Wot I Think: Metal Gear Solid V – Ground Zeroes

Hideo Kojima is one of console-land’s greatest champions. Over the past two decades Konami’s Kojima-led team, eventually formed into Kojima Productions, has produced classic game after classic game – almost all of which are Metal Gear titles. Though not without critics, each MGS feels like a reinvention rather than a sequel, consistently innovative, stylish, and changeable. And with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, the prologue act to next year’s full release of MGSV: the Phantom Pain, Kojima Productions reinvents itself as a PC developer.

What’s that – “prologue act”? Isn’t this the overpriced demo everyone was moaning about on console six months ago? Ground Zeroes’ reception suffered enormously from various reports that it was over in less than an hour, and was a sign of Konami trying to pull a fast one.

What lends these claims credence is that Ground Zeroes takes place in a single environment, and the central story mission can indeed be completed quickly if you know what you’re doing. I’d say I could do it in twenty minutes. Ground Zeroes does not end after one mission, so let’s put that aside, but it does only have one map on which all the missions are played and no real ‘campaign’ to speak of.

Camp Omega is a parallel dimension’s Guantanamo Bay, an isolated chunk of rock playing host to guards and orange-jumpsuited prisoners. There’s a complex next to a helipad, various configurations of buildings, some tented areas, watchtowers, storage facilities, and a fenced area where inmates are kept in cages. An American flag flies proudly over all.

The recent US Senate report confirming the CIA’s widespread use of torture at Guantanamo and elsewhere make Camp Omega feel even more timely than it did at launch. In a larger context Ground Zeroes marks a distinct maturation in tone for Kojima – his games have always had big geopolitical themes, but painted with a broad brush and populated with slightly daft characters.

Ground Zeroes still has a bad dude named Skullface, but Camp Omega’s focus is so much more specific – with collectable cassette tapes filling in countless details – that it’s a direct, emotive broadside. The site of the 9/11 attacks is now known as Ground Zero, and the game’s musical theme is a Joan Baez / Ennio Morricone song about two innocent men executed by the USA for anarchist beliefs. The methods and technology of Camp Omega are brutal, while the all-too-human guards and broken prisoners bring home what a truly barbaric achievement it is.

Most important of all, Camp Omega is a great game location, and a new take on what ‘open-world’ means. This is all about unprecedented detail and variety – a place you learn and master, while constantly finding more. The range of assets used is incredible, meaning every tiny area has an identity, and the layout looks more like a ‘real’ place than an arena. You know that feeling when you enter a room in a game and instantly see where you’ll be taking cover? Ground Zeroes is the opposite.

Essentially what open-world Metal Gear Solid boils down to is freedom of approach. Working your way from the camp’s fringes to the inner compound involves a hundred small decisions rather than a straight choice of route, with the terrain’s richness creating diversions everywhere. The reason this works is that GZ significantly reworks the Metal Gear control scheme, enormously refining and streamlining a moveset that felt a little baroque by the time of MGS4.

Much of how great it feels comes down to how Big Boss is animated and framed in this uneven environment – when sprinting, the camera zooms in closer as his feet pound through the mud, adjusting their angles exactly to the terrain’s contours. Simple changes make an enormous difference. Context-sensitive actions like Big Boss placing his hand on a nearby wall give useful information (I’m in cover) without breaking into the game’s flow. The transition between stealth and being spotted is marked by a jolting ‘exclamation’ sound effect, and a seconds-long minigame where you aim in slow-motion and try to take out the guard before he radios you in and begins an Alert phase.

Big Boss just feels great to control. And there’s an equal thrill to be found in the strange, irresistible mix of intelligence and gullibility in the AI soldiers you’re going against. The troops scattered around Camp Omega notice errors, get suspicious about strange footsteps, and have a distressing knack of checking over their shoulder just as you creep up. On Hard mode they become superb antagonists, much smarter and more attentive to suspicious movements. They’re great fun to toy with, if you can keep Snake hidden, and the option of interrogating them for tactical information or (even better) holding them up for dog tags soon becomes a compulsion.

