Second Act: Final Fantasy XIII-2 Released

RESOLVE.

As a decent human being, I’ll warn you in advance if I intend to give you a clip round the ear (though I’m not decent enough to not whack you). If I were making you a cake, though, I’d wait until it was baked and cooled to tell you. What this clever intro I feel too ill today to pull off would lead towards is: I’ve mentioned before that RPG sequel-sequel Final Fantasy XIII-2 was due a PC release on December 11th, but now it’s actually out so you can actually play it. That would’ve been so slick and clever. I was working on a mnemonic I’m sure you’d all use daily and everything.

Square Enix had said they’d learned lessons from the Final Fantasy XIII port they released in October, which lacked pretty basic config options like, oh, being able to change resolution. Luckily beloved modder ‘Durante’ (him wot fixed Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition) was on hand to once again save the day. So how’s the port of XIII-2 looking?

Well, casting my eye over the Steam user reviews, I see folks noting it does have options for resolution, shadow resolution, and anti-aliasing. That’s about it, though. Some folks are grumbling about this one’s performance too. Take ’em with a pinch of salt, sure, but reviews seem to broadly agree that the porting is still a bit wonky.

As for the game itself, well, jeez, I don’t know. Have you played it? Sound off in the comments.

The final part of the FFXIII trilogy, Lightning Returns, is due on PC by spring. Third time’s a charm?

1. Tatty says:

Not played Exeyeeyeeyetwo but can confirm that Exeyeeyeeye now has some basic config options. Beautiful corridors abound, I suppose.

2. Wowbagger says:

This is the one with the awful talking moogle isn’t it? These entries are so bland that I can’t remember properly!

If so the time travelling mechanic was better than XIII, but the story was obfuscated and boring. 7/10 (would have been 8/10 but for the bloody moogle.)

• Anthile says:

It wouldn’t really be a proper JRPG if you could make sense of the story without a flowchart.

3. golem09 says:

Durante mentioned that the “resolution options” of XIII and XIII-2 are just his unaltered fix implemented into the game, with the same bugs still present. But hey, with nvidias downsampling it runs slightly better.

• mechabuddha says:

I had a different experience. Durante’s fix looked gorgeous, but slowed the framerate of the game in some places — this was even with playing around with settings and such. The game would also crash every once in a while. Using the provided graphics options, though, I’m getting no slowdown in framerate and haven’t crashed yet. So I’d say I prefer the new options to Durante’s fix.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Wow.

No, really, wow.

4. vorador says:

I…..tried to like it.

God knows i tried. But after barely finishing FFXIII, this one was too much.

5. cylentstorm says:

The last good core FF game was XII. Thirteen and its offspring are much more to difficult to recommend if you’re looking for a solid JRPG series. The in-game visuals can almost be pretty at times–at least until you’re thrown into another CG cutscene which steals the thunder. It’s mostly linear and streamlined for the casual crowd or anyone who just wants to spam through the boring battles on Easy Mode to try to decipher the schizophrenic plot. I’ve been forcing myself to play this to try and see what the few but very vocal fans see in Lightning’s adventures. Tried it on PS3 several years ago, and just couldn’t do it. Now, I’m suppressing my reservations and general dislike, but it’s difficult to hold back the Meh….

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’ve started XII on I think four seperate occasions and never made it very far, and I couldn’t tell you why. I like old FF , I like new FF, but for whatever reason XII just bores me to tears. I cannot like or even care about any of the characters, the combat doesn’t interest me in the least, the world? I can’t even remember a thing about it.
      I don’t even think any of these things are legitimate failings of the game. For whatever reason I just cannot make myself enjoy playing it enough to keep at it, and it’s so frustrating – especially since I seem to be alone.

• sharkh20 says:

XII was fantastic and the complete opposite of XIII. I have thought about it a lot and I have decided that it is my favorite of the series. XIII being my least favorite. I even liked X-2 more than that hallway simulator. XV is not looking so hot anymore from what they have shown.

XII may be the hardest game of the series. I loved setting up the gambit system so that it was absolutely perfect. I loved the hunts. The changing world depending on seasons and times. I also liked that you could cling to a few characters that fit your style and not worry about the others. Oh yeah, the music. I revisited Valkyria Chronicles recently on PC and it is the same composer. Amazing music as well.

• Deadly Sinner says:

It’s my favorite, too. I would wager that most PC gamers would find XII to be the best, since it is the closest the series has gotten to classic CRPG combat.

6. Kempston Wiggler says:

Not even joking but I can’t decide if the pictured character is male or female? I’m leaning towards male purely by fact that his eyes don’t take up 63% of his face. Feel free to enlighten me.

• Kaeoschassis says:

She’s a girl, but I believe she was originally designed to be a less stereotypically feminine character?

7. tonka_92 says:

I did like this game more than the first one to be sure
    I am a sucker for time travel

it got to the meat of the game much quicker though, and the antagonist was present frequently and was quite well done