Just Cause 3 Screenshots For Looking At

We don’t often post about screenshot releases, because there’s always a trailer that shows more, with less of likelihood of each frame having been doctored in Photoshop before release. Just Cause is the kind of series though where half the fun comes from how pretty it looks and the other half comes from tethering guards to rockets and standing astride vehicles as they launch over cliffs. These Just Cause 3 screenshots show a bit of both – and are obviously carefully posed – but I like to look at them.

Maybe you will also enjoy looking at them? You can click to make each one bigger.

The one below is everything I want in life in a single image.

Just Cause was a better playground than it was a game. One of my favourite things to do was to fly as high as possible in the world then bail out and skydive to the ground below. This was better in the first game, because the second made falling really slow in order to make it easier to deploy your parachute and grapple around in the moments before you landed.

How to spot a bullshot, below. Obviously the camera isn’t an in-game view, so it’s from a cutscene or it’s been staged by pausing the game. But then, also look at Rico’s pose. That’s neither a crouch walk or a run, and he’s got one hand off the weapon. Again suggests a cutscene or a pose set specifically for the screenshot.

I like that it looks like he’s running across the wing of the plane below. Maybe you’re not longer stuck in a single fixed position when mounting vehicles? Or maybe it’s posed again.

Just Cause 3 is due out sometime next year.

1. Crafter says:

It looks exactly like my nostalgia tinted memories of Just Cause 2. I don’t know whether it is a good thing or not.

2. virtualmatrix258 says:

It probably won’t look anything like this without mods and it will require a butt load of VRAM.

Mungrul says:

I don’t know about that; one of the things that consistently impressed me about Just Cause 2 was its visual fidelity. It always looked fantastic and performed smoothly as well, even on moderate machines.
      And this one, while pretty, doesn’t look like it’ll require a beast of a machine. Remember, it’s going to be made to run smoothly on consoles.

• virtualmatrix258 says:

lol!

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, the JC2 engine was pretty amazing. It’s one of the games I hold up for why the AAA development model still has reason to exist.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Yes, its pretty runs well and despite that they didn’t forget it needed to be fun too – surprising how many AAA games seem to not spend much time on the last part.

• RARARA says:

Yeah. JC2 was a bit bare, but so pretty.

• Kollega says:

I don’t think many people understand just what Avalanche did with Just Cause 2. I once glanced at the Berawan Bezar mountains and caught myself thinking that in any other game, I’d go “Hey, nice skybox!” – but in JC2, you can actually go and explore the shit out of those mountains. Sure, there isn’t actually much to find there, but the fact that the gameworld is so enormously huge compared to an average CoD-style shooter, fully explorable, and littered with things to blow up is already a huge achievement.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Not sure I agree, to some extent I like that they were okay with leaving a mountain just be a mountain. In a lot of open world style games I feel I can’t move with out falling into some point of interest or other all packed side by side as if the developers were afraid I’d loose interest if there wasn’t something to ‘do’ every five steps.

• B.rake says:

Good point. The densitiy of the activities also matches the scale the world and its transportation. It makes sense for an Elder Scrolls game to be riddled with dungeons and odd roadside encounters since you and all the npcs are restricted to hoofing it, and the world was built by people who hoofed it; The same way it makes sense for Just Cause 2 to not- its a heavily militarized archipelago with pristine roads, and at any given moment you can drunk eBay yourself a Pell Silverbolt and jet across the map… plus so pretty it’s cool to just sling yourself off a mountain and parachute to your next act of terrorism on a gentle breeze until the nice music starts up and the sun is setting.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Yes very much what I was thinking. I was mostly ‘I’m looking at you Fallout 3’ while writing the last comment – for a post-apocalyptic wasteland it sure was crowded.

• Holysheep says:

Consoles? You mean these “run a game at 30 fps, 720 on good days” thingies? I’m sorry, not very good in archeology.

3. padger says:

Awesome.

But should have just been a gallery of walking away from explosions.

• jezcentral says:

Exactly. You had one job, Rico. ONE JOB!

• Field Marshal Wildboar-Smith says:

I concur.

I used to believe Rico to be cool, but in a great deal of these screened shots, he is staring directly into explosions. And that just isn’t cricket.

