Stamina: Distance Out On Early Access

Derezzed in the crematorium..... UPDATE

That cyberpunk stunt-racing game with all like, flashy fluorescent neons and that is out on Steam Early Access. VROOM THAT DAFT PUNKESQUE NIGHTMARE INTO THE NIGHT SKIES MY FRIENDS. Now you can try out Distance.

I reported on it last week, but here’s a bit of info on it: a car game, with cars, jumpy cars, “the sort of arcade racing game you imagine Daft Punk procured their snazzy helmets from – the developers claim it’s Trials Evolution + Rush 2049 + Halo + Tron: Legacy”. Refract Studios are the same people that made Nitronic Rush.

The beta features a short atmospheric story mode, solo/multiplayer modes like sprint, reverse tag, and stunt, and a level editor connected to Steam Workshop with over 165 levels already shared by Distance beta players.

It’s just been released on Windows, Mac, and Linux for $19.99 / £14.99, with a 15% off sale running during for the first week until Dec. 16th. If it sounds like a good time you can check it out here.

1. Dominic White says:

The game is super polished for an Early Access release. They’re adding more tracks and more features to the editor over time, but there’s already a beefy chunk of game to chew on with a multitude of playmodes both online and off. There’s also a good 200-ish user made tracks available, some of which are extremely good. The best designers in the community are doing an Advent Calendar event – one fancy new track every day until Christmas. Look for ‘DAC’ in the Steam Workshop list.

Don’t hesitate to try out the editor. It looks intimidating but it’s actually super easy to use. This tutorial video covers all the basics, builds a simple track, decorates it and playtests it all in the space of ten minutes. The actual process of putting together and bending, warping and manipulating track segments is almost comically simple. link to youtube.com

If you want a demo? Play Nitronic Rush. It’s free and has almost identical core gameplay.

• LionsPhil says:

Second, I backed this to get more Nitronic Rush and pay (most of) them for it, and I’ve got more Nitronic Rush.

I think it’s a little less tolerant of impacts than NR (I don’t remember ever dying from hitting walls in NR, just virus obstacles), but conversely lasers aren’t insta-death but instead hilarious improvisational challenges.

At present the actual campaign part is pretty short (I reached the “we haven’t finished this yet” message within a couple hours or so), but in terms of if you like it or not NR is the go-to test. I just hope they add a few of the classic car types, even if legal stuff probably means bringing back The Commander is a no-go.

• Dominic White says:

The devs have said that the Adventure mode is going to be pretty short no matter what, so I’d hazard a guess at it maybe getting about a third longer by the time they’re done? The game was never about campaign progress anyway.

As for the rest? Fingers crossed. I hope they bring back the commentator voice, at least for non-adventure stuff. He was funny.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, that’s a bit of a shame because adventure mode is what I enjoy[ed] the most. I probably wouldnt be chuffed if that’s all I got for £12 buying it now, but as said I backed this to say thanks for NR anyway, so anything else is a bonus for me. And presumably the workshop is already filling up with sequences of levels too.

And, yes, the commentator needs to make a return.

• Tacroy says:

They should add support for community campaigns, not just levels.

• RARARA says:

So I’m assuming Raiden happened to your car?

• LionsPhil says:

Pretty much!

They’ve done a procedural damage thing that means the lasers can slice it along arbitrary lines, and whatever wheels are still attached are what you have left to drive with.

(You seem to still always be able to boost. I don’t know if that’s intentional design or a bug.)

2. montorsi says:

Huh, this looks a lot better than your usual barely-patched-together early access release. Will have to give it a look.