Pay To Be A Sweary Lady: Payday 2 DLC Blast

The 'Dublin Police Department'? I didn't know there was any such thing.

I’m torn. On one hand, I would very much like to play as a lady in Payday 2. On the other, I don’t want to support the foolishness that is selling the only female character for £4 as DLC. I still feel a bit of a wally for buying Killing Floor‘s lady zombie-shooter. But I do like how the Payday gang’s female member, Clover, is a sweary, excitable Irish lady (hey, this link will make loud noises). Ah, I’ll decide later. This week also brought a new DLC heist, but it doesn’t sound like a great buy.

I do like that developers Overkill decided to add a female character as, you know, for obvious reasons I kinda like the option to play as a gamelady. I get that a lot of work – and voicework! – went into creating Clover but paying to feel remotely represented in a game makes me mutter and grumble. Clover’s pack does also bring a new perk deck, the stealthy Burglar, and new weapons, but £4! And given that Payday 2 only allows one of each characters on a team, really you’re paying for a chance to play as her. Mumble grumble. It’s on Steam if you’re less indecisive than I.

Meanwhile, £5 would get you the new Diamond Heist, a crack at stealing a cursed diamond. Steam user reviews suggest it’s small and not very interesting to replay.

I only started playing Payday 2 a few months back but I’ve been enjoying it a lot. I would like to play as a sweary Irish lady. I would not particularly like to pay £4 to do so. Hmm! Perhaps if it came with The Diamond Heist too. Here’s the weird setup for that:

1. jezcentral says:

I suppose, if you want the option to play as a woman for free, the alternative is to wait until Payday 3.

I don’t have a problem with this, as I don’t think the costs would have been factored in when they did the main game. Mind you, now that they have done this, they should get dragged over the coals if they don’t include female options in any sequels.

Should they have given you this originally? I’m caught between it-would-have-been-nice, and the fact that very few films/books/[media of your choice] like this have a Vasquez. (Which shows 1) this sort of thing should be done more, and 2) when it is done right, it fits in perfectly).

EDIT: I admit that the rarity of roles like this is one of the things that make Vasquez iconic. :(

• Detocroix says:

Also Vasquez (I assume you mean her from Aliens) isn’t written to act like an asshole, just act like she is. Majority of the “Badass Females” in games like this are lazily written to be assholes because assholes means cool and strong, right?

• Terragot says:

“Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?”

“No, have you?”

bit better than “FUCK ME HARD” or promoting the walking dead comics, isn’t it.

• Zankman says:

But… You know… She IS supposed to be an asshole, not a badass, no?

All of them are, I mean, they’re criminals from various “rough” backgrounds. Being badass is just a side effect.

Plus, the “fuck me (hard)” thing is common in the UK within various demographics.

2. RedViv says:

Actual Irish voice actress for Irish speaking parts? Look at them happy out jumping over all videogame rules there. What did this world come to?

• SIDD says:

In all fairness, they also use actual Russians for the Russian speaking parts….something Hollywood can’t even manage

3. wondergra says:

“Dublin Police Dept” though?

• puppybeard says:

Dude, it’s obviously Dublin, Ohio.
      I’ve never met a woman called Clover, although I do like the kitsch approach to naming characters.

• drewski says:

Given that the rest of the Payday 2 cast are called Chains, Hoxton, Dallas, Wolf and Houston, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that realistic names aren’t exactly high on the Payday 2 devs requirement list.

Unless, of course, you’ve got three mates named Chains.

• commentingaccount says:

They’re all code names, and a few of them have had their real names partially revealed(Hoxton’s last name is Hoxworth).

• DrollRemark says:

Please tell me he has a huge beard and tattoos (I haven’t played Pay Day).

• TinKelp says:

DrollRemark, doing some achievements for the White Xmas heist unlocks a beard you can wear instead of a mask. Is that good enough?

Oakreef says:

In fairness if it actually said an Garda Síochána 99% of the target audience would have no clue what the hell that was.

Earl-Grey says:

Thank goodnes they gave her a shillelagh.
    How am I to tell that she’s Oirish otherwise?

I trust they’ll make sure to name their character contribution from the African continent Bwana Mkubwa, give him massive stretched lips and earlobes, and arm him with an assegai.

I should add a smiley here, I am after all, how you say, making ze joke.

• Niko says:

Earl-Gray? Are you Lord Custard Smingleigh’s cat?

• Llewyn says:

Fairly obviously not. He is making ze joke and claws were not involved at all.

Earl-Grey says:

I am not, and have never been, Lord Smingleigh’s cat.

But I have it on good authority that Smingleigh is indeed Earl Grey’s human.
          Apropos, the catnip supply is running dangerously low, apparently.

Oakreef says:

Listening to her lines they’re absolutely great though.

Earl-Grey says:

She does indeed sound splendid, all credit to the actor and the people who cast her.

5. Wret says:

I would suggest waiting for all the DLC to go on sale for 99 cents a piece. Or yeah, waiting on PD3, their level design has been all over the place in terms of quality for 2.

6. drewski says:

Payday 2 DLC always seems rather optimistically priced to me.

In the sales it’s often down to impulse buy level though.

7. Rizlar says:

Don’t like to think of myself as an entitled baby or anything but I was expecting this new character to be free. I guess what you are really paying for is the new skill tree and other gubbins, it’s just a shame they had to stick the only female character behind that same paywall when all the other characters have been free.