• LionsPhil says:

It might be an advert, but I wish there were a full-length version of this.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Its true. I put my soup in the microwave earlier and it went bang. I was looking at it when it happened, and I felt really uncool. Next time I will set the soup running and ensure I am always walking away.

4. mukuste says:

That’s exactly what the guys at Game Informer, who had an exclusive hands-on session with it, said. You can now move around on top of vehicles.

• derbefrier says:

That will be fun.

• Jakkar says:

That will need to be beautifully procedurally animated and frought with danger of slipping or I’ll pretend the feature doesn’t exist :<

• Zekiel says:

More than anything else, that’s what annoyed me about JC2. I would swing up onto the top of a car, shoot at some pursuing vehicle, then try and jump off and find that I couldn’t. All I could do was swing back into the car. It was right annoying because I was constantly fighting this frustration between what I expected to happen and what actually happened. Also because I kept feeling stupid that I’d done this a dozen times before and not learned my lesson.

• mukuste says:

Why would you want to banally jump off if you can open your parachute and gloriously glide off?

5. Monkeh says:

Could also be his roll-animation or something.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Clearly looks like a new ‘explosive diarrhea’ skill. Obviously some sort of Binding of Isaac cross-promotion. Really sad that RPS can’t pick up on obvious facts like these, where has real hard hitting gamez journalism gone? Thanks, Obama.

6. BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

I loved Just Cause 2 so much, that if this ends up being that but prettier and with more stuff I think I’ll be happy. Also those explosions look gorgeous; especially picture 5.

7. Anthile says:

Glad to see you can still tether people to propane canisters. That was the best thing about Just Cause 2.
    link to i.imgur.com
    Ah, the memories.

8. TrueSpite says:

I like to imagine that the hero is a terminator sent from the future. It explains perfectly why he’s capable of single-handedly destroying entire nations (and the resistance to bullets, 10g+ acceleration etc.). Same thing for Far Cry.

It also explains why the protagonist has no personality.

• LionsPhil says:

I’m happy for him to continue to have no personality because when the game did try to have a plot, the plot it came up with was State-Sponsored Terrorism Simulator.

Look to ’80s/’90s action flicks not just for your over-the-top action setups, but your writing, Avalanche. Rico is a bad enough dude to save the president, and the president’s daughter, and his own daughter, and the crucial witness, and everyone in Miami.

9. Faxanadu says:

Does not have multiplayer. Do not care.

It’s going to be amazing? Don’t care, doesn’t have multiplayer! LALALALALA I’M NOT LISTENING LALALALALA!!!

(iwillneverforgiveiftheyforgothechanceofmakingGoTYwhichthemultiplayerwouldobviouslybe)

10. Solidstate89 says:

He could be moving from one spot to another. I don’t think you could change places on planes in JC2, but you certainly could move between several positions on a car.

11. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Silly Rico. Humans go inside vehicles, not on top. What a silly Billy.

12. Radiant says:

NO MULLET NO SALE

13. Shardz says:

Now this is what I call “a story every second*. Forget about that other sloppy hog with restrictive game play. I still play JC2 like a Rogue-like and fire a new game up to see how long I can survive…kind of like GTA used to be. Good fun. I just hope my machine can run this badboy.

14. Keeper075 says:

Just Cause 2 was(is), in my 35+ years of gaming, one of the most fun games I’ve ever played. The sheer amount of stupid fun that can be had within its huge sandbox is almost endless. It’s the only game that’s been perpetually installed on both my home desktop and my laptop since it came out, and once a month or so I lose myself among its playground of explosions and shenanigans.

I don’t care if Just Cause 3 is just a re-hash of 2 with marginally better graphics. If it offers anywhere near the same amount of entertainment as its predecessor it will most certainly be my game of the year. Needless to say I am incredibly excited for its upcoming release!

15. vorador says:

Frothing demand increases, yadda yadda yadda.

I can’t wait. JC2 was real fun. One of the things i liked most was that it didn’t try to hold your hand like Ubisoft sandbox games. Play it your way. Go everywhere. Kill everybody. Drive anything. The world was your oyster.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Are they going to give the main character a personality this time?