What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Visions to appear in, heads to cannon off...

Come on dear, come tell your Auntie Alice what you’ve been up to. Oh I know, Auntie Alice is a hunched old maid and her hands are withered like bark, but don’t mind the leaves in her hair. Don’t. Don’t mind them. Don’t mind. Don’t even… pretend they’re not there. It’s fine. Come on, scooch up and tell me: what are you playing this weekend? Failing that, write your response on a leaf and gently blow it to the wind; I’ll find it.

This weekend I’ll be playing the game of ‘figure out if I could practically stay in a cabin in the woods over Christmas with a bicycle, books, and whiskey’.

Then I might launch into Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes if I figure out how well it’ll run on this ageing lump of metal. Maybe more Joylancer as I’d really like to be less awful at it. I keep meaning to revive Alice’s Evening Walk – as I keep saying – but am not sure where to head next in our grand tour of walking simulators. Digging back into the load I have installed would help, and it’d be nice to revisit some anyway.

I’m also continuing my explorations into French music. I really, really do not get on well with French pop. It is so very twee. I feel I’ve spent too many hours listening to people sing in breathy voices, so now I’m on Charlie Foxtrot (though they’re Québécois).

Oh, but who wants to hear about Auntie Alice’s problems. Come on dear, tell me all about you.

1. dfuse says:

Dark Souls! After having played Demon Souls years ago, I had forgotten how good the Souls games are. Totally absorbing, during the day when my kids are quite for 5 minutes I lookup weapon stats and builds and fantasize about tactics. At night I execute my plans!

2. Morph says:

Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Now obviously the game is good, I’ve sunk 60+ hours into it so far and there will be many more to come. But my word this game is so padded out! For all the talk of these huge areas you get to explore they’re really just repetitive scenery full of almost pointless mini quests to just hoover up as you go along, Assassin’s Creed style. It makes each quest feel less important when in your mind you’re just clearing icons off a map.

It makes me miss DA2. For all its faults at least there was some focus, I played it through 3 times to try the different character types. DA:I has such huge, interesting choices to make I would love to play it a second time but I’m currently worried I’ll burn out before completing it even once.

• Tickers says:

Going to be on Dragon Age here, too. I’ve put loads of time into it and it’s really fun, but yeah there does seem to be a lot of padding, or quests where I’m not really sure what the point of them was

• Sorbicol says:

Same here, although I’m struggling through the performance problems the second patch has brought. Still got it running in a more or less playable state at the moment.

I agree with your ‘padding’ comments though. Some of it is very very repeatitive and you over level for the main storyline quests very quickly it would seem.

• bleeters says:

I’m entirely content to just ignore the game until they iron out the performance issues. I didn’t buy a gtx 970 so I could have games run ok some of the time and be a stuttery mess the rest of it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I don’t know, i always felt like there is a truckload of diversity in landscape and history, with a level of microdetail in each single place that rivals the care put into games with small corridors, making Skyrim and other and the likes feeling almost rushed in comparison. Most of the areas are not even needed for the mainquest.

This time around it’s completely our responsibility to craft our own journey, and that’s something that can end up horribly for people like me who like to clear everything, but you’re not really supposed to do that if you don’t want and i feel you got caught into “Hinterlands burnout”.

Best thing to do if you want to stay into the 50+ hours is to explore every single zone but to do so lightly, you’ll also get more varied crafting materials this way. I’m trying to complete everything in my new playthrough but it’s not something i recommend to everyone, but i’m pretty amused by the variety of the best zones and all the hidden quests and extra content i’m finding even just by talking more with people, let alone exploring. Sometimes it’s even pretty important plot related stuff.

I think Bioware made a mistake with the first area being so big and so “mundane”, most people keep playing after that without realizing that they already got burned at the start and they are now just slogging through the rest of the content with a bitter feeling, which doesn’t really help appreciating all the rest.

I can only recommend that area to those who know how to clear that fast in another playthrough, you get a truckload of agents in no time, just don’t escort a druffalo if what you want is the exciting stuff, unless you want to unleash it into the lv12 rift nearby that is.