The default keyboard and mouse controls are so good I stuck with them, though any action can be re-bound. While aiming with a mouse more than makes up for it, the only real loss is the analogue movement of Snake. This is compensated for by walk / sprint keys modifying the default pace – which works fine, but isn’t quite the same.

I couldn’t help but feel a little sparkle of Koj dust, too, on noticing that turning on the lights in a vehicle is bound to ‘L.’ Almost every other key is clustered around your left hand, so you have to quickly glance down and take one hand ‘off the wheel’ to switch them on.

This might be coincidence in another game. But with Metal Gear Solid you always have total faith in the director’s attention to detail. The effects are on another level. When Snake executes a perfect headshot, the sound effect suggests bone being crushed – not in a rewarding way, like a ‘ping’ in Counter-Strike, but as a vaguely unsettling full stop. When Snake gets shot there’s a blood spatter effect – except look closer and you realise it’s film stock, burning in the lens.

The point to all of this is that Ground Zeroes, taken at face value, is a small thing. One map, multiple missions. But the more attention you pay, the more there is. I once described this as quality over quantity which, on reflection, isn’t quite fair – because the sheer quality of the game gives it much more body than first appears.

A game, for me, justifies its existence if it gives you at least one thing to love. What I love about Ground Zeroes is seeing a gap between two patrolling soldiers I’ve never seen before – and sprinting across at just the right moment. I love destroying watchtowers with grenade launchers and watching them collapse like Jenga. I love nicking a truck, unseen, and then going around the base at a low enough speed that no-one notices the driver. I love booby-trapping AA guns, calling in my chopper, and sending them sky-high just as it comes in to land. I love choosing the tune that my chopper plays as it descends.

Such things may seem minor. But the greatness of Metal Gear Solid games, and the reason for the fandom surrounding them, is in this blend of stylistic and mechanical integrity. A lot of the value in Ground Zeroes, to put it another way, is in experimenting with consistent tools in one of the best AI toyboxes ever made.

That’s not for everyone, and fair enough. Ground Zeroes best serves existing Metal Gear Solid fans, and the kind of player who’s into self-improvement. If you like to play a game once and it’s done, pass on by. If you’re on the fence, wait a few months for it to go on sale. But if you like games about getting better, where you’re mastering deep systems and having your skills progressively tested, then Ground Zeroes is the best 50-hour demo you’ll ever play.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is out later today.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

Well that made my mind up, roll on 6pm.

2. DarkLiberator says:

How’s the performance in the game?

• Shadow says:

I’d like to second this question.

• Melonfodder says:

Bad news first: the game is capped at 60fps which is going to be annoying for those who wishes to play on high hz monitors. Good news is that it’s ridiculously easy to hit 60fps. A friend of mine is hitting 60fps even on a 1gb vram ol’ GPU, and with my settings (on a fairly old PC) is hitting it with room to spare, even with the PC-specific bells and whistles added on.

It’s a treat to play a game that ‘just works’ for me.

EDIT: Some people were reporting crashes when they had some USB controllers plugged in though?

• Kitsunin says:

I’ve got a GTX 760 myself, and I can run everything on Ultra without even dipping below 60 for an instant, which is a rare sight, and so, so refreshing after the stutter-fest that is Inquisition. I’ve read that people with dual cores have even been able to run it decently, so I think it’s safe to say that for a modern AAA game, it is not very taxing at all.

• Geebs says:

On a GTX 750M at 1440×900, it runs completely smoothly with everything but shadows turned all of the way up.

3. PopeRatzo says:

Is it better or worse than Splinter Cell Blackilst, and does it play as well on a PC as that game?

• MistaJah says:

What I’m interested in is how do MGSV, Blacklist and Chaos Theory compare together? I like the latter game.

