Ultima Ratio Regum v0.6.0 Adds Cities, Fortresses, Coins

Dwarf Fortress‘s development is a joy to follow along with, but its age means that each new update, however large, is designed to add greater complexity and nuance to its simulation, and much of the heavy lifting for its procedural world generation was done long ago.

Ultima Ratio Regum aims to be a roguelike crossed with a 4X, and at this stage it’s not as far advanced as Dwarf Fortress nor even really a game. But that means you get to follow along as the fundamental code underpinning its world is formed. Version 0.6.0 was just released and it takes the overworld map added long ago and drills deeper, so that each city that appears upon it can now be walked around at street level. Or as the patch notes put it, you can now “Explore massive and varied feudal cities (each able to support a population of ~300,000+), each with its own range of districts, architectural styles, and buildings influenced by the political and religious choices of its civilization.”

There’s more to do than just walk, at least. Each new area in the game can also be looked at and read about via the in-game encyclopedia. If you choose to look at something, the image you’ll see will be similarly created via procedural generation. URR uses ANSI art – like ASCII but with a larger set of characters – and is strangely beautiful. Previous builds included procedural riddles and procedural vines and procedural keys and procedural wheat. I think there’s coins now.

The next update should come in March with 0.7’s addition of building interiors, before “core gameplay” begins to be added in 0.8 with the simulation of NPCs. Until then, I highly recommend downloading the latest build (it’s free) and treating it as a kind of fantasy world walking simulator.

1. twaitsfan says:

This game, even in it’s current state, is mind boggling.

• Niko says:

The development of this game is a beautiful and slightly terrifying thing to behold.

2. Zanchito says:

Yet again, RPS shows me something awesome!

3. schlusenbach says:

The developer gave a very interesting talk at the PROCJAM 2014.

Ninja Dodo says:

Ooh nice. I had seen some of these on Twitch but wasn’t aware there was a YT version. Had been meaning to watch the rest. Thanks!

4. Synesthesia says:

That last screenshot, jesus.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

*nod* I am awed. Look! There’s a park district!

5. sventoby says:

This definitely piqued my interest. Not sure what “Dark-Souls-esque combat mechanics” will look like in a roguelike, though.

6. ZombieJ says:

1) Relating something to a “walking simulator” doesn’t give it value. The games that originated that apparent emerging genre are what they are because of strong stories, not their vapid gameplay.
    2) Why no pic of the procedural ANSI foliage?
    3) As a long time DF supporter and rogue fan, I think this looks ace. I’m particularly happy to see they haven’t equated *themselves* to DF, a true fool’s errand. Fie on you for making that connection, even as a negative point.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Strong stories? Like Proteus’ and Bernband’s? It’s OK to not like walking simulators, but I don’t think you understand why people like it – you don’t understand why I like it, at least.

• alms says:

“I’m particularly happy to see they haven’t equated *themselves* to DF, a true fool’s errand.”

If you have an ASCII game associating yourself with DF might be the dumbest trick in the bag, it’s like saying OH LOOK MY UI IS SQUARELY AIMED AT CTHULHU AND THE ANCIENT ONES.

7. alms says:

Maybe it’s just me but starting this post with the words Dwarf Fortress made me unsure for a while if this post was about DF or its adventure mode, about a game that has some kind of direct relationship to it, or whatever else.