As of now i’m doing everything including dragons while taking my time with it, even two extra weeks if needed, it’s a Nightmare mode playthrough in which i want the best items, all the war table things completed properly, different plot choices and in general all the various sub plot elements handled completely and everything explored, but that is the only instance in which i feel doing all-the-things make sense, and only if you already evaluated that you feel like it in advance.

• Rizlar says:

Yep, this. The environments are amazing, full of detail and variety. The Storm Coast is probably still my favourite zone (what can I say, I like to be beside the seaside). Then again I have no problem just ignoring the map until I need it.

Serrit says:

Aye I think you’ve nailed why I’m loving it so much TacticalNuclearPenguin (160 hours now, but very close to tidying up before embarking on what I hope is the final mission so I can finish it before Christmas!).
        At the moment I’m loving going on twilight jogs through the expanses of the Hissing Wastes, watching as a (the?) moon casts eerie shadows on the flats and dunes…

• dsch says:

(Complaining about druffalo no longer allowed on RPS?)

3. Dilapinated says:

Probably Valkyria Chronicles! After trying it out on my friend’s PS3 when it came out yonks ago, I finally have a copy all my own. All the moe soldiers will be mine. Oh yes. I tried getting into Shadow of Mordor but found I absolutely hate it. :S So.. Not that. Think I’m going to take a break from open world killfests in general. Try to learn Crusader Kings II finally, after it sitting there, judging me from my Steam Library for so long. Finish Cherry Tree High Comedy Club so I can play the sequel.

Apart from that, boardgames with a friend today, as he’s heading off, never to return to these fair isles. Dunno what I’ll bring to that yet. Doom: The Boardgame ever tempts me, but bringing huge dungeon-crawly 5 hour games spontaneously to such events is generally frowned upon in my experience. Smash Up, Coup, Shadow Hunters, The Witches, Saboteur.. All are likely.

4. Kerrim says:

Elite: Dangerous!

5. 0positivo says:

Arena Commander 1.0
    As I expected, I burned through Elite: Dangerous pretty fast. Don’t get me wrong, elite is SPECTACULAR, and everyone who has even a passing interest in it should immediately drop everything they’re doing and play it right NOW, but it’s rather content light.
    Star Citizen is coming up really nicely, and now I even love flying my little dingy Aurora

Space games, yo! Come on No Man’s Sky, you’re missing the party :D

• Morcane says:

lol seriously, people already burned through E:D content? How is that possible?

And then you’re going to play the shallowest thing ever, SC: Arena Commander? lmao

• derbefrier says:

Ahhh the Auroa, AKA the space coffin, AKA, The Brick.

To be fair though I have come accross one or two auroa pilots the gave me a run for my money. Specially when they have a couple smart wingmen helping them out.

I am looking forward to finnaly taking the penguin(aka the avenger) out for a spin after staring at it in my hangar for so long.

• 0positivo says:

You better start fearing, because my Aurora now mounts 4 weapons, which is 2 more than the vast majority of Hornets as of this patch!

Funnily enough, the ONLY ship right now that can mount more weapons than an Aurora is the super hornet. And that thing is big and fat

Mwhahahaha!

6. sicemma says:

Got myself XCOM The Enemy Within (and a bunch of other games) with my Elite Dangerous refund, so: first time trying the Long War mod for me.

Should I start with the Not So Long War option? How long is long by these guys?

• 0positivo says:

Long is LONG. However, not so long war is not exactly balanced correctly. The game implies you will do a lot of missions to gather a lot of experience and materials, and if you don’t get that much, it’s going to advance in the “plot” faster than you get experience and gear

Basically, Not-so-long-war makes it yes, shorter, but also harder

• sicemma says:

Hmm, OK. I was chatting to a mate on steam earlier who said the way to play it is Not So Long War, then enable cheats, and give every one of your dudes one or two levels in the barracks, so you don’t end up in a meatgrinder of noob soldiers every single mission. Does that sound like it would work to rebalance it a bit for NSLW?

