Ubisoft’s Assassinspology Free Games Are Live

GO

If you’re one of those whose bought Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s DLC Season Pass at launch, you’re getting a big fat Sorry from Ubisoft whether you felt you needed it or not. They need your forgiveness. They burn for it. The publisher’s apologies for Unity’s many and various bugs and performance issues comprises a choice of one of the following: Far Cry 4, Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag, The Crew, Rayman Legends, Watch_Dogs or Just Dance 2015. We already knew that! But now it’s actually happening right now go go go go

…Or try to. As is something of a Uplay tradition, the system promptly fell over when first turned on, though it does appear to be working now. Sadly you’re stuck with whatever format you bought ACU on – I wouldn’t have minded adding something new to my little-used Destinystation. Also Just Dance is the only game other than The Crew that I don’t already have, and that’s not available on PC. Boo!

Anyway, clearly you should choose either Far Cry 4 or Black Flag, or Rayman Legends if you already have them. I went with The Crew purely cos I didn’t already have it, but I’ll wait to see if it has any major updates before I bother.

If you want your free game and somehow missed the email, the link is here. I’m pretty sure you can’t pick up a skeezy ACU key from somewhere to get a free game retroactively, though. Once you’ve picked, you’ll get mailed a Uplay code. No Steams, I’m afraid.

You’ve got until March 2015 to choose, so maybe wait and see what Santa brings before you commit, eh?

1. scudly says:

Of course when I try to log in after buying it on PC it simply closes my browser window and doesn’t present me with any free game choice. Hooray.

2. Cei says:

Thanks Ubi. For the cost of AC:Unity I now have Far Cry 4 as well, which meant it was a bargain.

Throw in the fact that AC:U wasn’t anywhere near as “broken” as claimed by the mainstream gaming sites (PS4 version) and I’m really quite happy. I get it, creating controversy creates pagehits, but this was pathetic. Yes, Ubi should have done more to sort out bugs prior to release, but they were no doubt driven by a strict pre-Christmas release date. Excusable? Not really, but fixible and nowhere near as terrible as made out? Yes.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Or perhaps, perhaps, bugs happen differently on different systems, and you were one of the lucky outliers who got very few bugs in a very buggy game?

I wouldn’t know, I’m not crazy enough to buy games on relase.

3. tobel says:

It seems that you have to be a season pass holder (unsure if that’s Ubisoft of AssCred specific) to qualify for the free game. I tried to send a message to support and had a FAQ answer popup:

“If you purchased the Assassin’s Creed Unity Season Pass or Assassin’s Creed Unity Gold Edition (which includes the Season Pass), you are eligible to choose one free game from a select list of Ubisoft titles.”

• iainl says:

I thought this was always what they claimed – that the “sorry we messed up” present for people who bought Unity was the big DLC they were going to charge for, so for those who’d already paid in advance through the season pass, they’ve offered a free game instead.

4. heretic says:

I downloaded 2 games through UPlay that came free with a graphics card (Splinter Cell Blacklist and AC Black Flag), it was a terrible experience (download wouldn’t start, or would fail 3/4 in and start from scratch again…) I hope they’ve fixed that since then…

5. soopytwist says:

Watch_Dogs? Compensate for a buggy broken game with another buggy broken game? How does that work?

basilisk says:

I have achieved 100% completion in Watch_Dogs on the PC and haven’t experienced a single bug. Not even a teeny tiny one. Nothing “broken” about it whatsoever. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, particularly since it’s recently decided to hate Ubi with the same blind passion that used to be reserved for EA.

(I cannot say the same about AC Unity, but I agree with Cei above that the situation with that game wasn’t quite as bad as you’d expect from all the uproar. It shouldn’t have been released in this state, though, that’s obvious.)

• Emeraude says:

To be fair I have played 100+ hours of Alpha Protocol, and only met two non-critical, minor bugs over that period.

Doesn’t prevent the game from being widely considered as buggy. Until proven otherwise, I think I’ll go with “I was lucky” more than ‘the rest of the world is wrong” (though I agree sometimes the reputations are inflated for tangential reasons, the fact is they still have to come from somewhere).

basilisk says:

I did stumble across several (not terribly important) bugs in AP in my three playthroughs, but even if I didn’t, it’s impossible to not notice that the game is very rough around the edges and lacks a ton of polish. Watch_Dogs is absolutely nothing like that. If someone claims that it’s “broken and buggy”, then they clearly haven’t played it.

I know this is anecdotal, and I am aware of the problems of generalising personal experience. But I have played many broken games before. W_D is not one. Full stop. ACU? Definitely buggy, though I wouldn’t necessarily call it “broken”. But W_D? No.

6. Kamestos says:

I followed the procedure and I got a Steam key for The Crew !
    Maybe it is because I bought ACU on Steam, but I’m happy nonetheless.

Also, I’m not in the UK (are the Ubi games still missing from the UK Steam store ?).

7. Emeraude says:

Ubisoft is asking AC: Unity customers (+ families) to waive their rights to sue them. If you want to redeem your free Season Pass compensation game, there’s a small caveat.

You hereby irrevocably and unconditionally RELEASE, WAIVE, AND FOREVER DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE Ubisoft Entertainment S.A., and each of its past, present and future divisions, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, predecessors, successors and assigns, together with all of their respective past, present and future employees, officers, shareholders, directors and agents, and those who give recommendations, directions, or instructions or engage in risk evaluation or loss control activities regarding the Campaign (all for the purposes herein referred to as “Released Parties”) FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY TO YOU, your assigns, heirs, and next of kin FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, CHARGES, LAWSUITS, DEBTS, DEFENSES, ACTIONS OR CAUSES OF ACTION, OBLIGATIONS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF SERVICE, COMPENSATION, PAIN AND SUFFERING, ATTORNEYS’ FEES, AND COST AND EXPENSES OF SUIT, KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED OR UNSUSPECTED, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE PURCHASE, ACQUISITION, RENTAL, POSSESSION AND/OR USAGE, AND/OR THE INTENT TO PURCHASE, ACQUIRE, RENT, POSSESS AND/OR USE, THE ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY VIDEO GAME AND/OR THE ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY SEASON PASS ON ANY AND ALL PLATFORMS, AND/OR RELATED TO THE CAMPAIGN, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASED PARTIES OR OTHERWISE.

Someone just sent me this. Interesting.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

It does sound very different from the usual ‘don’t sue us bro’ thing you usually get from EULA’s, can anyone confirm this?

Though if you get the free game and then also decide to sue Ubi you’re pushing it. One or the other, stickyfingers.

8. RoninX74 says:

I just got “The Crew” and they sent me a steam code for it. Kind of odd since they have their Uplay app. but I’m not complaining, I run all my games through Steam so it’s nice to have been given a code to run it natively in Steam as opposed to having to create a shortcut for a non-steam game.