• Talksintext says:

Can’t speak for MGS, but as someone who loved SC:CT for a long time, Blacklist was definitely an improvement over the DA (on PC at least) and Conviction messes. The levels were significantly t less linear than Conviction, which felt like it was on rails most of the time, and there were a nice variety of mission types to appeal to different fans. The UI and non-UI “hints” were much better, as in the game didn’t go monochrome the second you were “in cover”, as in Conviction (worst design decision ever).

I felt it was a good return to what made the first 3 SCs so excellent, while retaining some of the more “fun” aspects of Conviction’s evolution.

My biggest gripe by far, and why I wouldn’t recommend the game, was the lack of saving. I know savescumming is a perennial issue in these sorts of games, but not even allowing a single or two saves per level was heinous. There were plenty of places in the campaign levels that were very long/difficult to get through between save checkpoints, and there were the Grimm missions which HAD to be completed effectively in “ghost” mode without any checkpoints or saves, meaning one misstep easily would erase 30min of effort, and you could do that 10 times before acing the mission. Yeah, sure, it made the accomplishment all the more rewarding, but at some point the sheer pain of accomplishing it erases whatever positives come from the feat. Blacklist certainly crossed that fine line, then turned around and snapped its neck.

So, it depends on how masochistic you are, whether to get Blacklist or not. As someone who is personally quite masochistic, it’s not worth it, and I won’t be replaying it ever despite being otherwise an excellent stealth-action game on par with CT or the best of Thief.

• HothMonster says:

I was super surprised at how good Blacklist was. If you’re a fan of the series you should enjoy it. IMO it’s the best splinter cell we have seen in a very long time.

4. Thankmar says:

“when sprinting, the camera zooms in closer as his feet pound through the mud”

Thats the one thing I liked about Gears of War. Very stylish.

• DanMan says:

adjusting their angles exactly to the terrain’s contours

NERDGASM!!!111oneone

5. omf says:

Great review. I was well into my 50th hour with the game on PS4 when everyone was complaining about how short it was. Clearly they’d missed the point of the game. Glad to see the PC version has gotten Kojima’s (in)famous attention to detail.

• Hanban says:

I think I’m on 30ish hours. There’s a lot to do if one is up for it. I view Ground Zeroes sort of like Substance/Subsistence with the VR missions. If you enjoy time attack and things like that Ground Zeroes is just perfect.

• Shadow says:

I still can’t wrap my head around the notion of a game which can be beaten in one hour supposedly having around 50 hours of content. How’s that? I’m not very keen on replaying the same hour of content over and over in slightly different ways. Is that how it is or am I mistaken?

Personally, I’m glad this and The Phantom Pain are coming to the master platform, with great controls and hopefully great performance as well. I’m sure TPP will be well worth 60 dollars, but I can’t yet decide whether this prologue is worth its hefty asking price.

• HothMonster says:

It’s not a linear map. It’s a decently big sprawling thing.

The 1 hour core of the game is basically the prologue of a full game. A long intro mission book-ended by some cinematics.

The extra 49 hours are other non-canon missions. You go back to the same map but have different goals to accomplish. So it’s not like your replaying the same mission over and over. While you are on the same level the missions are different and will have you spending time in different parts of the map or approaching areas very differently because of your different goals.

So it’s not that you are replaying the same content with slight differences but you are running around in the same small sandbox.

It’s not something I could sit down and play through for 50 hours like an actual full game. But it was fun coming back to it (had it on ps4) once a week or so and playing for a few hours. It felt fresh, I didn’t feel like I was grinding through the same shit for 50 minutes to try something new for 10 minutes or anything like that.

• Shadow says:

That’s fairly good to hear. I’m seriously considering a purchase, especially due to the temporarily not-so-wild price, courtesy of Steam’s 33% discount.

Also, I would like to chip in and support PC releases of MGS games: with any luck, and provided GZ/TPP does well, Kojima will take the platform seriously and consider releasing future games (and HD remakes of past ones!) on it.