• 0positivo says:

You’ll still be hurting in resources (missions are your only way to replenish your alloys/elerium reserves) for engineering and, later on, even research, but it does seem like a decent enough workaround. Honestly though, I can work without experienced soldiers myself… but I cannot deal with grossly outdated gadgetry. Good luck trying to take on 3 or 4 cyberdisks with ballistic weaponry…

What I did on mine was manually altering costs for tech and production. It’s a long boring and full of mistakes process, that I don’t recommend anyone doing (doesn’t help that in the file you go to alter those variables, many are named with a criteria that looks pretty much random… I can’t remember the specifics anymore, but it was something along the lines of – maxaliens=1.543 to change the amount of meld from alien corpses….)

Honestly tho, you’ll be fine for a while. These kind of issues start appearing at mid and late in the campaign, which STILL takes a long time to complete. By that time, you’re either really into it, at which point you’ll be in the state of mind to find every single long war documentation, thinking of restarting, and tweaking everything on your own; or bored by the endless deluge of missions, by which point you’ll not want to get to the end of it

• Jack Straws says:

I’ll try to give another chance to XCOM, got around 10hrs on it only.
      It looks and feels like a great game, and I enjoyed the little I played, but everything other than the fights feels a bit overwhelming right now (research, satellite coverage, base building).

But I’ll try!

• sicemma says:

I initially hated it, especially coming off JA2 1.13 immediately beforehand. I thought the rules about allowable actions were complete nonsense and I especially hated the way you always had to refer to the overlay of cover and movement and % hit estimations, the the point where just about nothing you saw drawn on screen could be taken for granted, people would miss or hit or shoot through whatever they pleased. And the loss of all the nice base building and gear fiddling had been replaced by this stuff that seemed to be about as fiddly to deal with without actually allowing you as much control.

But.

New XCOM – it is not seriously intended as some world shattering new turn based tactical game, and the strategic layer is not intended to work as a strategy game. It is intended to work as a (simple / fast) board game. It is actually a pretty fun board game. And once I appreciated it as such it became a lot more enjoyable. The things like, well, those overwhelming/obtuse research / satellite / strategic / etc layers? They have a pretty simple linear progression that you really have no reason to deviate from much, once you know roughly how it goes (or google it). There are really limited numbers of things any soldier class should have and no real reason to change that once you get them.

And … Long War apparently changes a lot of this, so we’ll see how fun it is afterwards, I guess :)

7. Simplisto says:

After waiting since April for ebuyer to send me my Radeon Gold Reward I finally received my code. I’ve added a new ship to my Star Citizen account as well as grabbing myself a copy of Alien Isolation and Saints Row IV – so I’ll be playing a spot of Saints Row IV this weekend.

I tried out the first-person mod, but as fantastic as it is, I’d quite like my character to have a head. I’ll be installing it again after the main storyline missions, I think.

Lars Westergren says:

I suddenly had the urge to play XCOM again, especially since I never did Enemy Within. Playing on Ironman Classic difficulty this time which I’ve never completed, I have restarted maybe 20 times. Maybe I’m too pessimistic, but when I get a full party wipe of my most senior officers my experience has been it is just a long drawn out downward spiral. Even Thin Men crit kill rookies behind cover with just about every shot they fire and in a month or two I will mainly be facing Mutons, Floating Discs and Chyssalids and I’m like… naaaw, restart again.

Some Dota 2 with friends as usual.

I have two weeks of vacation now, so I’m thinking finishing Thi4f which I abandoned half-way through. Playing DA:I. Elite maybe. Maybe play through one of the short but highly praised DLC on my backlog for games I loved, like Bioshock 2: Minerva’s Den or Dishonored: Brigmore Witches.

• Sorbicol says:

You can survive a full squad wipe on XCOM although it does make things more difficult. Restarts for me are normally dependant on access to energy in the base (i.e. If there is no steam square in the first 2 levels forget it) rather than an early squad wipe. It’s a shame that enemy within doesn’t balance that given all the extra energy demands the genetic and cybernetic labs bring.

Lars Westergren says:

Which starting continent do you recommend? I always go with Europe or Africa. And losing one or two countries the first month is inevitable, right?

