROFL

• aleander says:

That’s actually more of a problem: it looks enough like the game to fool someone, but actual experience is nothing like that. For example, Cobra would never spin that fast, and the station would blow you from the sky in seconds if you tried doing any of that stuff anywhere near it.

• Leonick says:

Indeed, no Cobra will pull of those manoeuvres, no ship will. That’s probably my biggest issue with it, showing one of the more in-agile ships as being more agile than anything that is actually in the game. I kind of wish the ships were all a bit agile.

You also can’t go to supercruise instantly and you wouldn’t get to a station within a second unless you were within 1000km, and you won’t find any asteroids that close to a station.

• Thurgret says:

If only bounty hunting didn’t make everyone (including the people you’re working for, in some cases) dislike you, as it does at the moment.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Have you ever known anyone to be friends with a bounty hunter?

• MickeyPaul says:

Amen brother! Some of the combat in conflict zones or around resource extraction sites/nav beacons is absolutely thrrrrrilling. Or, or, or, chipping away at a mighty Dropship in a wee Sidewinder with loaned lasers for 20 minutes whilst your cockpit fizzes and smokes. *THUD* The action and excitement is there IF you want it AND it all looks and sounds utterly gorgeous. *SWOON*

There are parts that really annoy me still (the missions…. urrrgh) but my goodness their galaxy makes me tremble with fear and love and rage and joy and and and…. I love feeling things. That trailer moistened my undies real good imo. S’all.

I’ll edit this probably. Mental.

11. geldonyetich says:

I need a version of that trailer where the pilot is walking calmly away from their ship exploding in the background.

In space.

12. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Confusing, it’s a pretty darn, er, pretty game anyway (from what I’ve seen of actual gameplay videos) so I’m not sure why they felt the need to do a prerendered one. Oh well, I knew about the game already so it’s probably not aimed at me.

The only bit that really interested me was the capital ships, a recent newsletter had a load of waffle about the three empires gearing up for fisticuffs, that sort of thing could well give context and direction to the game beyond “grind for the next ship” which seems to be the most common complaint. (Well, after, you know, the whole online only thing.)

• K_Sezegedin says:

The whole grind for the next ship complaints mystify me, – I mean, – what else did you do in previous elites?

13. Zallgrin says:

I was gonna say something about how inaccurate the trailer is in its portrayal of the game, then realized that I haven’t seen a good spacey flight trailer in… ten years? More? Probably never seen a trailer purely about flying in space that felt as fun as this one.

I forgive you everything, Elite: Dangerous. Keep spinning bullshit, I want more of it!

14. SuicideKing says:

That was a REALLY FUN TRAILER, even if misleading. It gave me so many Star Wars feels that now I really hope Episode VII has something like this. Though going by that teaser there’re not many…space fights.

• Cinek says:

FYI: This trailer is more cartoonish than Star Wars. You can’t see ships in Star Wars doing BS like ships in this trailer at any moment.

15. melnificent says:

Even the earliest footage didn’t have turns that sharp link to youtube.com

For others looking for refund help, or having problems with getting Frontier to actually respond there is a subreddit at link to reddit.com

• Astaria says:

Can you please link a refund site for your favorite game as well?

• TechnicalBen says:

link to game.co.uk

(Presuming bricks and mortar store and a scratch on the disk. ALWAYS check the disk in store when the cashier is watching, as darn we’d get it bad as consumers with all these defenders about. We have had favourite games, developers/publishers/disc makers make mistakes. Refunds are not asking for something obscene.)

• airmikee says:

Very few games are released in a condition that would require a refund. Is that the point you’re trying to make?

SputnikSweetheart says:

I think the visuals are alright, but exaggerated like most trailers really. Weren’t all the other trailers made form in game footage anyway?

Its just the music that doesn’t feel right. I’ve spent my time in Elite listening to electronic or classical music and can’t help but think some sweeping strings would fit better than almost-heavy guitar riffs.

• karnak says:

Ahhhh… Elite 2

What a glorious game.
      It raises an interesting question, though: how come Elite 2 managed to have a single-player, offline mode (and by Jove, it was a brilliant game at the time) and now Braben claims that such a mode would destroy Elite 4’s game experience??

• karnak says:

Ups… sorry. Meant to reply to the poster below.

My bad. :P

• ThatFuzzyTiger says:

Because an offline game wouldn’t be able to advertise the latest skins and currency bundle packs that they desperately need to sell you to “enhance” your experience!

17. thekelvingreen says:

Oh no, they’re making it look like Call of Duty. Whatever happened to the classical music? Whatever happened to this? link to youtube.com

(Also not representative, but less brodudey too)

• Perjoss says:

This is probably what you’re looking for, a trailer they released showing off the Orbis style starport, this one is much closer to the style of the original games. Turn up your sound :)

18. Synesthesia says:

This one is better, some dude at reddit did it:

edit: Of course i was ninja’d

19. kael13 says:

Sooo…. Is the game actually fun now or is it still a boring snooze fest? Does it have a story arc? Have they fixed long distance travel?