• welverin says:

Well we got Metal Gear Rising, and now Ground Zeroes, and they’ve committed to The Phantom Pain. So as long as that doesn’t bomb I think future games are a given. Unfortunately porting old games isn’t terribly likely.

• Niko says:

A lot of people play, say, MOBAs and online FPS all the time, and it’s not like they see new *content* often after they played for a while.

6. Wowbagger says:

I have to say I bounced off this on PS3 – I’m a big fan of the earlier entries but couldn’t bring myself to put time in to this.

7. Drake Sigar says:

There’s no way you’ll convince me the initial price was anywhere close to reasonable.

• Ross Angus says:

How about with hugs?

• lomaxgnome says:

Didn’t you know? Console gamers pay three times as much for everything to subsidize us PC gamers. This launched on PC today at $13. In less than a year it will probably be $5. Life is good.

8. iainl says:

Is this going to make any sense at all to someone whose last attempt at the MGS series was getting about halfway through the PS1 game? The sequels all put me off with cutscenes. I hate cutscenes.

• Jinoru says:

You’re not going to understand the plot points in GZ without understanding the most recent Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which isn’t on PC, only on PSP and rereleased in HD for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Though if you remember the first initial scene in MGS1, then you’ll get the reference in the first initial scene in GZ. ;)

• iainl says:

Oh, if it’s just plot points, I’ll be fine. Part of hating cutscenes is that I don’t care about plot, just things that I actually do as a character while I control them.

• Jinoru says:

Controls are far better than any MG game in the past I feel. Its definitely a modern Metal Gear game in practically every regard.

• perrypanic says:

They do actually have a short text recap of the events of Peace Walker. I played every game except Peace Walker and I understood everything that was going on (probably missed a few references but that’s not so bad).

Ground Zeroes is significantly lighter on cutscenes. One at the start and one at the end (both 5-10 mins) and two very short ones in the main story mission (around a minute each).

• Jinoru says:

I actually forgot about that recap! I’ve been playing MGS1 and it has a recap of MG and MG2 in it which is nice. Kojima did a good job puting the story in a fairly accessible form (at least to read, not necesarilly understand) in each game, and even having the MGS4 database was nice too.

9. Rizlar says:

Highly replayable, standalone prologue demo sounds a lot like the MGS2 demo back in the day – the ship level where you are controlling Snake. Played sooo much of it on my PS2…

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Me too. There was just so much to play with, I kept going back again and again.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It is a lot like that. It is the reason I bought it on PS3 when it came out.

I just bought it again based on how much I liked it the first time and I want to see the fancy-pants graphics. This also includes both console exclusive missions.

10. Orija says:

Wait, “widespread use of torture”? According to newspaper reports they used torture on hardly more than two dozen detainees in any given year. If you wanna know torture, go to a prison in any third world country where men have their testicles electrocuted and made to eat their own cut-out flesh because getting a confession out of the accused is much easier than carrying out a thorough investigation.

• Machinations says:

Ah yes, the old we torture but hey look at those other, third world countries. Theyre really bad.

The point is when the US is operating at the same level as dictators in banana republics, Houston we have a problem. I find Americans suffer from extreme cognitive dissonance on this subject. It seems torture is only bad if its not the US doing it.

American exceptionalism, aint it grand.

• Orija says:

No, I am a guy living in a shitty part of the world, the “Murrica, fuck yea!” thing doesn’t apply to me. Was the torture avoidable? Yes. Did it yield any results? No. The CIA should be censured and forbidden from using such tactics again, I don’t see why there needs to be a monumental outrage over this.

• subedii says:

I don’t see why there needs to be a monumental outrage over this.

Because torture of human beings is insufferable and complete BS on any number of levels, and people both in the US and abroad keep trying to justify it. And they are most certainly not being censured or being held accountable for it. Which could possibly… maybe… explain some people getting upset about it. It’s not exactly an inscrutable viewpoint here.