9. heretic says:

Auntie Alice, may I suggest some french artists/songs (most are not current, I left in the late 90s), all available on youtube

If you like rap there’s a bunch:

MC Solaar – Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo
    IAM – Petit Frère
    NTM – Laisse Pas Trainer Ton Fils

More traditional ‘chanson’ singers:

Bernard Lavilliers – Fortaleza
    Jacques Dutronc – Il Est Cinq Heures, Paris S’éveille
    Gilbert Becaud – L’Indien
    Renaud – Dans mon HLM

• SigmaCAT says:

If I can second our national heretic’s intervention, I’d just like to mention Milk Coffee & Sugar (start with Prévu – Pas Prévu (heretic, this is pour toi aussi))
      Renaud is pretty fun too, at least was when we were 10; if you’re looking for chanson, Charles Trenet is pretty old but it’s got a glorious froggy feeling. And my special winner is called Pierre Perret, you might know him for his songs on wieners

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ooh! Thank you. I’m down with some of the older chansons, espec. Jacques Dutronc and Serge Gainsbourg. I dig Jacqueline Taïeb etc. too. It’s modern stuff I’m stuck on. This is one of the most frightful pop songs I have ever heard.

Thanks for the rap recommendations! I get lost quickly, rhymes coming faster than I can understand, but it’s certainly welcome.

• Xantonze says:

Alain Bashung ftw. (albums: Fantaisie militaire, Bleu pétrole, also L’imprudence for the amazing soundscapes).

This is nice too:

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

About that horrible pop song, you should listen to the original by Renaud, not those trying to emulate him (La bande à Renaud = Renaud’s posse), though granted it’s not his best work – “Mistral gagnant” always gives me shivers of nostalgia.
        Other than that, if you want a calm and cat-in-your-lap evening, there’s always Georges Brassens, all of it. And yes, the lyrics are worth translating.

Or if you’re into rap, there’s Stupeflip — especially their song “Stupeflip vite!”, which makes the best use of a classical sample I’ve heard in rap music so far! And it has an interesting video clip: link to youtu.be

Serrit says:

I liked Yelle’s “Complètement fou” album enough to buy it after Graham linked to it in a Sunday Papers a few weeks back,

10. tr76 says:

I’m finally getting around to playing Borderlands 2 – I bought it today in the sale, having tried, and massively enjoyed it in the free weekend a while back. Also probably Boson X, which I just bought, having enjoyed the free version.

11. eggy toast says:

NEO Scavenger for me.

Really, really glad I picked this one up. NEO Scavenger and Dungeon of the Endless are easily my top two games of the year.

12. Nathan_G says:

I was going to play a bunch of Oculus shiz this weekend but I left my DK2 at work so that’s the end of that idea.

I played a couple hours of Brothers: Tale Of Two Sons last night, and it is frickin’ delightful, so I’m gonna finish that off today.

I’ll finally take a look at Hawken now that I’ve got a nice new PC that can run it.

And no doubt a bunch more Far Cry 4. I can’t get enough of it. I have played a LOT of it over the past few weeks, but I can’t actually quantify that as fucking uPlay doesn’t track playtime. I guess the “u” stands for useless?

13. spacedyemeerkat says:

Elite: Dangerous, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Crew, Forza Horizon 2 and Far Cry 4 for me, I think.

Absolutely loved DA: Origins but have struggled to get into Inquisition so far. I think that’s partly due to effectively being forced to use a controller since the mouse and keyboard controls are awful. Using a controller from a tactical perspective feels quite wrong, too. I’m also struggling with some of the game’s systems. They seem to get layered on thick and fast and I find myself wondering what I’m supposed to be doing. Graphically, it’s very nice, I must say.

• malkav11 says:

As far as I’m concerned, the only places where mouse and keyboard controls fall down are interaction and tactical mode. Interaction-wise, learn to use the F key rather than right clicks, and I find I’m pretty much golden. Tactical mode wise…well, just don’t use it and you’re golden. The combat isn’t really designed to be played that way anyway, and I’m finding just running around with the Herald and letting the other three do their own thing to be markedly more effective (if only because I remember to dodge and run away from the umpteen enemies beelining for my underarmored mage Herald.). I’m level 12 now, playing on hard, and have almost never struggled with any combat that wasn’t vastly over my level or full of enemies resistant to my primary element of damage.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well if you like to focus on your mage character then you’re golden, specialize as a Knight Enchanter and you can solo dragons even on nightmare mode.