• SigmaCAT says:

I shall second the question! Is the game good/fun/worth buying?

• Zenicetus says:

There won’t be a story arc, in the sense that it would be essential to follow or complete a main story line.

There is a conflict brewing between the Federation and Empire factions, and there will be some kind of injected events on the 16th when the game is released. Something about the Emporer dying and the succession to the throne, the Federation taking advantage of the chaos… yada, yada. That will probably involve some hot spots for combat, but you’re free to ignore it and carry on mining, exploring, or whatever.

That’s the basis of the game and I doubt it will ever change. You can spend time trading, mining, bounty hunting, pirating, or exploring. Upgrade your ship and gear over time, although getting the best gear isn’t an end game. It’s basically a sandbox. Players who bring a heavy amount of role-playing into it, and can set their own goals, will have the most fun with it. There isn’t much that’s just handed to you as a constant string of goals, or an overall goal in the game. It’s Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon, if he never got drawn into supporting the Rebels, and just continued a career as a lone pilot (with furry buddy, that probably comes later as DLC).

Bottom line: If you didn’t like the feel of the game in the earlier Betas, you probably won’t like the release version either. It’s been polished up a lot, and there are still some features to be added like “Wings” for small groups of friends flying together (early next year, apparently). But that’s it. It’s enough for some of us.

• Cut says:

I’ll preface this by saying that I *have* enjoyed playing Elite for the last 4 weeks because – both visually and audio-wise – the game is absolutely stunning, the combat – while nothing like the trailer – is well implemented, and… SPACE.

I won’t be asking for a refund… ;)

But… I am left with the impression that Frontier have decided to launch far too early: as it stands, it is a framework for a game, rather than a finished product. It is also very clearly a single player game at present, without many of the most basic multi-player tools and little reason for the always-on-line requirement.

I bought into the Beta after reading all the (very exciting) developers’ Design Proposals on the Frontier Forums, but sadly, most of those haven’t made it into the game launching on the 16th (some or all of them “will be added at a later date”, according to Mr B.) and the available activities are all very much MVP versions of what was originally intended.

Launch day should see the beginning of the “injected narrative” which will supposedly (hopefully) add some life to our empty sandbox, but the hints we have seen of this so far suggest that this will be limited to more Fetch, Carry or Kill missions – though with a more immersive story behind them.

At present Elite: Dangerous is basically a (much) larger version of the 1984 Elite, except that now you are not required to use your imagination. Whether this is worth the €50 entrance fee or not will depend very much on how patient you are and if/how well Frontier continue to develop the game over the coming years.

• Excelle says:

Depends what you mean by ‘fixed long distance travel’. If you mean, “does hyperspace and supercruise work?”, then absolutely it does. If you’re looking for some sort of fast travel option then, well, you’re in the wrong game.

Not intentionally trolling, I just don’t understand the question (and I’ve seen people asking about both).

And to answer the original question – yes it is fun if you’re into space trading and such.

• Cinek says:

“or is it still a boring snooze fest?”
      – Most of the time: Yes. There are moments of exciting combat, but it’s exciting in a far different way than this trailer pictures it.
      “Does it have a story arc?”
      – Nope. And will not have one.
      “Have they fixed long distance travel?”
      – Nope. And I doubt they will. Time you spend in a long distance travel became a part of game balance, so I wouldn’t have any hopes for them ever changing that.

20. 9of9 says:

I predict that by 2020 launch trailers will release a full year before the game actually ships.

21. Astaria says:

Not too long ago there was no such thing as a refund for a game. How about all the $60+ games that people bought for consoles that turned out to be duds, or contain a pitiful number of hours of gameplay? How often do Sony and Microsoft refund games because they didn’t meet expectations?

Let’s not hold a successful indy developer to a higher standard than the companies that throw around hundreds of millions of dollars. Kickstarter is here to stay, and it remains the single best funding source for people who are not served by that mass-produced fast food style gaming market. That’s why it became popular in the first place- it supports an alternative to the glop that the big studios want to shove down everyone’s throat.

Shill away, shills.

• pepperfez says:

Why should those shills care what an opposing shill says on an article obviously written by a shill shilling for shills on a shill website read exclusively by shills?

• Kittim says:

I agree Astaria

• Stellar Duck says:

Agreed. I hold both to equal standards.

And really, Frontier has like 240 employees. They’re not three bedroom coders.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Spot on. Shills gonna shill.

