TF2’s Mannpower Mode Beta Adds Grappling Hooks!

In a new beta release as part of Team Fortress 2’s Smissmas update, the game is getting grappling hooks! And as is well established, grappling hooks make any game’s score go up by 10%. On a site that doesn’t give scores, that makes TF2 now infinity/100.

Mannpower Mode is a beta addition to the game, using placeholder art and lots of experimental features. And grappling hooks. It adds a Capture The Flag-like mode, they say, with grappling hooks and “nine different types of powerups.” The in-flux mode can currently be played in maps Ctf_foundry and Ctf_gorge.

I need to be honest – I haven’t played TF2 in a good long while. It’s changed a great deal since my days of rushing about as a Heavy or Scout, sort of not helping my team very much. So when I read that this grappling-hook adding new addition disables “random critical hits”, I’ve no idea what that means. And you won’t be able to capture your enemies’ flag unless yours is in your own base, apparently.

Have I mentioned they’re adding a grappling hook? All classes will get it, and it’s used to propel yourself around the game, rather than as a weapon against others. It should, they say, work on any surface.

The power-ups included, the Mannpowers, (alongside a grappling hook) so far are:

“Strength: Double damage for all weapons. Distance damage fall-off immunity.
Resistance: Reduces incoming damage by 50%. Immune to critical hit damage multiplier.
Vampire: All damage dealt is returned as health. 25% damage resistance. Max health increased by 40%.
Warlock: 50% of damage received is reflected back to the attacker (reflected damage cannot directly cause death). Max health increased by 50%.
Haste: Double weapon firing and reload rate. Double clip size and max ammo count. Movement speed increased by 30%.
Regeneration: Ammo, health and metal regenerate. Rate of health regeneration inversely proportional to max health.
Precision: Greatly reduced bullet spread. Distance damage falloff immunity. Rocket and grenade travel speed increased 250%.
Agility: Movement speed increased by 50%. Grapple speed increase. Jump height increased by 80%. Instant weapon switch.
Critical Hit: temporary full crit power for 30 seconds. Respawns in the same place after 60 seconds.”

Anyone can use any of them, by picking them up from their floating about the floor, but only one at a time. They can be dropped at will to swap for another, and in other news, the mode adds grappling hooks.

To get at the new mode, which also adds grappling hooks to the game, you need to click “Play Multiplayer”, then “Play Beta Maps”, and pick “Mannpower mode”.

Smissmas has a lot more going on. Play during the season and you’ll get a bunch of new weapons, a gift called Stuffed Stockings, new items, Naughty and Nice winter crates (that are good until Feb 16th), and the usual pile of tweaks.

Grappling hooks.

1. demicanadian says:

Welcome to the grim future of 1996…

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, this is almost exactly UT99’s relic mutators plus ChaosUT for the grapple.

And I am fine with this.

(Doesn’t capture the intelligence already work this way? I want Chaos CTF, where you have to return your flag manually.)

• demicanadian says:

original Team Fortress (that Quake mod that according to the internet never existed) had grappling hook. Not sure if it was in standard package, or if it was just installed on every server though.

• LionsPhil says:

Awesome.

Maybe they’ll bring back concussion grenades and medic diseases next.

• slight says:

I think that was just in *spit* MegaTF. I ave a vague recollection that it might have been in vanilla TF briefly before being removed though. Ruined balance though, as did a lot of the other stuff in MegaTF.

Edit: God QWTF was good…

• LionsPhil says:

It’s certainly doing…something…making heavies this maneuverable.

Maybe I’m being thick, but I can’t make the damn thing work. It’s in my action slot, I’ve checked (and reasserted) my keybind for action…nada.

• FroshKiller says:

The grappling hook originated with the classic Threewave Capture the Flag mod for Quake 1 back in ’96, I think.

• shoptroll says:

UT relics is the first thing I thought of too when I read about this. However, I think there was a Quake mod (or was it included in the base game or one of the EPs) which used the runes in the game as power ups, which is what inspired the Relic mutator in UT. Regardless, I’m hoping to give this a go once it’s out of beta as Relics were my preferred way of playing UT.

2. shinygerbil says:

Still not Ricochet.

3. jezcentral says:

Anyone else getting the feeling this is in response to Overwatch (aka “TF2 but with power-ups”).

Okay, these ones aren’t class-specific, but it’s almost as if Valve can feel Blizzard breathing down their neck.

Craig Pearson says:

Given how slowly Valve works, almost certainly not.

RaveTurned says:

I don’t know, I can totally see some devs at Valve seeing them in Overwatch, going “Hey, that looks awesome!” and coding it in that week.

4. Oakreef says:

Valve have made 2fort247instantrespawn into an official game mode.

5. AchronTimeless says:

Oh look, for Christmas we’re getting the original (the actual original not that shameless remake Valve did) Team Fortress. Ya know, the one on the first Quake engine.

6. MrFinnishDude says:

I wonder what all the people complaining about the End Of the Line update who were saying “Ugh valve give us new weapons!” “Valve doesnt care about TF2 anymore” “Valve has abandoned their fanbase” “TF2 IS DEAD!1!!” are thinking now

• welverin says:

They’re thinking: “Valve doesnt care about TF2 anymore” “Valve has abandoned their fanbase” “TF2 IS DEAD!1!!”

7. Synesthesia says:

gosh i really don’t want to reinstall this. Dammit!

8. Mr. Anderson says:

Play during the season…
    Does anybody know when this event ends?
    Because right now I only have a shitty laptop and a pretty slow internet connection -.-

• Martel says:

Either I’m blind or the link you posted is the exact opposite of what he/she asked.

I’d also like to know when the event ends. I came across a few snippets in their update about February, so hoping that’s when it ends.

• Jalan says:

The date of expiration on the crates and their specialized keys has (typically) been the signal of the event’s closure. Why they stretched it out so far this time is… puzzling, to say the least.

• Coming Second says:

You mean the duck event? Early january sometime.

The crimbo stuff usually ends around the same time.

9. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

If you’ve been rushing around as a Heavy, no wonder you never helped your team!

10. P.Funk says:

Doesn’t know what a critical hit is?!

11. zentropy says:

OMFGOMFGOMFG

TF2 is getting real CTF!?!?!