If you are wondering, no, i’m not joking.

• malkav11 says:

So I’ve heard. Sounds a bit boring, to be honest.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It totally is, i tried myself and after your first kill you start to realize it’s just about spamming one ability and a couple occasional others on the side.

14. Gothnak says:

I won’t be playing anything this weekend, as my new rig turns up on Monday!

Then i’ll be playing Dragon Age, Endless Legion, going back to Beyond Divinity (Which never worked on my old 32 bit machine) and maybe buying Elite: Dangerous. And then maybe playing a bit of Crusader Kings 2, now that it’ll boot up in faster than 10 minutes.

Merry Xmas!

• eggy toast says:

Don’t hold your breath for CKII to be speedy, after enough turns the game is molasses no matter what you run it on.

15. Durandir says:

Some Far Cry 4 and Elite: Dangerous. But I just learned that Outcast has gotten a major update, which makes it easier and better to play on new systems. They have done major work on it it seems, here is the text taken straight from GOG.com:
    Outcast 1.1 has been recompiled from the original source code and improved to run smoothly on today’s computers.The main improvements compared to the original version are: multithreaded voxel renderer for higher performances, software bilinear filtering on polygonal meshes, part of the HUD redesigned to match higher resolutions, new high-resolution sky paintings, new launcher, native support of xbox gamepad, user-friendly controller configuration, a lot of bugs fixed and improved stability.
    That means one of the best games ever should be a lot more playable. Of course I have to play that!

• Kaeoschassis says:

How the hell did I not know about this. Thankyou for bringing it to my attention, time for a re-download I think!

16. P.Funk says:

After burning through two of the three campaigns available to Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager I’m still craving the space thing so KSP’s perfectly timed update will be #1 on the list.

Might try a Xenonaughts Ironman run or some DCS A-10C.

17. Colonel J says:

The Secret World for the Christmas Conspiracy event and the new Issue 10 Tokyo content.

Also setting up my new Saitek X52-Pro for Elite Dangerous ready to spend some quality time with it over the holidays. This might require buying furniture to get the stick and throttle in the right place as my desktop isn’t big enough or at the right height, That’s a part of the purchase I didn’t anticipate.

18. DanMan says:

What a creepy aunt that is.

Anyway, I’m still undecided. I guess I’ll try out the DLC songs I got for Rocksmith yesterday. That and probably some Dragon Age. No, not that one. Origins.

19. technoir says:

‘Don’t buy anything from the Steam holiday sale’. It’s a roguelike that you can play only once in a year. Finally beat it last Xmas so now I’m having a go with the ’30+ games on your wishlist’ and ‘200€ of tax returns’ difficulty modifiers.

• LionsPhil says:

Hmm. Do you lose/break conduct if you buy things, but only as gifts for other people?

• technoir says:

Buying gifts is allowed, but frowned upon. It’s like a monk living in celibacy hiring a stripper for his friend.

20. derbefrier says:

Star citizen’s Arena Commander 1.0 which to everyone’s surprised actually released on time. Haven’t got to give it a try yet as I voluteered to work all weekend but from what I see it looks pretty sweet. Also on a personal note I finally ordered me some trackir 5 last night. Should be here In time for new years. Also quitting smoking(on my 6th day quitting cold turkey) seems to have made it difficult for me to fall asleep. It really sucks but hopefully I’ll muddle through it and won’t blow anything up at work.

21. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

The Talos Principle. Really enjoying it, it’s really making me think (in more ways than one). Very satisfying to get through a tricky puzzle, especially as they’re often that bit harder than they first appear (feels like almost every puzzle gives me one or two items too few or has some other extra difficulty so have to get creative).

Might do a little bit of Elite:Dangerous too but I’m mostly holding off until I’ve got a joystick, and I’ve been holding off ordering one until the post system has calmed down after christmas.

22. Laurentius says:

Starlancer / FTL .

Yay ! Space !

23. Sixtoe says:

Richard Burns Rally! (The RBR2015 mod has just been released, although it’s a little broken as I found out)

Still the best rally game on the PC by a country mile :)

24. scut says:

I’m going for a totally co-op assortment for this weekend. Dungeon of the Endless, Dead Space 3 and Payday 2. If you have Payday 2 I heartily recommend you get the Clover DLC. She’s a badass!