And of course, part of the outrage is also because people frequently attempt to bypass the argument with “well other people are WORSE” statements. Which, you know, if you’re judging the standards of your behaviour in purely binary terms of whether or not you’ve placed yourself above the very worst of humanity, then you’ve already lost the argument.

This leaving the side track that anyone they wanted to torture but didn’t directly, they simply shipped off elsewhere and observed from a one-way mirror. Hey hands off approach, WE didn’t touch anyone right?

• Orija says:

• Shadow says:

A democratic nation which incessantly boasts about its freedom should hold itself to a better standard than being among the worst in this regard among developed countries. So yeah, those “few dozen” cases are important and should be investigated.

That the scum of the Earth (read: not the extreme generalization that is “any Third World country”) does worse is irrelevant.

• subedii says:

There you go again, talking about addressing “other people” first. That is not an argument to prevent looking at other incidents, particularly internal ones. ESPECIALLY internal ones. Be that as it may:

This isn’t “The World”. This is a US Senate report, made at the behest of the US Congress, into the use of Torture by the US Intelligence agency known as the CIA. An investigation that has been ongoing for years and has been blocked at every turn by CIA, which went as far as hacking into the proceedings of the oversight committee assigned to investigate, and outright attempting to sue them for doing their appointed task.

It is very much a priority of the US Congress to keep US intelligence agencies in check, CERTAINLY before others.

“The World” has generally never had a problem condemning torture, wherever it happens. Whether it’s Amnesty International reports on Saudi Arabia, or through to UN HRC reports on North Korea. You can even search for and download them right now if you like.

• Jad says:

“Then I’d say the world has a fucked up sense of priorities if it goes after a few dozen cases rather than the nations where torture is systemic in the military and punitive institutions.”

Usually, I agree with these kind of sentiments, where people in the rich world grandstand about the small-scale stuff that is close to home and “trendy” while ignoring much worse things farther away. A perfect example is the hysteria that exploded in the United States earlier this year about a couple of (well-contained) Ebola cases over here while many were dismissive of the thousands dying over in West Africa.

However, an issue here is that the United States truly does function as an example for much of the world on ethical issues like this. There were parts of the US government (which is not monolithic in support of torture) that were actively trying to reduce the use of torture in those third-world prisons back during the Bush years that suddenly had way less of a leg to stand on and no moral high ground when the news that the CIA was torturing people leaked out. That is a big reason why torture by the US was a bad idea, along with all the other ones.

Even if the world didn’t have its priorities “fucked up” and were going after the bad guys out there with the correct fervor, those countries now have a lot of cover to ignore the world because they can just point to America, the most powerful country in the world and the world’s foremost practitioner of “soft power” (along with plenty of “hard power”), and say “well they torture, so shut up”.

• ffordesoon says:

Wait a second. So you think the CIA should be censured and forbidden from ever taking such measures again, but you don’t think anyone should be angry that said measures were taken?

I am legit baffled right now. Like, how would you prefer we react to a government which says it’s above torture having performed torture?

“I don’t want to make a big deal out of this or anything, but you guys kind of committed acts that are technically crimes against humanity. I would really appreciate it if you didn’t do that again, m’kay? M’kay. Now get back out there and win the ballgame, slugger!”

What!?

• Synesthesia says:

Where’s your humanity?

• SuicideKing says:

As a guy living in a third world country, I’d rather America first seriously look at, and get outraged over, things that are happening under their own laws and in their own country under their own organisations, and set an example in the process, before lecturing anyone else in the world about it.

(And everyone else in the world can easily say “hey, if the US does it, so can we!” or “how can you point fingers at us?!”)

• tumbleworld says:

Never any point in trying to discuss things with someone whose entire argument is based on the fallacy of relative privation. Just push the ‘block’ button, and move on.

• Neutrino says:

Conversely, no point trying to argue with someone who sees everything as absolutes.