Generally Overkill have been really good with the Payday2 DLC though. You don’t need to own maps to play on them, there are lots of free updates as well as loads and loads of crap to buy. The pricing does seem a bit steep for what you get, it all gets a lot more appealing when it is reduced.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

Just some pedantry here, but it’s a perk deck, not a skill tree. I don’t think Overkill would actually charge for anything as game-changing as a skill tree. They’ve been pretty careful not to do stuff that would piss people off, and adding a skill tree and charging for it would do exactly that, I suspect.

• EveryoneIsWrong says:

I would keep expectations pretty low when it comes to that sort of thing. I find remaining a fan of Overkill is highly dependent on my ability to keep my expectations low and just accept each new transgression.

8. Christo4 says:

These games have way too many dlc’s…
    If it was mostly cosmetic like Killing Floor then fine, but payday 2 has too many options locked behind dlc for me to purchase it. I mean, you can never really have the complete game, unless you buy it at the end.

• Cross says:

Thing is, all the maps can be played without you owning the DLC as long as *someone* does, and that’s where the majority of the content is. You can’t honestly expect the devs to still be churning away a year and a half after release in exchange for kind words and an occasional cappuchino.

• Hallgrim says:

They are churning away to sell more copies of their game. Since when is supporting an online community for your own game an entirely altruistic endeavor?

• Blaaaaaaag says:

Well, they do have a GOTY bundle now that includes everything. It was on sale for something like 40 bucks the other day, might still be.

9. Skeletor68 says:

Enjoying the ‘Deadly’. Needs more ‘Feck’ though.

10. Monkeh says:

While I think being able to play your own gender in video-games is not at all necessary, it does seem rather weird that they gave out two free [male] characters and now have you pay for this [female] one.

• lowprices says:

She will have been twice as hard to animate, though.

• shoptroll says:

Wasn’t one of those free male characters a tie-in promotion (which probably subsidized the development cost) though? But yeah, it does seem odd unfortunately.

11. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

I do get why people are a bit annoyed that she’s not included in the heist, but I looked at it this way; I’m showing them how much I do want a woman character to play as by purchasing her dlc so that they can see there is a demand and hopefully won’t have to prove to some head honcho they need to be inclusive in the future, they can just do it. Of course, they could just keep women characters as a paid dlc but I took the chance. I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my money either. I like supporting the game, and I really like Clover. She fits in well, her voicework is great and she actually looks like a real tough woman, not a cliché leather clad vixen.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

+1 to everything you said. Her voice-work is the best in the game, that actress probably did some damage to her vocal folds in the name of that performance. I think they hit her look perfectly, too. I’m glad her shirt is buttoned up. She’s a respectable and badass heister.

12. Deston says:

Hey Alice – it’s actually possible to play as Clover without buying the DLC or cheating.

What you need to do is select say Wolf (just an example) as your character, then have a friend who also picked Wolf as their default character start a lobby. When you join and can’t get your preferred character, it seems to default you to Clover a lot at the moment, even if you don’t have the DLC. If it doesn’t work first time, just leave and rejoin until it does.

Not quite the same as just owning the DLC I know, and I completely agree with you on this DLC release unfortunately being a bit fudged by OVK… But at least there is a way to be a bad arse Irish lady!

I’m sure it’ll be on sale soon too. When I see it for a quid or two I’m much more likely to pick it up, especially for the very enticing Queen’s Wrath.

13. MrFlakeOne says:

Finally a game which doesn’t sexualise a female character, instead making her look like a regular drunkard and values her at 4 GBP.

14. ExitDose says:

But she’s not wearing a bikini or a leather cat suit. This can’t be real, can it?

15. Durandir says:

While I agree with the fact that having to pay for using one character in a game, a character you don’t even see yourself while playing, is normally pretty stupid, I bought this right away just to support Overkill. The way I see it they are doing great work, and I just like supporting them. So yeah, I completely understand anyone who say it is crazy to pay for one character, but I feel it is worth it.

She is also the only character that is my exact age, so I’ll play as her despite the wrong gender thing.

16. Jalan says:

That (original, non-discounted) price on the GOTY edition though…

I’d buy it, just to avoid buying every DLC bit by bit but it looks like the base game is what I’m going to settle with until a better discount or deal rolls along.

17. buzzmong says:

To be fair, I think Overkill were planning on charging for Old Hoxton if the community group hadn’t hit their targets, and the only reason we got the (pointless) John Wick for free was because it was paid for by a movie studio.

While I was expecting the Heist and Clover to actually come as a single DLC, and have slight grievences as some of the previous DLC, namely Armoured Transport and Big Bank, came with a lot more content at a similar price point, I can’t begruge what they’re doing with the DLC as it is pretty much entirely optional and they have given out quite a bit of free content as well.

18. Shadowcat says:

Everything gets pretty intense from around 16:00. It sure builds to a surreal climax, though: link to youtube.com

Also, I get the impression that bulldozers are of quite extraordinary import in this game, for some reason.

19. EveryoneIsWrong says:

The generosity of overkill’s DLC pricing seems inversely proportional to their current level of success.

20. scut says:

Clover owns. Chains is now my benchwarmer for when someone else has selected her as their character. I do wish they had added Clover as a free DLC, everyone should have a shot at wrecking the world through her eyes.

Payday 2 is like a track day car. You purchase it with a frivolous spirit and whenever you need a cheap thrill you buy an add-on and give it a whirl.

To those who want all the bells and whistles but are willing to be patient; add the DLC to your wishlist and grab them when they come on sale. They seem to get discounted a few times a year.