• Astaria says:

Which wouldn’t happen without crowdsourced funding, which this nonsense campaign against indies is attempting to destroy.

• TechnicalBen says:

Ahem…
      link to game.co.uk
      (Bullet Point 2 is the one we need to read)

Have a fine day young sir! May we enjoy our civil computamaboulation games!

• Horg says:

”Not too long ago there was no such thing as a refund for a game.”

Just how far back are you going here? The UK Sale of Goods Act has been in force since 1979, and requires retailers to provide a full refund if the product sold is (a) not as described, (b) not of satisfactory quality, or (c) not fit for purpose. This act almost predates gaming itself, and applies to games as any other product. I mean, yeah, Pong predates the act by a few years. You holding a 40 year grudge over a dud cassette?

• zarniwoop says:

And even before the Sale of Goods Act, the common law in the UK often gave recourse to people who had been misled whether deliberately or negligently. Not always, and the rules are tricky, but to pretend this is a simple decision automatically in favour of the vendor is silly.

And of course you could always get a remedy for a failure to fulfill the substance of a contract.

What really gets me about all of this stuff, is the number of people who believe that you can get around laws just by calling an apple an orange. It’s like the courts have never come across people trying to evade their responsibilities before.

” Yes my Lord, I know that tenancies are subject to these regulations, but this wasn’t a tenancy. I just rented out a key to the Claimant on a monthly basis. If it happened to open the door to property in question, then that’s none of my business”.

• Cinek says:

Well, Elite seems to fulfil all 3 points with it’s latest announcement of dropping an offline DRM-free mode. Wish I would live in UK….

• Astaria says:

Then what’s the fuss about Elite and refunds? You industry types really are quite objectionable, aren’t you?

• airmikee says:

You have got a knack on that psychological projection, ya know that, right? You either don’t know what the definition of ‘shill’ means, or you’re just angry that people don’t like your favorite game. I can’t address the latter, so let’s deal with the former.

define: shill
      “an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.”

Now, out of the people asking for refunds, and you defending the company, which one is enticing others? People asking for refunds certainly aren’t shilling for Frontier, as that means Frontier is losing money, something that goes against Frontier’s purpose in life. You defending the company could potentially be leading others into changing their mind about the game, I’d venture, to ensure your favorite game is successful so that it actually stays around for a while.

Now, which one of those two examples is shilling? You don’t need to answer, I doubt you have the honesty or integrity to admit the truth.

22. ajewers says:

I’d give trailer a thumbs up purely for the music choice. Not a single wub or wobble within earshot, and i do love a bit of royal blood.

23. Chorltonwheelie says:

I remember the box for Doom 2 looking exactly like the game.

• Kittim says:

• Kittim says:

I remember the Christmas Ads for the Amiga 500 didn’t show a single frame from an Amiga. When I worked in retail, we had people coming in, convinced an Amiga could do the same as a Cray :)

24. Boosh says:

Elite is going to be pretty special…in about a year perhaps. But it’ll never be ‘that’. I get that trailers are representative at best, more of a scene setter than true reflection of gameplay, but even taking that into account the trailer is crazy.

25. Kefren says:

Strangely, the trailer makes the game look pretty boring to me. Perhaps the more action-y something looks, the more I switch off.

26. ThatFuzzyTiger says:

As regards the dropping of offline mode, eh, well, this is one possible answer

link to reddit.com

Long story short, not a creative decision, but because Braben wants more of your monies. So he can sell you virtual currency. Elite : Dangerous, with added F2P!

Perhaps people might want to start asking about that.

27. Marclev says:

I’m looking at that “90% of your time in Elite Dangerous” video and … hasn’t anybody told Braben after the last time that space is not blue? I have some very distinct memories of turning down the brightness on my monitor to make change it’s colour to black (the fact that I could hardly see anything else didn’t seem as important to my much younger self).

Anybody know if the colour of space in the game is really blue again or is this just an artefact of the video?

28. FabulousFab says:

Enough with this minority of people stuck 20 or 30 years ago, with their damn offline mode !
    I’ve played all the Elite games, and they always get boring after a while because of the whole procedural things.
    All the interest of Elite Dangerous is in the online mode.
    Sure Frontier didn’t handle very well the end off offline mode, but this minority never understood all the game was about and now giving bad press to the game.

Please don’t listen to them and go check the game wich was the best beta I ever did, is already a very good game and will get better as it launch and the galaxy goes live.

• Emeraude says:

It may surprise you, but offline is just as contemporary as online from a design standpoint. One does not get obsolesced or invalidated by the other’s existence.

All the interest of Elite Dangerous is in the online mode.

All the interest of Elite Dangerous, for you, is in the online mode.

Fair enough.

• WaytoomanyUIDs says:

If Frontier Developments would refund us we would stop disturbing your peace.