Everything is relative, there are no absolutes.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I’ve an uncle named Absolute.

• Emeraude says:

I’ve an uncle named Absolute.

I have one named Légendaire. Clearly they need to team up to fight international crime.

Among which the institutionalized use of torture.

• Josh W says:

It’s actually pretty hard to make that statement apply to itself; you can’t say “there are no absolutes”, because that is itself an absolute, and if you say something like “some things are more absolute than others”, you defy the point of the statement. One thing that works reasonably well is sounding like an old person; “when you look at absolute things for a while, you find out that they are not so absolute”.

• Emeraude says:

@Josh W

That or you realize the sentence “there are no absolutes” is perfectly possible since its ellipse object happens to be “real-life enfolding situations”.

Which doesn’t prevent logic-based ones to exist. In formal logic, absolutes do exist, and are, in fact, necessary to the process.

• Somerled says:

“Everything is relative, there are no absolutes. ”

Try telling that to a tortured detainee.

• Josh W says:

@E
            I think it still works though, because saying “there are no absolutes in real situations”, is still an absolute claim about real life situations. If there are no absolutes at all, then there are absolutely no absolutes, which means the statement applies absolutely, so there are absolutes etc.

It’s a self-falsifying statement … which also starts to make the word absolute look very odd. Does it have something to do with solubility?

• Emeraude says:

Does it have something to do with solubility?

Yes, as the French Revolution proved, you can dissolve Absolute Monarchy in acid.

• ScottTFrazer says:

Oh, it was only 24 people per year? Most of them completely innocent? I’m sure Amnesty International will give us a pass on that, then.

:rolleyes:

• Orija says:

It’s not like they give a shit about Amnesty International’s views.

• TheApologist says:

Oh. Well. That’s fine then.

• Shadow says:

Powerful countries only respect international organizations as long as they don’t get in the way of their interests. International law bends to the will of the top dogs. The US gave the UN the finger when it forbade the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Likewise, the UN is powerless to stop Russia from annexing chunks of Ukraine as they please.

• Diatribe says:

The US doesn’t need to give the UN the finger, what with having a permanent Security Council veto.

• Emeraude says:

I hear some people nicknamed it “The Finger”.

11. Anthile says:

How great could it possibly be? When you compare these images
    link to rockpapershotgun.com
    link to rockpapershotgun.com

then I’d say the new Sniper: Ghost Warrior is going to be at least four times as good.

12. Smashbox says:

13. HiFiHair says:

I’ve always been rather fond of the Metal Gear games and put up with their excesses. But I’ve been totally put off Ground Zeroes since reading about the bomb scene and the content of the collectible tapes.

Tim Martin talked about the content in question in his review for The Telegraph (penultimate two paragraphs): Link

• Thankmar says:

If this Tim Martin is correct, then it is very disturbing. My interest for this game vaporized.

• J-Force says:

Here is a video from NerdCubed who went into detail on that part of the plot and the ‘reward’ tape:

link to youtube.com

It’s quite good, but 90% negative – he was pretty pissed off by Ground Zeroes for reasons discussed in the video.

I personally don’t like Metal Gear, but the decision to both make a £40 demo and go for a more, to quote this article ‘mature’ (I think ‘sick’ but opinion opinion etc.) plot took my interest. It is safe to say I will not be touching MG with a barge pole any time soon.

• Crimsoneer says:

Wow, that’s horrible. I so want to defend MGS, but that’s just crass as fucking shit.

Also, THAT’S where the second bomb was? That is BLAAH. Despite being fucking weird as hell, I feel it’s also fundamentally misunderstanding female anatomy, and can ONLY be there for the sake of creepy titillation. It’s not like an extra pair of fucking pockets.

• SuicideKing says:

That’s really fucked up. Really, really, fucked up. I’m surprised RPS didn’t notice this.

• Wedge says:

I dunno, this all seems perfectly in-line with having Jack Bauer as Snake.

