A Fine Haul Of Booty: Air Buccaneers Now Free

Blammo

Something about the concept of “airship crews try to blow each other out of the sky” made AirBuccaneers popular in the RPS treehouse since its beginnings as a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004, when we organised irregular matches with you motley crew. If you too wish to man guns, take the wheel, lead boarding parties, bomb from gliders, or generally murder lots of men in silly ways, good news! Developers Ludocraft have now made their commercial follow-up AirBuccaneers HD free to everyone, so you can grab it on Steam and begin plundering today.

This came as the game turned two years old last week. “In honor of this anniversary we decided to bring more battle, joy and happiness to your holiday season,” Ludocraft say. We get a pleasant game to play, the multiplayer community gets a fresh jolt of new players, and Ludocraft get to enjoy the spirit of giving while also raising their profile a little.

“Soon it’s the end of the year and the Ragnarok is getting closer…” Ludocraft noted in their announcement. One could read an awful lot into that if desired, speculating about future developments in AirBuccaneers’ weird Norse world. Or it might simply be a nice way to say “We’re all doomed, we’re all going to die – yes, even you.”

1. Heliocentric says:

This… This is conflicting, it opens the doors to cheaters (make a new account download the free game) but will keep the game in a steady flow of players. I call this a :/ face moment.

• Artist says:

Unfortunatly the game was dead since a very long time. So does it matter?

Arnvidr says:

I had a little try this weekend. Was a fun enough time, although the tutorial confused the hell out of me at first. According to PCGamingWiki it supports some sort of self-hosting servers, although I didn’t see that option in the game. If I can set up private games for my friends, I’ll try it again some time.

3. Phantom_Renegade says:

Airship pirating should be a genre all to itself.

4. Jakkar says:

Buccaneers need some bloody support here, the viking teams are three times our size! 20 versus 8 and similar for whole rounds at a time!

5. MrFinnishDude says:

Norse AND Finno world. Oh whatever, everybody is all about those Vikings
    No one cares about the ancient Finns.

6. Scandalon says:

Congrats to the devs, AirBuccanears fills out my steam game list to 200. I’m pretty sure that means I have to play all of them now before acquiring any more.

7. Shardz says:

If you take the Steam portion out of it, you got a deal!

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

It’s a bit bizarre that it still costs 14.99 on Humble.