Surgeon Sim Creators Prototype: Worlds Adrift

In the wake of Kickstarter and its crowd funding brethren, the last couple of years has seen a trend of asking communities to give feedback during development, and even to contribute ideas. But a phrase I haven’t heard a lot during all this is, “is it worth us continuing working on this game or not?” That’s the bold question being asked by Surgeon Sim creators Bossa Studios of their new project, Worlds Adrift. You can see the grapple-hooked, ship-building shared world in very early action below.

Gosh, the games I wish I could have had such input into that I’ve seen over the years. Being asked, genuinely, “Should we bother with this?” for games that are so clearly doomed, rather than staring silently into the enthusiastic eyes of the excitedly hopeful and knowing. However, in this particular case, cor, yes, keep going! It’s got grappling hooks!

Bossa are of course the mad scientists behind Surgeon Simulator and the mad peculiarity of I Am Bread. They want to continue the physicsy strangeness of their games, but this time in multiplayer. Something they say is too lacking.

“Think about it: from deathmatch arenas to MMORPGs, you don’t really play with physics. There’s no throwing a player against another to have both falling to the ground; no chopping down a tree to squash a passing-by creature; no having vehicles crash into parts that fly away and hit everyone around. No crumbling buildings with dangerous debris, no explosions throwing people in different directions… These kind of things don’t exist on multiplayer games, your sword barely grazes your enemies when rampaging through a dungeon with friends.”

That is, of course, complete rubbish. Physics in multiplayer are as old as the GMod hills. But there’s certainly ample room for more of it. But a co-operative world of physics strangeness, with apparently group-built giant airships, and most of all, swinging about on ropes, has much potential for buddy-buddy fun. It’s all a bit vague at the moment, but they promise more details on which people can decide the game’s fate next month.

1. Shadowcat says:

Quite pretty. I like the grappling hooks. Makes me think of Energy Hook.

Is it multiplayer only? That’s how it sounds, and if so I’ll never buy it, so… uh, for me personally it’s not worth them continuing with. But I kinda hope that enough people are interested that it is worth continuing with.

2. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Well that just looks lovely. I know they said it’s all placeholder art but I hope the artstyle doesn’t change too much from how it looks now.

3. Rwlyra says:

What about Half-Life Deathmatch? :S
    There were games (even multiplayer) that made heavy use of physics but another one will surely be welcome (if they can draw minimal population required for multi to be playable that is)

4. subedii says:

I… what?

link to rockpapershotgun.com

One of the biggest mistakes of the caring, sharing internet ways of the 2010s is the idea that if you’re creating something for someone, you need to get those someones’ approval as you create it. I can assure people, based on the last few thousand years of creativity, that this absolutely isn’t the case. In fact, it can only lead to stifling creativity, and deepening the ruts of gaming. Why? Because people don’t know what they want.

Developers! Stop listening! And damned well stop asking! I have no idea what started this colossal crisis of confidence amongst the development world, but good gracious, could everyone get a hold of themselves? You’re the CREATORS, so get on with CREATING. Have some bloody convictions! You want to make a great game, so go ahead and make it, and stop thinking you have to pander to loud-mouths back-seat-developing your game for you. LISTEN ONLY TO ME.

Gosh, games are going to be so much better now everyone’s agreed to all this.

I seriously had to do a double take on the author of this piece and the author of the last one.

• Llewyn says:

LISTEN ONLY TO ME.

This was the bit you were missing I think.

• subedii says:

I most certainly did not. In fact, I was half considering whether to leave that line out or not because I knew someone would take it as proof positive that the entire article was a deliberate troll (it wasn’t, and it’s clear from the context of the entire article). I decided to leave it in for otherwise the implications would be worse.

Crikey, Jim Rossignol even posted this in response to one of my responses:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

I’m not sure any of the other writers need to write such an article. It should be self-evident that not all of us agree with John’s argument there.

His response wasn’t that the original article was making a deliberately fake argument, it was that it was an opinion and not necessarily everyone else at RPS agreed with it.

What makes it all the more bizarre to me is that the original author appears to be happy about the very thing he was castigating people for previously.

• Llewyn says:

Nothing to do with a deliberate troll at all. I do however think it’s an indication that John firmly believes those two contradictory things, and in particular that he strongly believes that he is smarter than everyone else.

• subedii says:

Fair enough, I guess I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

Although having said that, I guess my own reading of that article isn’t the most negative one anymore. :)

Personally I took the final two sentences as more along the lines of bitter sarcasm, along the lines of “yeah nobody’s going to care anyway, and I may be giving commands, but I’m right”. Although I’m open to being wrong on that one.

5. DarkFarmer says:

Game looks cool, hope they can make it. also No idea what john is on about here.

• DarkFarmer says:

Oh I get it now. . . ok. Sorry :D Yeah I dunno, its kinda cynical that devs ask if they should make a thing or not but I guess okay- im there with yas.