Dog Sled Saga Has It All: Dogs, Sleds, A Saga

Huskies are brilliant dogs. This isn’t just because they look great (to my mind, only the Shiba Inu hedges ’em out). It isn’t just because they haul sleds (although that, too, is brilliant). It’s because they’re great dogs for facts. For example, did you know that they’re one of the oldest existing dog breeds, believed to have been about for over three thousand years? Or that they can travel about hundred and fifty miles in a day – in Siberian conditions, whilst hauling loads? Or that they can run at up to fifty miles per hour?

Well, now you do. And now that you’re equipped with almost as many huskie facts as I am, we’re ready to journey together into the world of Dog Sled Saga.

The game’s charming pixel art representations of the huskies are a delight, and I also like that the trainer looks like the original terminator – after he’s had an eye out – in cold weather gear. From what we can see of the gameplay I’m reminded of nothing less than Koei’s old G1 Jockey series, perhaps passed through a fine Kairosoft sieve. Racing is a big part of life as a rookie musher (another great thing about huskies: the job titles for humans working with them), but it looks like there’s a decent management sim bolted on to the side – one that encourages you to care about the welfare and happiness of your team as well as their performance.

The game launched into Steam Early Access a few days back, and the developers warn prospective players that the career side of the game still needs a lot of work. Still, there’s a huskie team management sim-sized hole in my life that I didn’t know needed filling until now.

1. leeder krenon says:

I backed this on kickstarter, and it’s shaping up to be really lovely game. Well worth a few of your quids.

2. Llewyn says:

Wonderful though huskies are, citation for the 50mph (ie faster than racing greyhounds) claim please!

• dgsoles says:

30 mph free running, maybe.

Sprint dogs run between 18-25 mph, while pulling 1-4x their weight, for half an hour to an hour.

Distance dogs go about 7-12mph, pulling about 0.5-2x their weight.

Yay, finally a reason to post on RPS!! I mush for a living :)

3. Ralek says:

“Still, there’s a huskie team management sim-sized hole in my life that I didn’t know needed filling until now.”

Seeing the video I thought exactly the same thing :-D This goes straight to the Top10 of my Steam wishlisht.

4. int says:

Methinks it needs more Cuba Gooding Jr.

5. rustybroomhandle says:

True story: My dog is from Alaska and was bred for sled-dogging, but of his litter he did not get chosen to be raised as a sled dog and was marked to be “destroyed” – I kid you not, that’s the word they use. Anyhoo, my partner adopted him and now he lives here with me in South Africa.

And ya know what, he’s better for it. Life expectancy for sled dogs are are around 10 years, and he’s in his upper teens right now.

He’s a mix between primarily Akita, Shar pei and Newfoundland. incidentally. I learned that “Alaskan huskie” is basically just a name used as shorthand for “dog to be used for sledding” and very often are not even of the huskie breed.

MY DOG = BEST DOG EVAR!

• dgsoles says:

As a long time Musher, I would like to correct a few things. Most of the dogs who don’t cut it in a dog team actually get either sold or given to good pet homes, not “destroyed.” Also, life expectancy is between 13-17 years. Lastly, an Alaskan Husky is simply a racing sled dog, originating from a cross between Siberian Huskies and Alaskan village dogs in the 30’s and 40’s. Nowadays, they also have a lot of pointer in them, especially the Sprint racing dogs, which are a whole different breed then distance dogs.

Many of them make great pets, but need a ridiculous amount of exercise.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Just telling you my dog’s story. And I was not making up the thing about being marked to be destroyed. Where are/were you a musher?

• dgsoles says:

Started in Michigan, do tours in Alaska during the summer (cruise ships, tourists), at the moment in Durango, Colorado doing tours at a mountain resort. Have a twelve dog team of my own, mostly Sprint types.

• dgsoles says:

And no worries, I never accused of making it up. Some mushers take excellent care of their dogs, some don’t. Just like in every type of animal sport and husbandry.

6. Moth Bones says:

This looks charming. I suspect I shall buy in when I get bored of Salt. You’re on a roll RPS, I love these quirky, inventive early access things. Also, the loveliest dog I ever met was a samoyed – is it too much to hope they might be in the game?

7. guygodbois00 says:

Well, it most certainly has not candy and crush, but I predict a lawsuit all the same.

Dukey says:

I love how perfectly the music compliments the visual style.

9. darkhog says:

Prepare for the lawsuit from King.com ;)

Anyway, I think this is good game. Don’t like dog races, but game looks solid and I wish creators well.

Harlander says:

The art style in this makes me think it’s set somewhere to the north of the setting of Neo Scavenger.