14. XhomeB says:

Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain seem to be evolving the series in the right direction – much more open maps, more freedom, less emphasis on cutscenes. Not a bad thing, not a bad thing at all.
    Any chance of the HD collection getting a PC release down the road? I’ve got some catching up to do as far as the storyline is concerned and it’d be nice to get a native PC version of MGS3.

15. amateurviking says:

Jeebus I cannae keep up with the MGS plot/protagonists. I keep on meaning to go back and play 2, 3, 4 and PW but, well, that’s a lot of game even if I really really loved the first MGS (I missed the boat on the PS2/3 era fairly spectacularly.

16. cdx00 says:

I came into this review expecting to cringe, being a hardcore MGS fan, but I leave smiling. Thank you. Excellent write-up.

17. Kraizk says:

Important note to those of you who use Inverted mouse. This does not work at the moment. You can select it in options all you want however it will not be inverted……

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

This is a total game breaker for me. Unfortunately I didn’t see your post until AFTER I bought the game so for now it’s just decorating my steam library. I REALLY hope they patch this soon …

• marksman says:

This is a f**king shame! And I must say I’m kind of worried… I wrote to Konami support and this is what they told me:

“This issue might be caused fr sveral sources. We recommend you the following:

– Update your graphic card drivers
        – Verify steam cache files
        – Uninstall and reinstall the game.

Best wishes,”

I mean… really? How graphic drivers or cache files may interfere with an input device! Anyway I tried the first two bullets but they (of course) didn’t help at all. I refuse to uninstall and reinstall the game, it’s just stupid.

18. The Sombrero Kid says:

I’ve never seen a greater example of the auteur myth being perpetuated.

I was hoping for an RPS review that discussed the controversy surrounding the game and Kojima. I’ve heard what happens etc. but It’s difficult to tell if it’s distasteful to me without playing it (my gut says it is) & I’m fairly confident my tastes largely align with the general editorial barometer here & that of the regular contributors, but this review seems aimed at people who were already going to buy it because it has Kojimas name on it.

Think I’ll read into the fact none of the main writers wanted to tackle this review and assume the game isn’t for me.

• Kaeoschassis says:

All I’m really going to say to this is that people’s names have selling power for a reason. If you know Kojima’s work and you trust him to tackle this story and setting properly, you’ll probably buy the game based on his name, yes.
      As for you personally, if you don’t want to take the risk of spending time and money on something that you’re not going to get enjoyment out of – and possibly even end up feeling worse instead of better – then that’s your decision and I’d say not buying the game is a pretty good choice, there are plenty of other things you can go play, right enough.
      I dunno if you’ve played past Metal Gears or not? Picking one of those up cheap as a way to sample both the gameplay and Kojima’s approach might not be a bad idea if you haven’t completely made up your mind.

• Crimsoneer says:

You don’t hear about the “controversial” bit without collecting a bunch of tapes, which most players, and i assume this reviewer, didn’t get to. I suspect they’d find it distasteful at best when they got to it.

19. Oakreef says:

I’ve always loved the gameplay of the Metal Gear Solid series (sans Peace Walker) but I’ll eat my hat the day Kojima’s writing matures.

20. DrManhatten says:

This is definitely one of the best looking and visual stunning PC games I’ve played this year without crippling your machine to the ground (take note CryTek this is how you do it). The atmosphere is great as ever. Kojima is still by far one of the best Japanese game designers and unlike some of his Japanese colleagues not over-rated.

21. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I choose to believe that the fact that Keifer barely says 3 lines in this means that his involvement is a ruse, and Phantom Pain will in fact be voiced by David Hayter. It wouldn’t be the first time Kojima pulled some wacky shit like this. Otherwise he may as well take the franchise behind the barn and shoot it, as far as I’m concerned.

22. akbarovich says:

Thanks for not telling us mouse invert on the Y axis doesn’t work. This an utter gamebreaker for lots of people. Maybe he was reviewing it on his CONSOLE…