25. Lagran says:

Amplitude Studio’s games. Poking around at Endless Space currently — started as Horatio with three other factions, and I ended up in a random map where I’m the only faction in my corner of the map. I’ve also got two wormholes, one on each end of the tiny section I’m in — good I suppose in that it means I can quickly colonise nearby planets, bad in that I probably should research a way to get through them quickly before I find out I’ve missed a huge galactic war somewhere else.

I also have effectively the next two and a bit weeks on holiday, and while I’ll be away from my main gaming computer I’ve loaded up my low-spec laptop with a ton of games from GOG. Why yes, I will be experiencing games like Baldur’s Gate, The Longest Journey, Alpha Centauri, and Fallout 1 for the first time.

26. Dozer says:

Dwarf Fortress. It’s been updated twice since this week’s RPS article about the 0.40.19 update!

Turns out, enveloping your fortress in a completely separate and isolated frame work of exploration tunnels is a lifesaver. My previous fort, I accidentally sank the main staircase into a cavern and let various !fun! creatures into the dining hall.

27. Evertoaster says:

Cataclysm DDA. Zombie Apocalypse roguelike. Super awesome.

28. fish99 says:

Playing Legends of Grimrock and finishing GTA4 (for probably the 6th time). Grimrock took a while to get into and has it’s UI/control issues (especially spell casting) but it’s fun. Saving more demanding games for when I get my shiny new GTX970 next week then I’ll dive into Shadows of Mordor and Lords of the Fallen, maybe some Far Cry 4 too.

29. PopeRatzo says:

You guys are gonna laugh, but I’m having a blast with The Crew and Far Cry 4. I’m impressed with how Ubisoft pulled these two games off after the lackluster Watch Dogs. My rig isn’t up to spec for ACUnity, but that sounds like it was a bit of a cock-up.

Unfortunately for The Crew, the racing doesn’t really get good until you’re like 30 hours into tuning up your cars, but then it’s awfully good for an arcade-y racer. And the exploration is spectacular. I just drove through the Louisiana swamps in a highly modified off-road vehicle to a Spotify soundtrack of weird Folkways bayou music and Cajun fonk and it was exhilarating

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

When you say Spotify soundtrack, do you actually mean that the thing is supported by the game in some way, or that you simply have the program in background?

30. Chaoslord AJ says:

Hurray it’s week-end again. [edit: hurray the xmas holidays…]
    Now there’s The Dark Eye PnP on the table, the long-lasting Euro Truck Simulator 2 (playing Radio Gothic CZ for authenticity) and hopefully some Minecraft Mods, 7 days to die or Dark Souls 2…

31. HELFTAN says:

playing metal gear. on a computer which is well below minimum specifications.
    And to my surprise it is running smothly…

32. Terics says:

I ‘m going to finally try and get into Neo Scavenger, after its been sitting in my Desura forever now. I felt like I got it in a bundle really early in development. But other than that its mainly PS3 games here.

Yakuza 4 is a great and strange in a “this is completely Japanese” sort of way. Its a weird RPG beat ’em up hybrid with a tone that switches from melodramatic crime fiction to learning new moves from a a crazy guys secret underground virtual reality pod. Those hard swings are what really make this game for me.

Guilty Gear Xrd also came out, the half-reboot of the Guilty Gear franchise of anime fighting games. I’m going to try to take a serious competitive stab at that. But the amount of effort it takes might just make me stick to the other 2 games.

33. Slice says:

Everquest Landmark — now officially just “Landmark” — had a big update this week that finally added some (limited) PvE so it’s no longer just for builders. Not being a builder myself, I haven’t played for months, so I’ll check out the changes this weekend.

And I’ll play a Far Cry 4 player-made map or two for a change of pace.

34. NathaI3 says:

Awesomenauts (my go-to multiplayer)
    Binding of Isaac Rebirth (still lots to do to get platinum god)
    in between lots of christmas wrapping and making presents…

35. bobbles says:

Magicka – I plan to simultaneously heal and ignite myself more often than I should be comfortable with.
    Shadow of Mordor – The hack and slash can get a bit repetitive, but the combat is so satisfying. And I really want to ride a graug.
    And maybe spend some time completing the Bioshock Infinite or Borderlands 2 campaigns

36. melnificent says:

I was bored so wrote a quick game about trying to get an Elite Dangerous Refund. Though unlike real life you can actually get one link to melhadf.itch.io

So I’m going to be correcting errors and the RNG for the weekend to keep me amused.

37. malkav11 says:

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Just got to Skyhold, then spent like four hours wandering its halls and talking/exploring/reading. Now it’s time to poke at the next round of areas that’ve been made available to scout. Also, character specializations. Now I can see why they give you three companions of each class! As it was, you can sort of build three different ways across the various NPCs, but you’re still liable to overlap with your PC and/or the others some and there’s only so many approaches the AI can handle, so I pretty much just stuck to the initial trio. Solas’s buffs and winter magic, Cassandra’s tanking and buffing, and Varric’s long range sniping all made for good backup to my Herald’s massive explodey AoEs. But when one is bringing a Templar versus a Champion, or a Rift Mage versus a Necromancer, there’s actually some reason to vary things up somewhat (I bet only one will actually be fully effective, mind.) Still convinced the game’s too big for its own good and spreads the A material too thinly, but it is still pretty compelling. And it seems more stable (though not stable as such, in the cutscenes leading to Skyhold it froze so hard I couldn’t even kill the game process) and better optimized after the recent patches.

Probably also going to work in some Marvel Heroes and/or The Secret World, for holiday festivities (and to try out Venom, which I own from the first Advance Pack for MH). And maybe some shooterering, such as Wolfenstein The New Order or Borderlands 2. Perhaps even some Endless Legend. We shall see. I did at least manage to finish off The Vanishing of Ethan Carter last weekend, and episode one of Tales from the Borderlands.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Not only that, but there are various experiments you can make.

As a random example, my Varric now has exactly 50% crit chance ( yes, i like crafting if you were wondering ), the kicker is that with his spec he both gets cooldown reduction AND stamina replenishment with each crit, which sinergizes well with the “shotgun” escape ability that lets you fire 12 shots at once.

Long story short, stay close to a big target ( or a dragon ) with him and you can spam that ability until the thing dies ( very very quickly ).

It also helps that each of those shots has a 10% chance of casting hidden blades which means another 4 hits thanks to fade-touched crafting materials ( Chiffon? ), netting you another good chance for extra crits assuring your stamina will always be full and your cooldowns almost unexistant. Hah! There really is a lot of depth.

Anyway, most specializations are actually good, the worst ones are not crappy per se, they simply pale in comparison to the godlike ones like Tempest and Knight Enchanter, which are a tad broken. Still, with my example i wanted to point out that even overlooked stuff like Varric’s Artificer can most definitely provide decent obliteration even without going deep into them.

38. EyalLan says:

Still rocking Forza 5. Having a bit of a hard time getting into Diablo 3.

Mostly looking forward to pick up Alien: Isolation when it’s on sale for the One.

• marshallstonemathers says:

Im neck deep in knocking down leaderboards in Driveclub and just picked up Alien Isolation for the weekend :D. So far its very cool. Recomended from one racer to another.

39. raiders5000 says:

RIMWORLD!

40. ToomuchFluffy says:

Still Icewind Dale. In spite of all the grinding, I have kind of learned to enjoy it for what it is. I will probably put in another hour or maybe two today/tomorrow.

I have also started another playthrough of STALKER-Clear Sky. I never quite understood why most people just write it off as the “worst of the three”. Because of the bugs? If that’s the case I have to say that the attitude of having to play something as soon as it comes out seems to mostly just have disadvantages.

41. Voqar says:

My “weekend” lasts two weeks due to holiday vacation…

Lords of Xulima, Valkyria Chornicles, maybe some DAI (kind of lost interest since the combat is so damn boring after 60+ hours), Dungeonmans, Skulls of the Shogun, Stick of Truth, Magicite (beaten it repeatedly but it’s so fun co-op we still play it)., and Endless Legend (although I don’t find this game as amazing as many seem to)..

Xulima is a pleasant surprise.